Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

Zakath posted:

I'm sure this has been answered previously in the thread, but what's the best way to back-sweeten a cider? I used white labs sweet mead for mine, but it still took it from 1.062 to 0.998. It's tasting pretty good but it's slightly dry. What should I do?

Bottle conditioning or force carbing? If you're bottle conditioning, lactose isn't fermentable so you could probably use that as part of your priming solution. If you're kegging, you can just campden it and mix in some table sugar.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MINT WIZARD
Apr 25, 2007

This isn't going to stop until Pictionary bans the word windmill.
Inevitable update:

Jo3sh posted:

Soon it will get into the actual ferment phase, which is when you see foam and CO2.

This happened.

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice

Zakath posted:

I'm sure this has been answered previously in the thread, but what's the best way to back-sweeten a cider? I used white labs sweet mead for mine, but it still took it from 1.062 to 0.998. It's tasting pretty good but it's slightly dry. What should I do?

If you're not carbonating it use wine conditioner.

crazyfish
Sep 19, 2002

internet celebrity posted:

If you're not carbonating it use wine conditioner.

From http://www.eckraus.com/wine-conditioner-pint.html:

quote:

INGREDIENTS: Liquid invert sugars (fructose and glucose), potassium sorbate.

Seems like something one could make themselves for a fraction of the cost.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Like all girls I love unicorns!

safety dan posted:

This happened.

Cool. The freakout does happen a lot on early batches. I'm glad you asked so we could talk you through it.

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008
I did campden and K-sulfite on mine, then took a bunch of 1/4 cup samples and sweetened them to different levels with turbinado sugar. Once I found a good blend, I just scaled the proportions back up.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm used to using buckets so I have a question. I am going to be brewing 3 gallon batches with the girlfriend, I was planning on using 3 gallon carboys but wasn't sure if it would be too small. Are carboys designed to ferment the amount of gallons they are specified for, or are they designed to hold that much liquid? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I'm just wondering if I should get some 5 gallon carboys or 3 gallon.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Zakath posted:

I'm sure this has been answered previously in the thread, but what's the best way to back-sweeten a cider?

crazyfish posted:

If you're bottle conditioning, lactose isn't fermentable so you could probably use that as part of your priming solution.

Wouldn't lactose also increase body and mouthfeel? This might or might not be desireable. I've heard of people using sucralose or other sugar alcohols as they are not fermentable.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Midorka posted:

I'm used to using buckets so I have a question. I am going to be brewing 3 gallon batches with the girlfriend, I was planning on using 3 gallon carboys but wasn't sure if it would be too small. Are carboys designed to ferment the amount of gallons they are specified for, or are they designed to hold that much liquid? I know it sounds like a stupid question, but I'm just wondering if I should get some 5 gallon carboys or 3 gallon.

You want some headspace in there. You might try 2.5 gallon batches in 3 gallon carboys, but I'd be ready for blowoff just in case.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
I've successfully fermented 5 gallon medium grav beers in 5 gallon carboys (due to necessity) but like Jo3sh said they needed a blowoff and it wasn't pretty.

The carboys hold more than their #gallon but not by much.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Midorka posted:

You could do it if you fermcapped.

Midorka
Jun 10, 2011

I have a pretty fucking good palate, passed BJCP and level 2 cicerone which is more than half of you dudes can say, so I don't give a hoot anymore about this toxic community.
I'm guessing I would be better off doing 3 gallon batches in a 5 gallon carboy then. Thanks.

Edit: BTW it's worth noting that almost every beer will be low-medium gravity at most so there won't be a need for long term storage.

Prefect Six
Mar 27, 2009

Fermcap S is amazing.

Anyone have experience with WY1214? I just pitched it into a Dubbel recipe and I'm wondering how fast I can/should ramp up the temperature? I started it at ~69, but want to get some good esters out of it.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
My cider was fermented for 2 weeks and in bottle for 1 more. Its nicely carbed and has a decent, if basic flavor...
...But it smells like yeast. Will that fade in another week or two or is there something I need to do to avoid that next time?
Recipe was Honeycrisp cider + light brown sugar + wyeast cider.

Also based off this flavor I'd use dark brown sugar next time. I think thats how I'd get a more distinct flavor from it.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Midorka posted:

I'm guessing I would be better off doing 3 gallon batches in a 5 gallon carboy then. Thanks.

Edit: BTW it's worth noting that almost every beer will be low-medium gravity at most so there won't be a need for long term storage.

You can do 3 gallon batches in a 3 gallon carboy just fine with a blow off tube. However if the slight difference in price and space isn't an issue then just get a bigger one and don't worry about it.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

...But it smells like yeast. Will that fade in another week or two or is there something I need to do to avoid that next time?

Let it settle longer next time. Cider takes a while longer than beer to really drop clear. I don't package my ciders for at least 4 weeks after pitching. It will continue to settle in the bottles, just leave it someplace cool and be careful when you pour.

porkface
Dec 29, 2000

Zakath posted:

I dissolve brown sugar in apple juice concentrate, and then stop fermentation by refrigerating. Others use campden tabs to stop fermentation.

Zakath
Mar 22, 2001

Jo3sh posted:

Wouldn't lactose also increase body and mouthfeel? This might or might not be desireable. I've heard of people using sucralose or other sugar alcohols as they are not fermentable.
I've been thinking about bottling the cider so I may have to go the sugar alcohol route. I know of at least one person I'm going to be sharing this that's lactose intolerant, so unfortunately that idea won't work. What's a good starting point for something like Truvia?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

ChiTownEddie posted:

My cider was fermented for 2 weeks and in bottle for 1 more. Its nicely carbed and has a decent, if basic flavor...
Recipe was Honeycrisp cider + light brown sugar + wyeast cider.

Also based off this flavor I'd use dark brown sugar next time. I think thats how I'd get a more distinct flavor from it.

Using regular "table" eating apples tends to make plain tasting cider. Ideally you want a blend of sweet, tart, aromatic, astringent, etc apples. It's pretty hard to find these "cider" apples unless you grow them yourself though. The alternative is to experiment with adding acid blend and tannins to perk it up.

Xylitol is another option for sweetening. It sounds like a horrible chemical but it's derived from the fibers in plant materials.

Jo3sh
Oct 19, 2002

Zakath posted:

I've been thinking about bottling the cider so I may have to go the sugar alcohol route. I know of at least one person I'm going to be sharing this that's lactose intolerant, so unfortunately that idea won't work. What's a good starting point for something like Truvia?

Fill a glass with unsweetened cider. Add some amount of your preferred unfermentable sugar, starting on the low end. taste. Add more as required until it tastes how you like it. Multiply to get the amount you need for your batch. Again, shoot low. Mix with the batch. Add any sugar you require to carbonate. Package.

fullroundaction
Apr 20, 2007

Drink beer every day
Celebrating our first all-grain batch and first outdoor/full volume boil! :dance:

Boy this sure is more work than extract. Better be worth it you assholes :aaarg:

Darth Goku Jr
Oct 19, 2004

yes yes i see, i understand
:wal::respek::stat:
Ugh, like all things brewing related, I've totally missed out on like 4+ months of this thread. Is the Secret Santa past registration? Hell, was there even one?

hellfaucet
Apr 7, 2009

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Ugh, like all things brewing related, I've totally missed out on like 4+ months of this thread. Is the Secret Santa past registration? Hell, was there even one?

No. Yes.

almost
Sep 2, 2012

almost fucked around with this message at 11:05 on Dec 15, 2013

Imasalmon
Mar 19, 2003

Meet me in the Hall of Fame

almost posted:

Has anyone primed/carbonated anything in a bottle with a screw-on cap? How much carbonation can those things hold?

Can you move a bucket once you've pitched the yeast, or does it have to stay still? Also are the gases released dangerous if you are in the same room with the door closed?

Never tried carbing in a bottle with a screw on lid. You can move a bucket once fermentation has started, just don't slosh it around. The primary gas released during fermentation is CO2, which can be incredibly deadly at certain levels. Those levels will not be reached unless your room seals airtight, is fairly small, and you start with a high gravity.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Darth Goku Jr posted:

Paladine_PSoT posted:

:ohdearsass: :ohdearsass: :ohdearsass:

HOMEBREW SECRET SANTA REMINDER

:ohdearsass: :ohdearsass: :ohdearsass:

Just a reminder: If you haven't signed up for this, sign up. We're trading finished beers, equipment, and ingredients. Santees will be assigned next weekend.

almost
Sep 2, 2012

almost fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 15, 2013

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."

almost posted:

Thanks. The reason I ask about the gases is I will probably have the bucket in my basement, but the only room in the basement that won't be cold is my computer room, and I keep that door closed (:ninja:). Is the smell usually very strong?

You might catch a whiff of hops every once in a while but I don't think I've ever noticed persistent smells from sealed fermenters.

almost
Sep 2, 2012

Daedalus Esquire
Mar 30, 2008

Thufir posted:

You might catch a whiff of hops every once in a while but I don't think I've ever noticed persistent smells from sealed fermenters.
Certain yeasts can blow off sulfur smells early on, but I've never experienced it personally.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Imasalmon posted:

Never tried carbing in a bottle with a screw on lid. You can move a bucket once fermentation has started, just don't slosh it around. The primary gas released during fermentation is CO2, which can be incredibly deadly at certain levels. Those levels will not be reached unless your room seals airtight, is fairly small, and you start with a high gravity.

CO2s danger is if you can't get away from it because it is impossible not to realize you are in a dangerous level. Ask all of us idiots who have ever stuck their head in a fermentation freezer.

Beer generally smells like beer when fermenting, wonder of wonders.

Screw tops work in a pinch but you should really just drink a bunch of beer in regular bottles, and then you'll have a bunch of bottles while also having had a bunch of beer.

No_talent
Jul 30, 2009

almost posted:

Has anyone made cider from a brand of apple juice/cider that's available at the Canadian store Sobey's? I haven't looked yet to see which brands they sell that don't have preservatives. I already know I should avoid sulphites, sorbates, and Sodium Benzoate, and that Vit C/Ascorbic Acid and Vit A/Malic acid are OK.

Sobey's sells 3.78L (1 gal) jugs of Sunrype that's nothing but 100% juice and Vitamin C. I used a few jugs in the cyser I have going .

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.
I've never found the level of CO2 released even in a chest freezer to be particularly noxious when there's only one of them - however, it seems to almost multiply when there's two of them in there and you can really gently caress up your sinuses sticking your head in there.

CapnBry
Jul 15, 2002

I got this goin'
Grimey Drawer

zedprime posted:

CO2s danger is if you can't get away from it because it is impossible not to realize you are in a dangerous level. Ask all of us idiots who have ever stuck their head in a fermentation freezer.
Idiot checking in. You'll know if the CO2 levels are high. Your nose burns and your eyes water. It isn't like CO (carbon monoxide) that is odorless and will just knock you out and kill you. I stuck my head down into an airtight fermentation chiller to try and read a temperature gauge. I don't know how high the concentration was or how close I just was to dying, flopped over into a freezer, but I could tell immediately that I needed to get my head out of there.

Unrelated question:

What's the limiting factor on how much a yeast can reproduce? yeastcalc.com tells me if I take 100 million yeast cells and put it in 0.5L of starter on a stir plate, I'll end up with roughly 4 billion yeast cells. If I put 1 billion in the same volume of starter, I end up with almost 14 billion. How does the starter only support the growth of 3.9B cells in the first instance but 13B in the second assuming every cell needs the same food/O2/etc?

Sionak
Dec 20, 2005

Mind flay the gap.
I'm looking at making a Gotslandsricka based on Randy Mosher's recipe in Radical Brewing. The only problem is, the bog mrytle and blessed thistle aren't really easy to come by. The amounts are pretty small in any case, so I was thinking of using some other gruit-type ingredients, like heather or mugwort. Are there any other good substitutes for something like that?

Also, I guess it's traditional to use bread yeast for the Gotlandsdricka fermentation. I've heard that bread yeast is hyperactive and tends not to flocculate very well. Is there anything else to know about it before starting?

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Ever held your breath? That oh god oh god gotta breathe gotta breathe feeling is from CO2 buildup. You kinda notice that. Interestingly our bodies don't have any warning system like that for when we don't get enough oxygen.

PoopShipDestroyer
Jan 13, 2006

I think he's ready for a chair

CapnBry posted:

Idiot checking in. You'll know if the CO2 levels are high. Your nose burns and your eyes water. It isn't like CO (carbon monoxide) that is odorless and will just knock you out and kill you. I stuck my head down into an airtight fermentation chiller to try and read a temperature gauge. I don't know how high the concentration was or how close I just was to dying, flopped over into a freezer, but I could tell immediately that I needed to get my head out of there.

It's a small point to make, but I suspect it has a lot less to do with the freezer being airtight and a lot more to do with CO2 being denser than air. Even if the lid wasn't even close to airtight, you'd still be in danger.

almost
Sep 2, 2012

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

Sionak posted:

Also, I guess it's traditional to use bread yeast for the Gotlandsdricka fermentation. I've heard that bread yeast is hyperactive and tends not to flocculate very well. Is there anything else to know about it before starting?

They are designed to produce a lot of CO2 quickly. I've used some that flocced quickly and others that never did. I would try to use active dry yeast and avoid the rapid-rise and bread-machine yeasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

internet celebrity
Jun 23, 2006

College Slice
So, kegging. It's time for me to upgrade. Is this deal on homebrewing.org the best deal to be had online for a starter kit? I was going to add on the 10lb steel tank, threaded disconnects, o-rings, and poppits and with all that it comes to just under $200. Is there a better deal out there I'm not aware of?