Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Barry Convex posted:

What was the last Vertigo launch from a creator not doing WFH at DC? Dominique Laveau? Already cancelled, and I imagine that Saucer Country isn't long for this world, at least at Vertigo, now that Cornell isn't doing any WFH books there.

Punk Rock Jesus?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!

Was Taters posted:

Punk Rock Jesus?

Ah, okay.

That's just a miniseries, right? Have any others been announced for the future?

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

Barry Convex posted:

Ah, okay.

That's just a miniseries, right? Have any others been announced for the future?

Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy are doing a long-ish mini called The Wake for them next year, I think.

RevKrule
Jul 9, 2001

Thrilling the forums since 2001

I don't think Abnett's doing any WFH for DC. Isn't the New Deadwardians still going?

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

RevKrule posted:

I don't think Abnett's doing any WFH for DC. Isn't the New Deadwardians still going?

Abnett was on ... Res Man? I think?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

RevKrule posted:

New Deadwardians is meant to be a series of mini-series, I hear. It can be switched to the main DC imprint between bouts.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
Holy poo poo. Karen is Vertigo. Without her the line would never have been what it is today. Either she is tired of the comic business or she has real problems with current management. I wonder if all the talent she nurtured will soon be leaving DC.

Chaltab
Feb 16, 2011

So shocked someone got me an avatar!

bobkatt013 posted:

Either she is tired of the comic business or she has real problems with current management.
Honestly, who doesn't have problems with the current management?

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Chaltab posted:

Geoff Johns? Also I just mean she stayed at DC during the 80s,90s, and 2000s, yet this is when she left.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Has anything else hit Vertigo like Losing Hellblazer and Swamp Thing?

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

bobkatt013 posted:

Holy poo poo. Karen is Vertigo. Without her the line would never have been what it is today. Either she is tired of the comic business or she has real problems with current management. I wonder if all the talent she nurtured will soon be leaving DC.

I see it coming about one of two ways. If she is leaving just because she has been with the company for 30 years and figures it is time to retire with no hard feelings then I don't see anyone leaving Vertigo and possibly she could pick her replacement or oversee a clean transition.
If she is leaving because she got hosed over, even if it isn't publicaly stated as such, then yea, I can see their being major issues with her departure and it will be interesting to see if people do leave.
Honestly though, I don't see DC loving around too much with Vertigo. Yea there is the Hellblazer thing, but then again there is a bunch of other titles that just don't fit in with the DCU. I don't see why they would want to tinker with something that has been running smoothly for so long.

edit^^^^^^ I don't think Vertigo losing Swamp Thing was that big a deal. It is most foundly remembered for Moore's run, which predated Vertigo (although it has been retroactively collected as a Vertigo tradebook, like Animal Man) and as far as I know every time there has been Vertigo title of Swamp Thing the title has been cancelled.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
They had to cancel China Mieville's Swamp Thing so he could go to DC for 6 months before it rebooted.
Karen is editing China's Dial H, so she was definitely involved.
That has got to sting

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

StumblyWumbly posted:

They had to cancel China Mieville's Swamp Thing so he could go to DC for 6 months before it rebooted.
Karen is editing China's Dial H, so she was definitely involved.
That has got to sting

Argh if this fucks with Dial H

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Was Taters posted:

Argh if this fucks with Dial H
Also, (and I know you don't care) Stewart tweeted that there's no chance of Seaguy 3 without Berger.
Didio riding into the new year on a pale horse flinging poo poo comics everywhere.

Benny the Snake
Apr 11, 2012

GUM CHEWING INTENSIFIES

StumblyWumbly posted:

Also, (and I know you don't care) Stewart tweeted that there's no chance of Seaguy 3 without Berger.
Didio riding into the new year on a pale horse flinging poo poo comics everywhere.
So is Dan Didio worse or as bad as Joe Quesada?

Adam Strange
Oct 11, 2012

He laughs. The line goes dead.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Is Seaguy not creator-owned? That seems really weird unless it's a situation where DC owns it but Morrison and Stewart control it.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

StumblyWumbly posted:

I don't want to see anyone not get the comic they want!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

Benny the Snake posted:

Worse. Quesada is able to keep most of the talent and has not caused a mass exodus.

Mister Chompers
Sep 11, 2011

StumblyWumbly posted:

Dammit dammit dammit okay I'm on the Didio hate train now.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

Unless he tweeted something new, he said that he didn't see how it could happen. Except I'm 99% sure Seaguy is owned by Morrison and could just as easily go to Image if Vertigo went belly up. Collecting some giant edition might be difficult, but Eric Stephenson has convinced me that he can work miracles with all the hoops he's jumped through for Brandon Graham.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Chaltab posted:

Yeah, it occurs to me it's not often when you hear about creators/artists who go on record saying how happy they are with "the current management."

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Joe Quesada did things that were great long term for the company. Unless you really like Geoff Johns, I can't say the same about Dan DiDio, which I guess answers the question of "Who doesn't have problems with mamangement in this company?".

I wonder if the Hellblazer thing was the last straw for her.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The Seaguy issue is that it sold really poorly but Berger believed in it and pushed for it, so it still happened. Not many others would do that.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

StumblyWumbly posted:

The Seaguy issue is that it sold really poorly but Berger believed in it and pushed for it, so it still happened. Not many others would do that.

Yeah, but again, if it's owned by Morrison, low numbers at DC are generally decent numbers at Image.

Mister Roboto posted:

Yeah, it occurs to me it's not often when you hear about creators/artists who go on record saying how happy they are with "the current management."

I can't recall anyone saying anything bad about Karen Berger...

Maybe that's why she doesn't fit in?

ParliamentOfDogs
Jan 29, 2009

My genre's thriller... What's yours?
The ending to Scalped ruled. I loved that Catcher was just so crazy that he apparently was accepted into a pack of wild dogs and they are following him around wherever he goes and helping him do stuff. It was really menacing and adorable all at the same time.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
Absolute Sandman has come down to about £50 a volume, so I finally decided to order them, or at least the first 4 (i.e. the main story). Got volume 4 today (sent separately) and it looks beautiful. Might plump for the other two volumes at some point, but I can't decide if it's worth it.

Gonna give my old (nice condition) set of graphic novels as a Crimbo present to my friend who got me into Alan Moore. :greatgift:

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

OneSizeFitsAll posted:

Absolute Sandman has come down to about £50 a volume, so I finally decided to order them, or at least the first 4 (i.e. the main story). Got volume 4 today (sent separately) and it looks beautiful. Might plump for the other two volumes at some point, but I can't decide if it's worth it.

Gonna give my old (nice condition) set of graphic novels as a Crimbo present to my friend who got me into Alan Moore. :greatgift:

I bought the deluxe Death hardcover, because I was happy when it was solicited before it got turned into an Absolute. Definitely glad I got one I didn't have to shell out $100 (or whatever it is on Amazon) for.

side_burned
Nov 3, 2004

My mother is a fish.

Benny the Snake posted:

There are legitimate criticisms to be made about Quesada as marvel's EIC but his flaws are the flaws of a fan boy, I can understand and forgive those, I wouldn't even say he was bad at the job. I don't understand Didio. He doesn't seem to like the comics DC has made, before or since he was EIC, or even to understand their appeal and at the same time insists on micromanaging everything that the company does unless the writer is Grant Morison. In all honesty Warner Brothers firing DiDio and hiring Quesada would be a huge improvement.

side_burned fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Dec 11, 2012

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

side_burned posted:

There are legitimate criticisms to be made about Quesada as marvel's EIC but his flaws are the flaws of a fan boy, I can understand and forgive those, I wouldn't even say he was bad at the job. I don't understand Didio. He doesn't seem to like the comics DC has made, before or since he was EIC, or even to understand their appeal and at the same time insists on micromanaging everything that the company does unless the writer is Grant Morison. In all honesty Warner Brothers firing DiDio and hiring Quesada would be a huge improvement.

I am not sure he would. He seems to really love the Marvel Characters unless its Peter's marriage. I would say that Didio is closer to Jemas, and DC had no one with the balls to cut him off before he got too powerful. Seriously read his FF pitch.

Fight My Dad!
Mar 9, 2008

I wish I had Paul Newman's eyes
That would be nice.

side_burned posted:

In all honesty Warner Brothers firing DiDio and hiring Quesada would be a huge improvement.

Firing DiDio and hiring nobody would be an improvement.

Frankly, everyone above Editor level at DC deserves the boot. It's one of the worst-run companies I've ever encountered.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Django Unchained #1 is out right now. I'm pretty sure the entire adaption will be through before it comes out here in New Zealand. I'm kinda worried I wont have the self control to wait.
Anyone buying it? Wanna review how it works as an issue?

edit: I thought Quentin was gonna script it himself. This is a pretty easy miss then.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 11:08 on Dec 19, 2012

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

So, I got a chapter's(book store) gift card, and I was thinking of expanding my bill willingham fables collection, I have up to the current collected tpb, so I was thinking of looking into jack of fables and getting the first collected volume of fairest, has anyone read either of them and can confirm that they are good enough for me to spend money on?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Renzuko posted:

So, I got a chapter's(book store) gift card, and I was thinking of expanding my bill willingham fables collection, I have up to the current collected tpb, so I was thinking of looking into jack of fables and getting the first collected volume of fairest, has anyone read either of them and can confirm that they are good enough for me to spend money on?

I haven't read Fairest, but Jack of Fables is worth picking up if you can get it for cheap. It's mostly comedic, and genuinely funny/clever during the first half, but it overstays its welcome and eventually peters out without much fanfare (I personally like the way it ends. It's completely dumb and absurd).

Only get it if you really like Fables, though.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

Renzuko posted:

I've just dumped Fables, but I'm still going to be grabbing Fairest. Like Hakkesshu said though, it's really only good if you like Fables.

Renzuko
Oct 10, 2012

So, that's a yes then, I'm gonna make sure I get fairest, then see how many volumes of jack of fables it takes me to get to 40 dollars for free shipping.

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
So I finally managed to finish Scapled. Dear god what an amazingly fun series. From the very beginning you could see that the series was going to be an Odyssey and It did not fail to deliver. Like I'm genuinely upset that I finished it cause now that means it's over. I looked up the writer on Wikipedia and see that now he's doing superhero work and that's the saddest thing I ever heard. Never liked superhero comics and I feel his amazing writing is wasted on that poo poo.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Volume posted:

So I finally managed to finish Scapled. Dear god what an amazingly fun series. From the very beginning you could see that the series was going to be an Odyssey and It did not fail to deliver. Like I'm genuinely upset that I finished it cause now that means it's over. I looked up the writer on Wikipedia and see that now he's doing superhero work and that's the saddest thing I ever heard. Never liked superhero comics and I feel his amazing writing is wasted on that poo poo.

His superhero stuff is pretty great, though, you should read it before you start poo-pooing because it's about superheroes and not super-badass Dash Bad Horse who beats the poo poo out of guys with nunchuks and gets in shoot-outs at meth labs and just storms away really angry.

BENGHAZI 2 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on Dec 31, 2012

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Hey man, they can't all be politically dubious, poorly paced HBO dramas!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I read the first trade of Scalped and wasn't at all interested in reading more. Meanwhile, I really like Aaron's work on Wolverine & The X-Men and now Thor.

But yeah, opinions and all that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
Saucer Country ends with #14, as per DC's April solicitations. Given sales, this was pretty much inevitable (especially after Cornell stopped doing work-for-hire at DC), but it's still disappointing.

• Locked thread