Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
krystal.lynn
Mar 8, 2007

Good n' Goomy

Zetta_Slow posted:

Anyone have a site or a list of the exact conditions for the true ending which is spoiler free? I would look around a bit, but I'm terrified something will get spoiled if I look for it.

This is about as spoiler free as it gets: http://www.giantbomb.com/guides/persona-4-ending-guide-spoiler-free/1277/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
The OP has the first step- this is in late December:

quote:

After some dramatic plot events, Yosuke will ask you a series of 6 questions. Answers these questions right to avoid the bad end. (The right answers are 3,1,3, 2, 3, 2)

The game will continue for a while after that. You'll have a prompt a few days later that lets you select a name from a huge list. You have to get that right, but it shouldn't be too hard at that point (you get three tries). On the last day of the game (you'll know it when you're there), you have free time to go and talk to everyone in Inaba- talk to every S Link you maxed. Afterwards, go back to Junes. The game will give you a prompt that says something like "There's no reason to go back there." Go there anyway. Tada! You're locked into the True Ending.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
Alright, thanks guys!
Also, I just did Rise's and Teddie's boss fights on the first day possible, so I'm in June, am I even halfway through? I've spent hours grinding, and love it for some weird reason.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Zetta_Slow posted:

Alright, thanks guys!
Also, I just did Rise's and Teddie's boss fights on the first day possible, so I'm in June, am I even halfway through? I've spent hours grinding, and love it for some weird reason.

Still before the halfway point. It's a very long game.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!

Larsson posted:

Still before the halfway point. It's a very long game.

38 hours, 32 of which is grinding, just trying to fill that compendium, also, do you keep spell cards on NG+?

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Ugh, cheerful social link music gets me every time.

Not sure about the spell cards. I'm still in August and I've got a bit to go for my first playthrough.

Also gently caress yes, finally got max expression.

corn on the cop fucked around with this message at 06:57 on Dec 4, 2012

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Vaancor posted:

:ssh: Also, has anybody checked out the TV Listings option after midnight on the Vita's clock yet?

Just tried this, and :iia:

Does it stay that way for the whole hour from midnight to 1 am?

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I just beat (late spoilers) That hippie angel thing

This isn't going to get easier is it. He beat me the first time in a single turn (he changed the atmosphere and was blasting out weaknesses) and just barely scraped by (Well, everyone was full health... almost out of all MP though)

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Sounds like you're really, really underlevelled if you're struggling there. When I got to that boss I basically gave him a light shove and he fell over.

Edit: That or you haven't been fusing very good personas.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Zetta_Slow posted:

38 hours, 32 of which is grinding, just trying to fill that compendium, also, do you keep spell cards on NG+?

In NG+ you lose your inventory but the registered spell cards stay with Marie, your persona compendium is still there, and Daidara keeps the same selection of items you unlocked. You carry over your Yen too so you can buy back some of it. It is a problem if you've only been using found items all game and using up your skillcards instead of giving them to Marie.

W.T. Fits posted:

Just tried this, and :iia:

Does it stay that way for the whole hour from midnight to 1 am?

What happens? As depressing as it is to say I keep falling asleep before midnight these days

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

What happens? As depressing as it is to say I keep falling asleep before midnight these days

Teddie shows up, running along that line of static-filled screens at the bottom of the TV listing, and one of them will change color; touch that one and Teddie will show up as a silhouette on a static-filled screen, say a few lines to you and you can touch him using the Touchscreen.

It's not much, admittedly, but it's still kind of cool that they tossed that in there. :3:

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

In NG+ you lose your inventory but the registered spell cards stay with Marie, your persona compendium is still there, and Daidara keeps the same selection of items you unlocked. You carry over your Yen too so you can buy back some of it. It is a problem if you've only been using found items all game and using up your skillcards instead of giving them to Marie.

Does Yu's level still carry over?

I was never a fan of that, having options to trivialize or not is always better to me.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Volt Catfish posted:

Does Yu's level still carry over?

I was never a fan of that, having options to trivialize or not is always better to me.

I think in vanilla P4 it didn't but in P3 it did. I'm not sure what they've done in Golden, I haven't beat it yet but read about NG+ online.

Dezinus
Jun 4, 2006

How unsightly.
God drat, Magician cards are so hosed. Oni is pretty badass already, but I got his Cruel Attack upgraded to Vile Assault and just murdered the Marukyu bonus boss. If only my teammates didn't sound so bummed when I cancel the all-out attack!

New Game+ is going to be even more of a cakewalk than Vanilla P4 was.

e: Whoops, wrong card. Emporer cards are pretty dope too, though.

Dezinus fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 4, 2012

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

― Corey Dostoyevsky
Goodness gracious. Kanji at the beach :stare:

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Larsson posted:

Goodness gracious. Kanji at the beach :stare:

I haven't gotten to this yet but I have an idea what it's like because I totally said it was him I wanted to see in a swimsuit, and the description he gave is just :allears:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I dressed my whole team up as the Power Rangers and they actually have different win-poses and stuff they say when they win now, holy poo poo.

Kanji is the black ranger, MC is the red ranger, Naoto is Blue Ranger, Teddie is White Ranger.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

I dressed my whole team up as the Power Rangers and they actually have different win-poses and stuff they say when they win now, holy poo poo.

Kanji is the black ranger, MC is the red ranger, Naoto is Blue Ranger, Teddie is White Ranger.

Most of the costumes give you different win poses and things they say :ssh:

Also make sure you "talk to others" every time you change costumes.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

TheJoker138 posted:

Most of the costumes give you different win poses and things they say :ssh:

Also make sure you "talk to others" every time you change costumes.

Yeah I try out every costume just to get the Talk options but in the November dungeon they tell you your costumes aren't appropriate :smith:

I was using the Agent costumes for a long time and I never noticed different winposes though.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I feel extremely overpowered with my MC right now.

I'm lv78
I have a lv72 Decarabia that has 79 magic
It also knows Agidyne, Maragidyne, Megidolaon, Fire Amp and Mind Charge
I have the Blaze Vow equipped

Bosses are stupidly trivial, beat hippy angel so easily, especially when he changed atmosphere so I could kill it with fire even faster.

In the december dungeon now, and i'm clearing trashmobs with a single agidyne, provided they don't resist fire or something.

Also, holy crap, I just hit a glorious hand for just under 12k damage with a mind charged, attack-boosted megidolaon.

-EDIT- Note to self; don't use that Maragidyne against multiple enemies if you're unsure of their resists. Just had 2 enemies reflect back, took MC from 520hp down to 42

HiveCommander fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Dec 4, 2012

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?
It took a while and a lot of fiddling (I really need a fusion chart) but I pulled out a Victory Cry on a Matador. Along the way I picked up Agneyastra, Brave Blade, Arms Master and Repel Physical. Now I'm wondering what other skills I could pick up.

This... this is going to get silly, isn't it?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I just got the coronet armor... yeah, that is certainly a costume I'm never using again. Also, for those who don't know the MC gets a costume that dressed him up like Dojima and it is awesome.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Sex_Ferguson posted:

I just got the coronet armor... yeah, that is certainly a costume I'm never using again. Also, for those who don't know the MC gets a costume that dressed him up like Dojima and it is awesome.

Details!! How do I obtain said costume??

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

HiveCommander posted:

Details!! How do I obtain said costume??

I'm not sure you should want the Coronet armor, but it's obtained near the end of the game from a quest by Kashiwagi that is literally just answer like two questions correctly and it's yours.

The Hardboiled one I just bought from Okina after November.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

I don't remember the game being this difficult.

I've been doing a thing where I'm focusing on social links over levels and every dungeon seems to blow me out of the water, I was in my low 20s when I fought Kanji's Shadow with my best Persona being a level 18 Jack Frost and Yosuke still had his starting weapons. :downs:

I just can't find the time to go into the TV World unless it's absolutely necessary. :sigh:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

May as well ask, when's a good idea to drop Black Frost? He served me up through Heaven and he still practically 1-shots everything and deals insane damage, but I really feel like I should of moved on from something I got before the fourth dungeon by now.

Everything else just looks so weak by comparison though.

Any suggestions? That... aren't Mara.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'd say the next dungeon is a good chance for you to start getting some new Persona because it drops a lot of them that have great skills and Black Frost's stuff ain't gonna cut it for the next dungeon. Next dungeon has guys like Melchizedek and Siegfried, if you have a chance to make one of them or get them from an arcana chance, DO IT.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

May as well ask, when's a good idea to drop Black Frost? He served me up through Heaven and he still practically 1-shots everything and deals insane damage, but I really feel like I should of moved on from something I got before the fourth dungeon by now.

With how Shuffle Time works now, I'd say if Black Frost is still working for you that late in the game, keep him. Try and get some good skill cards, go for sweep bonuses so you can slurp up all those delicious stat up cards. I am on my second playthrough right now and using a Jack Frost and Black Frost that are pumped way the hell up and it rules. Jack with Mabufudyne, Mind Charge, Ice Amp and Ice Boost and Black with the same poo poo except with fire rather than ice. Everything dies real quick with these two.

Also, why would you not want to use Mara, what's wrong with you :colbert:

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

I don't remember the game being this difficult.

I've been doing a thing where I'm focusing on social links over levels and every dungeon seems to blow me out of the water, I was in my low 20s when I fought Kanji's Shadow with my best Persona being a level 18 Jack Frost and Yosuke still had his starting weapons. :downs:

I just can't find the time to go into the TV World unless it's absolutely necessary. :sigh:

You can get a free weapon for Yosuke if you talk to him in the TV hub and go to the area where you fought his shadow. Gives +40SP which is really useful for dungeon grinding.

I did what you're doing now and just went through the first couple of dungeons quite underlevelled and yeah it was pretty hard. I couldn't beat the bosses without using items, you might need more of those at your level. I straight up had to take multiple trips for early dungeons though.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I managed to get Fire Amp AND fire boost on a Daisoujou in the same dungeon and I've been using him. He also gets the best Light skill in the game (always works if the enemy doesn't resist it) and it's unique to him.

Edit: And gave him Cool Breeze so I can afford to cast it

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Alright, will look into those, my Black Frost at the moment has fire amp (or boost) and maragydne or however it's spelled, megadoloan, and mind boost. Equipped with the fire vow as well the dude just pushes all enemies away for 500+ damage to everything (1200+ with mind charge) and the whole no weakness thing has just been a huge boon for me.

Also it's probably me but it seems like almost everything is weak to ice. Whenever I enter a dungeon it seems 50/50 weak to fire and 80/20 weak to ice. Teddie is getting a lot of use because of it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Alright, will look into those, my Black Frost at the moment has fire amp (or boost) and maragydne or however it's spelled, megadoloan, and mind boost. Equipped with the fire vow as well the dude just pushes all enemies away for 500+ damage to everything (1200+ with mind charge) and the whole no weakness thing has just been a huge boon for me.

Also it's probably me but it seems like almost everything is weak to ice. Whenever I enter a dungeon it seems 50/50 weak to fire and 80/20 weak to ice. Teddie is getting a lot of use because of it.

Fire Amp is +50%, Boost is 25%. You can only have 2 boosting things at once so yeah Fire Amp + Fire Vow is better than having boost but you have to dedicate your accessory to it. Daisoujou gets a high magic stat too so with the same exact skills he should do more damage but instead of 3 immunities he has 2 immunities and a weakness to dark (which isn't a big deal)

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
It's funny how easy it is to completely destroy the bosses in the late game when Rise tosses buffs at you. Hell, she even can power charge and mind charge your characters for you, it's so hysterical how much it trivializes later bosses.

EDIT:
Last Boss spoilers
Also, I can confirm that Adachi and Marie appear in the cheering you on after you get pulled into the abyss by Izanami if you max their S. Links.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Dec 4, 2012

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
What skills are those / how do you get them on her?

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

DeathBySpoon posted:

Raise her S-Link and she just starts doing it.

Maxing her S-Link early trivializes the game, especially since she'll block an attack that would kill the MC once per fight once it hits 10.

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

I think I tansitioned to Tam Lin after Black Frost and kept him for about 2+ dungeons worth. For NG+ I'm gonna try keeping Izanagi the whole way through.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

DeathBySpoon posted:

Just advance her S. Link, that's really all you need to do and everything else takes care of itself.

Also I finished the game so I'm gonna spoil it one last time before my next playthrough.

ENDING SPOILERS
Wow, it is honestly amazing how far this game goes with Marie. Whenever P4G first introduced Marie in Japan, I knew full and well she was either going to be one of two things: A character who is just an S. Link with no influence on the story or one who is shove so terribly into the story and the game tries to essentially force her down your throat. Her entire character arc is boring and tried, it's not even really complete when you finish her S. Link, her entire dungeon is bad, the reveal that she is basically a double agent is dumb, the fact that the Sagiri are a thing, but only one of them seemed to have its own identity is dumb and doesn't answer any questions. Her boss battle also managed to be the worst in the game, thank you for making a game of rather solid boss fights then adding this stupid gimmick, Atlus. The ending where it's revealed she's actually the good half of Izanami is the worst loving plot twist, because it just tells you that Marie only exists so you can date the villain. And finally, the bonus ending where she's reincarnated as a weather person who controls the weather and retains all of her memories is probably the least worst out of anything involving Marie, but it's still very much like what I'd read out of a fanfiction.

I don't want to make the lame joke of calling her a Mary Sue, so I won't, but this character is just so obtrusive to the main cast that I can not like her in any capacity just because she said "Fsteak."

Now I'm sorry for the giant spoiler tag for anyone else so I'll just say this. This is a really good port of the PS2 game with a lot of cool new stuff, everything added either makes the game intuitive, more fun or in general is just plainly inoffensive to not really warrant criticism... except for the spoiler I posted. Only read that if you've gotten the bonus ending of the game and want to read my silly ramblings about a fictional character.

Anyways, not that I've got all my attributes maxed I can fully enjoy my second playthrough and hopefully max all the S. Links.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Sex_Ferguson posted:

Big Ole Ending Rant

Here there be endgame spoilers:

As someone who didn't play P4 on PS2, I assumed that Marie being a reflection/part of Izanami was logical, and romancing her being "canon", because the impression I got was that the Protagonist was a similar reflection of Izanagi. Hence why your first Persona is Izanagi, and your final one is its "true" form. Not that "star cross'd lovers across time" isn't cheesy, but its not that bad.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Just for shits and giggles, I watched a few episodes of the Persona 4 anime. It wasn't bad as far as animes go, but why the hell does Chie have a south american accent in it? It's the same voice actress as this game, right?

Anyway, I'm trying to max all s.links in my second playthrough. Everything is going smoothly, but I cannot for the life of me catch the kind of bug needed for a certain Fox quest, even with perfect timing (done it 5 times now, just a bunch of stag beetles though). Does the jewel beetle only come out later in the game, or does the RNG just really hate me?

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Cannot Find Server posted:

Just for shits and giggles, I watched a few episodes of the Persona 4 anime. It wasn't bad as far as animes go, but why the hell does Chie have a south american accent in it? It's the same voice actress as this game, right?

Anyway, I'm trying to max all s.links in my second playthrough. Everything is going smoothly, but I cannot for the life of me catch the kind of bug needed for a certain Fox quest, even with perfect timing (done it 5 times now, just a bunch of stag beetles though). Does the jewel beetle only come out later in the game, or does the RNG just really hate me?

It doesn't come up a lot, but Chie is actually the daughter of Brazilian immigrants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Cannot Find Server posted:

I believe you have to learn about it from the old man fisherman before you can catch it a the shrine. Make sure to ask him about the guardian, and the type of bait needed to catch it. If you can't ask him about the guardian yet, then go to the beach and attempt to fish there, then go back and talk with him.

• Locked thread