Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~
Jane has mastered all forms of terrain navigation, it would seem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
God these updates... :smith:

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I cant believe it's not douche.

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I think the thought of actually writing Fefetasprite dialogue is terrifying Hussie to his core or something.

Ammat The Ankh
Sep 7, 2010

Now, attempt to defeat me!
And I shall become a living legend!
Fefeta wasn't even in the last spritelog, that's cheating.

Speaking of which, Fefeta is mute? Or does combining two plot irrelevant characters increase their irrelevance so exponentially that they cannot even attempt to converse?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Oh, Roxy, you have no discretion.

Jane does parkour, apparently.

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
It would be funny/awful if that fenestrated wall lead to the one that Jake is holding!

All aboard the teenage drama train. :toot:

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

MyFaceBeHi posted:

It would be funny/awful if that fenestrated wall lead to the one that Jake is holding!

The windows are linked. We've seen that green ones like that are created by Roxy's portal gun, and we already know what's on the other side of Jake's.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

MyFaceBeHi posted:

Jake's holding the one that looks different, that Jade and John are going to come bursting through.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Oh man.

:smith:

The train doesn't stop wrecking.

The only place this can possibly go is Roxy snapping and being a douche to Dirk. Then the douchearound will be complete.

These poor kids have so many Social Problems.

Also, I'm both laughing at and legitimately pleased by Roxy being serious about her drinking problem. That was honestly the most uncomfortable thing about her character to me, for personal reasons, and it's cool that it's not just a joke. Even if it's still funny.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Not loving cool Jane. You don't tell an alcoholic to go drink. :colbert:

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.

Bongo Bill posted:

The windows are linked. We've seen that green ones like that are created by Roxy's portal gun, and we already know what's on the other side of Jake's.

Hey, my excuse is I just woke up! YOU try thinking straight when staring at an iPad screen at 7:30 in the morning!

That and I completely forgot about the whole windows being linked thing.

tinaun
Jun 9, 2011

tell me...
Interesting analysis of Homestuck and Gnosticism.

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

If I had a nickel for every time someone called something a "Gnostic story"...

When will people realize that Gnosticism can be pretty much read into just about every post-modern media franchise?

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah, I was actually kind of angry about that. Had to take a second to remind myself that these are fictional characters and not real people. This is what this series does to me. :(

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

ComradeCosmobot posted:

When will people realize that Gnosticism can be pretty much read into just about every post-modern media franchise?
What? Gnosticism in media is like... a thing?

I had no idea. To me it's been just a neat mythology I happened read about once, so I'm kind of surprised and interested in how it's cropped up here.

Though you have to admit, Homestuck's pretty explicitly got some Gnostic in it, what with Gnostic deities, and "gardenGnostic" and all. The whole recurring theme of hosed up systems of creation and flawed creators are rather unambiguously Gnostic as well.

What kinds of works have you seen that were casually/stupidly linked to Gnosticism?

QVC Drinking Game
Jun 23, 2005

ComradeCosmobot posted:

That's true but when a something literally named after the Demiurge becomes a character in the story (and one that, it seems, is going to become pretty important at some point), the direct relevance of gnosticism becomes a conclusion that's hard to escape from.

Plom Bar
Jun 5, 2004

hardest time i ever done :(

QVC Drinking Game posted:

That's true but when a something literally named after the Demiurge becomes a character in the story (and one that, it seems, is going to become pretty important at some point), the direct relevance of gnosticism becomes a conclusion that's hard to escape from.

Sburb as a creation myth was literally one of the first ideas for Homestuck Hussie ever had. If people are only just now making this connection, I really don't know what to think.

krakagar
Sep 26, 2010

Plom Bar posted:

Sburb as a creation myth was literally one of the first ideas for Homestuck Hussie ever had. If people are only just now making this connection, I really don't know what to think.

I'm quite sure it's possible to understand what a creation myth is without knowing anything about Gnosticism.

One of the great things about Homestuck is that it's possible to enjoy without necessarily understanding every single reference and layer to it. At its most basic level it's still a fun story about a bunch of kids playing a game, and while it's certainly rewarding to know about every little thing it's referencing, and be able to spot the larger themes and ideas, it manages to keep that level of density while also being just a hella fun story.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

Yeah, some things are just too assholish to be excused by "but i was angry :saddowns:". Not cool, Jane. :smith:

Luminous Obscurity
Jan 10, 2007

"The instrument you know as a piano was once called a pianoforte, because it can play both loud and quiet notes."
At least she followed it with "poo poo, that was out of line. I just need to be alone right now."

That makes it better right?

:smith:

Midnight Raider
Apr 26, 2010

Roxy, there's a time and a place for jokes/references to you being a femme fatale, and that wasn't the most helpful occasion.

Also I wonder if the catfish has an issue, or if Hussie is just being flighty about her actually talking because of how distracting she could be for an irrelevant x2 character combob when we have other things to worry about.

Funnily enough, one of the bigger things I took from this is the fact that it paints Lord English as something I hadn't entirely connected before; The pimp basically embodies the concept of predestination, lack of free will, and the "Tyranny of the alpha timeline". Given how hard we've been hammered with the fact that he likes controlling things, breaking free will, is constantly heralded by the "He is already here" predestination mantra, not to mention the predestination of his arrival being a comparatively early thing to learn when he himself arrived so late. He's supposed to be the unbeatable, inescapable master of time travel(and death), in a story where it proves to be the unbreakable force behind nearly everything.

He's both the main villain, and utterly intertwined with the theme of being unable to escape fate which is one of the biggest things I've seen fans actively react to with distaste, and hoped the series would jump out of. Aside from the fact that the characters(Notably Karkat) themselves have remarked on the alpha problem, it's definitely not an issue lost on Hussie, and the fact that the primary villain is tied into the whole kit and kaboodle, well.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Everything Roxy says is wonderful. A Shakespearean bump indeed.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Yeah Jane and Roxy both kind of screwed up that conversation. Nothing on the scale of Jake and Jane's conversation, but Roxy immediately expressing interest in Jake as soon as Jane started saying she was through with him was... ill-timed.

Also, waking up with a guilty hangover is in no way aided by hearing Jane tell Roxy she liked her better drunk. You just know the next time they speak Roxy will have gone back to drinking because she wants her friends to like her.

Also also, my guess is Fefeta can talk, but will never be shown talking.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
Fefeta will only talk when she can make a catfish pun, which is not often. Her existence is a tragic and tortured one.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Seems to me that Roxy was mostly joking. I've made that mistake before: trying to cheer up a friend with a long-time shared silliness, only to put them off more because it strikes them in a moment of weakness.

Technique posted:

Fefeta will only talk when she can make a catfish pun, which is not often. Her existence is a tragic and tortured one.

Fefetasprite is going to be the Silent Bob of the story: usually just hangs around, everyone knows what they think by facial expression, rarely, though, will bust out a gem of knowledge just when the protagonist needs it. Only, you know, with catfish or shipping puns.

edit: What have I done?

Bobulus fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 4, 2012

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I image she'll be more the Morn of the story. She's really talkative and interesting off camera but she remains utterly silent the entire time the audience ever sees her.

Bell_
Sep 3, 2006

Tiny Baltimore
A billion light years away
A goon's posting the same thing
But he's already turned to dust
And the shitpost we read
Is a billion light-years old
A ghost just like the rest of us
Man, I hope not you guys. Especially if she runs into Jaspersprite or Rose

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I find it interesting that Roxy stopped drinking and admitted she had a problem.

Drinking was her primary trait (ask anyone to describe Roxy and you'd get "drinks all the time and slurs her typing") but Hussie allowed her to make personal progress and attempt to move past it. Hopefully this will allow her other attributes to show through, she's probably the most interesting of the new kids to me.

Then again the Birthday banner is typo'd and corrected as if Roxy had been drunk while making it.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

Everybody's going to hate everybody by the time anyone gets there. Also, isn't Jane's birthday the date John and Jade are supposed to emerge from between the windows and finish the yellow yard?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Yonic Symbolism posted:

I find it interesting that Roxy stopped drinking and admitted she had a problem.

Drinking was her primary trait (ask anyone to describe Roxy and you'd get "drinks all the time and slurs her typing") but Hussie allowed her to make personal progress and attempt to move past it. Hopefully this will allow her other attributes to show through, she's probably the most interesting of the new kids to me.

Then again the Birthday banner is typo'd and corrected as if Roxy had been drunk while making it.

I think the slured typing is her typing quirk, it has nothing to do with her drinking. I mean, if she talks about relationships in terms of quadrants why can't she have picked up typing quirks too?

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
Maybe she's just a very fast typer. Or very bad at spelling.

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?

Yonic Symbolism posted:

She also still speaks in chatspeak, just without the typos. ... Maybe she's got like, a speech impediment or something.

Freudian
Mar 23, 2011

I figured she was some kind of dyslexic.

MIDWIFE CRISIS
Nov 5, 2008

Ta gueule, laisse-moi finir.
There are a shitload of windows laying about, I wonder if you have to know exactly which two line up in order to get where you want.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=007419

e. I never noticed the balloons before, that's precious :3:

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

QVC Drinking Game posted:

I don't see people drawing huge Greek Mythology parallels, and that's how almost all of the denizens are themed.

Echidna and Hephaestus were already plot relevant, and I haven't heard anyone comparing Wayward Vagabond to Odysseus or something like that.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Didn't Roxy admit to making typos on purpose at some point, or some character theorise she did, or am I imagining things?

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

YF-23 posted:

Didn't Roxy admit to making typos on purpose at some point, or some character theorise she did, or am I imagining things?

She at least referenced and joked about it at one point. Don't remember the specifics.

Shwqa
Feb 13, 2012

Admiral Goodenough posted:

There are a shitload of windows laying about, I wonder if you have to know exactly which two line up in order to get where you want.
http://www.mspaintadventures.com/?s=6&p=007419

e. I never noticed the balloons before, that's precious :3:

My guess is that each portal leads to a specific place and they each lead to one of the kid's houses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

witchcore ricepunk
Jul 6, 2003

The Golden Witch
Who Solved the Epitaph

A Probability of 1/2,578,917
Sorry if this has been posted before (I haven't seen it, at least), but someone wrote an interesting theory about the possibility of Jake being brain damaged. A lot of things do fit: Dirk's concern, Jake's inability to gauge time, even the xenon thing. I'd buy that for a dollar!