Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
waffle
May 12, 2001
HEH

The Entire Universe posted:

Probably more than a few. I don't doubt the Obama campaign had some of these kinds of victory-is-certain types and the reason we're not hearing about them is that Obama won.

And then I consider the vast array of data available to the Obama campaign and the volunteer infrastructure they possessed, and think there probably weren't that many who believed they were going to win as an article of faith alone, since the campaign seemed to have a very clear view of how things were going. There may have been all manner of people certain of victory but it's probably due to the fact that they saw it coming, and had numbers to show. The Romney campaign seemed to just rely on this massive underlying dislike of the President that did not actually exist, which would explain why so many conservatives waved 2010 around like it was a prelude. It served the narrative and was a data point, which was apparently enough for the Romney campaign.
The power of denial is great--I'm sure the Obama folks were relying on actual data in their confidence, but to be fair, I'm sure if Obama had actually been losing, many of them would have been relying on a massive underlying dislike that didn't actually exist (thankfully for them and us, it did)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
The Republican campaign polling was doing the unskewing nonsense which gave them the impression that they were going to do well.

Arbitrary Coin
Feb 17, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
2nd Battalion
I forget what article it was, but I remember one of them mentioned how Romney's campaign was confident he was going to win since he did the best amongst the most "motivated" people surveyed (they had people rate on a scale of 1-10, looked at 7-10 I think and pretty much ignored everyone else)and due to "momentum"

First off, does momentum really exist? The idea of a political campaign acting as a physical object seems kinda strange to me. I mean there can be hype and excitement, but just because it looks like you're slowly getting ahead doesn't mean it'll really continue right? I think considering the media there might be the opposite of momentum as people get bored with yesterday's news.

Also ahaha, that horrible, horrible surveying technique. Holy poo poo wow. I learned not to pull that sort of crap back in high school

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Arbitrary Coin posted:

First off, does momentum really exist? The idea of a political campaign acting as a physical object seems kinda strange to me. I mean there can be hype and excitement, but just because it looks like you're slowly getting ahead doesn't mean it'll really continue right?

Sure momentum exists for a political campaign, just like any group concept. Example: If you're trying to persuade your friends to go out to drinks at a bar, you do it by convincing a few of them and then telling the others that the group is going. Momentum. Now imagine that another one of your friends has already invited everyone out to drinks at a different bar - the momentum has shifted.

A political campaign can act in much the same way. You particularly see this in the primaries. Indeed it is one of the basis of the main complaint about our primary system: A handful of kingmaker states like Iowa always have their primary first, and therefore have an undue impact on the election by guiding the media narrative year after year.

quote:

Also ahaha, that horrible, horrible surveying technique. Holy poo poo wow. I learned not to pull that sort of crap back in high school

Really it just comes down to thinking that you're smarter than everyone else - a vice that is all too common. The conservatives thought that the reason they were low in the polls was because the pollsters were idiots who were making mistakes in a misguided attempt at "fairness". They were wrong.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

waffle posted:

The power of denial is great--I'm sure the Obama folks were relying on actual data in their confidence, but to be fair, I'm sure if Obama had actually been losing, many of them would have been relying on a massive underlying dislike that didn't actually exist (thankfully for them and us, it did)

I think the campaign's adherence to data and results would have won the campaign regardless - were something to shift, the niagara-scale feed of data would have allowed them to either get out in front of it or mitigate it directly. It's pretty powerful to be the Google of presidential campaigns when it comes to data usage, you can tack very closely in your message to the tone of public sentiment while the other guys just try to wing it on hunches and unskewing.

I would say you'd be right about, say, the Kerry campaign or the base at that time, but Obama's campaign is two for two on making the opponent's campaign look like a campaign for junior high homecoming queen. The fact that the GOP is 2 for 2 on bricking the VP pick only compounds that gap by opening another front.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Entire Universe posted:

I would say you'd be right about, say, the Kerry campaign or the base at that time, but Obama's campaign is two for two on making the opponent's campaign look like a campaign for junior high homecoming queen.
3 for 3 - don't forget the Hilary Clinton clown show orchestrated by Mark Penn which didn't know how individual primary states allocated their votes when they made their strategy.

I'm not a big fan of large chunks of his policy and negotiating skills (although the 2012 model is a huge improvement on the 2011 version), but this Obama guy really knows to run an election campaign.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

Kaal posted:

Sure momentum exists for a political campaign, just like any group concept. Example: If you're trying to persuade your friends to go out to drinks at a bar, you do it by convincing a few of them and then telling the others that the group is going. Momentum. Now imagine that another one of your friends has already invited everyone out to drinks at a different bar - the momentum has shifted.

Momentum is a terrible analogy to use in politics, when they mean snow-balling.

There are physical limits. For one, you can't get more than 100% of the vote. If political momentum was real, and you kept the momentum, you would what? Plow through reality and get non-existent people appearing to vote for you as your campaign metaphorically jumps the rails, flips over on its side and skids for several blocks past election day leaving the entire electorate as a chunky red smear?

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
Snowballing seems like a strong term for the kind of mild motion that even the wildest campaign can bestow. We're talking about millions of people voting here, and where the winning campaign only has support of maybe 25% of the vote-eligible population. I think that the possibility of a campaign jumping the rails is rare enough that the laws of reality are safe.

Quasimango
Mar 10, 2011

God damn you.

jeffersonlives posted:

Mike Bloomberg is trying to draft Hillary Clinton into running...for mayor of New York City.

I suspect Hillary would have had to stifle laughter at the suggestion. I can't think of any possible reason she would want to be mayor of NYC, and many good reasons why she woudn't want to be.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FMguru posted:

3 for 3 - don't forget the Hilary Clinton clown show orchestrated by Mark Penn which didn't know how individual primary states allocated their votes when they made their strategy.

I'm not a big fan of large chunks of his policy and negotiating skills (although the 2012 model is a huge improvement on the 2011 version), but this Obama guy really knows to run an election campaign.

Ah, I'd missed that :v:

I honestly think Obama's wish is that constituents place pressure against his opponents for him, and he just talks nicely and gets people mad at the GOP because they are against all the good poo poo he likes to talk about with that soaring rhetoric of his. It's a bit like the Gracchi, where when he faces a bunch of dongwrangling obstructionists in the Senate, he just goes and takes his proposals directly to the citizenry. Except that's where the similarity ends since doing that actually had power in Rome, and both the Gracchi brothers were closer to Huey Long than Obama, what with their land reforms and antagonism towards the aristocracy. Obama just seems to be waffling on everything and hoping everyone's bright enough and wary enough to crapflood their congressperson's office.

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Krinkle posted:

Momentum is a terrible analogy to use in politics, when they mean snow-balling.

There are physical limits. For one, you can't get more than 100% of the vote. If political momentum was real, and you kept the momentum, you would what? Plow through reality and get non-existent people appearing to vote for you as your campaign metaphorically jumps the rails, flips over on its side and skids for several blocks past election day leaving the entire electorate as a chunky red smear?

This is like saying if physical momentum is real, you would break light speed and time travel.

uncle wrinkles
May 27, 2006

WOW I AM A SHITTY POST COOL HUH

Kaal posted:

I think Newton would be puzzled as to why this is called "momentum".

Actual momentum in a political sense would be more akin to "if m has lead in the past v polls, it would take an event of p magnitude to upset this lead", which is basically more idiotic pundit nonsense. Obama had lead in plenty of polls prior to the first debate, which wasn't a huge disaster or anything - just a somewhat uninspired, uninspiring performance. Certainly not an earth-shattering event - yet his polling lead quickly evaporated.

Your example - which is more about "gaining" momentum - is a bad analogy, since in that situation, your friends are basically "swing voters", and actual swing voters are a tiny, tiny minority of the electorate.

Nate Silver has a good piece of the fallacy of momentum in the "snowballing" sense.

The MUMPSorceress
Jan 6, 2012

^SHTPSTS

Gary’s Answer
Do you think that Obama has created the blueprint for all future Democratic presidential campaigns? He's assembled a group of people with an insane level of technical knowledge and organizational ability. If they keep the band together, it might drive more and more youth turnout as the decade moves forward.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

LeftistMuslimObama posted:

Do you think that Obama has created the blueprint for all future Democratic presidential campaigns? He's assembled a group of people with an insane level of technical knowledge and organizational ability. If they keep the band together, it might drive more and more youth turnout as the decade moves forward.

Part of the problem is that these mostly aren't old-time DNC people who were just ignored. Most of the major players are connected to and loyal to Obama. There's a big question of if they'd campaign for anyone else or work in any meaningful way besides some minor consulting. See: 2010, where despite some post-2008 talk of working during the midterms, OFA sent out a couple of e-mails and called it a day.

Axelrod even went as far to say that this would be the last campaign he'll work on. I think he's expressed interest in joining the not-for-profit his wife runs.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

It's not like he had a group of people with "insane" technical skills - it's just that he actually had a competent technical crew and actually understood that the advantages lie in that direction. What the campaign did isn't some groundbreaking technical achievement in general but it was/is new to politics.

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005

I'd argue that it wouldn't apply to just Democrats. ANY politician worth their salt should be looking at the Obama model if they want to win a Presidential election.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Kaal posted:

A political campaign can act in much the same way. You particularly see this in the primaries. Indeed it is one of the basis of the main complaint about our primary system: A handful of kingmaker states like Iowa always have their primary first, and therefore have an undue impact on the election by guiding the media narrative year after year.

In American politics you only see it in primaries, and that's because it only works if you have three or more options (excluding the rare credible third-party/independent candidate). A candidate gaining momentum in a primary is essentially that candidate gaining credibility as an option by virtue of other people selecting them: I'd prefer Herman Cain, but won't say I'm going to vote for him because he's so clearly going to lose, but once he seems credible I jump to him as my preferred plausible candidate.

This doesn't work when you're selecting between two options. Mitt Romney was never non-credible against Barack Obama. There was no point where Romney having rising poll numbers would convince someone to abandon another candidate because Romney was suddenly seeming like a plausible option. The Romney campaign was fooling itself into thinking a non-existent phenomenon would save it.

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

ehhh nevermind

Kaal
May 22, 2002

Sir Kodiak posted:

This doesn't work when you're selecting between two options. Mitt Romney was never non-credible against Barack Obama. There was no point where Romney having rising poll numbers would convince someone to abandon another candidate because Romney was suddenly seeming like a plausible option. The Romney campaign was fooling itself into thinking a non-existent phenomenon would save it.

Sure it works. When Mitt Romney was heading into the debates, his campaign was struggling and it was pollsters were starting to strongly turn against him. Because there was serious doubt as to his ability to win, he was bleeding volunteers and financial donators, who didn't want to back a dark horse. But after a strong showing in the first debate, the GOP had regained its momentum and could go back to the well for more support.

Just because the GOP believed something, and lost, doesn't make their every campaign idea wrong. If it makes it easier, think of the thing as a cart race. You build up momentum on your cart to keep it going over the humps, when the other cart might stop and folks might just quit.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
In this week's episode of As The New York State Senate Turns, former Democratic majority leader Malcolm Smith, who was deposed by the predecessor to the Independent Democratic Caucus for being too liberal, has joined the Independent Democratic Caucus. It looks like the IDC is going to keep Skelos as majority leader in exchange for functional control over the body.

So Cuomo's going to get his "Republican" Senate and continue his bipartisanship type things.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Alter Ego posted:

I'd argue that it wouldn't apply to just Democrats. ANY politician worth their salt should be looking at the Obama model if they want to win a Presidential election.

One qualification I'd have with this, while agreeing that any candidate that completely ignores the Obama model is acting foolishly, is that we don't know yet if the Obama model needs an Obama in it to work. In other words, I don't think it's yet clear whether a candidate who doesn't have the same/similar personal charisma and campaigning skills of the Big O himself would be able to use the same model as successfully, or indeed at all. This is parallel to what Joementum said about not yet knowing whether the Obama coalition will persist, or is too Obama-centric to continue to function in 2014/16.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Sir Kodiak posted:

In American politics you only see it in primaries, and that's because it only works if you have three or more options (excluding the rare credible third-party/independent candidate). A candidate gaining momentum in a primary is essentially that candidate gaining credibility as an option by virtue of other people selecting them: I'd prefer Herman Cain, but won't say I'm going to vote for him because he's so clearly going to lose, but once he seems credible I jump to him as my preferred plausible candidate.

This exact phenomenon happened in the 2008 Democratic Primaries to Obama. Before Iowa, Obama had only a sliver of the African American vote in polling. After Iowa showed that he could win and be a viable candidate, he then had a majority of African American voters as well as a much bigger chunk of the other voters than he'd had, because of voters that tended to prefer him but did not see him as viable. Iowa, then South Carolina, established him as viable.

It's not exactly analogous to a general election though, because in our current polarized electorate it's unlikely that many people identified as Democrats would switch to Romney whether he was seen as viable or not. It's more an issue of enthusiasm and increased intention to vote and turnout among the same group of voters as a result of events like debates, rather than anyone jumping camps.

ACatch22
Sep 23, 2012

"Major Major never sees anyone in his office while he's in his office."
Could someone that's better informed than me on Michael Bloomberg tell me why he isn't running for NYC mayor again? I was trying to find the reasoning with a quick google, but couldn't quickly. Is it a term limit thing? An age thing? Or is it possibly a presidential candidate thing?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ACatch22 posted:

Could someone that's better informed than me on Michael Bloomberg tell me why he isn't running for NYC mayor again? I was trying to find the reasoning with a quick google, but couldn't quickly. Is it a term limit thing? An age thing? Or is it possibly a presidential candidate thing?

Current term limit for NYC mayor is 3 terms of 4 years each. That means he'll be out January 1, 2014

ACatch22
Sep 23, 2012

"Major Major never sees anyone in his office while he's in his office."
Is there any chance at a presidential run? I know he's an independent at 70 (making him 74 in 2016), but has there been any indication of whether or not he is interested?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

ACatch22 posted:

Is there any chance at a presidential run? I know he's an independent at 70 (making him 74 in 2016), but has there been any indication of whether or not he is interested?

He openly flirted with the race in 2008 and a little in 2012, but never too seriously.

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

ACatch22 posted:

He's probably more interested in Governor I'd think.

monoceros4
Sep 1, 2006

As good at chess as Alekhine's cat

jeffersonlives posted:

He openly flirted with the race in 2008 and a little in 2012, but never too seriously.

Isn't it some law of the Universe that a mayor of New York will never make a good presidential candidate? The Lindsay-Giuliani Law or something like that.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

monoceros4 posted:

Isn't it some law of the Universe that a mayor of New York will never make a good presidential candidate? The Lindsay-Giuliani Law or something like that.
Basically, though the fact that a lot of them get considered in the first place would have to be corollary.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

pangstrom posted:

Basically, though the fact that a lot of them get considered in the first place would have to be corollary.

Why? Is the machine behind NYC mayoral kingmaking corrupt enough that anybody who wins wouldn't survive a presidential run because of the resulting skeletons?

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Lightning Knight posted:

Why? Is the machine behind NYC mayoral kingmaking corrupt enough that anybody who wins wouldn't survive a presidential run because of the resulting skeletons?
Election "laws" are mostly about few observations, especially the ones about "X type of person can't be president..." because there are a lot of types of people and very few presidents. So I don't really believe it, but if I need to give a reason it's that NYC isn't like the rest of the country and it will elect non-"folksy" people who seem like cold assholes because they are.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Lightning Knight posted:

Because "Mayor of an important city" isn't one of the four places you can launch a successful Presidential campaign from. Governor, Senator, VP, General of a winning war - that's it.

SombreroAgnew
Sep 22, 2004

unlimited rice pudding
Anybody remember "Obama can't get the nomination/win, no sitting senator has won since Kennedy"? And then both candidates were Senators? And then we elected a black president?

OwlBot 2000
Jun 1, 2009
I'm not sure 44 is a big enough sample size to make any real predictions on who can and can't become President (except that the barrier for a black president is much lower than the barrier for a poor president).

Bastaman Vibration
Jun 26, 2005

FMguru posted:

Because "Mayor of an important city" isn't one of the four places you can launch a successful Presidential campaign from. Governor, Senator, VP, General of a winning war - that's it.

I don't doubt for a second that mayors of NYC, LA, and Chicago could take a credible swing at a presidential run. It would take a magic combination of levels of charisma that haven't been seen since Obama's 2004 DNC speech, and a bit of luck with the right urban issues at the right time (and implementing the right solutions), but I would place them on "importance" or visibility level as a rank and file House member. With executive experience, to boot. Also, I'd assume a House member given enough years seniority and the right profile and committee assignments/chairmanships could make a run, too. Dick Gephardt was the frontrunner for much of the 2004 nomination, and remember the "Draft Paul Ryan" sentiments before he became the VP nom?

Also, it's going be hard to find any 21st century war that can be "won" for a General to run on. :hurr:

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Most Governor's offices can easily operate without the actual Governor being present, same with most other state-wide state level elected offices (ATtorney General, Secretary of State, etc...). Congresscritters can easily multi-task because their constituent service offices in their districts still operate, and they'll come back for votes where they're absolutely necessary.

A mayor of a huge rear end city like NYC...there's only one Mayor and poo poo tends to get hosed up when you pawn it off to a Deputy Mayor such as Goldsmith and the snow storm a few years back.

Could Bloomberg make it? Sure. But he'd need some perfect timing like Perot got to actually have a realistic shot.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

dinoputz posted:

I don't doubt for a second that mayors of NYC, LA, and Chicago could take a credible swing at a presidential run. It would take a magic combination of levels of charisma that haven't been seen since Obama's 2004 DNC speech, and a bit of luck with the right urban issues at the right time (and implementing the right solutions), but I would place them on "importance" or visibility level as a rank and file House member. With executive experience, to boot.
And yet, not a single mayor has been a major party candidate in 200 years (without passing through the gateway of Senator/Governor/VP). The historical record is quite clear. Bloomberg, Emmanuel, Villaragosa - all will have to run for statewide office to set up a shot at the White House (or serve as VP). Giuliani had the highest profile imaginable for a US mayor in 08, and his campaign was a fiasco.

quote:

Also, I'd assume a House member given enough years seniority and the right profile and committee assignments/chairmanships could make a run, too. Dick Gephardt was the frontrunner for much of the 2004 nomination, and remember the "Draft Paul Ryan" sentiments before he became the VP nom?
Lots of noise, no actual candidates since Bryan in 1900. The House just isn't a credible place to mount a Presidential campaign from, you need to go home and win a Senate seat or Governorship.

quote:

Also, it's going be hard to find any 21st century war that can be "won" for a General to run on. :hurr:
Wesley Clark (Kosovo) wasn't laughed out of the 04 and 08 Democratic race, and Powell (Iraq I) could have taken the Republican nomination in 96 if he'd wanted it. Petreus would have been a strong contender if his surges in Iraq II and Afghanistan had gone better, and his appointment to the CIA was read by some as Obama trying to take him off the chessboard in 2012.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

FMguru posted:

And yet, not a single mayor has been a major party candidate in 200 years (without passing through the gateway of Senator/Governor/VP). The historical record is quite clear. Bloomberg, Emmanuel, Villaragosa - all will have to run for statewide office to set up a shot at the White House (or serve as VP). Giuliani had the highest profile imaginable for a US mayor in 08, and his campaign was a fiasco.

Eh, the modern primary system has only existed for 40 years, and in those 40 years you've had two New York City mayors, one from each party, take a plausible run at the nomination, as well as a bunch of assorted House members. The reasons Giuliani lost had little to do with his lack of political standing, he just didn't run a great campaign and had a very poor set of results come for his candidacy in the early contests he was not seriously contesting.

I do think there is a high bar of entry for those who have never been elected statewide, but I don't see how "Giuliani was only the frontrunner for awhile and didn't actually win the nomination" makes it an absolute bar per se.

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

To quote Honest Joe Biden: "Rudy Giuliani's campaign is a noun, a verb, and 9/11."

Look at Corey Booker, he's got serious potential to ascend to a higher office, and the Democratic party is certainly grooming him for the ability to do so. I hope he stays true to himself and remains in Newark for a while yet, however.

Nelson Mandingo fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Dec 5, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

more friedman units
Jul 7, 2010

The next six months will be critical.
Secretary of Defense Cory Booker will personally lay down suppressing fire at Firebase Charlie in Afghanistan.

• Locked thread