Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

TaurusTorus posted:

No clue, just baking a chicken breast, took it out to check if it was done, and it shattered in my hand.

I wonder if they make them to break like they seem todo with fridges nowadays (guess what broke this weekend). My mom has had the same glassware oven container since the 70s.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

granpa yum
Jul 15, 2004

Bob_McBob posted:

My only real gripe with the Oxo scale is the god drat auto shut off feature. It shuts off after a fixed length of time, even if the scale is actively being used and registering weight changes. $5 Chinese scales get this right, but Oxo can't with thei $50 scale? It remembers the weight it's reading if you don't add anything before turning it back on, but if it shuts off while you are adding ingredients it resets back to zero. I've got into a routine of regularly turning it off and on because I suspect it will shut off while I am measuring an ingredient.

Aside from that, the display update is a bit slow, but it isn't a big deal for cooking. I love that the display has no exposed electronics to be messed up by spills, that it comes out from the body, and that you can remove the weighing tray for cleaning. As for battery life, the original batteries in mine lasted for almost four years of regular use. Pretty good.

I got the OXO scale as a gift and this is my only complaint. I usually just randomly change it from imperial to metric as I use it to make sure it doesn't turn off but I've gotten hosed a few times while weighing out a few different ingredients in the same bowl. It's supposed to reset the auto off timer when you tare but I don't know if it always does.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Steve Yun posted:

I've had a hot glass plate crack from being put on a cold countertop.

Yeah that's what I was going for. Hell, the counter doesn't even have to be super cold, just cool to the touch.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

a handful of dust posted:

The gently caress? :staredog:

What was their rationale for that? Price?

they also pointed an infrared thermometer at blade and said "welp doesn't get hot"

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe
What is a good model of sifter? We had a nice Crate & Barrel one but some cog broke off and my wife threw it away. She puts up with a lot of poo poo so it must have failed massively.

GrAviTy84 posted:

they also pointed an infrared thermometer at blade and said "welp doesn't get hot"
I too don't understand emissivity.
E: just realized that's usually used to make fun of quoted poster but really I'm laughing at Christopher Kimble here.

Hed fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 4, 2012

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Well I guess it's a good thing I didn't tell him to listen to CI's review of coffee grinders then.

CI's review of saute pans was sound, there was no problem in referring to it in helping a guy pick out a saute pan. Let's spend less time on holy wars and more time helping people out here.

Hed posted:

What is a good model of sifter? We had a nice Crate & Barrel one but some cog broke off and my wife threw it away. She puts up with a lot of poo poo so it must have failed massively.
I had a Nordic one which had the smoothest trigger mechanism of the half dozen I tried out in stores, but lately I've just been using a mesh strainer because cleaning out the sifter was such a pain.

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Dec 4, 2012

Dane
Jun 18, 2003

mmm... creamy.

Glockamole posted:

If I were looking for a recommendation for stemware, have I come to the right place? If I have, I was looking for a suggestion for red wine glasses for my girlfriend. Her only criterion aside from being true stemware is having a large capacity.

I enjoy my Spiegelau Authentis a lot. I can't see that series on the US website, but the Hybrid Burgyndy and the Vino Grande Burgundy are both quality and large (23-25 oz).

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Glockamole posted:

If I were looking for a recommendation for stemware, have I come to the right place? If I have, I was looking for a suggestion for red wine glasses for my girlfriend. Her only criterion aside from being true stemware is having a large capacity.

I'm a big fan of Riedel glasses, who make Spiegelau I think.

http://www.riedelusa.net/index.php/red-wine-glass-1.html

Something like that?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I want to replace my flour and sugar canisters. I like glass and stainless steel or brushed aluminum/steel. My main gripes with my current canisters are that the flour canister cannot actually fit an entire bag of flour in it. Also, the mouth of the jar is a lot smaller than the jar itself, making it awkward to try to scoop out the flour. I really like the style of jars/canisters that they at least used to have a doctor's offices: A glass container with a steel top that is flush on the sides with the container. Any suggestions?

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I want to replace my flour and sugar canisters. I like glass and stainless steel or brushed aluminum/steel. My main gripes with my current canisters are that the flour canister cannot actually fit an entire bag of flour in it. Also, the mouth of the jar is a lot smaller than the jar itself, making it awkward to try to scoop out the flour. I really like the style of jars/canisters that they at least used to have a doctor's offices: A glass container with a steel top that is flush on the sides with the container. Any suggestions?

The medical sundry jars aren't going to be big enough to hold an entire bag of flour, at least from what I've seen.

They sell these montana glass jars at Target that might work well.

Walmart sells the same style jar but with glass lids. That's what I use for flour.

herbaceous backson
Mar 10, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

GigaFool posted:

The medical sundry jars aren't going to be big enough to hold an entire bag of flour, at least from what I've seen.

Walmart sells the same style jar but with glass lids. That's what I use for flour.

Target also has mason jars in gallon sizes:

I've used them for flour before.

herbaceous backson fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Dec 4, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

GigaFool posted:

Actually, those are the exact ones I want to get rid of. It may just the that the flour jar is the wrong size, but I still don't like how narrow the mouth is.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
How about narrower dry measuring cups to fit into your jars?

http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Grips-6-piece-Measuring-Black/dp/B00004OCO6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354645509&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+dry+cup

The 1 cup measurement fits into my plastic lid gallon jars but not into my narrow-mouth glass clip jars.

I mostly use something like these:
http://www.freshwatersystems.com/p-...CFQ_hQgodvkoAJA

If you don't mind spending more and buying two, these are airtight and stackable:

Oggi 1 gallon clip jar:
http://www.amazon.com/Oggi-Jumbo-St...ywords=jar+oggi

Oxo gallon:
http://www.amazon.com/OXO-Square-4-Quart-Storage-Container/dp/B000UHYB9E/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354646652&sr=8-1&keywords=oxo+gallon

The big cambro options (not super airtight, but maybe enough for flour):

http://www.amazon.com/CamSquare-8-Q...rage+containers

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 4, 2012

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Thanks. That Oxo gallon may work, though it is a bit ugly. Form over function I guess.

BusinessWallet
Sep 13, 2005
Today has been the most perfect day I have ever seen
If you live near an Ikea, they have tons of stuff like that for very cheap, and the flush lid jars you were talking about.

Cavenagh
Oct 9, 2007

Grrrrrrrrr.

Devoyniche posted:

How sensitive is the scale? Some reviews were saying it would give a different reading if you placed what you were weighing on different areas, or something. Also, how long is the battery life? The other thing I really liked about it was that it looked like it's super easy to store, and I don't have too much room in the kitchen, although I could probably move some things around to clear up a spot for a larger scale to stay.

I've only had it about four months or so. It has had heavy use and the batteries seem fine for that. I've not experienced differing readings from different areas of the scale, but I place my stuff centrally. It is easy to store and to read. So far I've got no complaints.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Thanks. That Oxo gallon may work, though it is a bit ugly. Form over function I guess.
If you're willing to go ugly but functional, you can get a pack of three 4 quart Cambro containers for about what that Oxo costs. I keep dry goods in a cabinet so I don't give a poo poo what they look like, and Cambros stack securely and can go through the dishwasher if you want. I've got a couple Oxo containers with the push-button lids, and they're okay but tend to accumulate crud around the seals and are fussier to clean.

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

Actually, those are the exact ones I want to get rid of. It may just the that the flour jar is the wrong size, but I still don't like how narrow the mouth is.
They taste filthy, but those export soda cracker boxes from Keebler seem to hold exactly a 5-lb bag of flour. Bonus points, because I can easily dump the whole thing in there without fiddling.

swalk
Nov 20, 2004
bucka blaow
Any recommendations on a general purpose serrated knife? Basically, the serrated version of the Victorinox Chef's Knife.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Our recommendation would probably be not to get one. Serrations give jagged cuts and can't be resharpened. Also, although it's not intrinsic to the design of serrated knives, because serrated knives are marketed towards the low end consumer it tends to happen that serrated knives are made with cheaper steel and with flimsier construction.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I use a serrated knife for bread and tomatoes. Just get the Forschner if you want one.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
I could be wrong, but I think he was talking about chef knives with tiny serrations, not the big serrations of a bread/tomato knife

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

I don't see the need for serrated at all. Can cut bread and tomatoes just fine with a good edge.

swalk
Nov 20, 2004
bucka blaow
Okay thanks. I was talking about bigger serrations (I think) just because I assumed they were needed for things like bread as mentioned. Although I do see your points.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Any recommendations for stoves, fridges, and maybe freezers? Don't have gas unfortunately.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
Don't listen to gravity about bread - a good serrated knife really does make slicing crusty loaves easier. You don't need one for tomatoes, but I'm quite happy with a good bread knife.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Knife disagreements should henceforth be settled with a knife duel

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer
What business do modernist chefs even have using knives? Either tepid puddle it until its soft enough to pull apart or liquid nitrogen and crack it in half?

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

mediaphage posted:

Don't listen to gravity about bread - a good serrated knife really does make slicing crusty loaves easier. You don't need one for tomatoes, but I'm quite happy with a good bread knife.

I don't know, I have no problems cutting crusty bread. Knife cuts through it like scissors through wrapping paper.

Goddamn posted:

Any recommendations for stoves, fridges, and maybe freezers? Don't have gas unfortunately.

We have a Kenmore. French door fridge, bottom freezer drawer style. Love it.

GrAviTy84 fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Dec 6, 2012

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

GrAviTy84 posted:

I don't know, I have no problems cutting crusty bread. Knife cuts through it like scissors through wrapping paper.

We have a Kenmore. French door fridge, bottom freezer drawer style. Love it.

French door fridge forever.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

mediaphage posted:

French door fridge forever.

We got a giant french door fridge as our garage fridge and it's wonderful, especially when i need to put something on a half sheet pan in.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

We got a giant french door fridge as our garage fridge and it's wonderful, especially when i need to put something on a half sheet pan in.

Yeah they're absolutely my favorite kind of fridge these days.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
my girlfriend/FutureWife always complains about french door fridges because she hates the freezer on the bottom. I don't really mind, but I see her point.

was a little dismayed until I discovered full-length french door fridges exist.

and also that full-length french door freezers exist.

I know where like $4k of our income is going one year, awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeahhhh. :smug:

Gilgameshback
May 18, 2010

swalk posted:

Okay thanks. I was talking about bigger serrations (I think) just because I assumed they were needed for things like bread as mentioned. Although I do see your points.

If you still want a serrated knife this one is pretty great:
http://www.chefknivestogo.com/toitkbrkn.html

I don't see it being too useful for anything other than cutting bread/watermelon/huge things though.

Supposedly you CAN sharpen it. It has crescents rather than tooth-like serrations, so you can run them over the corner of a waterstone or abrasive rod.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mindphlux posted:

my girlfriend/FutureWife always complains about french door fridges because she hates the freezer on the bottom. I don't really mind, but I see her point.

was a little dismayed until I discovered full-length french door fridges exist.

and also that full-length french door freezers exist.

I know where like $4k of our income is going one year, awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww yeahhhh. :smug:

Yeah, but what's her point? The freezer on the bottom is a superior design - it uses less energy to keep the bottom of the unit cold, plus the part that you access the most, the fridge, is at a more user-friendly level; you never have to stoop to pull something out of the bottom drawer.

It is a superior design, future mrs. mindphlux is broken.

Also if you're really going to buy two units, you might as well buy a fridge and a chest freezer. Powering both is going to be an energy sink, and a french door freezer is going to warm up a lot every time you open the doors.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

mediaphage posted:

Yeah, but what's her point? The freezer on the bottom is a superior design - it uses less energy to keep the bottom of the unit cold, plus the part that you access the most, the fridge, is at a more user-friendly level; you never have to stoop to pull something out of the bottom drawer.

It is a superior design, future mrs. mindphlux is broken.

Also if you're really going to buy two units, you might as well buy a fridge and a chest freezer. Powering both is going to be an energy sink, and a french door freezer is going to warm up a lot every time you open the doors.

I think her point is it's just annoying to have to dig through the freezer trying to find stuff - you're more likely to use things/not forget about things if you can see them, and it's easier to see more stuff on a vertical plane?

anyways, I'd like to think the freezer and fridge sections are prettty well insulated from eachother on both frenchdoor combo units, and side by side units. I could be wrong, but...

edit : was curious, so just did some quick research -

here's some random 29cuft french door unit - energy star estimates $60/yr operating cost - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung...1&skuId=2146814
here's a 29cuft side by side @ $66/yr - http://www.bestbuy.com/site/GE+-+Pr...6&skuId=1510864

don't buy the energy saving argument. anyways, I already have a fridge, chest freezer/kegerator, fermentation minifridge, wine fridge, 6 computers and ungodly other electronic devices running in this place - I think I can live with paying for another $60/yr = $5/mo on my electric bill in return for double the fridge/freezer space in a loving awesome FutureKitchen.

eh?

mindphlux fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 7, 2012

dino.
Mar 28, 2010

Yip Yip, bitch.

swalk posted:

Any recommendations on a general purpose serrated knife? Basically, the serrated version of the Victorinox Chef's Knife.

http://www.amazon.com/Pure-Komachi-Series-Bread-Knife/dp/B0029XBUKK

mich
Feb 28, 2003
I may be racist but I'm the good kind of racist! You better put down those chopsticks, you HITLER!
Stuff gets forgotten about in the back of a regular freezer too. I think you could stack things differently in a bottom shelf freezer so that you wouldn't have much more hidden on the bottom than you would at the back of a freezer.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Steve Yun posted:

Our recommendation would probably be not to get one. Serrations give jagged cuts and can't be resharpened. Also, although it's not intrinsic to the design of serrated knives, because serrated knives are marketed towards the low end consumer it tends to happen that serrated knives are made with cheaper steel and with flimsier construction.

Screw this noise, get yourself a cheap rear end Henckel serrated, less than $20bux.

Now, can my Tojihiro DP suji, and my CCK cleaver slice bread just as well? Why yes, yes they can. Should you buy one of those knives? gently caress no, buy the cheap serrated and cut bread with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Yeah I wrote that thinking he was talking about cheapo chef knives with micro serrations. Bread knives are a-ok.

• Locked thread