Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

I just finished it it. For the most part I was suprisingly impressed with the story, for the most part the characters were actually pretty interesting. Vaas is obviously the standout, but I thought Buck the oddly amiable sadistic rapist and Sam, who almost seems aware that he is in a videogame, were well done too.

However, I was pretty disappointed with the end, specifically with Citra suddenly going crazy for Jason. Until then, the main theme has been about Jason becoming fascinated with violence and eventually pusuing it of his own accord. Yet when Citra forces the confrontation at the end, suddenly the onus is placed on her as the one who wants to pressure/seduce Jason towards that path. Part of the allure for Jason was that the island gave him an excuse to be as violent as he wanted while still believing himself to have a good, just cause and essentially still being a "good guy". Outright murdering his friends with his own hands just to please Citra is much to direct and indisputably morally wrong to be a believable end for him.
Also, it's weird that Citra suddenly falls utterly in love with this white boy who only ever adopted her culture and beliefs superficially as a means to an end. I guess this could be seen as some sort of meta-commentary how in videogames every character is always completely fixated on the protagonist, but it kind of undermines the rest of Jason's arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Icept
Jul 11, 2001
The game as a whole is very good, but by far the weakest point is the constant ways that Jason gets ambushed and hoodwinked by every character in the loving game. Vaas must have gotten him like 5 times alone, then the CIA spy, then Buck, then Sam, and then Hoyt and even Citra with some magic powder. I accept that they are working within limits of narrative, but at some point they should've given the player the opportunity to kill one or all of them as part of regular gameplay and not some weird trip sequence or quick time event. The pay off would have been much sweeter.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Icept posted:

The game as a whole is very good, but by far the weakest point is the constant ways that Jason gets ambushed and hoodwinked by every character in the loving game. Vaas must have gotten him like 5 times alone, then the CIA spy, then Buck, then Sam, and then Hoyt and even Citra with some magic powder. I accept that they are working within limits of narrative, but at some point they should've given the player the opportunity to kill one or all of them as part of regular gameplay and not some weird trip sequence or quick time event. The pay off would have been much sweeter.

I think it ends up being another concession to the hardcore military bro leaving the scene instead of being the main character. Jason already suddenly gets amazing shooting talents right off the bat (handle a 50-cal sniper rifle while standing and nail headshots from 200m? NO SWEAT BRAH) so I guess they needed those moments of him bumbling to humanize him or something? That's still a little ridiculous.

Speaking of those moments. Dude still being grossed out by the 200th time he has to skin something, after slaughtering whole populations of animals, making bags out of their still-bloody skins, and wearing them.

On a side note, walking into a bar and hearing a bunch of drunks discuss your machete skills in hushed tones is pretty awesome. Especially if you've just sliced'n'diced a couple dozen dudes :getin:

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

FauxGateau posted:

Besides. Far Cry 3 let's you have all the fun without any of the guilt! They make the game incredibly fun, but they never really confront the elephant in the room. They just let you think about it. They dance around the issue and they never commit to one way or another. You decide what to make of it at the end. Which is perfect, because that way you can let people choose what they want to make of the experience. The ending is just their answer.

My personal issue with the game is that it doesn't actually do that at all. It certainly tries to, but then it attempts to connect me as a player with Jason after distinguishing the difference between us. The problem is that it does dance around the issue, but only for Jason. The game still tries to shove it in your face that you have to kill all these random mooks, even though you have to kill the random mooks every single time if you want to beat the game. Jason the character goes through the motions of losing his humanity, but the game tries to enforce that on you the player as well after making it clear that killing everyone you get the chance to is what it wants you to do.

And that's completely disregarding how instantaneously Jason buys into it. The game's introduction and first formal mission were great and set up Jason's character really well, it establishes him as a "normal everyman" against people like Vaas and his military-trained brother; but the game almost immediately discards that in favor of making him a traditional wisecracking video game protagonist. It just kind of fell flat in my opinion because they tried all sorts of different stuff with Jason's character in the game's opening stages and none of it really panned out.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Dec 4, 2012

am0kgonzo
Jun 18, 2010

DrNutt posted:

To respond to both you and am0kgonzo, I think that the biggest issue with these burgeoning 'Heart of Darkness' narratives that games are attempting now is the fact that combat and killing is front-and-center and for the most part, completely unavoidable. I mean, even the most absurd 80s action flicks have tame body counts compared to your typical video game. I often think that the Uncharted games are the best Indiana Jones movies since The Last Crusade, but only if Indiana Jones were some kind of sociopath who could massacre thousands of dudes across three adventures and still come out of it making wise-cracks.

I don't see much of a difference, other than bigger numbers for gameplay reasons. Indiana Jones kills plenty of people and a lot of his kills are played for laughs, the swordfighter in 1 or the scene on top of the tank in 3. And he never seems too disturbed by any of it.

DrNutt posted:

Similarly, in games like Spec-Ops and to a lesser extent, Far Cry 3, when they try to make you feel like a monster, or at least give you the impression that your character is becoming one, it rings hollow because the necessity of the gameplay is that you enjoy the shooty aspects and keep playing. The game can't actually make you feel too bad about the guys you're killing left and right, because they want to sell copies, not make people feel lovely about murder and put down their controllers.

I think, from a narrative perspective, it actually worked a little better in Spec-Ops, simply because the shooting itself wasn't all that fun. It was a serviceable but totally generic 3PS with all the trappings that go along with. The only thing that made Spec-Ops special was the story. But even then, you're never given the chance to actually do anything moral. No matter how bad the game tries to make you feel about what you're doing ("Do you feel like a hero yet?"), you still have to keep killing people to continue and win the game. There is no "put down your rifle and walk out of Dubai" button.

In FC3 the message is actually a lot less clear, and open to more interpretation, in my opinion. But if there's a message in there that all that killing makes you, the protagonist, a monster, it falls on deaf ears because being a murderous monster is tremendously fun. And like Spec-Ops, any chance at a 'moral' decision is left behind because you're never given that choice. You can't leave with your friends, the game forces you to continue on to the second island and enact your revenge. The only way to 'win,' really, would be not to play.

Maybe at some point we'll get a triple-a title that comes along and blows everyone away, and keeps the body count in the single or double digits, and makes every kill a choice that will weigh on your mind. But until then, enjoy the cognitive dissonance of story vs. gameplay.

I don't think killing the pirates and mercenaries is supposed to be some morally terrible thing. They are all horrible loving people, killers, slavers and rapists.

Unlike SpecOps you are actually given a choice when you are about to do something unquestionably horrible, but I feel like the endings are a bit of a copout. in my opinion the logical conclusion to the games theme would be

Kill your friends if you want to continue with the fun powerfantasy. Or leave the island with your friends and literally end the game, no postending freeroam for you. Grow up, stop playing this violent videogame and all that. Though it would be odd to punish the player for making the "good" choice, so idk.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

Yo man, you are out of step with Imhotep!
I think there's a new patch out, Uplay is downloading an update.

quote:

Here's what the 1.02 patch fixes:

Multiplayer
PVP:
Fixed some issues with user created maps when more than 8 players were playing them.
Improved matchmaking for both Multiplayer and Co-op modes.
Improved team balancing when playing in party.
Fixed issues with Live balancing patch system.
Map Editor:
Fix for the Map Editor crash at launch when the PC user contains language-specific characters.
Single Player
Fixed issue where players fall through the world when not connected to the Ubisoft servers.
Fixed the "View Leaderboard" and "Start Trial" buttons in the World Map.
Improved stability when quitting to desktop.
Fixed issue with leaderboards.

Nothing interesting.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 4, 2012

Noirex
May 30, 2006

Akalies posted:

I'm assuming you're on the doppelganger mission.
The alternate way is actually the regular way, only with stealth. It's probably the weakest story mission I've played so far, since it really shows off how dumb the stealth/AI mechanics are.

This video has a walk through at about 20 minutes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=59fGu08hOS4

Thanks for this, what a lovely level in a game that usually allows a lot more freedom in playing.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So how do you headshot the privateer heavies? Just took the first outpost on the second island and I just ended up shooting them in the head like four times each. The pirate heavies have the backs of their heads exposed so I thought maybe the visor would prove to be a similar weak point but either I've been shooting from too far and missing it or they just need to be stabbed?

Charlie Brown
Oct 4, 2000

Infiltrates Your Skull

Attention Horse posted:

Nothing interesting.

It's pretty big, just for that.

I'm dreading playing today now that it's unlocked for the US.
The servers could barely handle Europe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Megazver posted:

So how do you headshot the privateer heavies? Just took the first outpost on the second island and I just ended up shooting them in the head like four times each. The pirate heavies have the backs of their heads exposed so I thought maybe the visor would prove to be a similar weak point but either I've been shooting from too far and missing it or they just need to be stabbed?

You can definitely oneshot them from behind with the Model 700 sniper rifle.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
One thing that annoys me about fc3 is that you are locked into "missions". This shouldn't happen in an open world game.

I really hate being booted out to a load screen. If you decide that instead of picking mushrooms you want to hop on this sweet hang glider it should just let you.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Jippa posted:

One thing that annoys me about fc3 is that you are locked into "missions". This shouldn't happen in an open world game.

I really hate being booted out to a load screen. If you decide that instead of picking mushrooms you want to hop on this sweet hang glider it should just let you.

Yeah, I kind of felt this way too. Really early on you get a mission that's literally "explore the island, do the next mission when you're ready!" and the stupid "HEY HERE'S WHAT MISSION YOU ARE ON IN CASE YOU FORGOT IN THE PAST FOUR MINUTES" thing tells you exactly that over and over until you do the mission.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Megazver posted:

The game have locational armor so you have to shoot them in the back of the head to bypass the armor.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

etalian posted:

The game have locational armor so you have to shoot them in the back of the head to bypass the armor.

Yes. I know. But from the distance I was looking at them, they just had helmets covering the backs of their heads.

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

I can't destroy plants since the 1.02 patch. What the hell, I loved shooting those huge leaves :smith:.

edit: I restarted the game and now I can shoot the leaves off again. Weird.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 15:53 on Dec 4, 2012

numptyboy
Sep 6, 2004
somewhat pleasant

Megazver posted:

Yes. I know. But from the distance I was looking at them, they just had helmets covering the backs of their heads.

Signature AMR ignores armour. It works regardless of the helmet orientation.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Attention Horse posted:

Nothing interesting.
Goddamn I was hoping it fixes the issue with rebinding controls that don't actually rebind, like glider controls.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

numptyboy posted:

Signature AMR ignores armour. It works regardless of the helmet orientation.

Yeah, but it doesn't have sound suppression. :(

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Started playing this last night. Does the main character ever stop going "poo poo! oh gently caress oh poo poo!" at all?

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Gyshall posted:

Started playing this last night. Does the main character ever stop going "poo poo! oh gently caress oh poo poo!" at all?

Yes.

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Megazver posted:

Yeah, but it doesn't have sound suppression. :(

Son...... the signature AMR's point is that it can punch through a loving building and make the two poor sods behind it fly 18 feet, as well as exploding technicals in one hit. That kind of power should come with a massive loving boom that tells your enemies "I'm right here, fuckers, but you STILL can't touch me!"

Seriously. The sig AMR is amazing and finally broke me out of the silencer streak because it's just so drat satisfying to hear it make that massive boom while some rear end in a top hat flies across the compound. I've also noticed that when you're sniping, the difference between unsuppressed and suppressed is minimal at best.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Gyshall posted:

This annoyed the hell out of me too, but don't worry, he gets over it startlingly quickly.

And I've discovered my new favourite way to take an outpost.

MOLOTOVS AND SHOTGUNS.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
First impression Multiplayer trip-report:
-Seems to use console-rubbish matchmaking which makes it a pain in the arse to get a not-laggy match.
-Seems the follow the standard Level up to unlock weapons/Level up weapons by using them to get attachments stuff. I personally dislike having to get 50+ kills on a gun to get *insert mod here*. YMMV.
-The Mercy/Punishment thing is amusing I guess.
-Skills are unbalanced. The Sixth Sense acts a little too much wall-hacky.
-I like the killcam thing, tracks Killers and the Victims location and shots.

Haven't got to try co-op. No-one local and up at my time to play.

Durzel
Nov 15, 2005

CJacobs posted:

Yeah, I kind of felt this way too. Really early on you get a mission that's literally "explore the island, do the next mission when you're ready!" and the stupid "HEY HERE'S WHAT MISSION YOU ARE ON IN CASE YOU FORGOT IN THE PAST FOUR MINUTES" thing tells you exactly that over and over until you do the mission.
Yeah, this is a pretty significant difference between this and Skyrim. I can't even remember which quest is the main one in that game, I've got so many other sidequests on the go.

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

So is the digital deluxe DLC worth the $10 extra or is it just tacked on and not much content at all?

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!
So I will be picking this game up in a few short hours when I head home from college for the day.

From what I have seen though, without reading spoiled stuff, one of the big complaints seems to be that the game keeps mentioning that the main character slowly descends into a sort of "madness" as the fights his way through the island. I actually think that this sounds kind of cool. Once again, I haven't played the game yet, or read any of the spoiler stuff, but it seems like some people think it is trying to make a social commentary about the player's own bloodlust. I really don't think that that is the point of it. It seems more like it is trying to create some sort of litmus test to compare normal social behavior, versus what the main character is becoming in order to survive. Without it, it is just another "man fighting through the jungle and learning killing skills." It just sounds like it is just reminding you that the main character used to be someone that you could see in your town, but now look at him.

Also, a "put down your gun and leave the island" option wouldn't make sense. From what little I have gathered, you have to save your friends, and also leaving would probably result in your death since there isn't much cover on the open seas.

I could be wrong though. I will let you know after I play the game all the way through. They might have done something completely different and kind of dumb.

Finally, a few questions. First, if I snipe a guard at an outpost, is he dead forever, or will he eventually be replaced as long as the outpost doesn't get wiped.

Second, should the alarm be raised, but I am not discovered, will the reinforcements eventually leave?

Third, is there any sort of camo system in this game? Sniping guards in a bright red Hawaiian shirt was just a little odd. (even with a flak jacket covering it.)

Fourth, how are the island locations? Are they actually interesting? Probably my biggest disappointment from the second game was the complete lack of interesting areas compared to the first game. My favorite part of Farcry was when you had to fight your way through the rusted out Japanese aircraft carrier that was beached.

Finally, how is the sniping distance in the game? I know that the first game had an amazing sniping distance, though the linear nature kept it from being fully utilized. Is the distance still there, or do I have to get up close and personal in order to actually start taking shots.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Croccers posted:

First impression Multiplayer trip-report:
-Seems to use console-rubbish matchmaking which makes it a pain in the arse to get a not-laggy match.
-Seems the follow the standard Level up to unlock weapons/Level up weapons by using them to get attachments stuff. I personally dislike having to get 50+ kills on a gun to get *insert mod here*. YMMV.
-The Mercy/Punishment thing is amusing I guess.
-Skills are unbalanced. The Sixth Sense acts a little too much wall-hacky.
-I like the killcam thing, tracks Killers and the Victims location and shots.

Haven't got to try co-op. No-one local and up at my time to play.
You can earn mods from the decoding system, also, you can earn gifts that you can send to friends too.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Anyone here putting the map editor through it's paces? How's it doing (on 360, at least?) Also, I'm going to assume that 'Predator' mode is no longer a thing at all? Man, I loved that in Far Cry: Instincts. So great. Never played FC2.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Naturally Selected posted:

Thank you for putting it way better than I would have. FC3 is a story, not some huge political comment on video games in general or video gaming or whatever the gently caress. It's a dark story, but it's a STORY. The gameplay is fun, the story is actually better than most, but why are people trying to create this totally meta and deep connection with the players and holy poo poo it's such a deep meta comment on games in general and look how deep I am that I can read so far into it.

Oh, and to the people screaming about neocolonialism and the horrible evils of tourism, go kill yourselves. Seriously. You should realize that by simply posting on the internet you are exploiting thousands of people and are supporting the very neocolonialost slave-driving corporate overlords that you so valiantly make stands against in a thread about shooty games. So stop being neocolonialist pricks yourselves, stop exploiting all that labor, stop using up air that would be so much better utilized by the noble people of fake tropical island with PMC pirates, and actually kill yourselves.

This first paragraph is obnoxious. One can critically interpret any fictional narrative as long as it is supported by the text. Have you finished the game and you can ensure that there is no political or metatextual context to the game? Because a bunch of games have come out that do explore these kind of themes.

And why such a violent reaction to people exploring the second point? Does it make you feel guilty, maybe?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

I honestly didn't expect to see this much literary criticism in the FarCry 3 thread, the box art has a dude in a mohawk standing next to a decapitated head and looking all smug about it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

SheepNameKiller posted:

I honestly didn't expect to see this much literary criticism in the FarCry 3 thread, the box art has a dude in a mohawk standing next to a decapitated head and looking all smug about it.

I went with Vass did the classic torture of burying someone alive on the beach, leaving him to die when the tide comes in....

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

etalian posted:

I went with Vass did the classic torture of burying someone alive on the beach, leaving him to die when the tide comes in....
The Far Cry 3 Experience, and you can find that head in-game.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

gibbed posted:

Yes Yes!

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Naturally Selected posted:

Thank you for putting it way better than I would have. FC3 is a story, not some huge political comment on video games in general or video gaming or whatever the gently caress. It's a dark story, but it's a STORY. The gameplay is fun, the story is actually better than most, but why are people trying to create this totally meta and deep connection with the players and holy poo poo it's such a deep meta comment on games in general and look how deep I am that I can read so far into it.

The game does a great job of creating a sense of unease in the player by telling a good story. Everything works for it: the loading screens, the music, the narrative/drugs, the characters all point out that as a character, Jason is going loving insane, and I think the amount of murder and how *fun* it is in the game reinforces that. It's not about HOLY poo poo GAMES SOCIAL COMMENTARY. It's a guy's descent into what amounts to madness.

Oh, and to the people screaming about neocolonialism and the horrible evils of tourism, go kill yourselves. Seriously. You should realize that by simply posting on the internet you are exploiting thousands of people and are supporting the very neocolonialost slave-driving corporate overlords that you so valiantly make stands against in a thread about shooty games. So stop being neocolonialist pricks yourselves, stop exploiting all that labor, stop using up air that would be so much better utilized by the noble people of fake tropical island with PMC pirates, and actually kill yourselves.

Hey bro, welcome to the Games discussion forum here on SA, where we discuss the poo poo out of games! Hope you enjoy your time here and don't take things too personally!

No seriously though, go gently caress yourself. I think it's actually pretty cool that this game, of all things, has managed to spark all this critical discussion. I think it's a testament to how much writing in games has been improving over the last few years, and if 2012's primo explosion/murder simulator can prompt these kinds of analyses, then there's hope for this industry yet.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
So the RPS comment thread brought up that F1-F5 open up the various skill and crafting menus, and F9/F11 quicksave/load.

Godlovingdammit. Put that in bold in the OP would you?

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Dec 4, 2012

Attention Horse
Jan 5, 2012

coffeetable posted:

So the RPS comment thread brought up that F1-F5 open up the various skill and crafting menus

:aaaaa:

This changes everything

edit: why the gently caress those buttons aren't mentioned in the controls?!

edit2: I just discovered in the game files (My Documents/My Games/Far Cry 3/gamerprofile.xml) that there is a way to enable Ironsights Toggle. I'll check if it works.

Attention Horse fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Dec 4, 2012

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Well hey that's good to know.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

coffeetable posted:

So the RPS comment thread brought up that F1-F5 open up the various skill and crafting menus, and F9/F11 quicksave/load.

Godlovingdammit. Put that in bold in the OP would you?

Well that would have helped during my play through :doh:

Naturally Selected
Nov 28, 2007

by Cyrano4747

UP AND ADAM posted:

This first paragraph is obnoxious. One can critically interpret any fictional narrative as long as it is supported by the text. Have you finished the game and you can ensure that there is no political or metatextual context to the game? Because a bunch of games have come out that do explore these kind of themes.

And why such a violent reaction to people exploring the second point? Does it make you feel guilty, maybe?

There's literary criticism and then there's death of the author critical reading of things that aren't even in the loving writing but make sense because the reader knows better and :psyboom:. It's almost like most "critical interpretation" is intellectual masturbation and nothing else. So get hosed.

As to the second point, not guilty in the least. In fact, we should re-colonize the gently caress out of every beach in the world and get self-righteous jagoffs like you to be the slave labor that has to sweep the beach so our footprints wouldn't mar the view.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

gibbed posted:

See, this just makes me want to play as Vaas more.

• Locked thread