Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dorquemada
Dec 22, 2001

Goddamn Textual Tyrannosaurus

Two Finger posted:

Just for posterity, do you have a link to where that text came from?

http://www.fas.org/spp/starwars/elect96/bd0719b.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAN OF NICKELBACK
Apr 9, 2002
I dunno if this has been posted, but this article popped up on my facebook with the added text "So...why are we not hearing about this?"

This reporting pretty much embodies my personal definition of right wing media.

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Journalism/2012/12/02/Iraqi-Refugee-Bombs-AZ-Social-Security-Office-MSM-Remains-Silent

Headline:
IRAQI REFUGEE BOMBS AZ SOCIAL SECURITY OFFICE, MSM REMAINS SILENT

quote:

On Friday morning, an Iraqi refugee used an improvised explosive device (IED) to bomb a Social Security office in Casa Grande AZ -- the mainstream media remains silent.
[...]
On Friday night, both CNN and Reuters reported the bombing, but neither identified Aldosary or mentioned his Iraqi roots.

I laughed after I read all 7 sentences of this amazing story; "Breaking News: MSM media blackout. CNN and Reuters issue misleading report--continually refer to a male of Iraqi heritage as 'a man.'"

The damage from the horrific bomb (IED) (Iraqi Death Machine) that needs to be under 24/7 media coverage for the sake of our national security? A small fire was almost immediately put out and a metal door frame was blackened from the smoke.

Nimmy
Feb 20, 2011

Soon young Melvin.
Your time will come.

colonelslime posted:

Somebody has to do a study on the income political figures can expect to make now that they can seamlessly transition from primary or election loser to pundit. You have to figure it acts as a perverse incentive, effectively turning running in an election into a marketing strategy for later.

It's not only that. Being an ex-Congressman is probably the best career move anyone can make. 2 years and out. You get to say whatever you want (which you can't do when you're a representative) and you have lobbying firms tripping over themselves to offer you cushy high paying jobs. I think you might even get a pension too.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

FAN OF NICKELBACK posted:

The damage from the horrific bomb (IED) (Iraqi Death Machine) that needs to be under 24/7 media coverage for the sake of our national security? A small fire was almost immediately put out and a metal door frame was blackened from the smoke.

Well by now you should be aware that they have a massive problem with anything being black.

Walter
Jul 3, 2003

We think they're great. In a grand, mystical, neopolitical sense, these guys have a real message in their music. They don't, however, have neat names like me and Bono.
Tonight is band practice. That means a late-night drive home, during which time my local NPR station will be playing classical music. Not that I'm not a fan, but I usually switch to the local right wing station. At that hour, Mark Levin is on.

The guy is a frothing psychotic. Nothing I've ever heard him say remotely resembles the truth (except maybe for his product spots). John Boehner isn't conservative enough for him. Neither is Eric Cantor.

This guy is the embodiment of the Tea Party. Michelle Bachmann is his hero, and like her, the things he says are utterly devoid of reason.

I've never heard so many unsupported assertions, half-truths, and straight up lies in such a short stretch of time before. The guy is in a league by himself.

Add in the random yelling and occasional screaming at guests, and all I hear is a cartoon character on the other end. He's got to be a massive troll. The only other option is that the guy is quite literally insane.

Walter fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 4, 2012

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
So it turns out that Roger Ailes wasn't satisfied with making Fox News the propaganda wing of the Republican party, he took an active hand in trying to find its' presidential candidate for the 2012 elections.

quote:

Fox News chief Roger Ailes tried to get David Petraeus to run for president against President Obama in 2012, the Washington Post's Bob Woodward reported on Monday night.

Woodward released a 13-minute audio recording of Petraeus speaking to Fox News national security analyst KT McFarland in 2011. In the recording, McFarland told Petraeus that she had a message for him from Ailes: accept no government position other than chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, and if he was refused, run for president.

Petraeus laughed at the idea, but indicated that he had had other conversations with Ailes about it. "He said he would quit Fox ... and bankroll it," he said, adding that Rupert Murdoch was "after me as well" about a run.

"No, I think the one who's bankrolling it is the big boss," McFarland said, referring to Murdoch.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret

Sydney Bottocks posted:

So it turns out that Roger Ailes wasn't satisfied with making Fox News the propaganda wing of the Republican party, he took an active hand in trying to find its' presidential candidate for the 2012 elections.
I think almost every non-stupid GOP power broker backed Huntsman and/or was begging Daniels or Petreus or Christie or someone else until the doors closed on those options, and then they ran interference for Romney during the primary as best as they could. (Maybe a few backed Rick Perry for a bit, I don't remember.)

Mitchicon
Nov 3, 2006

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I can't imagine what would have happened had Petraeus run and then the scandal broke. FOX would have blamed Obama somehow.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012
I guess we just discovered why Eric Cantor hushed about the whole Petraus infidelity thing despite being one of those clued in early.

Sinking the career of Murdoch's prize electoral horse would pretty much ensure he'd never be able to find any gainful employment outside North Korea.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I've said this before and I'll repeat it again. Fox News is no longer the media arm of the GOP. The GOP is the political arm of the conservative entertainment complex.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

The Entire Universe posted:

It's also, I think, a big driver of how crazy the party doctrine is becoming. Get tossed out on your rear end by a public that thinks you're loving nuts for thinking women deserve to be raped and forced to bear the resultant baby should they stray from the kitchen? That's okay, come take a job driving party discourse in our media empire, you'll have a loyal audience and we'll pay you well!

It's like they just bounce back from losing elections by saying "gently caress you" to the sensibilities of the voting majority and get taken in by people like WND and Fox who then let them whip the faithful into an even crazier frenzy in time for the next election.

How can the crazy nutso base have enough money and assets to support these guys though? :psyduck: Unless it's more rich corporate backing that's driving all of it, but drat, you'd think they'd want a better return than driving off 7/8ths of the possible electorate demographics.

SilentD
Aug 22, 2012

by toby

Myrdhale posted:

How can the crazy nutso base have enough money and assets to support these guys though? :psyduck: Unless it's more rich corporate backing that's driving all of it, but drat, you'd think they'd want a better return than driving off 7/8ths of the possible electorate demographics.

You don't know how book releases work do you?

Here's how the game works. You say something crazy and flame out spectacularly. Then you form a PAC, non profit, whatever, or just get one to back you and raise up a loving ton of money from a few rich crack pots and your legions of crazy fans, go on TV a few times and say more crazy rear end poo poo. Then when peak wingnut hits, you release a book. It doesn't matter how bad this book is, hell the pages could be blank. What you do is you take all the money from your PAC and buy up all the copies of your book and then give them out to your supporters at rallies.

Bingo pay dirt. And since you bought a couple hundred thousand copies of your own book with not your money your book is a best seller, so more idiots buy it and you get even more of a cut of the money.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
I'm most impressed by the entire conservative academic complex. Take for example, the CEO of Americans United for Life Charmaine Yoest:

"Previously, Dr. Yoest served as the Project Director of the Family, Gender and Tenure Project at the University of Virginia, a nationwide study funded by the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation. She was also a recipient of Mellon, Olin, Bradley, and Kohler Fellowships. She also served as a Vice President at the Family Research Council, one of the largest pro-family public policy organizations in the country."

I bolded all the institutions and grants she's won from blatantly right wing foundations and think tanks. For most legitimate scientists (social or otherwise) NIH/NSF, Russell Sage, and other groups exist to fund genuinely interesting research conducted at a high level. It's amazing that an entire astroturf ecosystem has been built around an overt right wing bias in conducting social research. These people literally pay to listen to a different reality.

Fun story: She was in Missouri to attend a hearing on behalf of a bill banning sex selective abortion, and gave a nice testimony of how those wily Asian immigrants need a law to stop them from doing this. During the questioning part a democrat asked her if she was a medical doctor (since she bills herself as Dr. Yoest), and then asked her what her PhD was in (political science), and then asked no further questions.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Mitchicon posted:

I can't imagine what would have happened had Petraeus run and then the scandal broke. FOX would have blamed Obama somehow.

I'm sure the affair was part of the reason that he didn't run. There's no way that the affair wouldn't come out during a presidential race.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Peven Stan posted:

I bolded all the institutions and grants she's won from blatantly right wing foundations and think tanks.

Is the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation a right wing foundation? I always thought of it as fairly unbiased, though my exposure is mostly through seeing them mentioned at the beginning of NOVA episodes.

Do you have links to anything about them being right wing? I'm curious to read them.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Roger Ailes has been trying to play kingmaker for the last thirty years. This hasn't exactly been a hidden fact.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
I think Petraeus could still come back, if only to make a fool out of himself. It's hard to overestimate the narcotic effect of sycophancy, and Petraeus will surely have his supporters. "He did what any red-blooded American would do, demostrating his potency, athleticism unsated by his frumpy wife, pushing himself to the limit until he fainted in a Senate hearing," etc. He'd never make it but there might be enough GOP supportive insiders to intoxicate him with visions of power. The 2016 field really doesn't look all that great to be honest.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Slow Graffiti posted:

Is the Alfred P. Sloan Foundation a right wing foundation? I always thought of it as fairly unbiased, though my exposure is mostly through seeing them mentioned at the beginning of NOVA episodes.

Do you have links to anything about them being right wing? I'm curious to read them.

They buy legitimacy with poo poo like sponsoring PBS shows. If you don't know already, Alfred P. Sloan was the former chairman of GM in the 30s and an old school business conservative.

The foundation's goal was to "devote its resources almost exclusively to education in economics and business. Grants were made to develop materials to improve high school and college economics teaching; for preparation of and wide distribution of inexpensive pamphlets on the pressing economic and social issues of the day; for weekly radio airing of roundtable discussions on current topics in economics and related subjects; and for establishing a Tax Institute at the Wharton School to interpret new taxes and new trends in public finance for the average citizen."

They also sponsor a climate change denialist professor of meteorology at MIT. The interesting thing about them is that they're not as loud or boorish as the rest of the right wing academic complex, so people automatically equate them with mainstream and nonpartisan legitimacy.

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Peven Stan posted:

They buy legitimacy with poo poo like sponsoring PBS shows. If you don't know already, Alfred P. Sloan was the former chairman of GM in the 30s and an old school business conservative.

The foundation's goal was to "devote its resources almost exclusively to education in economics and business. Grants were made to develop materials to improve high school and college economics teaching; for preparation of and wide distribution of inexpensive pamphlets on the pressing economic and social issues of the day; for weekly radio airing of roundtable discussions on current topics in economics and related subjects; and for establishing a Tax Institute at the Wharton School to interpret new taxes and new trends in public finance for the average citizen."

They also sponsor a climate change denialist professor of meteorology at MIT. The interesting thing about them is that they're not as loud or boorish as the rest of the right wing academic complex, so people automatically equate them with mainstream and nonpartisan legitimacy.

I definitely know who Sloan is, and recall studying him when I got my economics degree.

What is the name of the scientist at MIT? I've been checking various sources on their current funding recipients (including NOVA and their support of research into marine life and dark energy/matter, and their large donation to support Wikimedia) and I can't find much evidence that they are a right-wing organization.

http://www.sloan.org/about-the-foundation/

Slow Graffiti fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Dec 4, 2012

Typical Pubbie
May 10, 2011
S.E. Cupp dictates what is and is not a disservice to a victim of domestic violence. Also, why don't liberals think of the hurt feewings of all the poor gun owners out there who are the real victims.

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/s-e-cupp-battles-steve-kornacki-over-bob-costas-shameful-pitch-for-gun-control-during-nfl-game/

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
http://minx.cc/?post=335422

Week three and they still don't understand that Democracy often means "people we don't like might get elected".

So much for freedom.

Breitbart.com threw a hissy over air wave regulation. Down to "nobody owns air waves or even light and if someone figures out a way to take it and sell it then DAT'S THE FREE MARKHET"

gently caress those people like that.

Think everyone who isn't out to nickle and dime their neighbor is a rube.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
When faced with the seemingly rhetorical question, "Why can't we have nice things?" the only sane and responsible answer can be "You."

It's pathetic that the conservative leaning media and pundits resort to childish whining when the idea of progress, no matter how small, is in the public discourse.

radical meme
Apr 17, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Sydney Bottocks posted:

I agree with the other comments above but the role that FOX is playing in the U.S. political system is pretty drat disturbing.

Look at the field in 2012 and count how many of the contenders were on the FOX payroll, plus you had Huckabee and Palin in the wings. Newt is back on FOX now. Then, during the campaign, you had Murdoch ordering Christie to get in line and renew his support for Romney after Sandy. Now this attempt by Ailes comes out. Murdoch is really close to just outright owning a U.S. President.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

radical meme posted:

I agree with the other comments above but the role that FOX is playing in the U.S. political system is pretty drat disturbing.

Look at the field in 2012 and count how many of the contenders were on the FOX payroll, plus you had Huckabee and Palin in the wings. Newt is back on FOX now. Then, during the campaign, you had Murdoch ordering Christie to get in line and renew his support for Romney after Sandy. Now this attempt by Ailes comes out. Murdoch is really close to just outright owning a U.S. President.

In the type of truly free market required for economic prosperity, even presidents are for sale.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May
A typical freeper type co-worker of mine brought up Egypt and the protests today at lunch. I try to stay out of politics at work but this was just such a softball. He kept going on about how Mursi is such a crook and Obama's best friend and all that, so I straight up asked him why he thought Mursi had done what he did with regards to judicial authority. Deer in the headlights (of course), so I explained that Mursi's position is that the judges were appointed under Mubarek and that their loyalty to the old regime calls into question their ability to rule impartially. I further asked him if he thought the Founders would have been cool with keeping all the Crown's judges in place after the American Revolution. I realize it's not a perfect analogy but the look on his face was just priceless.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

radical meme posted:

It brings me great solace that he will be die in the not too distant future.

Hopefully his successors will either be not as lovely or so lovely they ruin the company. I'll be happy either way.

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Slow Graffiti posted:

I definitely know who Sloan is, and recall studying him when I got my economics degree.

What is the name of the scientist at MIT? I've been checking various sources on their current funding recipients (including NOVA and their support of research into marine life and dark energy/matter, and their large donation to support Wikimedia) and I can't find much evidence that they are a right-wing organization.

http://www.sloan.org/about-the-foundation/

http://www-eaps.mit.edu/faculty/lindzen.htm

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Myrdhale posted:

It brings me great solace that he will be die in the not too distant future.

Hopefully his successors will either be not as lovely or so lovely they ruin the company. I'll be happy either way.

He's already started a culture that will outlive him by a lot. Wasn't there some australian billionaire heiress some time ago telling poor people to just stop whining and seek a workhouse who is also heavily investing in media?

We may be yet to see the biggest and most successful Murdochists take their turn at the plate. How's that for a comforting thought?

Slow Graffiti
Feb 1, 2003

Born of Frustration

Interesting guy. I like how he even dismissed a lot of the evidence linking smoking to lung cancer.

I certainly don't agree with his views, but he alone doesn't make me think that the Sloan Foundation is right wing based on all of the other things they have used their funds for.

Looking around their site I even found that they gave a fellowship to Richard Feynman, who is one of my heroes. So that's pretty :coal:

King Dopplepopolos
Aug 3, 2007

Give us a raise, loser!

Unzip and Attack posted:

A typical freeper type co-worker of mine brought up Egypt and the protests today at lunch. I try to stay out of politics at work but this was just such a softball. He kept going on about how Mursi is such a crook and Obama's best friend and all that, so I straight up asked him why he thought Mursi had done what he did with regards to judicial authority. Deer in the headlights (of course), so I explained that Mursi's position is that the judges were appointed under Mubarek and that their loyalty to the old regime calls into question their ability to rule impartially. I further asked him if he thought the Founders would have been cool with keeping all the Crown's judges in place after the American Revolution. I realize it's not a perfect analogy but the look on his face was just priceless.

You should have asked him why he thinks Morsi and Obama are pals. Is it just because Obama hasn't had him overthrown yet?

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

King Dopplepopolos posted:

You should have asked him why he thinks Morsi and Obama are pals. Is it just because Obama hasn't had him overthrown yet?

(1) They're both Muslims. Duh.
(2) Morsi is obviously a terrorist. Obama pals around with terrorists. Didn't you learn anything in school?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

Because Breitbart/AoS told him they were pals.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!
Joementum posted this in the Republican Rebuilding thread, so many of you have probably already seen it, but it was just too good not to crosspost here: Fox News Puts Karl Rove on the Bench

quote:

The post-election soul searching going on inside the Republican Party is taking place inside Fox News as well. Fox News chief Roger Ailes, a canny marketer and protector of his network’s brand, has been taking steps since November to reposition Fox in the post-election media environment, freshening story lines — and in some cases, changing the characters. According to multiple Fox sources, Ailes has issued a new directive to his staff: He wants the faces associated with the election off the air — for now. For Karl Rove and Dick Morris — a pair of pundits perhaps most closely aligned with Fox’s anti-Obama campaign — Ailes’s orders mean new rules. Ailes’s deputy, Fox News programming chief Bill Shine, has sent out orders mandating that producers must get permission before booking Rove or Morris. Both pundits made several appearances in the days after the election, but their visibility on the network has dropped markedly. Inside Fox News, Morris’s Romney boosterism and reality-denying predictions became a punch line. At a rehearsal on the Saturday before the election, according to a source, anchor Megyn Kelly chuckled when she relayed to colleagues what someone had told her: “I really like Dick Morris. He’s always wrong but he makes me feel good.”

A Fox spokesperson confirmed the new booking rules for Rove and Morris, and explained that Shine’s message was “the election’s over.

Multiple sources say that Ailes was angry at Rove’s election-night tantrum when he disputed the network’s call for Obama. While the moment made for riveting television — it was Ailes’s decision to have Kelly confront the statisticians on air — in the end, it provided another data point for Fox’s critics. A spokesperson for Ailes denied any rift between Ailes and Rove, and said the two plan to meet this week.

VirtualStranger
Aug 20, 2012

:lol:

quote:

“I really like Dick Morris. He’s always wrong but he makes me feel good.”

What a great new slogan for Fox News.

"It's always wrong, but it makes me feel good"

VirtualStranger fucked around with this message at 00:41 on Dec 5, 2012

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

VirtualStranger posted:

What a great new slogan for Fox News.

"It's always wrong, but it makes me feel good"

Jon Stewart was thinking along the same lines, just with a different Megyn Kelly quote:

:v:

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
Sme of the sites I visit have been discussing Fox and MSNBC in the wake of the elections, and one thing I've never noticed them mention, even if they defend MSNBC against Fox, is that Fox doesn't just go after Democratic politicians and left-leaning figures, but the segments of the population that vote blue as well. Especially since the election when we hear about entitled poor people, minorities who want free stuff, Muslims who don't speak out enough against terrorism, and slutty single women. Do Olbermann or Ed Schultz on their worst days have segment devoted to trashing "racist rednecks" or "stupid fundies?" Bill Maher does, but he isn't on MSNBC, is he?

Dr Christmas fucked around with this message at 00:58 on Dec 5, 2012

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Hillary Clinton said some nice things about Morsi after he brokered the Israel/Gaza ceasefire.

FAUXTON
Jun 2, 2005

spero che tu stia bene

Myrdhale posted:

The corporate base are rich enough to insulate themselves from conservative social policy and know they will benefit from favoritism on taxes and regulatory/labor policy. Foreign policy for elected conservatives basically goes along with the poo poo Smedley Butler lamented some 80 years ago or so, making various regions safe for business interests. Of course it's with the exception of Ronpaul on the foreign policy front alone, but he's retiring anyway.

So yes, the crazies get bankrolled by the business plotters just like the rest of them. It's just a marketing type of setup - fund candidate with social message x to get economic plan y implemented, profit. Same with news channels - editorialize to shape an ideologically uniform audience, then sell that market predictability to advertisers. The advertisers on FNC don't care about the audience's ideas on abortion or prayer in schools, but you bet your rear end they'd at least consider buying their gold futures or Chevy Tahoes or post-apocalyptic hermit gear.

Sydney Bottocks
Oct 15, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 days!

Dr Christmas posted:

Sme of the sites I visit have been discussing Fox and MSNBC in the wake of the elections, and one thing I've never noticed them mention, even if they defend MSNBC against Fox, is that Fox doesn't just go after Democratic politicians and left-leaning figures, but the segments of the population that vote blue as well. Especially since the election when we hear about entitled poor people, minorities who want free stuff, Muslims who don't speak out enough against terrorism, and slutty single women. Do Olbermann or Ed Schultz on their worst days have segment devoted to trashing "racist rednecks" or "stupid fundies?" IBill Maher does, but he isn't on MSNBC, is he?

Maher's not on MSNBC (he's on HBO), and neither is Olbermann anymore (I'm not sure what he's on these days).

I don't honestly recall any segments on MSNBC in recent days where Maddow or Matthews or Sharpton or anyone took conservative voters to task or ripped on Republicans as a whole as being idiots. They do talk about specific conservative individuals or groups that have done something particularly repugnant (and also newsworthy); but I don't recall ever seeing them leading up to the election (or after) saying "Republicans, what a bunch of rubes" in terms of the actual Republican electorate (now, Republican media types and politicians being rubes is a different story :v:).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?

Sydney Bottocks posted:

Maher's not on MSNBC (he's on HBO), and neither is Olbermann anymore (I'm not sure what he's on these days).

I don't honestly recall any segments on MSNBC in recent days where Maddow or Matthews or Sharpton or anyone took conservative voters to task or ripped on Republicans as a whole as being idiots. They do talk about specific conservative individuals or groups that have done something particularly repugnant (and also newsworthy); but I don't recall ever seeing them leading up to the election (or after) saying "Republicans, what a bunch of rubes" in terms of the actual Republican electorate (now, Republican media types and politicians being rubes is a different story :v:).

Yeah, one thing that's particularly disturbing about having in-laws immersed in right-wing media is that they will openly call liberals "stupid" or "insane" in front of my wife and I (we are both quite left-leaning). I know for a fact they get all their talking points verbatim from Fox News and Beck's radio show. In a way it's the ultimate iteration of conservatives projecting their flaws onto liberals