Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Pieced this together over the past two weeks.

Receiver is a Kenwood KR-3130 found at a local thrift store. Picked up the wharfedale 60 speakers and the Technics SL-B202 turntable at a local record store. I'm sure I paid too much for the receiver but it works just fine, just needs a bit of cleaning. This is my very first stereo set up, I've been using headphones and cheap PC speakers the past 25 years.

What would be the best way of hooking a Ipad into this system? I'm currently just using a 3.5 to RCA cable, is there a better way?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

TooLShack posted:

What would be the best way of hooking a Ipad into this system? I'm currently just using a 3.5 to RCA cable, is there a better way?
I'm not familiar with the audio on an iPad, but I use a LOD Cable from my iPhone into whatever stereo system/headphone amplifier I use. It bypasses the amplifier on the iDevice so you're running straight line out into the amp section on your receiver.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
I second the LOD cable. Had no idea it was called that, but it's what I use too. With a 3.5mm to RCA adapter into the aux-in on the receiver, that's the best you can do.

Meow Meow Meow
Nov 13, 2010

BANME.sh posted:

I second the LOD cable. Had no idea it was called that, but it's what I use too. With a 3.5mm to RCA adapter into the aux-in on the receiver, that's the best you can do.

I had no idea this existed, going to have to buy a few. It seems the average price at most places is $50 for them and even more for RCA instead of 3.5mm.

Maybe I'll have to butcher a few so I can bypass the 3.5mm to RCA cable.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Meow Meow Meow posted:

I had no idea this existed, going to have to buy a few. It seems the average price at most places is $50 for them and even more for RCA instead of 3.5mm.

Maybe I'll have to butcher a few so I can bypass the 3.5mm to RCA cable.

$50? The link that dude posted to amazon is only $9.25, and even cheaper at other online stores. Here's one for $3.99 - http://www.cellphoneshop.net/35mmdock.html

You can also get an adapter for 60 cents at monoprice - http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=104&cp_id=10429&cs_id=1042902&p_id=7190&seq=1&format=2

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

Also, you can use the official Apple iPhone dock with the 3.5mm port in the back, that's what I used to use (I've since switched to an AirPort Express, AirTunes is amazing).

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Thanks for the help, turntable just freaked out. It's a Technics SL-B202, when I got it a new belt had been put on. It's just losing all speed control and going as fast as the motor can spin. Just gonna take it back to the shop I got it from and see if there is anything else to get, I want and working system for Thanksgiving.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
This burrito is delicious, but it is filling.
Don't quote me on this, but I think that's a symptom of a burnt out control IC which is pretty much unfix-able as they are just not available anymore.

MichiganCubbie
Dec 11, 2008

I love that I have an erection...

...that doesn't involve homeless people.

Blistex posted:

I asked the nearest guy, "Hey, that stereo down there, did it still work?" To which he replied, "Yah, but there was no way to hook my iPod into it".

It's the tuning dial to a very nice Marantz receiver:suicide:

I totally would have been like "Dude, that thing is worth like a thousand bucks." just to see the reaction.

That's so sad, though. :(

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

MichiganCubbie posted:

I totally would have been like "Dude, that thing is worth like a thousand bucks." just to see the reaction.

That's so sad, though. :(

I was utterly heartbroken when I saw it down there. When he said it worked I honestly had no words. I think I might have even made a, "pffffft" sound out of sheet bewilderment.

If I could have gotten down to it, I probably could have sold the dials for $100 on ebay.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005

Ron Burgundy posted:

When I first started collecting records about a decade ago (I was a really cool 15 year old) I saw a picture of a record player on the internet and I knew that one day I had to have one. It arrived in the post today! My new pride and once it's cleaned and greased, joy. The 1960(ish) Garrard 4HF in it's rare matching white enamel and red rubber plinth. These were usually bought chassis only and installed in radiograms/consoles. The arm tracks happiest at about 3 grams minimum, so it will be on 78 and old mono duty mostly. The cartridge is currently a turnover Ronette crystal, but the headshells are plentiful as they match other models, so I'll put a low compliance stereo mag cart in another soon enough.

Cross posting from the vinyl thread because I'm sure some of you would like to know about my new record eraser.

Also:

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer
That's awesome. I've always wanted one of those small portable-ish units for playing 78s

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
We found a Klein & Hummel OY studio monitor, is this worth anything much? It all works, nice sound too.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

Question, how bad is it that the cantilever seems to be bent like this?

The tip is still on there and playing it on a record I didn't really care about it seems to play fine, even the channel balance didn't seem off enough to notice. Should I just get a new stylus or will I be fine using this one for a while? Cartridge is a Shure M91ED with a N44C stylus.

edit: I just noticed that when it's on a record being played it's just a bit off of being straight so I guess I'm not that worried.

piratepilates fucked around with this message at 03:54 on Dec 2, 2012

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

piratepilates posted:

Question, how bad is it that the cantilever seems to be bent like this?

The tip is still on there and playing it on a record I didn't really care about it seems to play fine, even the channel balance didn't seem off enough to notice. Should I just get a new stylus or will I be fine using this one for a while? Cartridge is a Shure M91ED with a N44C stylus.

edit: I just noticed that when it's on a record being played it's just a bit off of being straight so I guess I'm not that worried.

You might notice slightly more inner groove distortion at different points throughout the record, especially near the end. You're essentially playing a hella misaligned cartridge. It won't hurt to keep using it, but a new stylus is only $20.

piratepilates
Mar 28, 2004

So I will learn to live with it. Because I can live with it. I can live with it.

BANME.sh posted:

You might notice slightly more inner groove distortion at different points throughout the record, especially near the end. You're essentially playing a hella misaligned cartridge. It won't hurt to keep using it, but a new stylus is only $20.

Ain't even the right needle for this cartridge anyway (and it needs hella much tracking weight according to google), I'll probably order one from amazon but it shouldn't matter if the description says it's not an original Shure needle as long as it's made to fit on the cartridge right?

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Most of the styli you can buy for older model carts are third party like Pfanstiehl are pretty good. NOS OEM styli are sometimes expensive, i'm sure the difference is there, but is it $$ better?

Also that stylus you have in there is a spherical profile, so it won't be damaging records.

minivanmegafun
Jul 27, 2004

I'm always amazed by how many Pfanstiehl styluses are still floating around on the market. I remember when the Waukegan, IL factory closed back in the early 90s. As far as I'm aware, all of the styluses from them available now are just some huge cache of NOS that's still being sold.

Peacebone
Sep 6, 2007
My Pioneer SX-770 right channel doesn't work anymore on the right channel for both A + B. My question is it worth it to try to repair it, and if so what are the best options for going about that? Or should I just buy a new receiver. I did a cleaning with deoxit last night, but that didn't change anything.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

In my opinion that is a beautiful receiver and well worth the repair, as long as it is in good shape.

LooksLikeABabyRat
Jun 26, 2008

Oh dang, I'd nibble that cheese

Peacebone posted:

My Pioneer SX-770 right channel doesn't work anymore on the right channel for both A + B. My question is it worth it to try to repair it, and if so what are the best options for going about that? Or should I just buy a new receiver. I did a cleaning with deoxit last night, but that didn't change anything.

See if you can find a good repair shop in your area. Here in San Francisco there's a guy that only makes house calls and has been repairing stereos for 40 years. He even stayed at my place for 20 minutes after putting a record on just to make sure everything was fine and realized he needed to make another repair.

pork never goes bad
May 16, 2008

That guy is awesome. I had him set up my turntable initially after getting it out of storage, and he did a bang up job.

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
I'd try fixing it. I picked up a SX-727 this past friday and hosed it two days later being retarded with too many speakers. There is a pioneer subforum on Audiokarma.org that has this one guy with a wealth of knowledge. He is currently helping me with my issue. I'm sure he or the other guys there can sort you out, very friendly place.

Also, I bought something stupid today.

Partycat
Oct 25, 2004

Cleaned up my Dad's old Sanyo 2050 with some Deoxit today. There were holes in the pots, but it really seemed like the crap was getting all over the place. Followed through with the gold, though, and all the crackling/popping/channel dropouts seemed to have stopped for the time being.

I still have to ramp the volume a bit initially to get the left channel to come in, the power meter shows it at .5W at dead silent, so there's probably a cap to replace. But, since it hasn't exploded or lit on fire yet, so far so good.

Going into a pair of KLH L853Bs that sound fine to me. I have a set of Pioneer 3 way units in storage that need some work, but, primarily they have a bunch more bass than I want in the apartment at the moment.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Replaced the failing Ronette crystal cartridge with an old Stanton 500II from the cartridge box. Made my own shims by cutting up bits of old plastic cutting board. Had to use this or something like a Shure SC35C or another equally low compliance cart as this arm is like an I beam and will crush the cantilever of anything dainty that tracks below about 3. The VTF is fully adjustable, but there is just so much arm mass.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Dec 8, 2012

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Crossposting from Ask/Tell:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521484

As far as I understand: The CD player is garbage, the speakers are probably garbage, but the tuner and amplifier are serviceable? I understand this was Kenwood's entry-level equipment at the time so I'm not looking to be blown away, but I think the idea of having an old stereo with all sorts of knobs and switches is fun. :downs:

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Yea, the cd player isn't all that great, but if it works and you like it use it until you find something better.
That amp is about 40W/ch @8ohms rms, clean out the controls and recap that and you've got a quality amp for the next 30 or 40 years.
http://audio-heritage.jp/TRIO-KENWOOD/amp/ka-6004.html

Those speakers are the Smaller Advents and great units, if the foam surround is in good shape. If not, refoam those suckers and recap the crossovers and clean the tweeter controls. Even if the foam's good you'll probably want to recap & clean the controls anyway. A lot of times people think tweeters are blown when it's just oxidation on the controls or bad Xover caps causing problems. Regrilling them is pretty easy. They're well regarded speakers.
http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/showthread.php?t=126376

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

Blistex posted:

Dump day is usually a happy day for me. I get to get rid of smelly things that are in my house, and sometimes I find treasures like a Sansui 881 reciever, some nice vintage speakers, a working PC, or RAM I can put in my slow-rear end work PC. Today though, it was a sad day.

A pic to start things off.

The way our dump is set up is there is a large concrete ledge that you drive your car/truck up to. You then throw your garbage into various bins ~15 feet below. There is a household garbage bin, a compostables bin, a recyclables bin, and scrap metal bin. They're set up in this manner so that people just have to throw them down. And even if the bin is nearly full, it's easy to throw your trash to the far side so the bin gets filled up easily.

There is also an electronics bin that is an enclosed box with a sliding door that goes on and off the back of a large truck. About the size of the U-Haul trucks. These are the only accessible bins in the dump, and people can go in them to deposit their old electronics. This is great because the stuff isn't thrown 15' down, and everything is out of the rain and elements, so if something good gets tossed in there, it won't get ruined by the weather.

On to the story. I go there, pull up and deposit my various trashes to the appropriate bins. I walk over to the electronics bin to see if there is anything good. Nothing. I'm heading back to my car when I hear "fratboy-esq" shouting and cheering. I get to the household bin in time to see three guys launching a large CRT tv into it. I was just about to tell them that it was the wrong bin, but though better as their truck was already empty, and there was no way for them to get their stuff out and put it in the right bin. I peer over and see a metal bed frame, two CRT computer monitors, an old Dell PC, a microwave, and the large CRT tv sitting on top of a metallic stereo receiver that looked like a crushed pop can.

I then glimpsed this, and had to look away.

I asked the nearest guy, "Hey, that stereo down there, did it still work?" To which he replied, "Yah, but there was no way to hook my iPod into it".

It's the tuning dial to a very nice Marantz receiver:suicide:

Christfuck, I have one of those units in storage. loving kids today :(

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
A couple of weeks ago I dusted off my Stanton STR-80 turntables (cheap direct drives) and noticed a terrible scratching and no speed control on one of them. Like, an actual grinding in the motor.

Tore it down and it looked like this large, thin ring magnet on the assembly that holds the big permanent magnets for the motor shattered and was knocking around.

I said "what the hell" and decided to try epoxying the whole thing back together on the armature or whatever you want to call it, and after I put it back together everything worked great, speed control back to normal, no noise.

Just a nice small victory in the eternal war against poo poo breaking down.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

Jonny 290 posted:

A couple of weeks ago I dusted off my Stanton STR-80 turntables (cheap direct drives) and noticed a terrible scratching and no speed control on one of them. Like, an actual grinding in the motor.

Tore it down and it looked like this large, thin ring magnet on the assembly that holds the big permanent magnets for the motor shattered and was knocking around.

I said "what the hell" and decided to try epoxying the whole thing back together on the armature or whatever you want to call it, and after I put it back together everything worked great, speed control back to normal, no noise.

Just a nice small victory in the eternal war against poo poo breaking down.

Why are you doing this and not working on the yosvape :mad:

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
I have a Beogram RX2 with a MMC3 cartridge. If the stylus pressure is on the recommended 1.2g there is fuzziness out of both channels (more on the right). If I up the stylus pressure to 2g (the max) it all goes away and sounds great.

Is this destroying my records?

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

I would definitely check that your cartridge is calculated.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

alg posted:

I would definitely check that your cartridge is calculated.

What do you mean by calculated? We used a scale to measure the stylus pressure precisely.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

Uhh, I meant to say calibrated. My phone corrected it. Like with a protractor.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
There is so much misinformation about tracking force on the internet it is crazy. A cartridge should be set to the upper end of it's rated tracking weight. For example a cartridge that recommends 1.5 to 2.5 grams should be set between 2.25 and 2.5 for best use. Tracking a cartridge too light causes more damage than heavy as the stylus cannot hold on as it is rattled around the groove ripping into the walls as it goes.

Some super low compliance cartridges like DJ carts recommend up to 5 grams. This is perfectly fine. A conical stylus at 5 grams on a clean record is totally OK. Most older second hand records you find at charity stores and record stores were probably played on much worse. Grandma's old changer that tracked at 2 ounces.

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?

Ron Burgundy posted:

There is so much misinformation about tracking force on the internet it is crazy. A cartridge should be set to the upper end of it's rated tracking weight. For example a cartridge that recommends 1.5 to 2.5 grams should be set between 2.25 and 2.5 for best use. Tracking a cartridge too light causes more damage than heavy as the stylus cannot hold on as it is rattled around the groove ripping into the walls as it goes.

Some super low compliance cartridges like DJ carts recommend up to 5 grams. This is perfectly fine. A conical stylus at 5 grams on a clean record is totally OK. Most older second hand records you find at charity stores and record stores were probably played on much worse. Grandma's old changer that tracked at 2 ounces.

What you say is definitely true, but the MMC3 is a very high compliance cart and it definitely shouldn't be seriously mistracking (to the point of sounding fuzzy) at the 1.2g median tracking force. If it still sounds that way after being cleaned, I'd be worried that the diamond and/or cantilever suspension is shot.

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
I really should have read a little closer before ranting.

I'm surprised that a 1.2 cartridge isn't bottoming out at 2 grams. I'd be hesitant to run an elliptical at almost a gram over the manufacturers specifications.

Typically B&O, the RX2 looks very minimalist and with not much in the way of adjustment. I think pudding is onto something with dried/rotting suspension if the cart is original to the table. It's definitely not unheard of.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
This is all great information, thank you. I don't really know poo poo about what I am doing here.

We cleaned the cantilever with super fancy needle cleaning supplies and it looks great under magnification (15x). When gently pressing down on the cantilever it seems to resist/spring back as you would expect. It doesn't flop about or anything like that.

We also had a tool that measured the position of the arm as it moved in towards the center of the platter to make sure it wasn't out of alignment and it passed that check. Is that what you are talking about, alg?

This is a craigslist find. The guy claimed his dad was the original owner. The player is in pristine condition and works beautifully otherwise. I think the needle is just worn, maybe? A rebuild in Europe is 99 euro, which I suppose isn't bad for an MMC3...

Ron Burgundy
Dec 24, 2005
Haha just read your thread on VE.

Content: From what I've read here and there i'm pretty sure it's a cartridge issue since the heavier tracking weight fixed it. This is pretty unfortunate as I believe those carts are horrendously expensive.

Ron Burgundy fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Dec 10, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funeral Pudding
Jun 20, 2006
My pal the tortoise, fast does he go?
If there were something creating friction in the tonearm bearings, that would also cause the cartridge not to track properly at lighter tracking forces. I'm not very familiar with B&O tonearms, so I can't give any specific suggestions, but you might try making sure the arm feels smooth throughout its range of motion. If there's any resistance, that could be your problem.