Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

Topoisomerase posted:

yeah, compressive + torquing forces can often do that. It's pretty neato.
Ha ha. It's pretty neato until it's a film of your leg. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
But think of the bunny sympathy!!

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

7lip posted:

But think of the bunny sympathy!!
Hey baby...wanna see how bad I hosed up my tibia?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

In my mere year and a half of playing, I've found the mere mention of playing hockey is good enough to get a conversation going.

Not in the "LETS JUMP IN BED NOWWWWW" sense, just that a lot of people seem curious about the game and don't know much about it.

First question is generally wanting to know what the gently caress "icing" is.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

In my mere year and a half of playing, I've found the mere mention of playing hockey is good enough to get a conversation going.

Not in the "LETS JUMP IN BED NOWWWWW" sense, just that a lot of people seem curious about the game and don't know much about it.

First question is generally wanting to know what the gently caress "icing" is.

I said this earlier in the thread, but I have a PhD in astrophysics and work at NASA. This does not get nearly the excitement and fun conversations going as "oh I play hockey". As you say, it's not a "LETS gently caress", but I've had much better success getting to know random strangers starting out talking about hockey than starting out talking about my job. I don't get it, but whatevs.

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.

coldwind posted:

Hey baby...wanna see how bad I hosed up my tibia?

Third biggest bone in my body! :haw:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

JetsGuy posted:

I said this earlier in the thread, but I have a PhD in astrophysics and work at NASA. This does not get nearly the excitement and fun conversations going as "oh I play hockey". As you say, it's not a "LETS gently caress", but I've had much better success getting to know random strangers starting out talking about hockey than starting out talking about my job. I don't get it, but whatevs.

:sigh: Anytime it comes up that I'm a vet student (usually not from me bringing it up, that's for drat sure) no matter what the current conversation is it immediately shifts to OH SO I HAVE THIS DOG.....+/- 'my vet is so expensive' and 'what do you think about raw diets?' and "my cat pees in the house tell me why."

I wouldn't say they're exciting and fun conversations but it never fails. I think most vets come up with an alternate occupation to tell people on a casual social level early on in their careers. I'd much rather talk about hockey!

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Topoisomerase posted:

:sigh: Anytime it comes up that I'm a vet student (usually not from me bringing it up, that's for drat sure) no matter what the current conversation is it immediately shifts to OH SO I HAVE THIS DOG.....+/- 'my vet is so expensive' and 'what do you think about raw diets?' and "my cat pees in the house tell me why."

I wouldn't say they're exciting and fun conversations but it never fails. I think most vets come up with an alternate occupation to tell people on a casual social level early on in their careers. I'd much rather talk about hockey!
PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY PLAYER!!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Being a Computer Engineer is the worst, especially considering I work at a large semiconductor company.

"So I have this problem with my computer"
:fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff: :fuckoff:

The first questions I get when I tell someone I play hockey, without fail, is either:
- Do you still have all your teeth?
- So you get to beat people up, huh?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Topoisomerase posted:

Oh, hockey conversations are infinitely better than the conversations where I have to talk about science for hours. So I feel ya. I'm here to drink, I don't want to talk about why black holes aren't time portals AGAIN. :cry:

Although really the #1 response I hear to my occupation is "I hated physics/math". :suicide:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got a trifecta going:

a) IT worker
b) High energy physics lab
c) Hockey

If I mention IT, they want me to fix their computer. If I mention fermilab, their eyes glaze over in about two seconds after I mention "sub atomic particles". If I mention hockey, a conversation starts.

(so I talk about hockey a lot now even though I'm poo poo at it)

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

JetsGuy posted:

I said this earlier in the thread, but I have a PhD in astrophysics and work at NASA.

I saw this first sentence and I thought you were going to finish with "... and even I can't even explain icing."

Usually when I tell people that I'm a production manager in a color graphics shop, all I get is "Yes, but what do you do?"

When I tell people I play hockey, first I get a surprised look. Guys mostly think it's cool, most women seem surprised.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
At least in North Alabama I can talk out of my rear end about hockey and most people won't know it. :haw:

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

IT/Hockey person. What's great has been recent conversations with some of my contractors and developers who are out of state.
"So how was your holiday?"
"Good. Family, food, hock--"
"YOU PLAY HOCKIES TOO!? NO WAY"
and so began a long conversation about how Atlanta needs more rinks and the thrashers were doomed from the start.
Yes, hockey is a good conversation mover and ladies like it too.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Zamboni_Rodeo posted:

When I tell people I play hockey, first I get a surprised look. Guys mostly think it's cool, most women seem surprised.

That's generally the response I get, but I'll tell ya I have seen many a female eyes turn from "this guy is another boring scientist/engineer in this town" to interested fairly quickly when I bring up hockey. And yeah, they're usually surprised too, so I guess it's that I have all my teeth.

TL/DR: I am a boring sack of poo poo without hockey, apparently. :v:

Topoisomerase
Apr 12, 2007

CULTURE OF VICIOUSNESS

coldwind posted:

PROFESSIONAL HOCKEY PLAYER!!

Hey I do get paid for officiating maybe I could just be like "Yep I'm a hockey ref. Yep that's all." I wouldn't mind explaining icing to people in lieu of trying to awkwardly avoid criticizing their current vet and/or diagnosing their animal that I've never seen before that has vague signs that only occur during the crescent moon when Jupiter is in Leo or whatever.

People around here usually assume I mean (in this order) field hockey or roller hockey. "No...on the ice." Then I say I'm from back east and they go "Ahh, I was wondering..."

Actually my favorite response I get when people find out I'm a vet student is is "You must really like animals!" :what:

Topoisomerase fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Dec 4, 2012

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

It's a good thing most dating partners don't know what being a hockey player really means -- you're constantly smelly and leaking money.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

sellouts posted:

It's a good thing most dating partners don't know what being a hockey player really means -- you're constantly smelly and leaking money.

People are always shocked when I tell them how much I spend per month on hockey... and I suck at it.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Sports Argument Stadium* > SAS Hockey Player Thread: ITT We Complain About Others Asking About Our Careers

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Not all of us can lead the fast-paced, ever-evolving lifestyle of a shut-in numbers monkey, Bradford :colbert:

toxicsunset
Sep 19, 2005

BUY MORE CRABS
I don't think I've ever mentioned that I play hockey to anyone I've just met it doesn't seem like something that has a reasonable reason to be brought up in conversation.

When I tell people I'm an electrical engineer they usually go "Oh... but what do you do and I never really have a good answer so I change the subject. Unless Im drunk, and my answer is "I dunno loving autocad and drawings and poo poo"

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

toxicsunset posted:

I don't think I've ever mentioned that I play hockey to anyone I've just met it doesn't seem like something that has a reasonable reason to be brought up in conversation.

When I tell people I'm an electrical engineer they usually go "Oh... but what do you do and I never really have a good answer so I change the subject. Unless Im drunk, and my answer is "I dunno loving autocad and drawings and poo poo"

Mostly this. Asking what people do for a living feels so trite. It's the easiest question, but usually goes nowhere fast.

I think I've met approximately three people who know what a systems administrator does for a living. Thankfully, I keep my sticks and my gear in my Subaru, so when they ask "Did something recently die in your car?" that usually gets the hockey conversation started.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

My gear is completely smell free. :colbert:

But I've never had to leave it in the bag for an extended period after skating so I suppose that might have something to do with it.

I mostly get asked about hockey when I'm wearing my warm up jacket. They want to know what "CCM" is.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
v:shobon:v don't any of y'all talk about hobbies/interests when chatting someone up at a bar?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

xzzy posted:

My gear is completely smell free. :colbert:

But I've never had to leave it in the bag for an extended period after skating so I suppose that might have something to do with it..

It mostly has to do with only skating for a year and not skating that often!

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

My gear don't stank. Take care yo gear.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I used to be so religious about washing the removable pad inside my shin guard but now I'm all like gently caress it when I hang up my gear after a skate.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

sellouts posted:

It mostly has to do with only skating for a year and not skating that often!

Look at this guy who's jealous that his hockey gear doesn't smell like flowers and sunshine.

dms666
Oct 17, 2005

It's Playoff Beard Time! Go Pens!

JetsGuy posted:

I used to be so religious about washing the removable pad inside my shin guard but now I'm all like gently caress it when I hang up my gear after a skate.

Just taking stuff out of your bag after playing is usually good enough to keep the smell down to almost nothing. I still try to wash all my pads at least 1-2 times a year.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

xzzy posted:

Look at this guy who's jealous that his hockey gear doesn't smell like flowers and sunshine.

Only girl's gear smells like flowers and sunshine because everyone knows girl sweat don't stink. :v:

(I'M KIDDING TOPO!! ;) )

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My garage smells like death when I leave for work in the morning following a game.

Dangerllama posted:

I keep my sticks and my gear in my Subaru, so when they ask "Did something recently die in your car?" that usually gets the hockey conversation started.

This is a great way to stay single.
Who in their right mind would keep their gear in their car? :cry:

e: VVV That makes more sense. I used to hit stick time in the morning before work and my car would smell terrible in the evening.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Dec 4, 2012

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Meh. I don't really have the luxury of always taking my gear out of my bag right after a skate. If I play at lunch, my car smells like a locker room when I leave work. I'm good about airing my gear out when I get home, but you just can't avoid stinkybag if you leave wet gear in it for more than a couple of hours.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
My "city" recently opened an outdoor "rink" (it's not even the size of the neutral zone) and I went skating there last weekend. Aside from being a sort of skating motorcross when I was done, I threw my skates in my car from some drinkin'. The next morning, when I woke up to go to my car, I realized I had left my skates in my car allllll night. It still has a little bit of a locker room smell to it.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I was wondering how the hell you people have your cars stink like hockey after leaving the bag in there for a few hours and then I realized you all probably aren't living in a place that takes care of that for you by freezing everything solid before it has a chance to permeate.

How quaint, lil southern hockey players, aww so cwute :3:

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Easy to not have smelly gear when you're getting to the rink on a sled, eh Pleads?

The Rocket gear dryer totally works by the way -- and is an awesome solution for those of us in apartments or otherwise restrictive situations without places to hang gear up or leave gear out long enough to dry. It'll dry your gear in 60-90 min.

And I am jealous that my gear doesn't smell like flowers and sunshine :( I just don't want to get new gear.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Pleads posted:

I was wondering how the hell you people have your cars stink like hockey after leaving the bag in there for a few hours and then I realized you all probably aren't living in a place that takes care of that for you by freezing everything solid before it has a chance to permeate.

How quaint, lil southern hockey players, aww so cwute :3:

This winter is another total bust. It's December and I haven't had to scrape ice off my car at all.

loving global warming, you're going to make me move to Canada if I want snow, aren't you?

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

xzzy posted:

They want to know what "CCM" is.

Do you tell them Canada Cycle & Motor?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

xzzy posted:

This winter is another total bust. It's December and I haven't had to scrape ice off my car at all.

loving global warming, you're going to make me move to Canada if I want snow, aren't you?

-15C with a foot of snow over the last 48 hours.

:smuggo:
:yosbutt:

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Pleads posted:

Silly Canadian, it's still 77F here with 50-60% humidity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutkowski
Apr 28, 2008

CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS GUY?

Pleads posted:

-22 with about three feet of snow over the last 72 hours.

Help me now!