Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib

Bob Morales posted:

I cherry-picked this one but the differences weren't as big as I remembered, and in some cases the 330 was faster than the 520 in certain benchmarks.

Like anyone can tell a difference either way.
I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at here. I mean I see the score for the 330, but the 520 isn't on there, just the 510.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

unpronounceable posted:

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be looking at here. I mean I see the score for the 330, but the 520 isn't on there, just the 510.

Derp. You're right, they didn't even test a 120GB 520 in those benchmarks.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
The performance is close enough between the 330 and 520 to be ignorable, anyhow.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Apparently some Taiwanese scientists have found a way to reheat the cells internally on the chips to restore functionality.

"They redesigned a flash memory chip to include on board heaters to anneal small groups of memory cells. Applying a brief jolt of heat to a very restricted area within the chip (800 degrees C) returns the cell to a "good" state."

Maybe 3-5 years before it's commercially available? If it's not vaporware or not usable on a large scale.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I just bake my SSD in the oven.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

Supradog posted:

Maybe 3-5 years before it's commercially available? If it's not vaporware or not usable on a large scale.
The rub (from what I've read) is that while this works well, the density is so ridiculously low from the space taken up by the heating elements and wiring to carry that much current that there's basically no reason to make this. My guess (could be totally wrong) is that a technology that doesn't wear like MRAM would end up more viable in the market.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

Intel engineers were doing that in the 1970s, it's not really anything new.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
They were doing the annealing on the block level? Because that bit does seem neat.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

DrPlump posted:

My first SSD ever came in the mail earlier today an Intel 330 240GB. I installed a fresh copy of windows in under 20 minutes. I don't mean the install from disk took 20 minutes I mean that 20 minutes later it was installed, fully patched, and I already had all my programs and games reinstalled. Get an SSD they are really loving fast. Also I only have SATA II so my drive might not even be getting full speed but it doesn't even matter.

I bought the same drive, installed it, it's plugged into a SATA6 port, etc., yet my boot time into Windows 7 is still around 15 - 20 seconds. Games installed on it don't seem to be loading any faster either.

Here's my benchmark:

And if it matters:
i5 2500K
ASUS P8Z68 V-LX mobo
8GB RAM

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

15 to 20 seconds sounds pretty good to me man. It took between 1:30 to 2 minutes when I was on a HDD.

uhhhhahhhhohahhh
Oct 9, 2012
When are we going to have SDRAM that can hold an electric charge. I'd definitely buy that 0.1ns access time, 100000MB/s SSD.

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip
FRAM works slightly differently but it probably would have fit the bill ten years ago if ramtron had sold out to some competent large company instead of making 32kb expensive toy eeprom replacements. And now they're owned by cypress, so by fy14 their products will probably light your computer on fire or some poo poo to boot

LUBE UP YOUR BUTT
Jun 30, 2008

Alereon posted:

The rub (from what I've read) is that while this works well, the density is so ridiculously low from the space taken up by the heating elements and wiring to carry that much current that there's basically no reason to make this. My guess (could be totally wrong) is that a technology that doesn't wear like MRAM would end up more viable in the market.

Maybe use the process to recycle old SSDs? If you could 'refresh' old chips and use them in new SSDs it would greatly lower the price, though the lifespan of each drive doesn't improve..

Humerus
Jul 7, 2009

Rule of acquisition #111:
Treat people in your debt like family...exploit them.

I just got my Intel 330 in the mail and I'm going to install it either later today or tomorrow. I'm planning to do a fresh install of W7 on it and then using my HDD for storage. I've got this AMD mobo. I went into the BIOS this morning and it will let me set AHCI on SATA ports 1-4 (all at the same time) and on 5 & 6 (again, only together). Right now I've got my HDD on Port 1 and my DVD drive on port 2, with 1-4 in IDE mode. Would it be okay to put ports 1-4 on AHCI mode, and put the SSD on port 1, the HDD on 2, and the DVD drive on 3?

Also, this is only slightly related, but my plan is to install the SSD, and make sure BIOS recognizes it as the boot disk, set up W7, then go into disk management and wipe and initialize the old HDD. Is this a bad idea? Should I use something to wipe the old HDD first? And do I need to do anything in regards to my W7 license beforehand? Like set up a transfer or something. Thanks for any advice.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
I can't advise on the rest of that stuff but you won't need to set up a transfer of the win7 license or anything. Unless you've already activated the same key several times in a short period of time, it will just work. Even if it didn't just work, you'd call the 800 number and tell the guy in India what you're doing and he'll press the button to make it okay.

lkz
May 1, 2009
Soiled Meat
Anandtech did some additional testing of the relationship between write performance consistency and the amount of spare area an SSD has.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

might want to drop this quote in the FAQ about TRIM

http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.linux.raid/39273/focus=39293

lil sartre
Feb 12, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My system hard drive (an old WD 6400AAKS) is failing and I'm not sure it's gonna survive till the weekend, so I wanna replace it as soon as possible, and with this occasion switch to an ssd that would hold the os and a few games. From what's available here (not america), I found good prices on an intel 330 240GB and intel 520 180GB. The 520 is a little cheaper, the equivalent of ~$25 less than the 330.
I wanna place the order today, someone please help me make a decision between the 2 :)

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

feld posted:

That sounds like the LSI/SandForce (and OWC) people talking. They say that TRIM sucks, and you should only buy ~authentic~ SandForce-powered drives.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

lil sartre posted:

My system hard drive (an old WD 6400AAKS) is failing and I'm not sure it's gonna survive till the weekend, so I wanna replace it as soon as possible, and with this occasion switch to an ssd that would hold the os and a few games. From what's available here (not america), I found good prices on an intel 330 240GB and intel 520 180GB. The 520 is a little cheaper, the equivalent of ~$25 less than the 330.
I wanna place the order today, someone please help me make a decision between the 2 :)

The only difference between those is the write lifetime, which is a non-issue for almost any desktop or laptop workload. I'd get the larger drive for $25 more; the extra space makes write endurance differences a wash (not that it matters), and it'd probably be a bit faster, too, since 180 GB drives are a bit of an odd duck.

Schiavona
Oct 8, 2008

DamnGlitch posted:

15 to 20 seconds sounds pretty good to me man. It took between 1:30 to 2 minutes when I was on a HDD.

For some reason I was pretty much hoping for/expecting 5-10 seconds after the BIOS posts. I know it's not a huge deal, I guess it just surprised me a bit.

MeKeV
Aug 10, 2010
I have just installed the 04MH firmware update on my msata crucial m4. I hesitated as I'm yet to see the initialising issue, but I've only had the drive for a week or so. And it can go back if I do experience the bug.

The firmware notes are pretty vague, but there's a mention about being more robust in the event of unexpected power outages, my (uninformed) guess is that it's related to the bug, but without them having to flat out admit to it?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice

feld posted:

That's wrong information from someone who doesn't seem to have an understanding of how SSDs work.

FallenGod
May 23, 2002

Unite, Afro Warriors!

So is 040H for the regular M4 the firmware we've been waiting for or should I stay on 000F for now?

Fastbreak
Jul 4, 2002
Don't worry, I had ten bucks.
I know based on the list that was updated in the OP of performance/price that this should be an easy choice, but I found these today and wondering if I should jump on them or not:

Samsung 830 256 ($209): http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC256B-WW/dp/B0077CR66A

Intel 520 240 ($218): http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-SATA-2-5-Inch/dp/B006VCP9G6

Should the Intel drive be an easy choice?

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

FallenGod posted:

So is 040H for the regular M4 the firmware we've been waiting for or should I stay on 000F for now?

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Solid-State-Drives-SSD/Crucial-m4-SSD-040H-04MH-firmware-available-now/td-p/114274

I'd pass on this for now.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Schiavona posted:

For some reason I was pretty much hoping for/expecting 5-10 seconds after the BIOS posts. I know it's not a huge deal, I guess it just surprised me a bit.

Which is like 10-20 times faster than a platter drive. This one is on you man, you gotta keep your expectations reasonable.

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.

Fastbreak posted:

I know based on the list that was updated in the OP of performance/price that this should be an easy choice, but I found these today and wondering if I should jump on them or not:

Samsung 830 256 ($209): http://www.amazon.com/SAMSUNG-2-5-Inch-Internal-MZ-7PC256B-WW/dp/B0077CR66A

Intel 520 240 ($218): http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Solid-State-Drive-SATA-2-5-Inch/dp/B006VCP9G6

Of those, I'd prefer the Samsung drive, but if spending a few extra dollars makes the Intel name and warranty worth it to you (plus the lower capacity and a minor speed drop you'd probably never notice), go for it.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

FallenGod posted:

I've already heard grumbling on the Crucial forums that this new version still plays poorly with UEFI mobos. I guess we skip this one too and stick with 000F.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

Fastbreak posted:

Just fyi that Samsung drive is $179 at B&H photo right now.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I hope this hasn't been answered yet, this thread moves fast.

What I'm seeing right now is that the 000F firmware for the M4 has UEFI BIOS issues. Would this be the reason why every so often, I get a black screen after the BIOS loads with an error message about "boot device not found?" The way I fix it is inserting my W7 disc and then booting using the Windows Boot Manager option in the BIOS screen. After I do it once I don't have the problem again for a while, usually a few weeks.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast
Crucial have lost an insane amount of goodwill now, holy poo poo. How did they manage to pound a decent reputation into the dirt? Be great if someone from Crucial would post.

The Gunslinger
Jul 24, 2004

Do not forget the face of your father.
Fun Shoe

HalloKitty posted:

Crucial have lost an insane amount of goodwill now, holy poo poo. How did they manage to pound a decent reputation into the dirt? Be great if someone from Crucial would post.

Their inability to simply ship a firmware revision without introducing bugs they already fixed in prior releases is honestly baffling. They also break/fix the updater every time, sometimes it detects my drive without needing to disable all non-Intel controllers and sometimes it doesn't feel like it. If the drive wasn't so otherwise solid I would have ditched it long ago.

DrPlump
Oct 5, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Schiavona posted:

I bought the same drive, installed it, it's plugged into a SATA6 port, etc., yet my boot time into Windows 7 is still around 15 - 20 seconds. Games installed on it don't seem to be loading any faster either.

Here's my benchmark:

And if it matters:
i5 2500K
ASUS P8Z68 V-LX mobo
8GB RAM

About 10 seconds is going to be as fast as you can realistically get and from this point on each 2 second drop is going to cost you 200 dollars. The remaining boot time is no longer your hard drives fault but rather the processor, ram, and video card. Check your Windows experience scores for a good indication of the bottleneck (if it can even be called that at this point).

Something to consider is that it isn't nearly as impressive to boot a new install of Windows quickly as most people would notice an increase in boot speed as the result of a reinstall alone. However as you begin to install more programs the boot time should remain the same. Booting into windows with no programs on boot is meh. Booting into windows with 15 programs starting on boot and knowing you can start your game pretty much as soon as your mouse shows up is where its at. You no longer have to worry about "clutter" ever again unless you run out of hard drive space. With 8GB of ram you are never going to fill it all up and reading files from the drive on boot is now trival.

Most modern video games will load while you are playing so you won't notice a decrease in load times on them. There are some games that are notorius for loading issues such as Battlefield 3 and Diablo 3. With Battlefield 3 it loads the whole map at the start which should take a lot less time with an SSD. Most of the helicopters and tanks are taken by SSD users at the start of each round as they get into the match as much as 30 seconds earlier. With Diablo 3 it loads assest as you encounter them for the first time which has a side effect of causing you to lag right when you start to fight. Players with the game installed on an SSD report it resolving this issue.

mcsuede
Dec 30, 2003

Anyone who has a continuous smile on his face conceals a toughness that is almost frightening.
-Greta Garbo
Helps in MMOs too since there are so many map loads, both background loads and obvious loads (zoning into an instance in WoW or redeploying in Planetside2, as examples).

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

mcsuede posted:

Helps in MMOs too since there are so many map loads, both background loads and obvious loads (zoning into an instance in WoW or redeploying in Planetside2, as examples).

Yeah, I have a 1-2 second advantage over friends with a traditional hard drive when it comes to loading times. They all hate me for it. :v:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Hey guys, I'm having a weird intermittent problem with my drive where it'll frequently just vanish from the system causing the machine to crash catastrophi-

quote:

Do not buy OCZ drives, they are not reliable and OCZ has a reputation for loving consumers in various ways.
...oh, goddamnit :mad:

Immediately filed an RMA and ordered a Mushkin drive from Amazon. Thanks, hivemind!

John Lightning
Mar 10, 2012
So I bought a SanDisk Extreme during Black Friday because I thought it would be cool to re-install Win 7 on my old Dell XPS 720 and I have been reading a lot lately on how to set it up properly. I have found that this Dell made nForce 680i SLI motherboard doesn't support AHCI and only has SATA3Gbit/s. Is it still worth it for me to re-install Win 7 on this SSD? If I do install Win 7 on the SSD should I just leave everything in the BIOS the same or should I turn RAID on? I also have a 640GB hard drive with Win 7 on it currently and the original 320GB hard drive that I use for back-ups mainly if that makes any difference.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness
Without AHCI and a 6Gbps port you're not going to see the full potential of the SSD, but by no means will it handicap it so much that it wouldn't be worth installing. There's no reason to enable RAID in BIOS unless you actually plan on running a RAID setup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
The first SSD I used (an OCZ) years ago was without AHCI or SATA3 and it was still amazingly fast compared to what I was used to. I've since upgraded but it's never been a noticeable change like it was coming from an HDD. I wouldn't worry about it.

• Locked thread