Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Normally I'd agree with you. Pushing up if wrong for a airplane or helicopter. For some reason pushing up seems correct for a hovercraft. Like operating an elevator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

The NA Nintendo Direct is tomorrow at 9am PST/noon EST and will announce release dates for upcoming games up until like mid 2013 or something. Good, I'm glad we will finally have something to look forward to!

Please announce Luigi's Mansion release date :ohdear:

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.
On the topic of Nintendo Land, I absolutely love Luigi's Mansion, Animal Crossing, and Mario Chase. The whole idea of controlling the two guards with the two analog sticks is brilliant. And it's even cooler how the game adjusts for two players.

Edit: And the video at the end of Mario Chase! Awesome. Has anyone tried the Attraction Mode in place of Mario Party yet? I'm wondering if it works well for a longer session, as I might pull it out for some drinks with guests sometime soon.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

The thing withthe metroid, is the gamepad. Normally your holding your controller more or less horizontal. A control stick for a plane or helocopter is horizontal, so whenever or whyever it was decided that back means up is going from a horizontal surface representing a verticle change.

But the gamepad is held verticle. Its you aiming and screen and its already placed verticly so theres no confusion, forward on the analog stick is literally up in this case and you push the stick in the direction you want to go, its not ambigious like in a horizontal control stick position.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Minidust posted:

Up on the right stick raises you vertically on the z-axis

That's exactly my issue; it just feels counter-intuitive to every flight control ever.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Katana Gomai posted:

That's exactly my issue; it just feels counter-intuitive to every flight control ever.

Just play it for a few minutes and your brain will adjust.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

theflyingorc posted:

Just play it for a few minutes and your brain will adjust.

Or just playon the ground.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Blackbelt Bobman posted:

The NA Nintendo Direct is tomorrow at 9am PST/noon EST and will announce release dates for upcoming games up until like mid 2013 or something. Good, I'm glad we will finally have something to look forward to!

Please announce Luigi's Mansion release date :ohdear:

Nintendo likes to go "And ______ is available for download now" on occasion, so I hope they do that with the damned Nintendoland and Sonic patches.

Joramun
Dec 1, 2011

No man has need of candles when the Sun awaits him.

Minidust posted:

Oh man YES. This has been bugging the hell out of me. The Xbox button letters are burned in my head, and the color association has burned them in further. Now I've got Wii U Batman throwing mono-colored letter prompts at me and I keep hitting the wrong thing.

Even the general location of confirm/cancel buttons (irrespective of labels) is reversed, so I keep fudging basic UI menu commands. Yeah Nintendo has done it that way since 1991:yoshi::mario:, but the last decade or so of gaming has me expecting the down face button ("A" on Xbox, "X" on PlayStation) to select things!
IIRC, the Nintendo layout (A/confirm on the outside and B/cancel on the inside) is actually better from an ergonomic and neurological perspective, as the hand-eye coordination and movements you have to make are more natural to the brain than when it's the other way around.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Joramun posted:

IIRC, the Nintendo layout (A/confirm on the outside and B/cancel on the inside) is actually better from an ergonomic and neurological perspective, as the hand-eye coordination and movements you have to make are more natural to the brain than when it's the other way around.

I woulda think the colors or simple shapes on other consoles have stronger neurological ties.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Microsoft using the SNES letters but rearranging them is among the more boneheaded controller design decisions in recent memory.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Joramun posted:

On a personal level I agree with this. If I have my thumb resting on Sony O/Nintendo A/Microsoft B I can access the button below it with minimal movement. Depending on how close the buttons are together, I could do it y only moving the tip of my thumb, and my fingers aren't particularly large for a guy. When the confirm button is on the bottom, however, I have to make longer movement with my whole thumb from B to A.

What I liked about the SNES controller was there were basically two different ways of keeping my thumb on the controller that worked for most games. Platformers and Zelda often used Y and B for primary actions, and Mario in particular had you holding Y the whole time (Making the American indentation of those top buttons a genius change), whereas for RPGs you'd be holding B to run while tapping A. In both cases you've got constant access to the primary two buttons without even lifting up your thumb.

quote:

Microsoft using the SNES letters but rearranging them is among the more boneheaded controller design decisions in recent memory.

Eh, that damage was done when American PlayStation titles were having the X and O buttons switched in terms of confirm/cancel. And after that, the Dreamcast did the same thing.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Seaniqua posted:

There's a shortcut through area 10:

You can fall directly off of the first platform off the right and land to the right of the ending flag. You have to be just barely moving and keep your speed consistent, but once you get the hang of it you'll be able to do it in 1-2 tries. You actually do a full forward flip and land square on your wheels. I'm able to do this more consistently than doing the area the "right" way.

I think a lot of people know about that spoiler but I don't want to assume anything.

I've played through that first course a lot and this is still the only way i'm able to finish it. Have no clue how to do it any other way.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Minidust posted:

Even the general location of confirm/cancel buttons (irrespective of labels) is reversed, so I keep fudging basic UI menu commands. Yeah Nintendo has done it that way since 1991:yoshi::mario:, but the last decade or so of gaming has me expecting the down face button ("A" on Xbox, "X" on PlayStation) to select things!

The PlayStation side of this is all kinds of hosed up, because Sony America actually "localized" the confirm button when bringing it over. In Japan, the circle button is the one players use to confirm things as supposedly they circle things that are correct and cross out mistakes, so it's identical to Nintendo's face button arrangement. SCEA reversed it for the West, where you cross something you want like on a form and circle things that are incorrect like on a test, which makes no sense especially considering that the original four face buttons are designed around the number of strokes made to create them. Circle is Button 1! It takes one stroke!

It gets even more confusing when you consider that some companies refused to adapt the Japanese controls to America for a length of time. Metal Gear Solid kept circle as confirm for years in the Western releases. God help you when you import something too, it takes 5 minutes to figure out whether or not the game actually wants you to press circle when you actually have to press X because the loving confirm command is built into the system itself. So the game may accept Circle as confirm, but if you get to an OS level menu then you better loving hope you remember X is confirm there or you'll just screw up saving or something.

It kind of makes me appreciate Nintendo's style sometimes.

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
I'd kill for a gamepad with Gamecube ABXY layout on the right.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Nickoten posted:

Eh, that damage was done when American PlayStation titles were having the X and O buttons switched in terms of confirm/cancel. And after that, the Dreamcast did the same thing.

I'm talking about the letters though, not the location. To me it's not such a big deal where confirm/cancel are located; it's more that if you tell me to press Y I am going to press the leftmost button and my brain is not going to bother to check if it's an XBox controller.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Seaniqua posted:

I'd kill for a gamepad with Gamecube ABXY layout on the right.

I'd kill for a gamecube controler with a proper second analog stick and second z bumper.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Gamecube controller was brilliant, but it only worked for Cube games. It was rear end for playing emulated games or games that didn't have it in mind. Try playing Super Metroid on it. An exercise in futility.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

I'm talking about the letters though, not the location. To me it's not such a big deal where confirm/cancel are located; it's more that if you tell me to press Y I am going to press the leftmost button and my brain is not going to bother to check if it's an XBox controller.

I mean that the Xbox had the confirm button down on the bottom because that's what American PlayStations did. And of course since they went with letters, confirm was A. I mentioned the Dreamcast because it has the same button layout as the Xbox.

I mean yeah I have the same problem. I'm just saying it wasn't the Xbox that started that.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

They could have used a different set of letters/symbols, though. ABCD? 1234? Why's it gotta be the SNES letters?

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Supercar Gautier posted:

They could have used a different set of letters/symbols, though. ABCD? 1234? Why's it gotta be the SNES letters?

I dunno. QRST would be a weird button combination.:v: The Ouya's got a terrible button scheme. All different colored circles. I've got a friend who's colorblind and would have a hell of a time using it.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

ijyt posted:

Oh so that's why GAME is selling WiiU games for £45/$72.
A lot of EU retailers announced they were going to markup WiiU games "just because," actually. Well, there are several reasons given, most of which are bullshit. Zavvi is one of the few retailers not doing this, with the exception of ME3.

bluegoon
Mar 5, 2010

by Pragmatica

Chronojam posted:

A lot of EU retailers announced they were going to markup WiiU games "just because," actually. Well, there are several reasons given, most of which are bullshit. Zavvi is one of the few retailers not doing this, with the exception of ME3.

It's still loving terrible, I bought NSMBU for 52 Euros, and the Premium console cost me 390 Euros. I'm in South Africa, but the general rule applies, it seems.

EDIT: I really, really hate regional regularization, hopefully the next world war borderlines in the apocalyptic and just plummets everything into total anarchy and chaos, including the loving regional zones outlined by some loving money-Nazi committee!

bluegoon fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Dec 4, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I like the position of the playstation and xbox confirm buttons better. Why? Because MegaMan and Mario trained my thumb to always be on the bottom leftmost two buttons, y and b on Snes, to run jump and shoot. Countless other platformers as well, where I'm used to the bottom button being the action button which I press al the time to do stuff. So it drat well should be the confirm button as well.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Looks like the shop is down for maintenance. I wonder if that means anything interesting or if it's just maintenance.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Echophonic posted:

Looks like the shop is down for maintenance. I wonder if that means anything interesting or if it's just maintenance.

I doubt we're seeing any new games until the 8th.

Man the Miiverse really needs a redesign. The list thing is going to be loving terrible when there's more than a dozen games out.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Echophonic posted:

Gutted, I was just about to buy Mario.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Chernabog posted:

The miiverse community for "Family party: 30 great games" is hilarious.

You weren't kidding. First post I saw said "ACTION 52" and had a drawing of a Cheetahmen.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
I got Tekken Tag Tournament Two for the Wii U yesterday - I don't own any other consoles so it's not really like a re-release for me.

Like someone said earlier the menus are a little laggy, but it's completely meaningless and is really unlikely to cause you to dislike the game.

The best part, the most Wii U part, is that 4 of your character's special moves are displayed on your gamepad. You can press L and use your buttons to just do them on demand. I absolutely love it because some moves are a right arse for me to perform and now I can do them seamlessly.
The only issue with that is when I'm playing it with my girlfriend we're both pretty poo poo at doing moves...but only one of us can have the pad. I wish there was a way to buy and use more of them.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

I'm kinda frustrated with the TV remote settings! If I set it to TV only, when I bring up the Input menu I can manipulate the setting by just hitting up or down on the gamepad. Simple enough!

The problem is, I'm using a cable box, so I have to set it to TV and Cable Box. This means that hitting up or down on the gamepad changes the channel on the cable box, and when I bring up the Input menu on the TV, I just change channels. It's more the fault of my TV and the overall setup than the Wii U, but I wish I could do something about it. It's like I'm so close to using this neat and helpful feature, but I can't do anything about it!

it shriveled up
Jun 28, 2004

nerdbot posted:

I'm kinda frustrated with the TV remote settings! If I set it to TV only, when I bring up the Input menu I can manipulate the setting by just hitting up or down on the gamepad. Simple enough!

The problem is, I'm using a cable box, so I have to set it to TV and Cable Box. This means that hitting up or down on the gamepad changes the channel on the cable box, and when I bring up the Input menu on the TV, I just change channels. It's more the fault of my TV and the overall setup than the Wii U, but I wish I could do something about it. It's like I'm so close to using this neat and helpful feature, but I can't do anything about it!

Mine lets me change the inputs by pressing the input button until I get to my desired input.

Chernabog
Apr 16, 2007

Detective No. 27 posted:

You weren't kidding. First post I saw said "ACTION 52" and had a drawing of a Cheetahmen.

Yeah. I was particularly amused by the posts mentioning "shovel" or calling it GOTY.

The Piper
Feb 18, 2007

Step right up and greet the Mets
does anyone know if the Wii U Pro controller will work with a Windows PC when paired up through the USB cord?

The Piper fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Dec 4, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Den of Lies posted:

Mine lets me change the inputs by pressing the input button until I get to my desired input.

Mine too. For me the remote would be absolutely perfect if it just included a "My DVR" button and a record and stop button (dpad arrows can do pause, play, fast forward, and rewind for me)

Edit: and maybe an "on demand" button

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Piper posted:

does anyone know if the Wii U Pro controller with work with a Windows PC when paired up through the USB cord?

Not currently, but I'm sure someone's whipping up a custom driver like with the Sixaxis.

nerdbot
Mar 16, 2012

Den of Lies posted:

That's what I figure Nintendo expected, but my TV just turns the Input menu on and off every time I tap the Input button. Definitely more a TV thing than a problem with the remote features.

I'm still a bit frustrated with the screen cutoff, though! I can fix it on the Shop menu and in Miiverse by adjusting the screen size in the settings for those two features, but on the main menu there's very visible cutoff with the + and - buttons on the Miiverse screen, as well as with the button showing you to press X to switch between the Miiverse screen and the Wii U menu.

nerdbot fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Dec 4, 2012

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.

Long John Power posted:

Gutted, I was just about to buy Mario.

I know it sucks but whenever I see stuff like that I don't get too mad because I think of the miserable on site engineers freaking out trying to get everything working again.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Taear posted:

I got Tekken Tag Tournament Two for the Wii U yesterday - I don't own any other consoles so it's not really like a re-release for me.

Like someone said earlier the menus are a little laggy, but it's completely meaningless and is really unlikely to cause you to dislike the game.

The best part, the most Wii U part, is that 4 of your character's special moves are displayed on your gamepad. You can press L and use your buttons to just do them on demand. I absolutely love it because some moves are a right arse for me to perform and now I can do them seamlessly.
The only issue with that is when I'm playing it with my girlfriend we're both pretty poo poo at doing moves...but only one of us can have the pad. I wish there was a way to buy and use more of them.

That was me about the menus and some other small things. Just like you said it doesn't change anything about a really great fighting game. I never got it on PS3 or 360, so it is fantastic to finally play.

Just a tip, you can change which moves have shortcuts on the gamepads. However, this option is tucked away somewhere in the shopping screen where you customize your character's outfit, so it is quite hard to find.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Gendo posted:

I know it sucks but whenever I see stuff like that I don't get too mad because I think of the miserable on site engineers freaking out trying to get everything working again.

Actually, I'm pretty excited about it being "emergency maintenance". Routine maintenance can oftentimes be basically nothing, but there's a very good chance this is a fix for the freezing issue. Honestly a pretty quick turnaround time if it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rake Arms
Sep 15, 2007

It's just not the same without widescreen.

nerdbot posted:

That's what I figure Nintendo expected, but my TV just turns the Input menu on and off every time I tap the Input button. Definitely more a TV thing than a problem with the remote features.

Having genuine anxiety about this because I plan on using Wii U's smart-TV features as often as I game on it, but I have a 6 year old Dynex TV (Best Buy's house brand). My TiVo remote has the same problem (brings up the input menu, can't change inputs) I just really hope they fix as many compatibility issues as they can (or any) by the time they roll out TVii. Shouldn't it be possible to just use the Gamepad's IR port to record signal codes straight from your remote? My Dynex has an input menu, but it also has an "HDMI" button that just toggles between HDMI 1/2. If I could just program that input to the Gamepad, I would be all set, but I maybe limited to the manufacturer's lovely remote code instead.

• Locked thread