Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011
I am having a huge problem:

I cannot do Ziodyne.

I'm going through the game's tutorials, and I have to use Ziodyne. I can easily do Zio twice, and then press Triangle, but nothing happens. Every time I do Down-Down/Right-Right, Yu releases Zio without my pressing Triangle. Apparently, this is not supposed to happen, and Yu is supposed to be kind of "charging" the Ziodyne.

What I'm asking:

1. Is this a game glitch?
2. If so, does this ruin my copy of the game?
3. And if it's not a game glitch, what am I doing wrong?

I have attempted this move around ninety times now, and I'm getting too frustrated to even look at the game right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booyakasha
Jan 24, 2004
Do the motion faster and press triangle only at the same time as the last forward imput. Alternatively mash a until ziodyne comes out

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
All I can suggest is going into training mode and looking at your inputs as you do it.

apple
May 18, 2003

Jose in the club wearing orange suspenders

Magikoopa189 posted:

I am having a huge problem:

I cannot do Ziodyne.

I'm going through the game's tutorials, and I have to use Ziodyne. I can easily do Zio twice, and then press Triangle, but nothing happens. Every time I do Down-Down/Right-Right, Yu releases Zio without my pressing Triangle. Apparently, this is not supposed to happen, and Yu is supposed to be kind of "charging" the Ziodyne.

What I'm asking:

1. Is this a game glitch?
2. If so, does this ruin my copy of the game?
3. And if it's not a game glitch, what am I doing wrong?

I have attempted this move around ninety times now, and I'm getting too frustrated to even look at the game right now.

Sounds like a faulty controller, have you tried swapping it out? If you're just pressing the pad you shouldn't get Zio at all.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Gwyrgyn Blood posted:

Both normal ground versions of Teddie Screw are punishable on block, though the light one you need to IB to do so (but that's not particularly hard to do). So be careful how you use it. Not sure about the air versions though, are those better?

They do a miniscule amount more damage, have a little more startup IIRC, and I think are a little safer.

The Unholy Ghost
Feb 19, 2011

apple posted:

Sounds like a faulty controller, have you tried swapping it out? If you're just pressing the pad you shouldn't get Zio at all.

I'm starting to think so.

I was eventually able to get the attack to work by jerking the control stick as fast as possible from Down to Right, and tapping Triangle. A lot of random attacks happen, but four seconds later, I have my Ziodyne!

Problem solved, I guess.

(Why do new controllers need to be so expensive?)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Magikoopa189 posted:

I'm starting to think so.

I was eventually able to get the attack to work by jerking the control stick as fast as possible from Down to Right, and tapping Triangle. A lot of random attacks happen, but four seconds later, I have my Ziodyne!

Problem solved, I guess.

(Why do new controllers need to be so expensive?)

Are you using the analog stick? Try using the D-pad, maybe you'll have better luck. I don't know how popular the analog stick is these days for fighters, but in my day, the D-pad was always preferred. I can't pull off poo poo with the analog stick, personally.

(Although if by "control stick" you're referring to a dedicated fighting game stick, hahaha disregard that I suck cocks.)

Kp
Aug 3, 2002

Lets drill
Hey, maybe somebody who plays Chie can help me out on this one. I'm trying to play her and practice some of her combos. Can anybody tell me what the purpose of IAD into J.BB is? Is it for pressure or is it to start an actual air mix up? IAD J.BB into 5B works fine if the opponent is standing but if he's crouching then J.B completely whiffs. The only way I can get J.BB to hit on crouching opponents is if I air dash low enough to the ground. That's honestly fine with me but when then I keep coming across posts and videos that tell me to use Chie's IAD J.BB as a mix up (of course, the video has the dummy standing instead of crouching in training mode). Am I missing something here? How can it be an actual mix up if IAD J.BB completely whiffs a crouching opponent? Or should I just go ahead and ignore those posts?

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!
Is there any point at all in charging Kanji's moves? Are they just fake outs? I've used them a few times to trick people into a back jump, but other than the air one, I don't see the point of the charging.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zetta_Slow posted:

Is there any point at all in charging Kanji's moves? Are they just fake outs? I've used them a few times to trick people into a back jump, but other than the air one, I don't see the point of the charging.

They don't get extra properties from charging, if that's what you mean.

Also ggs jmcrofts. Was that your first game ever as teddie because somehow I feel like I was getting the ol sandbag for a while there

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Also ggs jmcrofts. Was that your first game ever as teddie because somehow I feel like I was getting the ol sandbag for a while there

GGs, sorry you had to play my crappy Teddie. It wasn't my very first time with him, but I've only picked him up recently. I'm tired of fighting Mitsuru and Liz as Kanji -_-

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
It's fine, no worries. During our kanji matches I'd notice you beating my 2B with jC and then for the next match remember not to 2B, and then completely forget by the match after that. Whoops.

Spinning Robo
Apr 17, 2007

Countblanc posted:

They don't get extra properties from charging, if that's what you mean.

Don't they get FC property if you release it at the last possible frame?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

It's fine, no worries. During our kanji matches I'd notice you beating my 2B with jC and then for the next match remember not to 2B, and then completely forget by the match after that. Whoops.

The best way to deal with Kanjis fishing for 2b with jC is just to go up in the air after him. A lot of characters can get a counterhit AA which combos into good damage. Your kanji is pretty good but you need to air tackle less (and I need to fall for it less :sweatdrop:)

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Jmcrofts posted:

The best way to deal with Kanjis fishing for 2b with jC is just to go up in the air after him. A lot of characters can get a counterhit AA which combos into good damage. Your kanji is pretty good but you need to air tackle less (and I need to fall for it less :sweatdrop:)

Yeah I know, I'll have good streaks where I only use it with proper traps, but then I get beaten once or twice and my mind goes to poo poo and suddenly I'm using it every time I jump and getting blown up for it. Is there an easy way out of that delayed Cruel Attack into command grab other than not teching? I tried DPing and using the D grab and both got beaten.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

Yeah I know, I'll have good streaks where I only use it with proper traps, but then I get beaten once or twice and my mind goes to poo poo and suddenly I'm using it every time I jump and getting blown up for it. Is there an easy way out of that delayed Cruel Attack into command grab other than not teching? I tried DPing and using the D grab and both got beaten.

DP or just jumping should work. D grab isn't 1st frame invincible so properly timed meaties will still beat it. It's really awkward timing because you're not used to getting up so fast vs kanji.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Shut up! If you try to stop me, my fists will visit you on four different points on your median plane!

Countblanc posted:

THIS. I always go to poo poo when I get beaten and end up spamming my furious or the air grab. I'm also having problems linking the air combos. I may just give up and use all outs into D and the 2B it, if that works...
Also, I don't understand what a DP in this game is. Isn't that the shoryuken command? Or am I just really confused?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zetta_Slow posted:

THIS. I always go to poo poo when I get beaten and end up spamming my furious or the air grab. I'm also having problems linking the air combos. I may just give up and use all outs into D and the 2B it, if that works...
Also, I don't understand what a DP in this game is. Isn't that the shoryuken command? Or am I just really confused?

People generally use it to mean your furious action, since they're often DP-esque (Yu's being the most obvious, but they're generally at least partially invincible or just general "get out free" high risk options).

Mr. Fun
Sep 22, 2006

ABSOLUTE KINOGRAPHY
GGs crofts, I had to run off to check on something I was cooking a bunch of times and it seemed like you had politely moved to the other side of the screen and waited for me every time. What a nice guy.

I have only ever played a couple of Teddies before and it seems like I can't punish him using items(and they come out even if he gets hit?) and I pretty much just have to suck his dick if he uses the bat?

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Countblanc posted:

People generally use it to mean your furious action, since they're often DP-esque (Yu's being the most obvious, but they're generally at least partially invincible or just general "get out free" high risk options).

Ah, thanks, I was under the assumption that it was Furious, but I sort of doubted myself.

Modular Horse Bits
Nov 17, 2012
Just started playing this yesterday, and I'm 25% of the way through story mode. The willful disregard for continuity between different characters' arcs is a tad brain-hurty.

Also, it's jarring enough that Yu Narukami is voiced, but why did they use the same actor as frigging Adachi? My ex kept rereading all his lines in Creepy Raper Guy voice.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
because in the original game narukami didn't say anything besides yelling persona and a bunch of names they got adachis voiceactor to do his lines

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Modular Horse Bits posted:

Also, it's jarring enough that Yu Narukami is voiced, but why did they use the same actor as frigging Adachi? My ex kept rereading all his lines in Creepy Raper Guy voice.

JYB voiced him in Persona 4 proper, but he didn't do much but yell Persona names in that so you didn't notice (Yuri Lowenthall voiced the P3 MC as well as Ryoji, Pharos and Yosuke, you can hear it with them sometimes).

Even then, it's not as bad here because yes, his voice is shared with Adachi, but Adachi isn't in this game. It gets bad in the anime...

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

If you look at the original Japanese voice cast, the same actor there did the voice for both characters too, and with some of the stuff that happens in the end game, I think it's completely intentional.

Latte Lottie
Oct 6, 2011

Getting 1st place is impossible...

Kp posted:

Hey, maybe somebody who plays Chie can help me out on this one. I'm trying to play her and practice some of her combos. Can anybody tell me what the purpose of IAD into J.BB is? Is it for pressure or is it to start an actual air mix up? IAD J.BB into 5B works fine if the opponent is standing but if he's crouching then J.B completely whiffs. The only way I can get J.BB to hit on crouching opponents is if I air dash low enough to the ground. That's honestly fine with me but when then I keep coming across posts and videos that tell me to use Chie's IAD J.BB as a mix up (of course, the video has the dummy standing instead of crouching in training mode). Am I missing something here? How can it be an actual mix up if IAD J.BB completely whiffs a crouching opponent? Or should I just go ahead and ignore those posts?

edit: Wow this whole post was so wrong. I can't see the whole point of J.BB, you only need to kick them once to get in to start your mix ups assuming they guard. If they are crouching they are usually in the corner and I'll just normal jump, occasionally dashing into them to try to take them by surprise. Sorry I can't be more help, but I only J.BB if I have them in the air. IAD works better for standing opponents, this is probably why the dummy was on standing. Get your IAD on, get the one kick in and then confuse them with 2B/B because they will be expecting a trip(or just go right into a trip).

Latte Lottie fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Dec 4, 2012

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Wait, does Kanji have any options on his all out attack with D? Or is only the air C command grab combo it?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Zetta_Slow posted:

Wait, does Kanji have any options on his all out attack with D? Or is only the air C command grab combo it?

The Practical Kanji Combo vid on youtube has one option.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Countblanc posted:

The Practical Kanji Combo vid on youtube has one option.

Wonderful! Thanks.

I've found myself in the training room way more often too, thanks to that video. I already have seen it a few times, but I can't believe I just never noticed the AoA D.

Kanji can just have such a high output at sometimes, and now I see so many options open up post air command grab. Still need to work a tad on my blocking and defense.

edit:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FC95lJi7YtY
Some gameplay, the first two were awhile back, and the second two were more recent. Feel free to critique the gameplay, and I'll have to work on the video quality too, way too saturated.

Zetta_Slow fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 5, 2012

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011
This is how I win with Chie
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/36259099/p4ubatman.jpg

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

I just had the most awkward ranked match I've ever played. I was fighting an Aigis who was pretty good and we were down to the final round, when she decided to gatling the remaining 70 or so bullets she had left out of the blue. So I just kinda shoved her in a corner and finished the round without getting touched again. v:v:v

It's amazing how much better I've gotten at this since I started. Even though I might only win one out of every four matches I play or so, I'm actually having a ton of fun and when I lose I'm understanding why. My favorite match so far was when I played against this ultra aggressive Naoto who constantly got in my face, then halfway through the match I remembered I could quick escape and just did that and grabbed him every time he tried again. After the first few times he just didn't know what to do anymore and kinda fell apart.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Wrist Watch posted:

I just had the most awkward ranked match I've ever played. I was fighting an Aigis who was pretty good and we were down to the final round, when she decided to gatling the remaining 70 or so bullets she had left out of the blue. So I just kinda shoved her in a corner and finished the round without getting touched again. v:v:v

It's amazing how much better I've gotten at this since I started. Even though I might only win one out of every four matches I play or so, I'm actually having a ton of fun and when I lose I'm understanding why. My favorite match so far was when I played against this ultra aggressive Naoto who constantly got in my face, then halfway through the match I remembered I could quick escape and just did that and grabbed him every time he tried again. After the first few times he just didn't know what to do anymore and kinda fell apart.

Playing as Kanji?

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

Chie. :getin: She's really fun in that I don't have to worry about too much, just get in people's faces and give them a nice warm welcome to my feet. Kanji's next on the list of characters I really like and want to learn though, right after Yosuke. I want to do is his air to ground grab forever. I love that thing.

One day I will figure out how to approach Mitsuru. I routinely got my rear end handed to me if they had the slightest idea what they were doing.

Wrist Watch fucked around with this message at 06:45 on Dec 6, 2012

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

The general formula for Mitsuru I have learned is this.
>Did she hit you with a corner combo? OH gently caress BURST
>Is she on the ground? OH gently caress BLOCK LOW
>Is she in the air? OH gently caress BLOCK HIGH
>Pauses during combo? OH gently caress ALL OUT ATTACK BLOCK HIGH
And never get near her on wakeup when she has meter, you really don't want to get hit by Bufudyne or a DP. Just try to trick them into it sometimes. Also, her DP is pretty much a guaranteed safe move, if you're going to get hit, just block it, any back steps will wreck your life.

I'm always on edge when I play Mitsuru, because a good friend plays her, and it feels like my life mission to beat them down if I find one in ranked.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Zetta_Slow posted:

The general formula for Mitsuru I have learned is this.
>Did she hit you with a corner combo? OH gently caress BURST
>Is she on the ground? OH gently caress BLOCK LOW
>Is she in the air? OH gently caress BLOCK HIGH
>Pauses during combo? OH gently caress ALL OUT ATTACK BLOCK HIGH
And never get near her on wakeup when she has meter, you really don't want to get hit by Bufudyne or a DP. Just try to trick them into it sometimes. Also, her DP is pretty much a guaranteed safe move, if you're going to get hit, just block it, any back steps will wreck your life.

I'm always on edge when I play Mitsuru, because a good friend plays her, and it feels like my life mission to beat them down if I find one in ranked.

This is actually all sorts of wrongs.
Burst if you get hit by her charged B fatal counter, those combos hurt the most. Don't be afraid to use meter to get out of the corner, especially when she has meter. Her instant j.b and throws midscreen are nothing to be afraid of as long as she doesn't have meter. If you have any moves that go under her 5a / droid, use them a lot but be careful for charged B as it has lower body invulnerability. Also mitsuru all out attack isn't good at all, decent mitsuru's dont use it at all. She doesn't have much reason to. Instant blocking droid -> microdash 2a is usually a good way out of her pressure.

As for her DP, no it is not guaranteed safe move. If you do microdash 5a (or any other move fast enough) before she lands, she can't cancel it to anything, it's guaranteed damage. Also most characters can do block -> instantkill and it's guaranteed, whether she cancels it into super or not.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Doyagao posted:

This is actually all sorts of wrongs.
Burst if you get hit by her charged B fatal counter, those combos hurt the most. Don't be afraid to use meter to get out of the corner, especially when she has meter. Her instant j.b and throws midscreen are nothing to be afraid of as long as she doesn't have meter. If you have any moves that go under her 5a / droid, use them a lot but be careful for charged B as it has lower body invulnerability. Also mitsuru all out attack isn't good at all, decent mitsuru's dont use it at all. She doesn't have much reason to. Instant blocking droid -> microdash 2a is usually a good way out of her pressure.

As for her DP, no it is not guaranteed safe move. If you do microdash 5a (or any other move fast enough) before she lands, she can't cancel it to anything, it's guaranteed damage. Also most characters can do block -> instantkill and it's guaranteed, whether she cancels it into super or not.

I've only play really good Mitts that can use the B fatal counter, and ones that can just wreak havoc if you are in the corner. Being in the corner against her is just not a good thing. Typically the mindset of some players is to throw in a random AoA, just to open you up and try to get you to change your mindset. The DP puts you into blockstun just long enough for her to recover into a super, or gain her footing again. It's really a matchup where you need experience, and it's a horrible matchup for Kanji players.

Doyagao
Nov 9, 2011

Zetta_Slow posted:

I've only play really good Mitts that can use the B fatal counter, and ones that can just wreak havoc if you are in the corner. Being in the corner against her is just not a good thing. Typically the mindset of some players is to throw in a random AoA, just to open you up and try to get you to change your mindset. The DP puts you into blockstun just long enough for her to recover into a super, or gain her footing again. It's really a matchup where you need experience, and it's a horrible matchup for Kanji players.

wrong, kanji dash 5A is 6frame startup, you have plenty of time to hit mitsuru with it before she lands. You can hit her airborne with moves that have up to 9f startup iirc.
Mitsuru AoA is very slow (34 frames) so you can block it on reaction easily. She can go for 2dan overhead by cancelling it, but that's a dumb gimmick rather than a solid mixup.

Her basic mixups in the corner are frametraps, sweep / feint into throw or instant j.b. She gets very little damage off j.b without meter, but once she has that meter yes she's really scary in the corner.

Zetta_Slow
Oct 20, 2012

Doyagao posted:

wrong, kanji dash 5A is 6frame startup, you have plenty of time to hit mitsuru with it before she lands. You can hit her airborne with moves that have up to 9f startup iirc.
Mitsuru AoA is very slow (34 frames) so you can block it on reaction easily. She can go for 2dan overhead by cancelling it, but that's a dumb gimmick rather than a solid mixup.

Her basic mixups in the corner are frametraps, sweep / feint into throw or instant j.b. She gets very little damage off j.b without meter, but once she has that meter yes she's really scary in the corner.

I'll definitely check that out later then, I was pretty sure that if it hit me I would just have to take it and deal with it. Never really bothered getting into frame data much, and I probably should.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Noticed this is $40 now on Xbox Live, so impulse bought it. I need a new fighting game anyways.

Mumblyfish
Jul 22, 2007
Senselessly gorgeous.
I picked this up a couple of days ago - it's actually the first fighting game I've ever owned. Baby's first fighting game! I've been told that I could have picked something more beginner-friendly, but I'm a sucker for Persona 4.

I've played a few dozen rounds online and been beaten into the dirt so badly that I can't even see what I'm doing wrong. I guess the game is old enough now that there won't be any other rank beginners to go up against.

Is there some kind of basic competency I should aim for in the single-player content before braving online? Right now I'm learning nothing from having my poo poo pushed in.

Oh, and Original Character Do Not Steal is the worst. Holy Hell. You're god damned right I get a trophy for sitting through Labrys's story. The story mode endings that I've seen so far hint that we'll see a continuation of P4A's story in the future, but I sure loving hope not. I did like Chie and Kanji's Goofus paths, which owned and were exactly what I wanted out of a Persona spin-off.

...Man, dreams are amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mumblyfish posted:

I picked this up a couple of days ago - it's actually the first fighting game I've ever owned. Baby's first fighting game! I've been told that I could have picked something more beginner-friendly, but I'm a sucker for Persona 4.

I've played a few dozen rounds online and been beaten into the dirt so badly that I can't even see what I'm doing wrong. I guess the game is old enough now that there won't be any other rank beginners to go up against.

Is there some kind of basic competency I should aim for in the single-player content before braving online? Right now I'm learning nothing from having my poo poo pushed in.

Oh, and Original Character Do Not Steal is the worst. Holy Hell. You're god damned right I get a trophy for sitting through Labrys's story. The story mode endings that I've seen so far hint that we'll see a continuation of P4A's story in the future, but I sure loving hope not. I did like Chie and Kanji's Goofus paths, which owned and were exactly what I wanted out of a Persona spin-off.

...Man, dreams are amazing.

Would you rather it be another character, Mumblyfish

Would you rather it be Metis

• Locked thread