Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor w-rw-rw-
Jun 24, 2008

asaf posted:

Looking for a distribution to use on a VM to get back into coding... Last time I did this I used Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but with the changes I've been hearing about Ubuntu and all the crap that seems to come loaded on it in the latest LTS release, I'm wondering if I would be better served by something like Mint. I used to use Linux as my primary about three years ago, and back then I was into Arch, but using Arch on a VM strictly cause I prefer coding in a *nix environment instead of Windows seems like it would waste a lot of time. Distribution suggestions, anyone?

EDIT: Hmm, Xubuntu looks somewhat pleasant, I'll give that and Mint a run.
E2: or poo poo, maybe I'll just do Arch + ssh + sublime editor
E3: Too much effort; the install procedure's changed and I want to code, not sysadmin.

Yes, indeed. Xubuntu should serve your purposes well. X11 on arch is a pain in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Just ssh in and use vim. A remarkably large number of developers work that way. Ubuntu will have sshd and vim easily available.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

This is actually a bsd question but I think it might be general enough to work here. I'm trying to install xorg on freebsd using ports and near the end of the install process I hit scroll lock, freezing the screen. I hit it again and it sent me to the login prompt. I don't know if scroll lock did anything, but the xorg command is not found and I'm not sure if it installed properly. I tried installing another program from ports and nothing strange happened during install and it doesn't seem to work either. If I try ps it lists the make install clean command as idle.

As you can probably tell I decided to start loving around in BSD and Linux for fun, so feel free to laugh at me, but please help. How am I supposed to start X?

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 2, 2012

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

icantfindaname posted:

This is actually a bsd question but I think it might be general enough to work here. I'm trying to install xorg on freebsd using ports and near the end of the install process I hit scroll lock, freezing the screen. I hit it again and it sent me to the login prompt. I don't know if scroll lock did anything, but the xorg command is not found and I'm not sure if it installed properly. I tried installing another program from ports and nothing strange happened during install and it doesn't seem to work either. If I try ps it lists the make install clean command as idle. The ports tree file for

As you can probably tell I decided to start loving around in BSD and Linux for fun, so feel free to laugh at me, but please help. How am I supposed to start X?

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2798970 :)

Scroll lock lets you scroll around the terminal to read what has scrolled past the terminal's view. I'd say you switched consoles, so press alt + f1/f2/f3/... until you find the terminal that was in use. If you are using csh, you might have to type rehash before startx. Also it's worth noting that the default .xinitrc will start twm with xclock and xterm, so make sure you are going to build at least twm if you are going to test xorg without installing a wm (you should have configured this in the xorg-apps dialog while installing xorg).

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

hifi posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2798970 :)

Scroll lock lets you scroll around the terminal to read what has scrolled past the terminal's view. I'd say you switched consoles, so press alt + f1/f2/f3/... until you find the terminal that was in use. If you are using csh, you might have to type rehash before startx. Also it's worth noting that the default .xinitrc will start twm with xclock and xterm, so make sure you are going to build at least twm if you are going to test xorg without installing a wm (you should have configured this in the xorg-apps dialog while installing xorg).

Thanks, that fixed it. It had sent me to a new console.

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
oh poo poo... how do I troubleshoot this?

fstab
/dev/sdb /mnt/Media btrfs noatime,device=/dev/sdb,device=/dev/sdc,device=/dev/sdd,subvol=Media,auto 0 0
/dev/sdb /mnt/Shares btrfs noatime,device=/dev/sdb,device=/dev/sdc,device=/dev/sdd,subvol=Shares,auto 0 0
/dev/sdb /mnt/Stuff btrfs noatime,device=/dev/sdb,device=/dev/sdc,device=/dev/sdd,subvol=Stuff,auto 0 0

http://pastebin.com/7Y7UhfjE

root@gnubox:/mnt# mount -a
mount: /dev/sdb is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: cannot mount /dev/sdb read-only

This has always worked fine in the past. I rebooted earlier today for an unrelated reason and just this evening realized that none of them were mounted.

smartctl thinks they are ok :(. I know they are old. I have backups.
http://pastebin.com/38uUKGbd

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Kaluza-Klein posted:

oh poo poo... how do I troubleshoot this?

fstab
/dev/sdb /mnt/Media btrfs noatime,device=/dev/sdb,device=/dev/sdc,device=/dev/sdd,subvol=Media,auto 0 0
/dev/sdb /mnt/Shares btrfs noatime,device=/dev/sdb,device=/dev/sdc,device=/dev/sdd,subvol=Shares,auto 0 0
/dev/sdb /mnt/Stuff btrfs noatime,device=/dev/sdb,device=/dev/sdc,device=/dev/sdd,subvol=Stuff,auto 0 0

http://pastebin.com/7Y7UhfjE

root@gnubox:/mnt# mount -a

This has always worked fine in the past. I rebooted earlier today for an unrelated reason and just this evening realized that none of them were mounted.

smartctl thinks they are ok :(. I know they are old. I have backups.
http://pastebin.com/38uUKGbd

To do any kind of fs troubleshooting you really need to provide things like dmesg outputs, kernel versions, what a cursory fsck says, sysrq w, etc. That should probably be added to the OP or something.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Yes at the very least check dmesg, it will have the error the fs driver came up with.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

u deserve diploma for sublime comedy expertise
Does anyone have any experience putting Linux on previously Android (ARM) devices? Is it possible beyond the runs-as-an-app I've been hearing about?

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Saint Darwin posted:

Does anyone have any experience putting Linux on previously Android (ARM) devices? Is it possible beyond the runs-as-an-app I've been hearing about?

I have a trim slice which is a tiny form factor all in one running arm v7. Ubuntu is easiest to get going, there's archlinux and several other options. However, what you can run will depend on your device and what arm version.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

asaf posted:

Looking for a distribution to use on a VM to get back into coding... Last time I did this I used Ubuntu 10.04 LTS, but with the changes I've been hearing about Ubuntu and all the crap that seems to come loaded on it in the latest LTS release, I'm wondering if I would be better served by something like Mint. I used to use Linux as my primary about three years ago, and back then I was into Arch, but using Arch on a VM strictly cause I prefer coding in a *nix environment instead of Windows seems like it would waste a lot of time. Distribution suggestions, anyone?

E3: Too much effort; the install procedure's changed and I want to code, not sysadmin.

I switched from Ubuntu to Mint after Unity came out and I never looked back. I do a lot of web development with Gedit, Netbeans IDE, Apache/PHP/MySQL. Mint works wonderfully. I'm sure most distros will work just as well, but I can wholeheartedly vouch for Mint. It just works exactly as you expect it to.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

asaf posted:

CentOS/Fedora should be fine - What are you trying to code with? You should be able to find a step-by-step 'get Ruby on Rails/LAMP/whatever running' for almost any distro.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ratzap posted:

I have a trim slice which is a tiny form factor all in one running arm v7. Ubuntu is easiest to get going, there's archlinux and several other options. However, what you can run will depend on your device and what arm version.

It's going to be one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H3B736/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

One person in the reviews says that it can do Ubuntu but didn't elaborate. I would hope that since it's generic enough it shouldn't have much of a problem, I just don't know where to start. I haven't installed Linux on anything but VMs and x86-based computers, so an ARM-based mini-computer seems daunting (but it probably isn't that hard, I know).

asaf posted:

Hey now, calm down, you're probably overthinking things. I don't see a problem with any of those. At work I code in RHEL6, at home I use Mint. I like Mint because it's more of a "desktop" feel that I could easily install on laptops and VMs and then the only things I had to add on were coding and testing related packages.

Adult Sword Owner fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Dec 4, 2012

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Saint Darwin posted:

It's going to be one of these

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H3B736/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00

One person in the reviews says that it can do Ubuntu but didn't elaborate. I would hope that since it's generic enough it shouldn't have much of a problem, I just don't know where to start. I haven't installed Linux on anything but VMs and x86-based computers, so an ARM-based mini-computer seems daunting (but it probably isn't that hard, I know).

Looks interesting. Skim through http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11 and you might find someone who's done it already. Looks like someone was trying a cortex core in a tablet mid year so they may well be along by now.

I'd guess that android pc shows up as a usb drive in order to get your bootable image in place or something. Good luck anyway and do keep up posted how you get on.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Ratzap posted:

Looks interesting. Skim through http://archlinuxarm.org/forum/viewforum.php?f=11 and you might find someone who's done it already. Looks like someone was trying a cortex core in a tablet mid year so they may well be along by now.

I'd guess that android pc shows up as a usb drive in order to get your bootable image in place or something. Good luck anyway and do keep up posted how you get on.

Looking around, apparently someone suggested this can work

https://www.miniand.com/forums/forums/2/topics/1

It's obviously built for a different piece of plastic, but I can't imagine it would be vastly different. Worth a try I suppose.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.
I am trying to save user input as a variable in a Perl script. I already have this part down. The part I need help with is when the input has characters that require escaping. How do I handle this?

This is how I currently have it acquiring the data:

print "Question: ";
my $variable = <>;
chomp( $variable );

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Crush posted:

I am trying to save user input as a variable in a Perl script. I already have this part down. The part I need help with is when the input has characters that require escaping. How do I handle this?

This is how I currently have it acquiring the data:

print "Question: ";
my $variable = <>;
chomp( $variable );

This really depends on things such as which characters you want to escape. A regex could work if you're inputs aren't too crazy but there are also libraries/modules dedicated to this kind of thing. You should really be asking this in a programming thread (there is even one dedicated to perl) and not the general linux thread.

Crush
Jan 18, 2004
jot bought me this account, I now have to suck him off.

Longinus00 posted:

You should really be asking this in a programming thread (there is even one dedicated to perl) and not the general linux thread.

Will do, thanks!

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then
I've yet to determine the final cause (cable or HBA) but after swapping the 7 year old PSU and case (better cooling) the last thing I tried was putting the drive that kept dropping out of my array onto a port on the mobo, and bingo, no more drops.
Secured the important data and added one of the 2 spares.

Its rebuilding now with a 4th drive. I'll verify the data with BTRFS's tools when thats done, then determine if its the cable or HBA that caused the drops, and finally re-add the 5th drive. An interesting experience. :(

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.
I'm not sure if this is the right thread for this or not.

Are their any recommended books on Linux admin? Preferably from a web server point of view. So things like web site configuration in Apache or Nginx, log management, troubleshooting setups, tuning and troubleshooting server performance, etc.

I deal mostly with a Windows Server environment so looking to get some experience in the Linux side of things.

I appreciate any help. Thanks!

Dixon Cider
Oct 21, 2008
I bought the Ubuntu Server 11.10 version of this book:

http://www.amazon.com/Ubuntu-12-04-Server-Administration-ebook/dp/B008EEARHU/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1354738038&sr=8-5&keywords=ubuntu+server

I found it to be generally helpful for the basic setup of all of the various services you sound like you are looking for (web servers) but I will say that I don't feel it went into a lot of depth, just covered a lot of things broadly so that I knew what I was looking for.

In general, I would say if you start with a book like this and combine with some good google skills then you'll be able to do anything you are looking to do.

Also, Ars Technica is 3 parts into a really good series about standing up a web server running Nginx including SSL and PHP configuration. I'm not sure how far they are going to keep going with it, but I've found it very useful so far:

Ars - Part One

Ars - Part Two

Ars - Part Three .

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

robbob posted:

Are their any recommended books on Linux admin? Preferably from a web server point of view. So things like web site configuration in Apache or Nginx, log management, troubleshooting setups, tuning and troubleshooting server performance, etc.

I deal mostly with a Windows Server environment so looking to get some experience in the Linux side of things.

The CentOS deployment guide. RHEL deployment guide. RHCE, RHCSA, etc guides. Ubuntu is fine, but CentOS/RHEL are much bigger in the "enterprise" realm.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

robbob posted:

For General Linux stuff I'd get one of Mark G. Sobbell's books:

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=a9_sc_1?rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Asobell+linux&keywords=sobell+linux&ie=UTF8&qid=1354739057

For Apache-specific stuff, check out specific books. Most of the stuff can be found online, though.

http://www.amazon.com/Apache-Cookbook-ebook/dp/B0028N4WI8/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1354738942&sr=1-1&keywords=Apache

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

evol262 posted:

The CentOS deployment guide. RHEL deployment guide. RHCE, RHCSA, etc guides. Ubuntu is fine, but CentOS/RHEL are much bigger in the "enterprise" realm.

That's what we use (RHEL), but I read a lot of blogs from 'Internet Company X' and it seems like I see Ubuntu/Debian mentioned more.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

IMHO if you want to be an effective linux admin you need to know both redhat and debian based systems.

And with that you know pretty much everything you need to know because who the gently caress runs gentoo anymore.

e: You could delve into FreeBSD or Solaris to cover all your bases.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

Along those lines, is getting "REDHAT CERTIFIED" worth it if I'm looking to move into sysadmin-type jobs? I was looking through a magically procured studyguide for the test and I'd say I know more than half of it already, and the stuff I don't know is for the most part just a deeper use of stuff I was using already.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Saint Darwin posted:

Along those lines, is getting "REDHAT CERTIFIED" worth it if I'm looking to move into sysadmin-type jobs? I was looking through a magically procured studyguide for the test and I'd say I know more than half of it already, and the stuff I don't know is for the most part just a deeper use of stuff I was using already.

Do it if you can do it for free/almost free.

I could do LPI for €90 at FOSDEM last year, I ended up not going due to circumstances but that would be well worth it.

But paying several thousand to get certified? Nah.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Saint Darwin posted:

Is your area littered with job ads requiring Redhat certs? Then get it.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Saint Darwin posted:

It doesn't cost that much, especially if you're not going through training. It's certainly an edge up in some fields.

Adult Sword Owner
Jun 19, 2011

I don't think I've seen a job specifically ask for it, but I do want to do sysadmin work but my experience consists of "messing around with it on a few machines at home, doing some very basic stuff in college, and supporting individual machines at work even though that's not my official job description"

I just want to show I know what the hell I'm doing and to stand out a little? I assume it's really the reasons I haven't gotten call-backs since that experience looks a bit lame.

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

Saint Darwin posted:

I don't think I've seen a job specifically ask for it, but I do want to do sysadmin work but my experience consists of "messing around with it on a few machines at home, doing some very basic stuff in college, and supporting individual machines at work even though that's not my official job description"

I just want to show I know what the hell I'm doing and to stand out a little? I assume it's really the reasons I haven't gotten call-backs since that experience looks a bit lame.

Your description pretty much sounds like "I want to be a sysadmin, but I'm not experienced enough, and I keep applying to sysadmin jobs." To be honest, Linux isn't uncommon enough that I need to hire some shade-tree guy who's never touched a production system, doesn't know how to script, can't configure a webserver, etc. You need to look lower, at junior admin, operations, etc, and work your way up when you have the experience. It's unlikely that you're going to win out over a guy who has even six months of solid experience working on the command line.

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.
Thanks for all the quick responses! I've got a lot of information to look through now. I have messed around with Ubuntu but I will definitely give CentOS a try. Mainly been a Windows admin so trying to bring my Linux skills up to par.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

robbob posted:

Thanks for all the quick responses! I've got a lot of information to look through now. I have messed around with Ubuntu but I will definitely give CentOS a try. Mainly been a Windows admin so trying to bring my Linux skills up to par.

The big complaint about CentOS is '_____ isn't included' or '______ is really out of date'

Which is fine if you want a stable box for production but kinda stinks if you're doing cutting-edge stuff and don't want to search for repos or build your own poo poo.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I apologize if this has been asked before but I'm looking to brush up on Linux as a side fun project and need to know where to start. I've used Ubuntu in the past but I'd like to really understand it rather than just get my hand held through the whole process of using the software. Is Gentoo a good starting spot? It'll be a VM so no real hassle of losing anything.

hifi
Jul 25, 2012

Irritated Goat posted:

I apologize if this has been asked before but I'm looking to brush up on Linux as a side fun project and need to know where to start. I've used Ubuntu in the past but I'd like to really understand it rather than just get my hand held through the whole process of using the software. Is Gentoo a good starting spot? It'll be a VM so no real hassle of losing anything.

To learn what about linux exactly? You can spend hours installing a Gentoo system and not learn much beyond how to read their documentation. If you want to learn about large linux-targeted software packages like a webserver, it's a much better idea to use an OS that you will be comfortable with, and won't have to work around. However, if you really want to compile stuff, there's also LFS.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

hifi posted:

To learn what about linux exactly? You can spend hours installing a Gentoo system and not learn much beyond how to read their documentation. If you want to learn about large linux-targeted software packages like a webserver, it's a much better idea to use an OS that you will be comfortable with, and won't have to work around. However, if you really want to compile stuff, there's also LFS.

General use and maybe some future IT use like maintaining servers and the like

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Well, uh, that's still very broad. The desktop and server case are very different in terms of how they're put together and how you should administer them, so something more specific that "general use" would be helpful.

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.

Suspicious Dish posted:

Well, uh, that's still very broad. The desktop and server case are very different in terms of how they're put together and how you should administer them, so something more specific that "general use" would be helpful.

I really should think out a better way of describing what I need. Just ignore me for now until I figure that out

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ

Longinus00 posted:

To do any kind of fs troubleshooting you really need to provide things like dmesg outputs, kernel versions, what a cursory fsck says, sysrq w, etc. That should probably be added to the OP or something.

spankmeister posted:

Yes at the very least check dmesg, it will have the error the fs driver came up with.

The first pastebin link was the only thing in /var/log/messages that seemed relevant. I thought (oops) that everything in the kernel ring buffer (dmesg) ended up in /var/log/messages...

Anyway, I did a btrfsck and it produced quite a bit of output: http://sprunge.us/QjQR

I then tried mounting again and it still didn't work, and mounting with 'recovery' and read-only options got no further.

THEN I noticed that certain SELinux errors in dmesg had not made it to /var/log/messages ...
[124408.867890] SELinux: initialized (dev sdd, type btrfs), uses xattr
[124412.558657] SELinux: initialized (dev sdd, type btrfs), uses xattr
[124438.541849] SELinux: initialized (dev sdd, type btrfs), uses xattr

etc etc...

So setenforce 0 and everything mounted perfectly fine :eng99:

And I am using F18 beta 3.6.7-5.fc18.x86_64, sorry I forgot to mention that, too.

edit:
http://sprunge.us/beIj
This is what happens when I try to mount in enforcing mode. It mounts just fine in permissive. That transid increased by 4 every time I make an attempt. 2 for the first half, and 2 for when it retries in read only mode. If that means anything...

edit edit: Audit log http://sprunge.us/XPXE

other people fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Longinus00
Dec 29, 2005
Ur-Quan

Kaluza-Klein posted:

The first pastebin link was the only thing in /var/log/messages that seemed relevant. I thought (oops) that everything in the kernel ring buffer (dmesg) ended up in /var/log/messages...

Anyway, I did a btrfsck and it produced quite a bit of output: http://sprunge.us/QjQR

I then tried mounting again and it still didn't work, and mounting with 'recovery' and read-only options got no further.

THEN I noticed that certain SELinux errors in dmesg had not made it to /var/log/messages ...
[124408.867890] SELinux: initialized (dev sdd, type btrfs), uses xattr
[124412.558657] SELinux: initialized (dev sdd, type btrfs), uses xattr
[124438.541849] SELinux: initialized (dev sdd, type btrfs), uses xattr

etc etc...

So setenforce 0 and everything mounted perfectly fine :eng99:

And I am using F18 beta 3.6.7-5.fc18.x86_64, sorry I forgot to mention that, too.

edit:
http://sprunge.us/beIj
This is what happens when I try to mount in enforcing mode. It mounts just fine in permissive. That transid increased by 4 every time I make an attempt. 2 for the first half, and 2 for when it retries in read only mode. If that means anything...

edit edit: Audit log http://sprunge.us/XPXE

I can't help help you with selinux but I can tell you that you've mixed up /var/log/messages and dmesg in your pastebin. You also shouldn't need to specify the devices when mounting multi device btrfs volumes. The recommended way to do it is to make sure btrfs scan is run some time before hand. In your case this should all be automated in initramfs. Here's my fstab for mounting a 3 volume btrfs device.
code:
UUID=03b5ef4f-3f65-4c2a-864f-bbddaf48df76 /mnt/btrfs-raid btrfs   defaults          0       0
code:
$ sudo btrfs fi show
Label: none  uuid: 03b5ef4f-3f65-4c2a-864f-bbddaf48df76
        Total devices 3 FS bytes used 1.47TB
        devid    2 size 1.82TB used 1.33TB path /dev/sdc
        devid    1 size 1.82TB used 1.33TB path /dev/sdb
        devid    3 size 1.82TB used 1.33TB path /dev/sda

Btrfs Btrfs v0.19