Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I added the hotkey info the game never tells you about to the OP. For those who are unaware:

F1-F5 open up the various skill and crafting menus, and F9/F11 quicksave/load.

NESguerilla posted:

Is there any way to manually turn on the flashlight? I hate that it only seems I can use it in caves.

None.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Would you suggest a 660 twin frozr over a 660ti? The store nearby only has the former.

No, the Ti version is always superior. EDIT: The Ti performs better with anisotropic filtering, but the 660 is far superior to my 560 Ti and whatever video card you currently have, so you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

http://www.hwcompare.com/13296/geforce-gtx-660-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti/

EDIT #2: You said you had a Radeon 6970, right? Well, maybe you shouldn't upgrade your card.

http://www.hwcompare.com/13346/geforce-gtx-660-vs-radeon-hd-6970/

Adraeus fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 5, 2012

Mister Bates
Aug 4, 2010
So, I finally had one of those awesome experiences people keep writing about.

I was sneaking into an outpost at night to clear it out. Scoped out all the guys, about half a dozen or so, and they were all clustered close enough together that there was no way I'd be able to isolate or lure away just one. I decided to wait for a while to see if one broke away from the pack, and after a minute or two of hiding in the bushes a loving bear charged into the camp from the wilderness and started mauling people. The whole camp went crazy, people running everywhere, and I was able to sneak up behind them while they were distracted and get two stealth takedowns while the bear killed everyone else. Outpost cleared, undetected, plus I got a free bear skin.

In conclusion, ignore all those people who say the bow is the best weapon for stealth. The best stealth weapon in this game is a bear. :getin:

ukiyo e
Sep 12, 2012

Wait... what?
I've learned to quickly abandon my usual strategy of driving cars in a straight line to my destination. On the bright side, rolling down a hill in a jeep looks awesome.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

ukiyo e posted:

I've learned to quickly abandon my usual strategy of driving cars in a straight line to my destination. On the bright side, rolling down a hill in a jeep looks awesome.

As long as you manage to dive out before it explodes. I've found out the hard way that it's a bit spotty. :smith:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

Adraeus posted:

No, the Ti version is always superior. EDIT: The Ti performs better with anisotropic filtering, but the 660 is far superior to my 560 Ti and whatever video card you currently have, so you probably wouldn't notice the difference.

http://www.hwcompare.com/13296/geforce-gtx-660-vs-geforce-gtx-660-ti/

EDIT #2: You said you had a Radeon 6970, right? Well, maybe you shouldn't upgrade your card.

http://www.hwcompare.com/13346/geforce-gtx-660-vs-radeon-hd-6970/

Yeah except my card is kinda dying, I'm not sure what happened to it and its not under warranty. I know that my card is supposed to be really good but its just causing certain things to fail. I picked up a twin frozr 660ti (turns out they had one) and I am going to try it out. If the card doesn't improve things I'll return it but I would bet you its my hd6970 that is loving things up.

kedo
Nov 27, 2007

Fuuuuuuuck. Pre-loaded last night, but now Steam is stuck downloading at 99%, seemingly not connecting to the server. :suicide:

Not like I wanted to play this game or anything.

Pattie
Mar 25, 2002

DrNutt posted:

As long as you manage to dive out before it explodes. I've found out the hard way that it's a bit spotty. :smith:

Just wait until you get the wingsuit.... Happened to me twice. Me driving along full speed and suddenly it's the end of a cliff, better bail! Ooh poo poo now I'm free falling! Wait! The prompt says press me for wing suit, I'll do that. Successfully land unharmed. This makes me wish for a 30 sec recording like in the GTA games and a third person cam.

For the guy with the videocard problems: disable AA in game enable it in driver settings.

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Ok, I normally play arrow keys due to being left-handed. Thanks to this game being horrible at bindings, I need to use auto-hotkey.
Can you explain what's wrong with the game in regards to bindings? I haven't run into any issues since I haven't actually needed to rebind anything.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

gibbed posted:

Can you explain what's wrong with the game in regards to bindings? I haven't run into any issues since I haven't actually needed to rebind anything.

If you rebind away from WASD as movement keys, things like hanggliders still control with WASD.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

gibbed posted:

Cannot bind the numpad delete key, using a car still uses WASD instead of arrows, handbrake in a car uses space to handbrake instead of my rebound jump key.

Pattie
Mar 25, 2002

Endymion FRS MK1 posted:

Cannot bind the numpad delete key, using a car still uses WASD instead of arrows, handbrake in a car uses space to handbrake instead of my rebound jump key.

Did you also change the vehicle keymappings?

Adraeus
Jan 25, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

ScienceAndMusic posted:

Yeah except my card is kinda dying, I'm not sure what happened to it and its not under warranty. I know that my card is supposed to be really good but its just causing certain things to fail. I picked up a twin frozr 660ti (turns out they had one) and I am going to try it out. If the card doesn't improve things I'll return it but I would bet you its my hd6970 that is loving things up.

What do you mean by "causing certain things to fail"? Does your PSU have enough power? The HD 6970 requires a lot of power. Nvidia's cards tend to be more conservative.

real_scud
Sep 5, 2002

One of these days these elbows are gonna walk all over you

Pattie posted:

Doesn't matter, and what's even crazier is some of the keybinds keep your newly updated bindings and others don't.

Example. I rebound movement and vehicle to ESDF, enter vehicles/interact is W.

If I get into a hang-glider it will tell me I can direct it with ESDF and get in and out with W. However to actually turn it I can only use AD, if I hit S nothing seems to happen. But if I hit W to try to make it angle up, I will instead exit the hang-glider and plummet to my death.

It was fun the first time I had it happen and since then I've just gotten in hang-gliders and turned left or right in circles for however long I needed until I'm over my target and can land safely.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

Pattie posted:

:downs: I did not know there was a vehicle bind menu. Thank you. No numpad delete is annoying still, but at least I can rebind that to a mouse button or something.

Wazzit
Jul 16, 2004

Who wants to play video games?
Is it possible to shoot while driving now? That always bothered me in Far Cry 2.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Pattie posted:

Just wait until you get the wingsuit.... Happened to me twice. Me driving along full speed and suddenly it's the end of a cliff, better bail! Ooh poo poo now I'm free falling! Wait! The prompt says press me for wing suit, I'll do that. Successfully land unharmed. This makes me wish for a 30 sec recording like in the GTA games and a third person cam.

For the guy with the videocard problems: disable AA in game enable it in driver settings.

Oh, I do. It's just that sometimes I'll be mashing 'e' and he just refuses to dive out of the vehicle. The wing suit is amazing and I stopped using ziplines to get down from radio towers since I got it.

GUI
Nov 5, 2005

Wazzit posted:

Is it possible to shoot while driving now? That always bothered me in Far Cry 2.

No, you still can't.

I hope that for FC4 in addition to shooting from vehicles they bring back the dual-wield option Far Cry Instincts had. Dual MP5s? Sure, why not :smug:

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

Adraeus posted:

What do you mean by "causing certain things to fail"? Does your PSU have enough power? The HD 6970 requires a lot of power. Nvidia's cards tend to be more conservative.

I dunno I can't explain. I used to live with a lot of idiot roommates and my power would surge and fail all the time and this was before I got myself a surge protector/power backup. Since that happened my card would randomly crash for particular games, or just cause some games to underperform. I know for a fact my card was getting enough power, I cross checked and double checked everything when I bought my newest power supply. SO I just think something funky happened to the card. But I am typing this on my computer with the new 660ti in it so I just need ot install the drivers and figure out if this will get the game running for me. Also my old card would die if I didn't set the fan to permanently be at 80% or higher. I realize this immediately makes it seem like an overheating issue but I have cleaned the card, dusted it, improved air flow, my case has about 4 case fans on it and I would monitor the temp and it would never g et to the danger zone, but sure enough the card would bring down the whole system if the fan wasn't set to 80%.

Its weird to explain, but I know my system is built properly, my old card is just bizarre. I do appreciate all your help. I will text this 660ti now and report back.

edit: Everything works great now. Thanks to everyone for helping.

ScienceAndMusic fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Dec 5, 2012

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009

DrNutt posted:

I once got into a boat driven by some locals. It then just randomly exploded in the middle of the bay. On the plus side, I did not get eaten by sharks.

Resource
Aug 6, 2006
Yay!
Is there a way to play this without creating a uPlay account? I just bought this on Steam, it already has DRM and I'm already logged in. I only want to play single player. There is no reason I should be logging in to yet another service.

This is crazy.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I cannot find pigs or boars for the life of me. I'm like 4 hours in and I can barely carry any money or ammo despite all of the exotic poo poo I have found.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The anti-aliasing in this game is ridiculously broken, can run with absolutely everything on the highest settings but as soon as I set it to even 4x the framerate tanks.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

What is the best SSAO method to set it to and what about GPU Buffered frames?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

I'm having a weird problem launching this game from Steam. I go to uPlay, I hit the Play Game button, I get the splash screen, and then it crashes. Launching by bypassing Steam still works, but I shouldn't have to do that anymore.

NESguerilla posted:

I cannot find pigs or boars for the life of me. I'm like 4 hours in and I can barely carry any money or ammo despite all of the exotic poo poo I have found.

You can find pigs in the pig markers on the map. Boars are on the cliffs near Dr. Earnhardt's house.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

HBAO for NVIDIA cards and HDAO for ATI cards.
GPU Buffering isn't really necessary unless you'd like the FPS smoothed out a little, it basically just "stores" frames already rendered by your GPU and takes up a little more video RAM.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Is there some reason Jason Brody has trouble entering some doorways? The general store in the starting village seems to require the perfect angle before he believes he can walk into the store.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I can't get the hang of the wingsuit. I'll fly along and be getting close, the prompt says 'press control for parachute' so I do and nothing happens then I hit the ground and die.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Holy poo poo, this game has quick save?

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

HBAO for NVIDIA cards and HDAO for ATI cards.
GPU Buffering isn't really necessary unless you'd like the FPS smoothed out a little, it basically just "stores" frames already rendered by your GPU and takes up a little more video RAM.

In terms of smoothness I don't care I just want my highest fps possible. Would turning off GPU buffering just increase my FPS?

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

Resource posted:

Is there a way to play this without creating a uPlay account? I just bought this on Steam, it already has DRM and I'm already logged in. I only want to play single player. There is no reason I should be logging in to yet another service.

This is crazy.

No. The Steam version just gives you a code you enter in uPlay, and that verifies the game and allows you to launch it from there. It is not a Steamworks game that integrates with Steam like you're thinking.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

ScienceAndMusic posted:

In terms of smoothness I don't care I just want my highest fps possible. Would turning off GPU buffering just increase my FPS?

Keeping it off is your best option.

Sio
Jan 20, 2007

better red than dead

The Lone Badger posted:

I can't get the hang of the wingsuit. I'll fly along and be getting close, the prompt says 'press control for parachute' so I do and nothing happens then I hit the ground and die.

Try hitting c? It sounds like key bindings aren't being set universally as they should be.

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

JebanyPedal posted:

Keeping it off is your best option.

Thanks. One last decision, should I turn my subtitles on or off!? Oh god I can't keep making these hard hitting decisions.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dan Didio posted:

Finding out that Vaas never existed in the game originally and Michael Mando auditioned for a non-descript pirate role with such crazed vigour that they made the role just for him explains a lot about that character.

Yeah, he just completely owns the role. I love Vaas. And you can really see Michael Mando through the game.

I assume they did both motion capture and facial capture for him.

Although I've noticed that other characters aren't facial mocapped and don't look nearly as good when speaking. One of the characters in the opening sequence you can barely see actually doesn't move his mouth at all, lol.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Has this been posted yet? Claims to disable HUD elements: http://www.gamefront.com/far-cry-3-pc-tweak-guide/

quote:

How to Remove All HUD/UI & Sound Indicators

If you’re not a fan of Far Cry 3′s HUD, or would simply like a more immersive experience, you can hide the HUD and UI elements, as well as the sound indicators, by following these steps.

Note: You will need to edit a DLL file with a HEX editor. Back up the file before editing it, or you will have to reinstall the game if anything goes wrong. You will need a HEX editor like HxD.

Start by opening the DLL file with your HEX editor.
If you are running the game with DirectX 9 or 10, open \bin\FC3.DLL in your game installation folder (eg. Steam\steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\bin)
If you are running the game with DirectX 11, open \bin\FC3_d3d11.DLL in your game installation folder (eg. Steam\steamapps\common\Far Cry 3\bin)
Search for “showuielement”
In the next few lines, you will see S.h.o.w.U.I.E.l.e.m.e.n.t.
Replace the S.h.o.w.U.I.E.l.e.m.e.n.t. with H.i.d.e.U.I.E.l.e.m.e.n.t.
To remove all intrusive sounds, copy and paste each sound item from the list below into your HEX editor and search for TEXT, then replace the HEX value for the text with zeros.
sndCancelMission
sndArmorTutorial
sndObjectiveUpdatePopup
sndLogUpdatePopup
sndTutorialUnlockPopup
sndTutorialPopup
sndHintPopup
sndDetectionUpdate
sndDetected
sndMission_EnterZone
sndMissionStart
sndGainXP
sndLevelUpReminder
sndLevelUp
sndDefaultInteraction
sndSwitchGadget
sndObjective
sndHintBinocular
Save this newly fixed DLL and run the game.

e: a video tutorial apparently

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmlogT8X4_0

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Resource posted:

This is crazy.

If you only want to play single-player just set uPlay to offline mode. Then it'll only take one extra click to launch and you won't have to worry about it.

But yes, it is stupid.

Yodzilla posted:

Has this been posted yet? Claims to disable HUD elements: http://www.gamefront.com/far-cry-3-pc-tweak-guide/

This is interesting. I'll give it a shot once the game reinstalls.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Dec 5, 2012

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Resource posted:

This is crazy.

You're cute.

No, Origin, uPlay, and Games for Windows Live don't give two fucks if you're already in Steam.

And Valve has no real option other than not selling you those games.

Everybody hates it :/

Yodzilla posted:

:aaa:

gently caress YES

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTWVKFCiX1w

appears to work! Haha, seems to make the Tutorial much harder, since you're scripted to go off the hints. But once you're past that, this seems gravy.

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Dec 5, 2012

ScienceAndMusic
Feb 16, 2012

This games presentation is phenomenal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morter
Jul 1, 2006

:ninja:
Gift for the grind, criminal mind shifty

Swift with the 9 through a 59FIFTY

ukiyo e posted:

While fishtailing on a jeep going reverse I managed to do slip perfectly into a hole in a bridge's railway and fall down at least 100 feet--backwards-- into water.

The loudest I've screamed at a (non-horror) video game :cry:

Morter fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Dec 5, 2012

• Locked thread