Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Looking like it's an expansion of 7 for the most part, which isn't a terrible thing. More decloning and polishing can only help.

Kinda wish they went back to the daggers for Gan Ning, was unique and fitting. Lu Meng is unique through everyone else being given different weapons.

Biggest test is whether they leave all the sword kings the same again. Xiahou Dun was out in expansions, but that's still Sun Quan/Jian, Cao Cao, and Sima Zhao sporting it. As far as screenshots can say, looks like Sun Jian still has it, but it was based off his 6 moveset anyway, so if anyone keeps it it should be him.

If you appropriate the rest of the 7DLC weapons not included in XL/Orochi as a guess of who they're meant for:

Boomerang: Zhu Rong
Buckler Blade: Cao Ren
Wands: Da Qiao?
Lightning Rapier: Sima Shi?
Ring: Ding Feng?
Ko: I never understood who this was meant to be for or who'd it make sense to give to. I think it's MASTER OF THE KO stage is held by Gan Ning but he still had the Sickle in Orochi, soo...

It basically leaves the only clones as the sword, twin swords(Liu Bei/Lu Xun) and rapier(Yuan Shao/Liu Shan). Not perfect, but a hell of an improvement.

Don't Pang Tong and Zhang Jiao both still use staffs? I've got Zhang Jiao using the Pugil Sticks (wands) in DW7XL since they are goofy and magic and their alternates look like flowers which fits his hippie Original costume.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006
Blue sparks and big fucking shells.

:dukedog:
They really just need to bring back Pang Tong's old moveset from the PS2 games. He won't need a new weapon, but it's pretty much completely distinct from Zhang Jiao - and it was also super fun to use.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Chachi posted:

They really just need to bring back Pang Tong's old moveset from the PS2 games. He won't need a new weapon, but it's pretty much completely distinct from Zhang Jiao - and it was also super fun to use.

I wonder how hard it would be to do what Warriors Orochi 3 did with some of the characters and have them fight differently with the same weapons. I know the bow users did that, as did the Spear guys and the Double Ended spear users.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
Aren't they bringing back the ability to switch weapons and wield any weapon as any character? If so, I doubt they're going to have different officers have different move sets with different weapons rather than just going with EX attacks like DW7.

Also I went to have One Piece: Pirate Warriors download while I was at work today and the network was down. :( I finally read through chapter 600 (and then some) and now I have to wait another day to play it.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

There is one thing I dislike about SW2. Well, two things.

First, the limited number of enemies is notable. This isn't even an issue of being a PS2 port-Warriors Orochi 2 was also on the PS2 and that game felt like it had a lot more enemies. For me the fun of a Warriors has always been plowing through a group of enemies like a lawnmower in a Football stadium.

Second, and more problematic, is that allied officers are for the most part helpless kittens that can't get anything done on their own. And they will also never. Shut. The. gently caress. Up. It doesn't matter if it's Tadakatsu baring down on them or a single outpost captain in their way, they are incapable of making forward progress until you personally take care of it. And both difficulties get treated with the same urgency, forcing you to take a look at the game map to see if they're really in danger or if you're attention should be elsewhere. And sometimes that small crowd of mooks you assumed they could handle will manage to rout them even though you could plow through them yourself in less than three seconds.

Bitching aside, I still thought it was a lot of fun. The story mode was also enjoyable for the most part, and not just for the blatant bromance vibe between Mitsuhide and Nobunaga.

EDIT:

Jibo posted:

Aren't they bringing back the ability to switch weapons and wield any weapon as any character? If so, I doubt they're going to have different officers have different move sets with different weapons rather than just going with EX attacks like DW7.

I think one solution would be to assign every officer a 'style.' Each style will have a unique moveset for a given weapon. So, for example, Guan Yu has the "Cavalry" style while Lu Meng has the "Strategist" style. (proceed to :words: about whether these examples are appropriate). Both have the Pike as their primary weapon, but because they have different styles, they have different move sets. Not only that, but if you switch them to a different weapon, their moveset for each weapon will be different from each other.

SirPhoebos fucked around with this message at 05:57 on Dec 4, 2012

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I loved playing as Nobunaga in SW2 just because he seemed to have come from a completely different world than everyone else. Like he was really an alien just masquerading as a man and no one noticed because his well-oiled beard was so mesmerizing.

Laser sword? Awesome. Levitation? Sure, why not. Energy Blasts? I'm sure those were mentioned in history at some point.

And the way he would block enemy weapons in power struggles using his bare hand was the icing on the cake.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

SirPhoebos posted:

There is one thing I dislike about SW2. Well, two things.

First, the limited number of enemies is notable. This isn't even an issue of being a PS2 port-Warriors Orochi 2 was also on the PS2 and that game felt like it had a lot more enemies. For me the fun of a Warriors has always been plowing through a group of enemies like a lawnmower in a Football stadium.

Second, and more problematic, is that allied officers are for the most part helpless kittens that can't get anything done on their own. And they will also never. Shut. The. gently caress. Up. It doesn't matter if it's Tadakatsu baring down on them or a single outpost captain in their way, they are incapable of making forward progress until you personally take care of it. And both difficulties get treated with the same urgency, forcing you to take a look at the game map to see if they're really in danger or if you're attention should be elsewhere. And sometimes that small crowd of mooks you assumed they could handle will manage to rout them even though you could plow through them yourself in less than three seconds.

Bitching aside, I still thought it was a lot of fun. The story mode was also enjoyable for the most part, and not just for the blatant bromance vibe between Mitsuhide and Nobunaga.

Both of your problems are text book examples of the difference from the PS2 games to PS3. DW2-5 didn't get huge KO count numbers and the real difficulty in stages came from how bad your allies were at staying alive. I've never played SW2 but the way to save distance commanders in those era DW games was to keep your KO count as high as possible. If someone is crying for help but you know you'll never get there or can't go, then go kill 100 enemies. It'll boost their morale enough to keep them going for a while longer.

The only way I was ever able to beat Nanman in DW5 on Chaos was just to focus on killing troops and let the high moral keep my allies alive. If I stopped the massacre in the center then everyone would immediately panic and die.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
I disagree about there not being many enemies on screen. In the last map I did with Ginchiyo, there were a poo poo load of spearmen and archers in a cramped up castle room. As for generals in SW2 not being able to handle their own, I like that. It gives the game a lot of tension.

Jupiter Jazz fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Dec 4, 2012

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Himuro posted:

I disagree about there not being many enemies on screen. In the last map I did with Ginchiyo, there were a poo poo load of spearmen and archers in a cramped up castle room. As for generals in SW2 not being able to handle their own, I like that. It gives the game a lot of tension.

I don't know about "liking" it but you definitely get used to it. Your role as a player is much more vital to keep the battle from going to hell rather than just being a battering ram to the enemy commander. As mentioned above, this is kind of how it's always been until recently but SW2 is probably the most difficult in that regard.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Jibo posted:

I don't know about "liking" it but you definitely get used to it. Your role as a player is much more vital to keep the battle from going to hell rather than just being a battering ram to the enemy commander. As mentioned above, this is kind of how it's always been until recently but SW2 is probably the most difficult in that regard.

I might be able to tolerate it more if they didn't whine all the time, and half of the time I go to relieve them and it's one Outpost Guard holding them up :ughh:

Don't get me wrong-I had tremendous fun with SW2. I'm just being a nitpicky nerd that can never be happy with anything. :reject:

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo

SirPhoebos posted:

I might be able to tolerate it more if they didn't whine all the time, and half of the time I go to relieve them and it's one Outpost Guard holding them up :ughh:

Don't get me wrong-I had tremendous fun with SW2. I'm just being a nitpicky nerd that can never be happy with anything. :reject:

Haha, I feel ya. And when you get there their health bar has moved a blip.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

Jibo posted:

Don't Pang Tong and Zhang Jiao both still use staffs? I've got Zhang Jiao using the Pugil Sticks (wands) in DW7XL since they are goofy and magic and their alternates look like flowers which fits his hippie Original costume.

Yeah, they both still use the Shaman Rod. Zhuge Liang/Zhuge Dan/Sima Yi all share the Feather Fan too, forgot about those. I could see Sima Yi getting his ridiculous claws back, in spite of them trying to 'soften' him since he's now the Patriarch of Jin.

Speaking of which, have they really said what the focus for 8 would be? The new characters(Li Dian/Lu Su/Yu Jin) seem to date it at the standard period for the games without much mind for post-Wu Zhang.

Himuro posted:

Haha, I feel ya. And when you get there their health bar has moved a blip.

"I NEED HELP, NOW!" Dude...you're fighting mooks.

I can't decide if I like the tension of an allied officer being overwhelmed by swarms of footsoldiers or not. It's annoying when you have to rescue your commander constantly because you can't leave them alone long enough to kill the base captains, but at the same time, there's something lost in Orochi 3 where I don't even really bother with the base captains because they fail to really affect the battle.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

Yeah, they both still use the Shaman Rod. Zhuge Liang/Zhuge Dan/Sima Yi all share the Feather Fan too, forgot about those. I could see Sima Yi getting his ridiculous claws back, in spite of them trying to 'soften' him since he's now the Patriarch of Jin.

I forgot about the fan clan, too. But I'm okay with them being the same because the strategist fan move set is awesome and all three of their EX attacks are good. Plus Zhuge Liang and Sima Yi need their fans, just like Cao Cao and Sun Jian/Quan need swords.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E
:siren: New DW8 Characters! :siren:

You say you wanted more late characters, well here you go.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/04/dynasty-warriors-8-shows-off-three-all-new-characters/

We got 2 kids of Guan Yu and 1 of Zhang Fei.

Also the Elemental system changes look interesting.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I can't decide if I like the tension of an allied officer being overwhelmed by swarms of footsoldiers or not.

It depends for me. I don't mind if say Da Qiao or Pang Tong or someone is getting beaten by mooks, but there's a DLC stage where you're fighting alongside Lu Bu as an ally and he would constantly beg for help for me from just mooks. I mean come on, that's kind of ridiculous.

Belzac posted:

So I'm not too up to date, but if I'm correct, we still don't have all five of the Wei Generals playable (the lone holdout now being Yu Jin), right? C'mon Koei, get with it.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Twelve by Pies posted:

So I'm not too up to date, but if I'm correct, we still don't have all five of the Wei Generals playable (the lone holdout now being Yu Jin), right? C'mon Koei, get with it.

The fact that we are only just getting people like them after 7 installments should have long told you that they aren't exactly hustling to add everyone important.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Samurai Warriors 2 is easily the hardest Warriors game I have played. I am playing Mitsuhide Akechi and have died 5 times on this map where you assassinate Nobunaga, all from enemy generals. They continually block my poo poo, I feel like I am doing poo poo damage, and they can knock my health down to blinking red in just a few hits. Meanwhile I am being jumped by huge sumos, shot at by riflemen.

Holy. poo poo. I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong but this is tense as gently caress. I keep thinking I put it on hard mode but I swear I put it on normal.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Himuro posted:

Samurai Warriors 2 is easily the hardest Warriors game I have played. I am playing Mitsuhide Akechi and have died 5 times on this map where you assassinate Nobunaga, all from enemy generals. They continually block my poo poo, I feel like I am doing poo poo damage, and they can knock my health down to blinking red in just a few hits. Meanwhile I am being jumped by huge sumos, shot at by riflemen.

Holy. poo poo. I am not sure if I am doing anything wrong but this is tense as gently caress. I keep thinking I put it on hard mode but I swear I put it on normal.
That's weird, I remember it being the easiest one. One particular time I remember running right into the enemy's stronghold where literally twelve enemy generals were and somehow killing all of them myself, and I think I was even under-leveled.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
In this stage Oda's forces are all beefed up for atk the point where their morale never drops. They are really strong. It is a lot easier if you burn the castle, but somehow I kept getting lost in the Honnoji corridors so the fire guy would end up dying. Memorizing the map made things way easier. That and making it a priority to burn the castle.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I love the Japanese voice they got for Nobunaga.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Himuro posted:

In this stage Oda's forces are all beefed up for atk the point where their morale never drops. They are really strong. It is a lot easier if you burn the castle, but somehow I kept getting lost in the Honnoji corridors so the fire guy would end up dying. Memorizing the map made things way easier. That and making it a priority to burn the castle.

I remember my strategy for that stage is to take care of Ranmaru Mori ASAP because she can chew through your allies in no time at all. Then take out Nobutada.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Samurai Sanders posted:

That's weird, I remember it being the easiest one. One particular time I remember running right into the enemy's stronghold where literally twelve enemy generals were and somehow killing all of them myself, and I think I was even under-leveled.

Starting out it's definitely hard, but it curves way back the other way once you get some stats and weapons. The upper levels of the tower can get kind of tough too if you don't have a murder machine like maxed out Keiji/Tadakatsu/Musashi.

I got to spend some time with One Piece Pirate Warriors last night. At first I was okay with the platforming QTE stuff, but after the temple at Alabasta and Water 7 I was pretty fed up with it. I don't really remember Luffy spending an hour in the temple jumping around four different rooms and rotating cat statues to solve puzzles so I'm not sure why they put it in the game. Mostly I was just irritated because it makes it not such an ideal game to play after having a few beers.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Dec 5, 2012

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Belzac posted:

You say you wanted more late characters, well here you go.

http://www.vg247.com/2012/12/04/dynasty-warriors-8-shows-off-three-all-new-characters/

We got 2 kids of Guan Yu and 1 of Zhang Fei.

Also the Elemental system changes look interesting.

Well, I hope at least these kids aren't the same bishie/teenage kawaii bullshit we got out of Guan Suo and Bao Sanniang.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

5er posted:

Well, I hope at least these kids aren't the same bishie/teenage kawaii bullshit we got out of Guan Suo and Bao Sanniang.

Considering Guan Xing looks a lot like Xing Cai in that scanned magazine page, you may not want to hold your breath :ughh:

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Chachi posted:

Considering Guan Xing looks a lot like Xing Cai in that scanned magazine page, you may not want to hold your breath :ughh:

I thought he looked a bit like a rejected costume palette for Zhao Yun. 'Double mace' makes me think they're likely just going to do a lazy import of Fukushima Masanori's moveset.

In any case don't worry about me suffocating. I've been in one long, perpetual sigh for years now.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

5er posted:

I thought he looked a bit like a rejected costume palette for Zhao Yun. 'Double mace' makes me think they're likely just going to do a lazy import of Fukushima Masanori's moveset.

In any case don't worry about me suffocating. I've been in one long, perpetual sigh for years now.

If you look at the pictures of it, it doesn't look much like Masanori's mace. It's a long rod with two flail looking attachments at the ends. I mean, that doesn't mean they won't just copy that move set, but at least it's pretty visually distinct.

But yes, Zhang Bao and Guan Yinping look like typical anime characters. Guan Xing at least looks more serious though maybe a bit close to old Zhou Yu.

Seriously though, stop adding unnamed kids of people. I really hope Lu Lingqi or Xiahou Yuan's daughter don't show up.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Guan Xing and Zhang Bao at least make a small amount of sense, because they were involved in the conflict with Wu following the deaths of their fathers - recapturing the black dragon and taking revenge on Pan Zhang and all that, etc.. They also had a role in a couple of the campaigns against the north.

Why we got catgirl and her beau instead of soldiers like Cheng Pu or Yu Jin remains a mystery, of course.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Chachi posted:

Guan Xing and Zhang Bao at least make a small amount of sense, because they were involved in the conflict with Wu following the deaths of their fathers - recapturing the black dragon and taking revenge on Pan Zhang and all that, etc.. They also had a role in a couple of the campaigns against the north.

Why we got catgirl and her beau instead of soldiers like Cheng Pu or Yu Jin remains a mystery, of course.

Suo and his wife are in because they're pretty popular folk heroes. They probably didn't even exist but they have a ton of stories and plays written about them. It's pretty similar to why Goemon shows up in Samurai Warriors.

Chachi
Jan 7, 2006

Belzac posted:

Suo and his wife are in because they're pretty popular folk heroes. They probably didn't even exist but they have a ton of stories and plays written about them. It's pretty similar to why Goemon shows up in Samurai Warriors.

Can you elaborate on this folk hero status? I'm genuinely curious, because up to now all I really know is that Guan Suo got an "I'm here too" in the campaign to pacify the Nanman.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

F R A C T U R E

Chachi posted:

Can you elaborate on this folk hero status? I'm genuinely curious, because up to now all I really know is that Guan Suo got an "I'm here too" in the campaign to pacify the Nanman.

From Koei Wiki:

The Koei Wiki posted:

In 1967, eleven volumes of stories were discovered in a grave dating from the Ming Dynasty in the Jiading District, Shanghai. Four of the volumes centered on Guan Suo, which described his history while loosely based in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms setting. These four volumes have been transcribed and compiled into what is now known as Hua Guan Suo Zhuan (花関索伝). While the state of the original text is difficult to decipher, it is generally believed that these tales were a collection of hearsay and gossip made in an attempt to expand Romance of the Three Kingdoms.

There's also a play based on his adventures. His time from the battle of Fan castle to the pacification of Nanman is full of weird one-off stories of stuff he did. He also married one of Meng Huo's daughters (Meng Huaman, look for her in DW10 or something).

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

I'm just surprised that people are seriously getting mad about some characters looking like anime characters when the series went pretty much anime as gently caress with 6 and on. I personally don't care about the 5 Wei Generals, I'm more annoyed that pretty much all of the Jin faction is made of characters that mostly never lived to even see the kingdom begin, with most of them dying half way through the story.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
If I am a huge Gundam nerd and want one of the DW: Gundam games, should I go ahead and get 3?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

GET READY FOR MORE ONE PIECE

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 was announced in today's issue of Weekly Jump. This one will be on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.

I can't wait until I finally read enough of the manga to not be cheated by the original game. I'm on volume 17! Only like... 43 volumes to go! :shepicide:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

WickedIcon posted:

If I am a huge Gundam nerd and want one of the DW: Gundam games, should I go ahead and get 3?
That's hard to say, the gameplay in 3 is the best I guess, but pretty much completely lacks stages and scenarios from the animes themselves, they are all in generic maze-y battlefields and a meaningless original story. You can unlock the anime scenarios as bonus things but they also take place in generic battlefields. Also, they ditched space maps entirely for some reason (not that they were functionally very different from land maps).

Also, chopping through hundreds of Zakus or whatever never ever felt particularly Gundam-y to me.

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 22:55 on Dec 5, 2012

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

I love Gundam and Dynasty Warriors but Dynasty Warriors: Gundam disgusts me. I devoted so much time into DWG2 before my original PS3 died (and took my 99% complete save with it...) and looking back on it I can safely say I really didn't enjoy it all that much.

Like Sanders is saying, the dissonance between the Musou formula and Gundam feels kind of weird. The battles never got THAT big until the very end, but they have Amuro Ray killing hundreds of Zakus in mission 1 and it's incredibly awkward. Nothing about it really feels like Gundam, aside from the odd stage they perfectly adapt like the finale battle in the colony gun from Zeta, and the Musou model doesn't fit Gundam at all.

Super Ness
Jan 14, 2011

~It's in...your..heart..~

Policenaut posted:

One Piece: Pirate Warriors 2 was announced in today's issue of Weekly Jump. This one will be on both PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita.

I'm so hype. I hope I can play as Bon-Chan this time around! Oh hell lets go bananas, maybe even Roger and Shanks!!:hawaaaafap:

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

GET READY FOR MORE ONE PIECE

I can't wait until I finally read enough of the manga to not be cheated by the original game. I'm on volume 17! Only like... 43 volumes to go! :shepicide:

Well you're half way to where it starts to get really good. Seriously, I just read through it all so I could play the game and Volume 34 is where they get to Water 7 which is where it really started to hold my interest. Around 50 or 51 is where it gets pretty hard to put down.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Jesus Christ, cool it on the Musou, Koei. :stare:

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Jibo posted:

Well you're half way to where it starts to get really good. Seriously, I just read through it all so I could play the game and Volume 34 is where they get to Water 7 which is where it really started to hold my interest. Around 50 or 51 is where it gets pretty hard to put down.

This sounds pretty encouraging. I'm already really enjoying the manga so far, it sort of reminds me of DBZ only things actually happen and its got pirates. I just wish it would lay off on the flash backs at a little. That volume which turned into a giant flashback halfway right as Luffy started fighting the Ice King was such a god drat tease.

My hopes are that by the time I finish reading all the manga, Pirate Warriors 1 wont cost $50 on the PSN :psyduck:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

WickedIcon posted:

I actually enjoyed 2 more than 3, because 2 follows Gundam, Zeta, to a much lesser extent ZZ, and ends with chars counter attack. And then there's a number of characters who get their own little stories in mission mode which is more of a mash-up plotline. Whereas DW:G3 is entirely the mash-up plotline and while it's got some good parts its just a really weird experience seeing all these characters drawn in different art-styles having long mostly-text conversations

I went in to the games not knowing really anything about gundam other than some Gundam Wing, so slaughtering tons of suits didn't seem weird at all :v: