Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Behonkiss
Feb 10, 2005

Louisgod posted:

Really the thing that the WiiU should be used for by the majority of people in this thread is Xenoblade. If you haven't bought it yet then gently caress you, what is wrong with you, you are literal garbage.

To be honest, that's a legitimate reason for me to get a Wii U at some point. My Wii lens is apparently dirty/screwed up and glitches at a certain point in Xenoblade so I can no longer progress, and I can't find the lens cleaner kit online for a reasonable price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The load times between apps have not been eliminated, but they're definitely shorter. I don't have to listen to the little NSMBU intro song for nearly as long as before.

theultimo
Aug 2, 2004

An RSS feed bot who makes questionable purchasing decisions.
Pillbug

Bobnumerotres posted:

How do you know it still random crashes? Can you reproduce it or is your luck just that awful?
Going to wii mode froze it again.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

theultimo posted:

Miiverse is sluggish as hell, but no Tivii. New languages there though.

Otherwise big fixes and that's it.

2.1.0u is the update version.

The TVii thing isn't really a surprise. Nintendo has already flat out said that's not coming outside of Japan until early next year.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Edison Carter posted:

The TVii thing isn't really a surprise. Nintendo has already flat out said that's not coming outside of Japan until early next year.

Huh? They said Japan gets it on the 8th but they haven't released a date for the US.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!
I decided to ditch #wiiugoons since it was a bit empty and not that active, and made #nintengoons on synirc.net as a general goon channel for Wii U, 3DS, Wii, DS, other Nintendo junk instead of breaking that up into different channels.

I also got a friend to set up a bot in there to receive and give goons' WiiU/3DS/Wii info.

AngryCaterpillar, if you can please change the IRC link to the new channel. :)

Waffleopolis fucked around with this message at 04:22 on Dec 5, 2012

absolutely anything
Dec 28, 2006

~As for dreams, she has enough and more to spare~

Edison Carter posted:

http://www.nintendo.com/wiiu/built-in-software#/tvii :confused:

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Supercar Gautier posted:

The load times between apps have not been eliminated, but they're definitely shorter. I don't have to listen to the little NSMBU intro song for nearly as long as before.

Copy this, also closing things seems quicker to me.

Did pressing the home button when in the shop, always take you instantly back to the home screen?

Long John Power fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 5, 2012

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Just checking, going to settings took 8 settings and back to home 19 seconds. Going to Notifications took 10 seconds and 18 back to home. If this is any faster I'm not seeing it so far.

Artix
Apr 26, 2010

He's finally back,
to kick some tail!
And this time,
he's goin' to jail!
Oh for gently caress's sake. I got about halfway done downloading it when it lost my connection for some reason, so I decided to play some Sonic and let it download in the background when it reconnected a minute or so later. Cue a system lockup right when I finish a Grand Prix, so I have to pull the plug and now it looks like it has to download the whole loving thing again. Thank god I still have an unfinished Professor Layton to go through.

Artix fucked around with this message at 05:01 on Dec 5, 2012

mcw
Jul 28, 2005
Anyone had a problem where the Wii U downloads the update, switches to a blank screen with the Wii U logo on it, then just sits there? It's been doing this for fifteen minutes so far.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

My Wii U seems even slower now after the update. It also won't power down now.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Behonkiss posted:

To be honest, that's a legitimate reason for me to get a Wii U at some point. My Wii lens is apparently dirty/screwed up and glitches at a certain point in Xenoblade so I can no longer progress, and I can't find the lens cleaner kit online for a reasonable price.

Honestly? If you've already paid for it (and I'm really glad you did! It's a great game that needs the support) then why not just softmod your wii and burn a fresh copy or run it from an external HD. Probably won't run into the same problem and there's some cool media player and emulation functionality you can use with a modded Wii at this point.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Twitter is more forgiving in the length of messages you can send to friends, I just found out.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Has anyone gotten the Sonic patch yet? I heard it would be out in "hours" a few hours ago but I haven't seen it. :smith:

tidiox
Jul 22, 2007

Reggie also confirmed to Gamasutra in an article published today that TVii will be coming in December: http://gamasutra.com/view/news/182744/Nintendos_FilsAime_unfazed_by_Wii_Us_launch_hiccups.php#.UL7UVoNmWm4

Gamasutra posted:

While [TVii] missed its touted launch day bow, Fils-Aime re-confirmed the feature will release sometime in December.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

Has anyone gotten the Sonic patch yet? I heard it would be out in "hours" a few hours ago but I haven't seen it. :smith:

people are postin stuff about it on the messageboard, so most likely (pics of checkpoints in boost challenges etc)

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

Waffleopolis posted:

I decided to ditch #wiiugoons since it was a bit empty and not that active, and made #nintengoons on synirc.net as a general goon channel for Wii U, 3DS, Wii, DS, other Nintendo junk instead of breaking that up into different channels.

I also got a friend to set up a bot in there to receive and give goons' WiiU/3DS/Wii info.

AngryCaterpillar, if you can please change the IRC link to the new channel. :)

No probs.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Robolizard! posted:

people are postin stuff about it on the messageboard, so most likely (pics of checkpoints in boost challenges etc)

Oh good! I'll be able to finally progress when I get home from work tomorrow.

moron izzard
Nov 17, 2006

Grimey Drawer

axeil posted:

Oh good! I'll be able to finally progress when I get home from work tomorrow.

I actually just got on and have not been prompted for it yet either. I don't know if I need to get to a certain screen first or what

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Droid Washington posted:

Twitter is more forgiving in the length of messages you can send to friends, I just found out.
160 vs 100 characters iirc.

People have been getting around it with handwritten messages though :v:

Speaking of which:

:stare:

japtor fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Dec 5, 2012

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS
Everyone, could you please stop saying that eShop purchases are tied to your console rather than your account. This is not technically true. Your purchases are all registered on your account, it's just that you can only have your purchases downloadable on one console at a time. If your console is broken or stolen, you can get Nintendo to transfer your account to another console (although if it was stolen you need to prove it with a police report. No I'm serious).

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

Beat Yoshi's Fruit Cart finally, then replayed it because it was in double coin mode. Made it to gate 35, got foiled by rolling into a spicy chili plate at the wrong angle :argh: but I managed to get a ton of points, and 200 coins :woop:

EDIT: Can you get Stars for the multiplayer attractions? I mean the competitive ones, not the co-op ones (since those have levels you can beat, etc.)

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.

Haha, isn't that an official Nintendo account? Because if so that's really awesome.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

axeil posted:

Robolizard! posted:

Don't think it's actually out in the US yet, you're probably seeing comments from EU players that already had it on launch.

Waffleopolis
Apr 24, 2005

It's time....for the MAIN event!

japtor posted:

160 vs 100 characters iirc.

People have been getting around it with handwritten messages though :v:

Speaking of which:

Hey is there a way I can so a search for people on the Miiverse? I'd love to follow some good artists that make crazy posts like this.

skywalker6705
Mar 16, 2006

"I can't fit my meat into my new shorts!"

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Everyone, could you please stop saying that eShop purchases are tied to your console rather than your account. This is not technically true. Your purchases are all registered on your account, it's just that you can only have your purchases downloadable on one console at a time. If your console is broken or stolen, you can get Nintendo to transfer your account to another console (although if it was stolen you need to prove it with a police report. No I'm serious).

Is this in any way true for Virtual console and Wiiware titles? It not not account based like PSN or Live are, where you can login elsewhere to play your games. The games are tied to the console. Aside from it being broken or stolen, how else can you deactivate them if you just want to play at your friends place for a week?

farfromsleep
Sep 16, 2012

space cat wannabe
You can't download 'em to another system without direct intervention from Nintendo. Pretty much no other company make you go through that level of bullshit just to transfer your downloads over. I think saying downloads are tied to the console is fair enough until Ninty get their poo poo together enough to give you the same options everyone else already does.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Haha, isn't that an official Nintendo account? Because if so that's really awesome.
I'm assuming so cause that's the same Mii as the Nikki that outputs Nintendo's Swapnote stuff on 3DS, supposedly that checkbox* is like Twitter's "confirmed" user thing.

*Just noticed it's literally a check...on a box, rather than the usual checkbox, oh Nintendo :allears:

Waffleopolis posted:

Hey is there a way I can so a search for people on the Miiverse? I'd love to follow some good artists that make crazy posts like this.
Search is in uh, I think Miiverse->[click on your Mii?]->Search, but iirc you need the exact name. NeoGAF has a thread listing some devs and tech writers and stuff:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=502157

And a Miiverse drawings thread if you just want to see the artwork (names are there too):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=500683

The Timely Howard
Dec 26, 2008

ASK ME WHAT MAKES ME THINK I'M SO FUNKY

farfromsleep posted:

You can't download 'em to another system without direct intervention from Nintendo. Pretty much no other company make you go through that level of bullshit just to transfer your downloads over.

When my original Xbox 360 red ringed I needed to phone Microsoft Customer Service in order for my licenses to be transferred over to the new console that they had sent me as a replacement. Does that not count as direct intervention from Microsoft?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Uhhh you can literally just download your profile on a new 360 and all you need is your login info to do so. You don't need Microsoft's help whatsoever.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

AngryCaterpillar posted:

Did they change it so that you can move your account from one system to another a la Gamertags?

'Cause this is kind of a tomato/tomahto thing since otherwise you're at the mercy of convincing a Nintendo rep that you're trustworthy if your poo poo breaks or gets lost somehow and there's no police report to move games that you bought to another console that you bought*.

*Which is staggeringly ridiculous, unless I've got it wrong.

Digital distribution seems to be working the Apple, Microsoft and Valve ways. I don't know why ID's seem to be such a monumental thing to grasp for Nintendo.

e: Games are tied to accounts that are tied to systems which means games are tied to systems. Unless Uncle Reggie steps in? Bleh.

Soul Glo fucked around with this message at 07:15 on Dec 5, 2012

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Waffleopolis posted:

Yeah, in the upper left corner should be your user options, and in there you can search for Miiverse users by name. From there you can choose to follow their posts.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

I didn't even know there was an update until I quit my game and got prompted to install, love that background download. Hopefully this fixes the crashing some people have been having.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Quest For Glory II posted:

Uhhh you can literally just download your profile on a new 360 and all you need is your login info to do so. You don't need Microsoft's help whatsoever.

You have to be logged into Live with that account to be able to actually play the games though after they're transferred. You have to go through Microsoft's website or call them like The Timely Howard did. You should be able to at least play with your account online from any system though with the Wii U. It'd be easy enough to keep from being abused by just not allowing the same account to be logged in on two systems at once.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

The Timely Howard posted:

When my original Xbox 360 red ringed I needed to phone Microsoft Customer Service in order for my licenses to be transferred over to the new console that they had sent me as a replacement. Does that not count as direct intervention from Microsoft?

You've been able to transfer your licenses via the Xbox 360 itself for a year or two now, via xbox.com for even longer, and you've been able to use your stuff on literally any internet connected Xbox 360 simply by logging in with your email and password since the day it was released.

Edison Carter
Mar 26, 2010

Quest For Glory II posted:

That's not entirely true. When you purchase a game on Xbox Live, it's tied both to the console itself AND the account that purchased it. So this way both the account that purchased the console can play it, in addition to any other accounts on the console. When you purchase a new console and log in with your original account and download the games again, ONLY the person who purchased the game can use it on that account since it's not the console the game was originally purchased on. They have a tool online that allows you to move your licenses over to another console (once a year ONLY), but most people I know have had no luck at all getting the tool to work. I personally had to go through half a dozen calls to MS's customer service in order to have the licenses correctly moved to my new console. So if you're an even remotely multi-account household, getting licenses moved over can be a royal pain in the rear end too.

Skunk Ape
Mar 16, 2009

:shepface:God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title:shepface:

japtor posted:

Speaking of which:

That's the same Mii that introduces and sends you pictures and crap on SwapNote on 3DS I'm pretty sure.

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

The Timely Howard posted:

That hasn't been the case with Microsoft for years.

Edison Carter posted:

That's not entirely true. When you purchase a game on Xbox Live, it's tied both to the console itself AND the account that purchased it. So this way both the account that purchased the console can play it, in addition to any other accounts on the console. When you purchase a new console and log in with your original account and download the games again, ONLY the person who purchased the game can use it on that account since it's not the console the game was originally purchased on. They have a tool online that allows you to move your licenses over to another console (once a year ONLY), but most people I know have had no luck at all getting the tool to work. I personally had to go through half a dozen calls to MS's customer service in order to have the licenses correctly moved to my new console. So if you're an even remotely multi-account household, getting licenses moved over can be a royal pain in the rear end too.

I can't speak to the troubles you've had, but I've now done several license transfers without needing any intervention from Microsoft.

The one step I see people usually is miss is, after you did the license transfer, did you redownload all the items? You don't have to delete the stuff and redownload every last bit, but you have to initiate a redownload of every item to at least download the new rights portion that gives your new console access to the file.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Skunk Ape posted:

That's the same Mii that introduces and sends you pictures and crap on SwapNote on 3DS I'm pretty sure.

Yeah, that's Nikki, but that's not an official Nintendo account or whatever.

• Locked thread