Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

𝓪 𝓻𝓮𝓭 𝓹𝓪𝓷𝓭𝓪 𝓲𝓼 𝓪 𝓬𝓾𝓻𝓲𝓸𝓾𝓼 𝓼𝓸𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓯 𝓬𝓻𝓮𝓪𝓽𝓾𝓻𝓮

movax posted:

Do you have Tx->Rx set up properly? Should be crossed over, double-check the pin-names vs. what they actually are. Some people label their pins Tx and it's actually a receiver buffer where you hook up the external Rx line to it.

After we made a mistake at work swapping some PCIe lanes around in the same way, we instituted a policy where all parts with transmitters/receivers have the buffers drawn on the symbol to prevent any confusion with regard to pin names.

I literally just got it working. The example code I borrowed from was testing for some flag to be set, I figured it was never getting set, so I took out the test and now it just happily spits out characters. I'll have to watch out for that in the future though!

So fwiw, the LaunchPad (MSP-EXP430G2) can be used as a UART->USB converter if there's no chip installed. Now I just need to learn how to actually use the USART for more than just sending a test string.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

A+

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

ST is giving away free STM32F3DISCOVERY boards, apparently. I have one of these and it's pretty nifty. Cortex M4, has an integrated ST-Link SWD USB interface that you can decouple from the project board and use to probe any other ST projects you might have (and apparently unofficially other vendors' Cortex MCUs, but I haven't tried yet).

Link is here: http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/254044.jsp

You have to register on their site and give them some project you'd like to work on I guess. I just made up some project that sounded plausible. I guess we'll see if they approve the order or not.

---

Also: All hail the university e-waste disposal cage! :black101:

In working condition!

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Nov 30, 2012

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

Martytoof posted:

ST is giving away free STM32F3DISCOVERY boards, apparently. I have one of these and it's pretty nifty. Cortex M4, has an integrated ST-Link SWD USB interface that you can decouple from the project board and use to probe any other ST projects you might have (and apparently unofficially other vendors' Cortex MCUs, but I haven't tried yet).

Link is here: http://www.st.com/internet/evalboard/product/254044.jsp

THanks for linking this :)

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Otto Skorzeny posted:

THanks for linking this :)

No problem :)

All credit goes to hackaday.com where I saw the link.

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Maybe this one will have better documentation than the STM32F0-DISCOVERY.

Of course the pins are ganged so you can't stick it in a normal breadboard. Looks like it'll take a bit more work out of the box.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can anyone point to a good tutorial that will help me to understand why/how chaining shift registers together works?

I totally understand how a single shift register works.

I totally FAIL to understand why you can just chain them together and have control over the entire chain with just three pins.

I want to try driving a handful of 7 segment displays without multiplexing, and if I can dedicate just three GPIO pins to that task then I'm actually pretty excited. I know it WILL work, but I'm not quite sure WHY it will work.

Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology, etc.

I'm using the 74HC595 in this case, I think. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Martytoof posted:

Can anyone point to a good tutorial that will help me to understand why/how chaining shift registers together works?

I totally understand how a single shift register works.

I totally FAIL to understand why you can just chain them together and have control over the entire chain with just three pins.

I want to try driving a handful of 7 segment displays without multiplexing, and if I can dedicate just three GPIO pins to that task then I'm actually pretty excited. I know it WILL work, but I'm not quite sure WHY it will work.

Sorry if I'm using the wrong terminology, etc.

I'm using the 74HC595 in this case, I think. I'm not sure if that makes a difference.
Imagine four bits at the edge of a cliff...

It's pretty simple though. You shift in a bit by setting the input line high or low, and then sending a clock pulse. That bit goes into the first place, and the bit that was there gets moved into the next place and so on. The last bit gets discarded if you don't do anything with it. But if you have multiple shift registers, and your chip provides an output for this last bit, then you can just hook that to the input of your next register. You feed all the chips the same clock signal and that lets the data just overflow into as many registers as you like.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ohhhhh man yeah it JUST clicked. I can't believe I was confused by this.

And then since they're all using the same output enable signal that'll make updating a 7 seg LCD a breeze. Disable the output, feed the shift registers 8 more bits, register IC 1 overflows previous 8 bits to register IC 2, register IC 2 overflows its previous 8 bits into nothingness, flip the switch and the state updates.

Four bits at the edge of a cliff indeed! :q:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Dec 3, 2012

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

You can do the same thing with ripple counters as long as you're driving common cathode displays. I made a display for my LaunchPad using 74LS393s, then immediately forgot about it once I got an HD44780 LCD. It only needed 2 wires though (increment, reset) and some patience.

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I understand why TI took so long in shipping my Stellaris Launchpad now.

It's to give you enough time to install a loving toolchain.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I just realized TI sends out free samples of chips and such, so I picked up an MSP430 chip just to say I've played with one.

Cortex development seems to be going really well for me after I gave up on being different and trying to hack together a custom toolchain/IDE/etc solution. I still have my Eclipse solution sitting unused but I ended up resorting to using NXP's LPCxpresso IDE (based on Red Studio) since it has built in support for the SWD for the lpcxpresso 1769 board I'm currently in love with. Also it runs natively on OSX.

Currently working on an RFID pet project as a proof of concept and to familiarize myself with I2C and the ins and outs of learning embedded development.

Also picked up DangerousPrototypes.com's Bus Blaster v2.5 so I can standardize the SWD/JTAG development across all my boards (bare 1768 chips, lpcxpresso 1769 board, stm32f3discovery board, freescale frdm, and my two stellaris boards which will eventually show up). Seemed like a pretty good buy for $40-something shipped, is supported by OpenOCD, and is pretty flexible in functionality.

I have to say, once I got over the initial hump of looking over the 800 page user manual to figure out registers, this isn't really particularly more difficult than coding for anything else. I'm also talking about going directly to registers, so I'm not using any driver libraries which I imagine would make this nearly as easy as coding for Arduino or something. I don't claim to have any sort of extensive knowledge here yet, but it's definitely flowing a lot easier than I thought it would based on my initial headache of getting everything set up and running :)

Silver Alicorn
Mar 30, 2008

Martytoof posted:

I just realized TI sends out free samples of chips and such, so I picked up an MSP430 chip just to say I've played with one.

Don't forget to buy a LaunchPad for less than five freaking dollars shipped so you can program it, also it comes with two of the value line chips. I'm guessing you might have some kind of programmer already though.

Also be careful because a lot of the lowest-cost MSP430s just have a wimpy serial interface that only does SPI and I2C, so make sure it has UART/USCI if that's important to you.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh yeah I literally don't care much about the MSP, but I figured I'd breadboard it up and throw some code at it if I could figure it out given some spare time. Thanks for the info anyway though. I suppose if it really came down to it I could add some sort of UART->SPI bridge or just spend the five bucks for a better chip :haw:

I've still got two Launchpads on order from TI but they're not listed to ship until the 17th. My paypal authorization that I gave TI long since expired so I don't even know if they're going to process the order or anything. If they don't then I'm honestly not going to be too beat up over it. I'll just buy a few lpcxpresso boards instead. I'm not doing any DSP stuff that the M4 would excel at. Hell, I'm dead certain that all the core I'll write in the next year could comfortably run on some bargain basement AVR or something. M3 is probably overkill for what I'm doing, but I'm doing it more for the experience than the technical specs of the chip :)

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

what's my best bet for some dead simple data storage to interface with msp430, on the order of a couple mega bytes of data?

Blotto Skorzany
Nov 7, 2008

He's a PSoC, loose and runnin'
came the whisper from each lip
And he's here to do some business with
the bad ADC on his chip
bad ADC on his chiiiiip

peepsalot posted:

what's my best bet for some dead simple data storage to interface with msp430, on the order of a couple mega bytes of data?

There are a bunch of memory chips in that size range that you can talk to via SPI or I2C pretty easily. Whether it's best to go with EEPROM or flash or FRAM boils down to your requirements for write endurance, speed, cost etc

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I'm trying to use a teensy 3 with the fastspi library to drive some LED strips, but I'm not sure which pins on the teensy I should be using for the two signal lines (data and clock.) Possibly I'm just being daft, or not reading very well tonight, but so far, my goo-fu seems to be lacking. Anyone got any hints?

http://www.pjrc.com/teensy/pinout.html
http://code.google.com/p/fastspi/

e: Oh poo poo, I really am being daft. It's 19 for clock and 18 for data, isn't it? :downsgun:

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Man, that teensy 3 looks really nice after messing with msp430 launchpad these past few weeks. It has as much RAM as I have flash memory on this stupid thing. 512B RAM makes it the biggest pain in the rear end to try to read from SD card, especially since I can't find a non-SDHC card, and you can't do a partial read on a SDHC card. You have to read 512B at a time, and throw away half or more of the data since it won't fit.

I think I might have to try playing with that next after I wrap up my current project.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, I hopped on the teensy boat with the 2.0++, then somehow missed the 3.0 kickstarter, but bought a pinless one as soon as I found out they existed (because the pinned ones weren't in stock.) Finally got some header pins soldered on mine today, so far seems to be working great. The only thing that caught me off guard was that I spaced on it being USB micro rather than USB mini like its predecessors, so I had to wait a couple days on a cable from monoprice.

Be advised, you'll want to go here for the latest teensy-compatible arduino dev environment, since it's still in beta at the moment: http://forum.pjrc.com/forums/6-Announcements

e: I'm double-dumb tonight, it's those green pins on the pinout I want for my SPI stuff I think. I'm just having all kinds of brain farts tonight.

ee: Ah HA! Got it. Pin 13 and pin 11. I don't know why that was so hard. :P

Bad Munki fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Dec 10, 2012

SeXTcube
Jan 1, 2009

-

SeXTcube fucked around with this message at 21:20 on Mar 11, 2014

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Are you guys using the Teensy 3 with its own Arduino-like thing or are you using it with a standard ARM toolchain? I'm having a lot of fun working with my lpcxpresso board but the teensy looks hella tiny and fun too. The only downside is that I love debugging on chip so while I assume you can just break out the JTAG/SWD pins and run openocd, I'm not sure how that fits into the Arduino stack.

Unless I just have it back-asswards. There's not a lot of info on the Teensy 3 development toolchain compared to their AVR product.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

I use the arduino environment. The goal of the project is for it to be a drop-in replacement for the arduino, and run as an add-on to the arduino environment. It does pretty well at that, imho. Of course, as is true with an arduino, nothing's stopping you from hacking it up however you like, as long as you have the know-how.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Can someone help me understand how to choose a prescaler for a timer? I'm uncomfortably fuzzy on the whole concept. Why would I prescale a timer if I can have it run at a 1:1 peripheral clock? Is it just to cut down on processing time? Also if you want to count to X and you have a prescaler set to 1:2 or something, would you count to X/2 or still X and the counter would just increment itself by a scale of 1:2 every time?

This is probably a really dumb question that's answered in my LPC user manual but right now I'm not seeing it.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 05:21 on Dec 11, 2012

Victor
Jun 18, 2004

Martytoof posted:

Can someone help me understand how to choose a prescaler for a timer?
Do you want to count past the max value of the timer? Higher prescalars = longer time intervals that can be used without having to maintain additional bits of timer value somewhere else (which you'd update on timer overflows).

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh I hadn't even thought of that issue. That alone makes prescalers more sensible. Thanks!

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Martytoof posted:

Oh I hadn't even thought of that issue. That alone makes prescalers more sensible. Thanks!

There is a short series of AVR articles on hackaday which made prescalers "click" for me. The discussion of the timer/prescaler code is applicable to other chips as well. (There is a bunch of other useful info in the series, and I am just getting into this, so it was valuable to me to read the whole thing.)

If you want to read the prescaler bit: It is in the 3rd article in the series (here). Search for "Setting up the clock for use with interrupts" and read through his discussion of what the code is doing. He covers the prescaler configuration in nice detail.

robostac
Sep 23, 2009

Martytoof posted:

They can also be quite useful for making the counter / period values be in a certain unit (eg at 84mhz a prescaler of 84 means the counter will be in microseconds). We've got one of the 32 bit timers constantly running at this rate so the counter register can be directly used as a source for timestamps, and it avoids the overhead of having interrupts trigger to update variables. It can also be easier to understand a timer with a period of 1000 to trigger every millisecond instead of a period of 840000.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If I wanted to have my uC produce a lifelike sound instead of a harsh "BEEP" through a standard piezo speaker, what would be the best/simplest/cheapest way to implement something like that?

I just mean like a lifelike bell "*ding*" sound, not an mp3 or ringtone or anything like that so I think a full on SD card MP3 player circuit would be way overkill.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Martytoof posted:

If I wanted to have my uC produce a lifelike sound instead of a harsh "BEEP" through a standard piezo speaker, what would be the best/simplest/cheapest way to implement something like that?

I just mean like a lifelike bell "*ding*" sound, not an mp3 or ringtone or anything like that so I think a full on SD card MP3 player circuit would be way overkill.
Maybe just a simple waveform like sawtooth with a taper on the volume level over time?

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Yeah, just easing in and easing out your plain old waveform will do wonders for softening a tone. For a sort of "ding" sound ease in over, like, 1/10th of a second, and ease out using a log function for however long you want.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I was going to try to convert this to C:

http://hlt.media.mit.edu/?p=1963

But I think I'm going to go with your guys' suggestions of easing out of the waveform. I'm pretty sure I was overthinking the solution when this will likely make it sound less lovely in no time. Thanks!

I'm also not married to *ding*, it's just a neat sound my old Tektronix scope made and I thought it sounded really nice and alerted well without being SHRILL. If I can make a tone that doesn't make me want to cringe I think I'll consider it mission accomplished :)

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Dec 13, 2012

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

Martytoof posted:

There are also ICs for this sort of thing, although I will add the disclaimer that I have never used them. Something like this maybe?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

armorer posted:

There are also ICs for this sort of thing, although I will add the disclaimer that I have never used them. Something like this maybe?

I love reading about new ICs so I'll definitely check these out too, thanks! :)

PDP-1
Oct 12, 2004

It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood.

Martytoof posted:

Suppose you go back to the analog world for a second, where the circuit below produces a Vout signal like the one shown in the plot when the voltage source is a step function at t=0:

That output looks like a bell ringing at about 700Hz and decaying over about one second. You could apply that voltage to your speakers to get a 'natural' bell sound.

To get that signal output without needing any analog circuitry you can write down the analog circuit equations to solve for Vout in the time domain, then use the discrete step approximations of the time derivatives to get a step-update equation that looks like (*handwaves away a page of algebra*):

vp = (2*v0 - vn) + (vn - v0)*(dt/(R*C)) - (v0*dt*dt/L*C));;

where vp is the current value of Vout, v0 is the value Vout had on the last iteration, vn is the value Vout had two iterations ago, and dt is the time between iterations.

That probabally looks like a mess, but the code comes out to be pretty simple:
C# code:
        void Oscillate()
        {
            float vp = 1f;
            float v0 = 0f;
            float vn = 0f;
            float L = 5e-3f;
            float C = 10e-6f;
            float R = 10000f;
            float dt = 1e-5f;
            float t = 0f;
            float tMax = 1.0f;

while (t < tMax)
            {
                // shift the old values one notch backward in time
                vn = v0;
                v0 = vp;

// update the new values of vp and t
                vp = (2 * v0 - vn) + (vn - v0) * (dt / (R * C)) - (v0 * dt * dt / (L * C));
                t += dt;

// TODO: apply new value of vp to speaker output here
            }
        }
dumping the output of that code into Excel verifies that it gives the desired result:

You can mess with the initial value of vp, and the values of R,L,C, and dt to manipulate the sound pitch and decay duration.

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Did anyone here get in on the FreeSoC Kickstarter? It was funded a few months ago but I missed it. Actually I think I saw a link to it during the campaign, but didn't actually understand what it was at that point and just groaned about there being another arduino clone.

This thing looks pretty drat cool though. Basically this Cypress PSoC chip that it's based around has a bunch of super configurable peripherals where you can chain together all these things like analog mux, opamp buffers, DACs, etc, just from their snazzy free(of cost) dev tools. So you can customize the chip for whatever purpose you want.

I think I'm gonna have to pre-order one from their store even though the kickstarter rewards aren't scheduled to ship till Jan.

Tech Specs posted:

CPU
32-bit Arm Cortex M3
The Cortex M3 MCU in freeSoC offers DC to 67MHz Operation, 256KB Flash Memory, and 64KB SRAM, more than enough for your most complex projects. Hardware multiply and divide operations ensure you'll never be limited by your microcontroller's capabilities.

A graphically configurable external memory interface allows you to expand the storage of your device with up to 1GB of external memory, directly mapped in the 4GB address space of the Cortex M3.
Analog

Dual SAR ADCs
Dual 12-bit, 700ksps SAR ADCs offer unparalleled speed in conversion, even for the most demanding applications

Delta Sigma ADC
The onboard Delta Sigma ADC can be used at any resolution from 20 bits to 8 bits. At 20 bits of resolution, it offers 180 sps, useful for thermocouples or strain gauges. At 16 bits, it will convert at 48000 sps, perfect for audio applications. At 8 bits, it will convert at 384ksps, almost equaling the SAR ADC in conversion speed.

Quad 8-bit DACs
Quad 5.5Msps IDACs allow for extremely fast, extremely precise digital to analog conversion. IDACs can be configured as current sources or current sinks. Alternatively, you can configure them as voltage DACs, for a speed of 1Msps on each DAC.

Quad Comparators
Four built in comparators can be routed to any analog component.

Quad Rail-to-Rail OpAmps
Four OpAmps, spec'd at 3MHz GBW and 10mA drive, can be used to buffer any incoming analog signal, or you can directly connect them to external components in your design. OpAmp outputs can be used through dedicated pins for full current capability, or routed to any internal signal or external pin on the freeSoC.

CapSense
Capacitive Sensing on all GPIO, Sliders, Buttons, and more. Cypress in a leader in capacitive sensing technology, and provides a built in auto-configuration utility, so you can easily implement your capacitive sensing design without the headache of manually configuring the sensitivity.

Quad Multifunction Analog Blocks
These multifunction analog blocks can be configured as programmable gain amplifier, transimpedance amplifier, or for sample and hold. Need a precision current measurement from your photodiode? Just plug it straight into freeSoC, run it through a transimpedance amplifier, pump up the gain with a PGA, and use your delta-sigma ADC for a 20-bit conversion.

Advanced I/O Routing Network
Route any analog peripheral to any GPIO pin on freeSoC. Use your freeSoC as a 32 channel analog multiplexer. Or a 16-channel differential mux. Inputs and outputs both can be routed to any GPIO on the PSoC.

All GPIO can be configured as high-impedance analog, high-impedance digital, open drain (both source and sink configurations), resistive pull up, resistive pull down, or strong drive.
Digital

24 PLD based Universal Digital Blocks (UDBs)
These are the heart of freeSoC's digital flexibility. Can be configured graphically with built in components like PWM, SPI, I2C, LIN, CAN, SPDIF, I2S, Quadrature Decoders, Counters, CRC, and standard digital logic gates.

OR, roll your own components with verilog, tie them into your block diagram like any other component, and get hardware-accelerated speed for your custom digital application. It's like having a built-in FPGA without all the hassle of having an FPGA.

Full Speed USB
A full speed USB transceiver is built in to freeSoC. Graphically configure your USB endpoint and device descriptors. PSoC Creator has built in support for Audio Descriptors, HID, MIDI, UART, and more. Don't waste your time reading the USB spec, just drag and drop and you're done. freeSoC has a built in 24MHz oscillator for full USB compliance.

Built-in Timer, PWM, and Counter Components
In addition to the flexible UDBs, freeSoC has four dedicated 16-bit counter/timer blocks, and four dedicated 16-bit PWM blocks. These can be used without using any of the UDB blocks, and can also be routed to any pin on the freeSoC.

Real-time Clock
The freeSoC includes a real-time clock crystal running at 32.768kHz. Use this with the built-in RTC component in PSoC Creator to instantly create a digital clock, with built-in methods for generating year/month/day/hour/minute/second data.

DMA
PSoC Creator lets you configure DMA channels graphically. You can use any digital signal as a trigger for a DMA request, and totally bypass the CPU bottleneck for ultra-high bandwidth applications.

Special I/O
Each board has 8 special I/O pins that can be used for high-current drive applications.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I got my Stellaris finally. Ugh, the thing uses a loving Micro-USB connector. Now I need to have one of those handy.

I'm thinking about replacing it myself with a mini-A port but I know I'd probably just gently caress up the board.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

peepsalot posted:

Did anyone here get in on the FreeSoC Kickstarter? It was funded a few months ago but I missed it. Actually I think I saw a link to it during the campaign, but didn't actually understand what it was at that point and just groaned about there being another arduino clone.

This thing looks pretty drat cool though. Basically this Cypress PSoC chip that it's based around has a bunch of super configurable peripherals where you can chain together all these things like analog mux, opamp buffers, DACs, etc, just from their snazzy free(of cost) dev tools. So you can customize the chip for whatever purpose you want.

I think I'm gonna have to pre-order one from their store even though the kickstarter rewards aren't scheduled to ship till Jan.

Totally missed it, but it does look pretty slick, and I think it'll be fine for hobbyist/etc use. The configurable blocks are pretty slick; need a ton of PWM for motor control? No problem! gently caress ton of SPI/I2C for weird reasons? Still good!

Paging Otto to this thread to rant about how the PSoC has screwed him over repeatedly (though I think he was having problems with a specific version).

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

movax posted:

Totally missed it, but it does look pretty slick, and I think it'll be fine for hobbyist/etc use. The configurable blocks are pretty slick; need a ton of PWM for motor control? No problem! gently caress ton of SPI/I2C for weird reasons? Still good!

Paging Otto to this thread to rant about how the PSoC has screwed him over repeatedly (though I think he was having problems with a specific version).

I'm kinda dreaming right now of turning one of these into a automotive engine controller.

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

movax posted:

I'm not Otto but I have had some experience with the PSoC line. I think this is pretty cool, although I haven't worked with the PSoC5 before, only the PSoC1 and PSoC3. PSoC3 uses the same software, and honestly I think that software is pretty darn good. It takes a little getting used to, but it's pretty well documented and once you do get used to it it's really very nice most of the time. The configurable blocks stuff works well as long as you don't try to really push the limits of what it can do - they don't provide any kind of easy to use list of internal resources in use so unless you're specifically keeping an eye on it, it'll suddenly go from hunky-dory to "Oops, I'm not gonna compile anymore and here's an obscure error message for you!" Once you get to that level, you kind of have to pull up the data sheet and get comfy with the internal silicon to optimize your design, which can be... annoying. But most hobbyists shouldn't run into that problem, I think, as the PSoC5 has a poo poo ton of internal stuff.

I've heard that the analog components in the PSoC5 aren't so hot. In the PSoC3, they were pretty good for what they were. Certainly usable, at least if you paid attention to the app notes and didn't use that fancy internal routing to shove your high-precision ADC input line through the middle of your digital logic section. Although even with the PSoC3, Cyrpess had a worrying tendency to not provide important details of their analog components - as an anecdote, the internal op-amps had something like maximum output current, input range, and approximate bandwidth provided, which is nowhere near enough information for certain uses. They ended up being really quite good op-amps, but they just didn't give any information about them in the datasheets.

On top of that, I've heard the PSoC5's analog stuff is pretty bad. I'm sure for most hobbyists it'll be fine as long as you're not expecting to get all 20 bits out of that ADC, for example. It'll be fantastic for digital stuff though at least, I'll probably pick one up at some point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zuph
Jul 24, 2003
Zupht0r 6000 Turbo Type-R

Martytoof posted:

I got my Stellaris finally. Ugh, the thing uses a loving Micro-USB connector. Now I need to have one of those handy.

I'm thinking about replacing it myself with a mini-A port but I know I'd probably just gently caress up the board.

Mine came with a micro-USB cable.

• Locked thread