Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Metroixer
Apr 25, 2009

maddecent

Simply Simon posted:

After having LP'd Donkey Kong Land, I've contemplated ever since to do the sequel as a blind LP. I know the big brother (DKC2) by heart, generally how Donkey Kong works, had almost zero trouble with DKL itself, and it's a platformer where you go from left to right, what can go wrong? It's not like it's a romhack that would force me to spend 2 hours on a 3-minute-level until I could do that one jump (every jump is that one jump).

A really simple game at heart wouldn't need an experienced co-commentator is what I'm saying. You can't get lost in a jump&run.

Fair warning, Donkey Kong Land 2 is a lot different from the SNES game and gets a lot of difficulty through weird game design and technical issues. I would not recommend lping it blind even if you can play Country 2 blindfolded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

DStecks posted:

COMING SOON

etc

A very minor point, but it's a bit difficult to read the text over the stark white/black background here. Do you maybe have a more homogeneously colored background you could use for these video buttons?

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Mzbundifund posted:

A very minor point, but it's a bit difficult to read the text over the stark white/black background here. Do you maybe have a more homogeneously colored background you could use for these video buttons?

I think I might blur the background image, it would achieve the same thing.

ruttivendolo
Oct 31, 2010

by elpintogrande

Zain posted:

Phantom Dust

If you've already played the game then I'd suggest to talk over cutscenes for this one: the first video had a looooong intro and the rest was all textextextext. The ambient music and soothing voices makes me all sleepy.

If you could share some insights overall It would be better (maybe bring someone for co-commentary? Someone who didn't play the game so he could ask you questions and make the whole thing more dynamic\interesting).

The minutage is fine, try for the sake of us viewers to not to go over 20-25 minutes. Go crazy with fades and dissolves.

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

DStecks posted:

I would use autoducking, but I don't think Fraps supports it.

Are you not recording your commentary separately?

quick edit: I don't mean in post, I mean to a different file

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

DStecks posted:

The reason why there wasn't much of the design history stuff in the first video is because I wanted it to be more of an introduction to the game itself, to provide a foundation for the later design stuff. I didn't get much into why I hate the game because explaining all the ways in which Nightfire fails on a design level is going to be the meat of the LP, and I don't want to tip my hand too early.

Nightfire does not have widescreen, as far as I can tell. Fraps recorded it at 1080p because that's my monitor's resolution.

Autoducking is a feature in Audacity, not Fraps. And regarding the resolution, does Nightfire not have it's own resolution settings? Because normally Fraps records the game's resolution and not your monitor's resolution. Not really sure though if the PC port of the game is weird, but it's definitely something you should be able to control.

Regarding your commentary, you have to draw people in early with your commentary. If your plan is to go into your actual point past the first video then you're going to need to keep people interested for the first. My first take on your commentary is that very first sentence and subsequently you pointing out that the plot was poo poo.

Also skipped around in your second mission video and you've got some odd encoding issues going on at like 13:16. And commentary going 'gently caress, gently caress, poo poo, poo poo, gently caress, gently caress' and reloading stupid, simple deaths is super dull to watch unless it's funny.

MeccaPrime
May 11, 2010

DStecks posted:

Recording your commentary track separate from your game audio track is just a best practice whether you're doing live or post commentary. That way you can do these things with something like Audacity (recommended).

e; well, poo poo... beaten twice by a new page!

Maybe to add content: if anyone is hankering for another race through a game sort of thing with an interesting twist, I'm holding a race through BS Zelda: Ancient Stone Tablets in my ongoing thread. Sign up lasts until the weekend where I will then divide up the teams. Details in this post.

MeccaPrime fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Dec 4, 2012

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Spiffo posted:

Are you not recording your commentary separately?

quick edit: I don't mean in post, I mean to a different file

No, I'm just using Fraps to record my commentary. I don't have to worry about sync issues, but I understand that it means that if I mess up the commentary I need to totally re-record. For Nightfire I can accept that, since it's a really short game with frequent load screens I can use to hide edits.

Niggurath posted:

Autoducking is a feature in Audacity, not Fraps. And regarding the resolution, does Nightfire not have it's own resolution settings? Because normally Fraps records the game's resolution and not your monitor's resolution. Not really sure though if the PC port of the game is weird, but it's definitely something you should be able to control.

I thought that was kinda weird too, since Fraps shows up in the corner of the play window while I'm recording, not my monitor, but it still records 1080p. It might be because I'm running the game fullscreen?

Niggurath posted:

Regarding your commentary, you have to draw people in early with your commentary. If your plan is to go into your actual point past the first video then you're going to need to keep people interested for the first. My first take on your commentary is that very first sentence and subsequently you pointing out that the plot was poo poo.

This is something I was concerned with, and I'm prepared to re-do the first mission if you think it's a major issue. My goal was to be both informative and humorous, which was why I opened the first video like that after a super-serious introduction video. Did you watch my introduction? I'm curious because you seem to be implying that you didn't.

Niggurath posted:

Also skipped around in your second mission video and you've got some odd encoding issues going on at like 13:16.

That appears to be a YouTube issue, since the encoding problems aren't present in the raw video. I'll re-upload.

Niggurath posted:

And commentary going 'gently caress, gently caress, poo poo, poo poo, gently caress, gently caress' and reloading stupid, simple deaths is super dull to watch unless it's funny.

The "gently caress poo poo gently caress" is my attempt to be funny. I'm trying to create a humorous contrast between contemplative commentary and expletive-inducing frustration, and if it's falling flat I'll try something else.

I consider 15:17 - 19:30 in the second video to be basically what I'm aiming for in terms of commentary. I really feel like I hit a sweet spot there, and I would like to know your thoughts on it, since I'm probably going to be re-recording the first two missions to be more like that.

EDIT: Also, here's the revised version of the chapter headers:

DStecks fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Dec 4, 2012

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

DStecks posted:

No, I'm just using Fraps to record my commentary. I don't have to worry about sync issues, but I understand that it means that if I mess up the commentary I need to totally re-record. For Nightfire I can accept that, since it's a really short game with frequent load screens I can use to hide edits.

It's still generally a good idea to record it to a different file. It makes it easier to touch up (the re-recording issue) as well as making it easier to resolve any volume issues, like if a game suddenly gets really loud or quiet.

Some people use auto-ducking to fix the game/commentary audio balance, I prefer to do it be hand myself. Either way, it requires the game audio and your commentary to be on different tracks. They're not hard to sync if you leave an easy point of reference (I count down and then push a button).

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

I have since the latest Steam sale been toying with the idea to start a collective Let's try thread. We've had a few of these before and the basic concept has always been to try a game you haven't played before and see how long you can keep going. Either until you die or you get bored. This idea is fine but I think we can do better, we can make it bigger and we can make it better.

More importantly I think we should skip the 3 month rule for this, I have run this past slowbeef and gotten the go ahead to void the 3 month rule for a Let's try thread. But before I start up the thread and post videos I want to run it past everyone else to get some more feedback. I'm sure there are things I might have missed and should be sorted out before we launch this. Here are the basic rules for the thread as I see them right now.

1) Only one video per game, if you want to show off more go make a proper LP.
2) No AAA titles, don't use the thread as a place for quick look videos of recent well known releases.
3) Write a proper fact blurb for each game, like a mini OP. Where to find it, what it cost, why you want to try it and all that.

My reason for each rule:

1) This isn't a place to show of more than a first try, I hope that some games might spawn a full LP, but they should not go in a Let's try thread.
2) This should probably be worded better, but what I'm after with this rule is that the thread should not serve as an excuse to post say Far Cry 3 videos just because there's no 3 month rule. I personally reckon that older AAA games should be fine, but honestly I'd rather see people try weird and/or lovely games than Modern Warfare 3.
3) This should make it easier for me to keep a nice collection of videos for the OP, but also make sure that people just don't post a video link and then leave the thread. My hope is that people put up the same effort for a single video as the would for a single video in a regular LP.

That's pretty much it, comment and feel free to reword rule suggestion so that they are clearer or add you own.

Oh and plan some videos for the thread :D

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

I am so up for this kind of thread.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

cKnoor posted:

More importantly I think we should skip the 3 month rule for this, I have run this past slowbeef and gotten the go ahead to void the 3 month rule for a Let's try thread.

On one hand I think this is a good idea, on the other hand, I'm a little concerned and think maybe you should give the game 1 month at least. This way we don't get a giant pile of people wanting to show off playing the new game.
Granted, this is partially overlapped with your "No AAA games" rule, but I think some token time should be placed. This should be getting a chance to see a game you haven't played before, not a game you've been excited to be released.

Either way, that's my two cents. I'd be interested in this megathread to see what comes out of it.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

So, are we allowed to do older games, like some SNES or GBA titles? Because I know there are some games there I want to show off (mostly Japanese ones with English patches), but I just want to make sure that this would be the right thread for it. From how it sounded (to me at least), you wanted more modern titles.

I also really like this idea, since I'm interested in doing a VLP and I think this'll be a very cool learning experience.

Dithiannim
Nov 8, 2012

Deleted for cleanliness.

Dithiannim fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Dec 5, 2012

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

I think this is a fabulous idea. The single video limit works with the inherent psuedo-blind nature. I am looking forward to this, and might even contribute. Got lots of Steam games I've never played,

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

Question: Let's say I want to try something from a genre I am not good at. Would I be able to ask in the thread for someone experienced with the genre to co-comment with me.

It's not going to happen for a while, but I do want in on this. I do find many strange games on the net and I've been looking for a chance to play them and praise/scorn them.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Leavemywife posted:

So, are we allowed to do older games, like some SNES or GBA titles? Because I know there are some games there I want to show off (mostly Japanese ones with English patches), but I just want to make sure that this would be the right thread for it. From how it sounded (to me at least), you wanted more modern titles.

I also really like this idea, since I'm interested in doing a VLP and I think this'll be a very cool learning experience.

I would like to see all types of games, last time we did this is was in fact mostly older NES and SNES titles. I should reword it for the thread so that fact is clearer. It's open to any game as long as it's not a newer AAA title. You just can't do more than one video for a game, so it's not a substitute for Short game theater.

Krysmphoenix posted:

On one hand I think this is a good idea, on the other hand, I'm a little concerned and think maybe you should give the game 1 month at least. This way we don't get a giant pile of people wanting to show off playing the new game.
Granted, this is partially overlapped with your "No AAA games" rule, but I think some token time should be placed. This should be getting a chance to see a game you haven't played before, not a game you've been excited to be released.

I feel like any limit would just hinder, if someone find a weird game on Steam I don't want to force that person to check release date to make sure that it's "safe". I'd rather just have them make a video. I don't minid people showing of new games as long as they are not big release. If it's fun/lovely/weird go ahead and try it.

I also reckon that if someone for some reason would try and use the thread to show of a new big title the thread would be at least a bit self policing and call them out on it.

Yonic Symbolism posted:

Question: Let's say I want to try something from a genre I am not good at. Would I be able to ask in the thread for someone experienced with the genre to co-comment with me.

It's not going to happen for a while, but I do want in on this. I do find many strange games on the net and I've been looking for a chance to play them and praise/scorn them.

If you want, but I would just go for it and try it alone, if it's poo poo and boring then don't post it and just ask for help. But I mean it's called Let's Try for a reason.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Krysmphoenix posted:

Either way, that's my two cents. I'd be interested in this megathread to see what comes out of it.

There are plenty of games that are older than the last little while. Hell I've got some untouched poo poo in my steam library that I'd be willing to take a shot at.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

I feel stupid. Turns out Nightfire can run natively in 1080p. Good thing I had already decided to redo the missions.

frozentreasure
Nov 13, 2012

~

So anyone can post in the thread with their single video and it'd be added as a link to the OP, or people would just scroll through the pages for each video?

In any case, this sounds like an awesome idea. I've got some 400 games I haven't played, mostly for unreasonable reasons, so I'm sure I could find one or two.

Saradiart
Dec 13, 2009

OPENING MY TAI CHI IS ABOUT AS APPEALING AS THE GOATMAN OPENING HIS ANUS

Zain posted:

Phantom Dust

I would legitimately pay about 1,000 dollars for a Phantom Dust port to the PC or something of that sort. Literally the most fun I've ever had in a video game.

As for actual technical support, I would recommend doing screenshots for the plot shenanigans and videos for the actual stages.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Saradiart posted:

I would legitimately pay about 1,000 dollars for a Phantom Dust port to the PC or something of that sort. Literally the most fun I've ever had in a video game.

As for actual technical support, I would recommend doing screenshots for the plot shenanigans and videos for the actual stages.

That's also a thing I was thinking about doing too.

Zannosuke
Sep 10, 2010
This sounds pretty cool. I got a game off of Steam a few days ago I'm willing to show off.

Also, if no one has any objections to the updated version the video I posted about 2-3 pages ago (link here), I'll go ahead and start my Ape Escape thread.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
I'm not even sure I'll really have the time to do a thread for this until maybe May (if I'm wrong and I do, then that's a nice bonus). As is, I can at least prepare some stuff now. Don't want to do too much of that and have it all turn out terrible though, so...

999: Nine Hours, Nine Persons, Nine Doors (or 999 for short) is a visual novel/adventure game for the Nintendo DS in late 2009 and 2010. It was developed by Chunsoft which might sound odd, as the other thing you potentially know them for is Pokemon Mystery Dungeon. Quite a mood whiplash there, huh? It was praised for, and I quote, "competent game writing for once." I don't necessarily agree with that, but you'll see why eventually.

As for the game itself, well it's mostly a visual novel so it has lots and lots of words. Some of the talking bits can get incredibly long on their own merit, but there's also occasional breaks in that for some proper gameplay. Namely puzzle solving in a giant room, wherein you find things that help you try and leave it. If that sounds remotely familiar, you've probably played a flash game in the past 12 years or so. Unlike many of those "escape the room!" games, though, this one is actually fun to solve the puzzles for and there's plenty of incidental dialogue to find too. Some of it is boring and not worth looking at, but there's some gems in there that's rather easy to miss if you're not looking for them.

Despite what I said about the "cutscenes" though, the game as a whole is not necessarily all that long, but it does have a pretty good degree of replayability in that it has 6 possible endings. Which ones you get are determined by a few clear choices you're presented with throughout the game. I won't necessarily be getting all 6, because that's kind of not even remotely necessary but for the first run through, or two, I'll be leaving which one we get in the hands of the readers.

Oh, and there's a sequel for the 3DS and Playstation Vita. Naturally, talking about that is kind of going to be rife with spoilers so :siren: don't do that! (this also applies to all things spoiler related, even hinting at it or any "oh man this next part is crazy!" nonsense, okay thanks.):siren:

Update 02

--

Second post'll be character info and other stuff (documents, tutorials etc.) we get throughout the game that's relevant.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

cKnoor posted:

I have since the latest Steam sale been toying with the idea to start a collective Let's try thread. We've had a few of these before and the basic concept has always been to try a game you haven't played before and see how long you can keep going. Either until you die or you get bored. This idea is fine but I think we can do better, we can make it bigger and we can make it better.

More importantly I think we should skip the 3 month rule for this, I have run this past slowbeef and gotten the go ahead to void the 3 month rule for a Let's try thread. But before I start up the thread and post videos I want to run it past everyone else to get some more feedback. I'm sure there are things I might have missed and should be sorted out before we launch this. Here are the basic rules for the thread as I see them right now.

1) Only one video per game, if you want to show off more go make a proper LP.
2) No AAA titles, don't use the thread as a place for quick look videos of recent well known releases.
3) Write a proper fact blurb for each game, like a mini OP. Where to find it, what it cost, why you want to try it and all that.

My reason for each rule:

1) This isn't a place to show of more than a first try, I hope that some games might spawn a full LP, but they should not go in a Let's try thread.
2) This should probably be worded better, but what I'm after with this rule is that the thread should not serve as an excuse to post say Far Cry 3 videos just because there's no 3 month rule. I personally reckon that older AAA games should be fine, but honestly I'd rather see people try weird and/or lovely games than Modern Warfare 3.
3) This should make it easier for me to keep a nice collection of videos for the OP, but also make sure that people just don't post a video link and then leave the thread. My hope is that people put up the same effort for a single video as the would for a single video in a regular LP.

That's pretty much it, comment and feel free to reword rule suggestion so that they are clearer or add you own.

Oh and plan some videos for the thread :D

I like this idea, as it feels like a mixture of the De-Evolution Thread and Short Game Theater.

Beefed Owl
Sep 13, 2007

Come at me scrub-lord I'm ripped!
I like the idea of the Let's Try thread. Been meaning to try out Mark of the Ninja, and feel this is a perfect excuse. Really interested in seeing what people will play, so hell yeah.

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Ability: Shadow Tag

We are also able to submit mini-SSLPs for this thread, right?

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

DStecks posted:

This is why you hate CoD: Let's Play 007 Nightfire (PC version)

Jumped into the second video to comment. First things first: Edit out the loading screen. Game looks a bit blurry but that might just be the game since it's from 02?

Audio levels are pretty good. Considering what you're planning on commenting on, I think you should do post commentary. It's very jarring to hear you stop mid-sentence cause you got focused on shooting some one.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I might try doing a video or two for the Let's Try thread. I've got a variety of games that I bought but never played, that could be fun to try out.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Volume posted:

Jumped into the second video to comment. First things first: Edit out the loading screen.

The loading screens put you in a whole new area, so editing it would produce a random jump cut. Wouldn't that be more jarring?

Volume posted:

Game looks a bit blurry but that might just be the game since it's from 02?

The cutscenes are blurry as hell; they're stored unencrypted in the game directory and they aren't even 800x600 resolution, so yeah, stretching that to 1080p looks like rear end. As for the gameplay, I'm recording at 30FPS, so the footage is noticeably jankier than when I was playing. Please tell me if you believe this is an issue, because I'm willing to change; though I'm currently hesitant to double the size of my already giant Fraps recordings when YouTube, my primary host, doesn't even support higher frame rates.

Volume posted:

Audio levels are pretty good. Considering what you're planning on commenting on, I think you should do post commentary. It's very jarring to hear you stop mid-sentence cause you got focused on shooting some one.

I think I am probably going to wind up doing post-commentary. There's no real reason not to, beyond me being unreasonably in love with the idea of contrasting in-depth commentary on the nature and history of game design with "Oh gently caress I'm getting shot!" reactions. My only hesitation is that I do feel that pre-commentary enhances some of the points I'm trying to make, like the second video's bit about the drawbacks of non-regenerating health.

That said, even if I continue to employ pre-commentary, I'm pretty sure I'm going to plan out most of my commentary beforehand, to ensure that I communicate everything I mean to.

gameface
Nov 23, 2007

Dragonatrix posted:

LP Testpost of 999

I'd like to see you play this, especially after the other one got abandoned. However, I think you still have your Layton series LP ongoing with no posts from anyone in almost a month. I'd like to at the very least see the first game get finished if possible. Did you forget about the LP or did something happen?
EDIT: Added a link to the thread because at this point it's probably on page 20 or something in the LP Forum now.

gameface fucked around with this message at 07:32 on Dec 5, 2012

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Dragonatrix posted:

999 Test post

I know slowbeef was planning on doing this soon (pretty sure he said December), and some other guy was also doing a test post for it.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

whitehelm posted:

I know slowbeef was planning on doing this soon (pretty sure he said December), and some other guy was also doing a test post for it.

Slowbeef's kind of going back and forth with it.

At one point in November, he said he'd be way too busy to do it, but then a few days ago he said he really wants to do it again.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
And there's nothin' in the rules about having two LPs of the same game going at once, so they could both do it.

whitehelm
Apr 20, 2008

Leavemywife posted:

And there's nothin' in the rules about having two LPs of the same game going at once, so they could both do it.

Technically yes, it's not against the rules, but it's a visual novel. 90% of the content would be identical.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

gameface posted:

Did you forget about the LP or did something happen?

No, no, nothing happened. I just haven't had much time to write anything non-academic in a while, and what time I did have I used more for non-LP stuff more than anything else. :v:

I'm definitely going to finish Curious Village, since it's very close to being done anyway and I have all the content more or less prepared already (just not the "writing it" part). Don't have much of an intention to do the other two immediately afterwards, because otherwise a gap of nothing like that would happen more than the twice it has done as-is.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

DStecks posted:

The loading screens put you in a whole new area, so editing it would produce a random jump cut. Wouldn't that be more jarring?

Just how abrupt is the transition without the loading screen? Is it something that could be fixed with a simple FadeIn/FadeOut or Dissolve function?

quote:

I think I am probably going to wind up doing post-commentary. There's no real reason not to, beyond me being unreasonably in love with the idea of contrasting in-depth commentary on the nature and history of game design with "Oh gently caress I'm getting shot!" reactions. My only hesitation is that I do feel that pre-commentary enhances some of the points I'm trying to make, like the second video's bit about the drawbacks of non-regenerating health.

That said, even if I continue to employ pre-commentary, I'm pretty sure I'm going to plan out most of my commentary beforehand, to ensure that I communicate everything I mean to.

I think you running around going "oh poo poo I'm getting shot," would get old. Fast. Mind, you can still say stuff like that if you do it in post. And I don't see how talking about the drawbacks of non-regenerating health would work any worse in post. It all depends on the style you're going for.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

Slippery Tilde

Thwack! posted:

We are also able to submit mini-SSLPs for this thread, right?

I f you think you can capture the feeling of bewilderment go right a head. You can pretty much do whatever type of LP you want. You just can do more than one update.

frozentreasure posted:

So anyone can post in the thread with their single video and it'd be added as a link to the OP, or people would just scroll through the pages for each video?

In any case, this sounds like an awesome idea. I've got some 400 games I haven't played, mostly for unreasonable reasons, so I'm sure I could find one or two.

That's pretty much the plan, anyone can post a video and I'll add it to the OP.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010

cKnoor posted:

If you think you can capture the feeling of bewilderment go right a head. You can pretty much do whatever type of LP you want. You just can do more than one update.
May want to use the SSLP Test poster for this then so it doesn't take up all the space. Mixing SSLPs and VLPs in the same thread generally doesn't work well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Here's a revised version of the first mission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4o_KJHWacQ

Thoughts? This won't be the final version, but do you guys think this is more a step in the right direction?

• Locked thread