Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snix
Aug 31, 2012

After the war of great troll, he only stands. He now returns to the legendary city to seek revenge on the death of his village. Episode 1: "Legendary School Girl Bubble Gum! Will Senpai Notice Me!?"

Undead Unicorn posted:

I'm on level 35 and in Void Quest, how the hell are you in your 70's. I didn't even max out a social link yet.
I... er... maxed out two...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
How the hell do you get to Level 70 by the Fourth Dungeon? Seriously, unless you're on Very Easy difficulty and grinding for Treasure Hands, that's just scary. Also, it's gonna be a pain in the rear end getting through the opening on multiple playthroughs even with scene skipping.

pyromance
Sep 25, 2006

Boten Anna posted:

I did that dungeon in one (long) day and fought a stupid amount of golden hands and came out the other end at level 45.

Even so, 45 isn't exactly that over-leveled for the end of the dungeon, but 70 most certainly is. Isn't level factored in to how much damage you receive/give pretty heavily, also? That just seems like it'd make the rest of the game even easier than it already is.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

I'm loving the art with commentary extra.

I hope they have some drafts of the shadows beacuse I love their designs.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Just beat the final boss I think? Adachi and stupid rainbow eyeball

I picked up all the persona's people suggested, fused lvl 80 persona's etc... and they still couldn't beat Black Frost. Here's this fire amp Kaguya doing 100 damage oh what's that Black Frost is doing 600 to the bosses?

Maybe I just fed him a poo poo ton of cards without really realizing it, oh well.

DeathBySpoon
Dec 17, 2007

I got myself a paper clip!
I'm almost done with the dungeon after that on Hard and I'm level 45 :effort:

^^^ Keep going, there's more. Look at my post two pages ago if you want to get the true end.

DeathBySpoon fucked around with this message at 04:27 on Dec 5, 2012

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Treasure Hands aren't hard to find and it's pretty easy to get Megidolaon by evolving Megido through Magician cards (which I got by the third dungeon). I'm at level 68 after the fifth dungeon on Hard and I feel really overleveled.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!
Serious suggestion for newbies: If you DON'T want to end up overleveled, you really just have to flat out ignore the treasure hands. Kill em once or twice in a dungeon if you really want but just let the rest of them go. It's easy, they don't even charge at you! I've been doing this for my second cycle and it's kept the difficulty curve a bit more reasonable so far.

Stealthed Zombie
Dec 21, 2007

And Introducing:
Dean "Titty Master" Ambrose
So this is my first time playing P4. I'm finally at the part where you can actually, you know, play the game. I'm getting stomped pretty hard on the like third floor of the first dungeon (WHAT THE gently caress IS A POSITIVE KING?), but this is just the first real day I could choose what to do.

So when you grind in this game, do you just grind XP until you run out of healing items completely? Or should I just hang in there and try to get as many levels out of it I can? Like is there a good rule of thumb for when you're "done" grinding for that day? I plan on doing some more S.Link stuff the next day.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
You're basically limited by your SP since you'll likely be doing more damage with magic exploiting weaknesses.

Your options are also really limited until after beating the first dungeon since you don't have much means of replenishing HP/SP beyond items. A good rule of thumb is just exit when you've run out of SP since there really isn't much need to grind in the game.

Later on you can very easily clear out a dungeon in one day, if you want to maximize time for your SLinks.

Hamsterlady
Jul 8, 2010

Corpse Party, bitches.

Stealthed Zombie posted:

So this is my first time playing P4. I'm finally at the part where you can actually, you know, play the game. I'm getting stomped pretty hard on the like third floor of the first dungeon (WHAT THE gently caress IS A POSITIVE KING?), but this is just the first real day I could choose what to do.

So when you grind in this game, do you just grind XP until you run out of healing items completely? Or should I just hang in there and try to get as many levels out of it I can? Like is there a good rule of thumb for when you're "done" grinding for that day? I plan on doing some more S.Link stuff the next day.

If you want to get as much out of your day as possible, grind until you're totally out of SP. But if you're sick of being in the dungeon and you want to go do Social Links, but you still have SP left, just leave and don't worry too much about it.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh, and I did a bit of digging into the dates the Jester link is available, if anyone is interested:
code:
May: 13 (F), 20 (F), 23 (M), 27 (F), 30 (M)
June: 5 (Sun), 10 (F), 11 (Sat), 15 (W, Night only), 26 (Sun), 28 (Tue)
July: 2 (Sat), 4 (M), 5 (Tue), 12 (Tue), 14 (Thu), 24 (Sun), 25 (M)
August: 25 (Thu)
September: 1 (Sat), 19 (M), 20 (Tue), 21 (W), 23 (F), 24 (Sat), 27 (Tue), 30 (F)
October: 6 (Thu), 12 (W), 21 (F), 24 (M), 26 (W)
November: 1 (Tue)
These may be day or night depending on what rank you're on and may be unavailable for various plot reasons.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Tips for newbies to the Persona 3/4 battle systems:

1. First time you enter a new area and begin fighting monsters, have your party members use their elemental skills to find out what the enemy is weak to. At the beginning of the game, you'll have Yosuke gusting with Garu, Chie bashing with Bufu, and Main Character zapping with Zio.
2. Use the weaknesses to knock down each enemy. When all enemies are on their knees, your party can perform an All Out Attack. Massive damage, but then the enemies will regain their footing... if they survive.
3. You can also knock down enemies and then continually hit their weak spot to make them Dizzy. When an enemy is Dizzy, they lose their turn in their disoriented state. It's essentially a stun maneuver, very useful in certain strategies when you're fighting very powerful enemies.
4. SP is king. There are tons of ways to regain SP, especially in P4G. After battle, "Cups" cards can recover a limited amount of HP&SP, but they are not always reliable at the beginning of the game. The new SOS system is great for regaining some SP at the start of each battle. Various items found in treasure chests and locked chests can recover SP as well: Soul Snuff, Chewing Soul, Soul Food... A few others I can't think of. If it's got "Soul," it'll probably heal up some SP. The vending machines in Inaba's shopping district sell lots of drinks. They're pretty cheap- 120 yen each, I think. I believe they recover 5SP when they're used. It's an option to stock up on them, if you really want more SP. Finally, Personas themselves eventually can gain powers to regenerate SP. "Invigorate" is a useful skill worth keeping as soon as you can find it on a persona.
5. Keep fusing personas. If you're not fusing a ton of personas at random intervals, you're not doing something right. A big part of finding strategies is stumbling upon new moves that turn up from Persona fusions.

There are plenty of other strategies people could add, I'm sure. I would love to see what other people prefer to do when they're setting up.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah some of those October dates are night only but rank 6 is daytime. I ended up getting him to 6 on the last possible day.

You need to have Jester at 6 by the last day and the rest is automatic.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

The Grimace posted:

Tips for newbies to the Persona 3/4 battle systems:

3. You can also knock down enemies and then continually hit their weak spot to make them Dizzy. When an enemy is Dizzy, they lose their turn in their disoriented state. It's essentially a stun maneuver, very useful in certain strategies when you're fighting very powerful enemies.

Something important I'd mention about this, is that when enemies are Down or Dizzy, they can't dodge physical or magic attacks. It can sometimes be more effective to down a big enemy and then unload a lot of damage onto them instead of going straight for the all-out attack, especially if you know the AOA won't actually finish them off.

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.

Pollyanna posted:

This is also a shameful question, how does a Persona's stats affect damage dealt/taken? What's the difference between armor defense, hit points, and En? Does Lu affect critical hits? How does Ag improve Hit/Ev, if at all? What do the attributes determine, specifically?

Your two big defensive stats are En and Level. Just being a couple levels higher than an enemy can result in dealing more damage/taking less. Kanji, who has a poo poo ton of En, takes about 40-50 less damage than anyone else. That said, armor doesn't do anything special. I got by using default armor for most of the game, until I got stuff that gives Auto-Tararuja. Don't buy weapons for characters you never use their normal attack for, it doesn't affect damage/hitrate for physical skills. Weapons that raise your core stats or inflict a status aliment are okay though.

Ag does affect Hit/Evade but not by much. It mostly determines turn order in battle. Yoshitsune (a lategame overpowered Persona) has massive Ag, but I still seem to miss quite a bit with Hassou Tobi, which the skill has a natural hit rate of 75.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

You'll have to believe me here, I really didn't want to go the 'player' route. I was going to stay faithful to Yukiko, but.... It seemed way too cruel to walk out on Yumi during her confession. Also, why did Rise and Naoto have to be so drat appealing. I ended up romancing pretty much everyone except Chie.

That valentine's day event is going to break me, I can tell

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

HiveCommander posted:

You'll have to believe me here, I really didn't want to go the 'player' route. I was going to stay faithful to Yukiko, but.... It seemed way too cruel to walk out on Yumi during her confession. Also, why did Rise and Naoto have to be so drat appealing. I ended up romancing pretty much everyone except Chie.

That valentine's day event is going to break me, I can tell

You romanced everyone except the RIGHT person to romance :colbert:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Holy poo poo, you can get the Debilitate skill card from Trumpeter. Yoshitsune with Debilitate, here I come :getin:

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

TheJoker138 posted:

....Kanji?

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Schubalts posted:

....Kanji?

I've been openly flirting with Kanji every chance I have and nothing.

The group date scene, the beach scene. Come on Kanji I thought you were trying to embrace your true self~

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

TheJoker138 posted:

She honestly didn't appeal to me. Although in the anime and in-game cutscenes she does have her moments

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

Holy poo poo, you can get the Debilitate skill card from Trumpeter.

Hope you had fun because nothing else will make you try now.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

Hope you had fun because nothing else will make you try now.

Actually I felt like this from the beginning of November's dungeon and I don't have Trumpeter yet. That said the original P4 had a wonky difficulty curve too - at the beginning of the game you don't have many options so you HAVE to play the game like they expect you to. By the end you have so many options that you can break the thing wide open if you try, but they still have to balance it for people that don't know how to. If you used exclusively shuffle time persona and never fused I'm sure the game would stay difficult throughout.

In Golden though you get even MORE options by the end, your teammates get more skills than they used to and the reason everyone else on Voice is rushing Rise's S.Link is because she breaks the game for you if you raise it.

I can cast Samsara, kill all the enemies on turn 1, and still be at full MP next fight without Victory Cry. During bosses, Kanji now gets Power Charge, Teddie now gets Rakunda, and Naoto gets mind charge/dyne skills and Invigorate to spam them. In P4 Vanilla that specific team wasn't too great at bosses, and I haven't tried the other guys in endgame to see how they've been buffed too.

That said I've heard the bonus dungeon gets around this somehow but haven't heard specifics...

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

Big news! If you gently caress up and don't finish Nanako's S.link, it becomes available again on the 23rd of January.

All is not lost, and there is a second chance to not be worse than double Hitler

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Actually I felt like this from the beginning of November's dungeon and I don't have Trumpeter yet. That said the original P4 had a wonky difficulty curve too - at the beginning of the game you don't have many options so you HAVE to play the game like they expect you to. By the end you have so many options that you can break the thing wide open if you try, but they still have to balance it for people that don't know how to. If you used exclusively shuffle time persona and never fused I'm sure the game would stay difficult throughout.

In Golden though you get even MORE options by the end, your teammates get more skills than they used to and the reason everyone else on Voice is rushing Rise's S.Link is because she breaks the game for you if you raise it.

I can cast Samsara, kill all the enemies on turn 1, and still be at full MP next fight without Victory Cry. During bosses, Kanji now gets Power Charge, Teddie now gets Rakunda, and Naoto gets mind charge/dyne skills and Invigorate to spam them. In P4 Vanilla that specific team wasn't too great at bosses, and I haven't tried the other guys in endgame to see how they've been buffed too.

That said I've heard the bonus dungeon gets around this somehow but haven't heard specifics...

It tries but it doesn't, really.

Winning a fight in the bonus dungeon cuts your current SP totals for everyone by half, basically reducing you to a small fraction after a couple fights. You lose access to all your gear and accessories, and have to make do with the weapons they give you and any armor you find in gold chests (all of which has a defense of 1 and just different effects). You start with no items, but the enemies drop usable items and not components so you scrounge up what you need like that. The only accessories that drop are ones that give you SP regen, the worst giving you 8/turn and the best giving you 24/turn.

Of course, you still have all your crazy personas and to balance stripping you of all that stuff practically all the enemies have 3-4 obvious weaknesses and are weaker than things you'd find even in the last dungeon. If Rise is high enough to have Vigor Song or even Relaxing Wave you'll always have enough mp to clear fights, and when you don't just bring Yoshitune or anything with high physical damage.

Some people really hate the boss but I suspect they may have not figured out the trick because the trick to the fight is pretty great and a good AHA moment if/when you figure it out. With it the fight is pretty standard.

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice
konohana sakuya, why did you learn mudo, you're not supposed to have that

I've been letting my team pick its own moves during fights, and so far, it's been going well. One of the things that frustrated me about P3 was party members behaving stupidly in battle ("its weakness, Junpei, hit its weakness, Junpei noooooo"), so I was hesitant to try it out. I suspect, though, as I progress, and everyone's personas start learning more advanced, situation-specific moves, that I'll have to go back to Direct Commands. Nobody's using buffs or debuffs in fights, but are pretty darn good at prioritizing targets, hitting downed enemies, attacking weaknesses, and healing when necessary. It's speeding things up in dungeons, but I wouldn't let them do their own thing while facing a boss...

("brosuke heal me don't punch hulk hogan in the face heal me heal me...goddamnit" :downs:)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Crappy Jack posted:

Not only do the games stand on their own (outside of like one-line references to a character or event from a previous game), but Persona 1 and 2 are pretty divisive, but Personas 3 and 4 are pretty universally liked. Just jump right into those two. In fact, play Persona 3 Portable if you can, since it's got the gameplay improvements from 4, plus it features a neat cameo from Vincent.

Honestly, I'd recommend P3:FES over Portable. It's silly, but I think it lost something when they cut out the emoting 3D models in favour of 2D stills in the cutscenes (partial ending spoiler) particularly the very end one with the MC resting his head on Aigis' lap (I know, UMD storage space and all, but still). Admittedly, FES only lets you control the MC, but it's fairly bearable due to the party AI being moderately competent. That's just my personal opinion though.

HiveCommander posted:

Big news! If you gently caress up and don't finish Nanako's S.link, it becomes available again on the 23rd of January.

All is not lost, and there is a second chance to not be worse than double Hitler

Not completing it as soon as possible is still as bad as regular Hitler then :colbert:

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The Sea Guardian is kicking my rear end so hard. I know I'm terrible at the fishing minigame but this is ridiculous, I can keep the arrow in the middle most of the time but then it occasionally gets in the red bit and the loving thing is a mile away once again, or my fishing line snaps because I hold the button for a millisecond too long or something.

I'm never going to catch this thing. Now I know how the old man feels. :negative:

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

Dr. Ohnoman posted:

The Sea Guardian is kicking my rear end so hard. I know I'm terrible at the fishing minigame but this is ridiculous, I can keep the arrow in the middle most of the time but then it occasionally gets in the red bit and the loving thing is a mile away once again, or my fishing line snaps because I hold the button for a millisecond too long or something.

I'm never going to catch this thing. Now I know how the old man feels. :negative:

One thing that I found helped with the sea guardian was rapidly tapping the "O" button as the cursor slides over the blue area rather than trying to hold it down. That at least helped keep my line from breaking when it would give a sudden jerk to one side or the other.

It still took until my last diligence try of the day and it was pretty close. Nearly every try would have me almost getting the fish all the way in and then running out of blue and having to lay off to avoid breaking my line, letting the drat fish swim most of the way out again. The sea guardian doesn't mess around.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Of course right after I complain about it on the internet, I manage to catch the fucker. Man, he's a big one. :krakken:

And yeah, tapping the O button instead of holding definitely helps.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Dec 5, 2012

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Have you guys read the books meant to increase fishing proficiency? I'm basically just wondering how much that would help when attempting for the Guardian. I'm still gathering Inaba Jewel Beetles, so I haven't gotten the chance to try for the sucker yet.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

The Grimace posted:

Have you guys read the books meant to increase fishing proficiency? I'm basically just wondering how much that would help when attempting for the Guardian. I'm still gathering Inaba Jewel Beetles, so I haven't gotten the chance to try for the sucker yet.
Yeah, I read them. I'd say reading the expert fishing book is basically mandatory for the Sea Guardian, at least I would have been totally hosed without the "press triangle for quick reel" ability.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I read both books. Getting the sea guardian was still a little tough, and yeah without the triangle mechanic I don't know if I could have done it.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I'm not even going to bother maxing Hermit until NG+ I think.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
Just make sure you talk to it in the TV every chance you get, for costumes.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

What items carry over on NG+?

NJ Deac
Apr 6, 2006

DrManiac posted:

What items carry over on NG+?

The only items that stay are max social link items (which let you fuse the ultimate persona for that particular arcana) and compendium discount items. You also keep your money, your social stats (courage/understanding/expression/etc.), persona compendium, weapon/armor shop progress, and registered skill cards. However, your level resets to level 1, so make sure to fuse any end-game personas you want to use in the next playthrough, and save up enough cash so you can afford to resummon them in the new game. You can pull high level personas from the compendium, but you can't fuse them yourself until your level is high enough, so you're stuck with whatever you had when you completed the first playthrough.

Best thing to do to make the next playthrough trivial is to save up a bunch of money and fuse some great personas before you beat the game, then buy end-game weapons/armor from the metalworks and a couple of high level personas as soon as you hit Yukiko's Castle in the new game.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
So I am early June in the game (not far, yeah yeah). What are these weapons and armor you can make? Is that something that'll come up later? The weapon guy mentioned being able to make stuff if I bring him special supplies...where do those come from? The dungeons?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

ChiTownEddie posted:

So I am early June in the game (not far, yeah yeah). What are these weapons and armor you can make? Is that something that'll come up later? The weapon guy mentioned being able to make stuff if I bring him special supplies...where do those come from? The dungeons?

Yeah, just go to his shop and sell him loot that you've gotten off of monsters in the dungeons. If he recognizes something he can use, he'll make a new item automatically and then you'll be able to buy it in the shop.

• Locked thread