Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Who would have thought that they take it farther than CA?

It made the news of course, and the picture there is actually right where I was. I went back down that curved ramp on the right and then spun a U turn and booked it down the side street. You can kind of see at the top of the picture where everyone is stopped. Note that it was about 5:30 and light out when I did that and left. I'm definitely not regretting it.

http://www.wlwt.com/news/local-news...sz/-/index.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

nsaP posted:

This was me going the wrong way down the highway looking at all the stopped traffic that I knew was going to be sitting for a long time:

Suck it bitches!

Related:

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm
*edit* now it is showing up

I don't think I've ever ridden backwards down a road. Or even ridden the wrong way. I did have the smuggest expression ever splitting past 15 miles of traffic at a standstill due to RNAS Yeovilton Air Day a few years ago.

I love introducing new people to the wonders of riding.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Orange Someone posted:

*edit* now it is showing up

I don't think I've ever ridden backwards down a road. Or even ridden the wrong way. I did have the smuggest expression ever splitting past 15 miles of traffic at a standstill due to RNAS Yeovilton Air Day a few years ago.

I love introducing new people to the wonders of riding.

Cross a double yellow to pass someone?

echomadman posted:

The irony of you guys calling reddit a bunch of nitpicking safety nazis is delicious.

Perhaps; but they do seem to be bit more over the top than here. But I haven't been her long; so perhaps I'm wrong.

Orange Someone
Aug 20, 2007
Hmmm

MoraleHazard posted:

Cross a double yellow to pass someone?

We don't have double yellows, just a double white for not to pass (UK). And that's really only on hairy corners or dangerous areas. So I actually pay attention to those. Same way we only have a few STOP signs (the majority are Give Way), so I actually stop at those as well.

Dammit, I really want to take the bikes out over the Peaks on friday, but snow is forecast. I don't really think that's idea for a rider who's having his first go on a big bike solo.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
I love being one of the last men standing when it gets colder. A balmy 34 degrees yesterday and I took the bike to run some errands. Squeezing every last day out of the season I can.

My last stop was some fast food to haul home, and I brought all my gear in to keep it from collecting dew and getting cold sitting with the bike.

:monocle: You make it out here on a bike?!?
:smug: Yeah
:monocle: Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn dude! You got balls!
:smug: Heh thanks, there's no ice out there yet so you just have to dress for it is all.

Then in the lot as I was loading up my bags I hear a couple throttle raps of a sport bike that was too far to recognize the make/model of. When I looked up there was a guy pulling out of a neighboring fast food lot, and he gave me a quick wave before heading out. I waved back and that was it. Just a quick recognition that we're both a bit retarded to still be riding.

It's supposed to snow this week :(

ReelBigLizard
Feb 27, 2003

Fallen Rib
I had that when I rode to work in the snow 2 years ago. Snow is a big deal here because it's so infrequent that we have no infrastructure to deal with it, no gritters, salters, nothing. Some people "couldn't make it in because of the snow" that day and they own cars.

I knew it was all going to melt by 1700, so I just crawled into work in 2nd and 3rd gear. The hardest part was clearing a path out of my driveway and the biggest danger was not coming off myself, but watching out for idiot drivers sliding around because they have no idea how to deal with snow driving.

I've been waiting for a cheap, plated trails/trials bike to turn up on the local classifieds so I can gently caress around in the snow with some snow tyres. Just missed a Montesa 315 the other day, I was gutted.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

I'm in Knoxville and snow is rare, if there is a chance everything shuts down. Last time it snowed I rode the KDX into work and didn't see a single other vehicle on my 25 mile commute.

Even after 3+ years of year round commuting I get the occasional strange look when it's raining or cold out.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Halo_4am posted:

I love being one of the last men standing when it gets colder. A balmy 34 degrees yesterday and I took the bike to run some errands. Squeezing every last day out of the season I can.

My last stop was some fast food to haul home, and I brought all my gear in to keep it from collecting dew and getting cold sitting with the bike.

:monocle: You make it out here on a bike?!?
:smug: Yeah
:monocle: Daaaaaaaaaaaaaamn dude! You got balls!
:smug: Heh thanks, there's no ice out there yet so you just have to dress for it is all.

Then in the lot as I was loading up my bags I hear a couple throttle raps of a sport bike that was too far to recognize the make/model of. When I looked up there was a guy pulling out of a neighboring fast food lot, and he gave me a quick wave before heading out. I waved back and that was it. Just a quick recognition that we're both a bit retarded to still be riding.

It's supposed to snow this week :(
This, a thousand times. We have dedicated motorcycle parking at work, and we're currently far outgrowing our parking capacity (even hired valet parking who has taken over 2/5ths of the lot) so two douchebags decided to squeeeeze their SUVs into it.

The next morning it was 28F. I rode and parked across both spaces. gently caress 'em. Every rider in the building knows who I am now, and it's smiles all around when they see my helmet on top of my cube shelf thing. If it's gonna go above 40F on the ride home, I usually do it. Otherwise the bike has trouble starting both ways and it's just not worth the frostbite anyway.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

This might be pretty niche but I love riding to campus and taking a right end row seat in a lecture hall and putting my gear to the left of me. It ensures I don't have to have to sit next to some gross, sickly adult-but-not-really and I don't have to share any room for my massively long arms, which typically spill over much like Kevin Smith's fat on an airplane.

Also my successful completion of finals yielded the reward of stringing out my bike out the whole way home. There's honestly no feeling like hitting a freeway onramp and within seconds hitting 100+. Thanks again Z3n for helping me snag this beast. I honestly have no idea what the previous owner was thinking giving this up for an SV1000. Ahahaha :buddy:

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
Getting my full license! That was a rush, I think the examiner gave it to me mostly because I did it on a huge lump of motorbike as opposed to what the norm is here - borrow someone's 250cc single for the day.
Hitting 10000 miles on my Speed Triple was also a nice achievement for me, given that 2 years ago the thought of riding a motorbike was so far from my mind it's scary.

Waxing my chain on the weekend is therapeutic and relaxing and the smell of machinery so close to hand is one of my new favorite things ever.
These aren't technically things I love the poo poo out of while riding, but they are things I love the poo poo out of about riding, so close enough.

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

I just remembered something from this summer.

It was hot as poo poo and I was walking down one of the main streets of my town to pick up some food for a friend, when I heard some loud rear end pipes rumbling down the street. As the guy came into view, I figured him for a 1% or some guy who wanted to look like he was in a gang, big rumbly cruiser, leather jacket, brain bucket, and a vest with patches all over it.

"Wait...does that say "Cock"?

Dude had a big patch that said "I LOVE COCK" and various other proclamations of his homosexuality all over that vest. Didn't give a gently caress. A true renegade.

I'm sure you SF guys see poo poo like that all the time, but here in small-town SE Pennsylvania you wouldn't expect that kind of awesomeness.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

lol, that's awesome.

aventari
Mar 20, 2001

I SWIFTLY PENETRATED YOUR MOMS MEAT TACO WHILE AGGRESSIVELY FONDLING THE UNDERSIDE OF YOUR DADS HAIRY BALLSACK, THEN RIPPED HIS SAUSAGE OFF AND RAMMED IT INTO YOUR MOMS TAILPIPE. I JIZZED FURIOUSLY, DEEP IN YOUR MOMS MEATY BURGER WHILE THRUSTING A ANSA MUFFLER UP MY GREASY TAILHOLE
Nope just as annoying as some douchebag with a "THE BITCH FELL OFF" shirt.

Bassically a gay this guy:

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

If you don't enjoy the subversion of something guys do to look like more of a badass to women/their cohort I don't know what to tell you.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

erm... actually thieves should be summarily executed
Today:

Putting on my helmet and gloves while straddling the bike, noticing that about a third to half the college girls walking by (and the dudes, too) give me a more-than-lingering glance. Putting the transmission in neutral, setting the fuel, the ignition, the choke, the kill switch, the headlight like it's a fighter jet. Flip out the kick starter, hop on top, give it one boot while twisting the throttle and the engine fires with a bark and a visceral KRRRVRRRrrorommmmmmm. Watching another 10 or 15 people turn to check out the sound.

Yeah, it's definitely :jerkbag: behaviour, but it sure feels awesome. :allears:

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Sagebrush posted:

Today:

Putting on my helmet and gloves while straddling the bike, noticing that about a third to half the college girls walking by (and the dudes, too) give me a more-than-lingering glance. Putting the transmission in neutral, setting the fuel, the ignition, the choke, the kill switch, the headlight like it's a fighter jet. Flip out the kick starter, hop on top, give it one boot while twisting the throttle and the engine fires with a bark and a visceral KRRRVRRRrrorommmmmmm. Watching another 10 or 15 people turn to check out the sound.

Yeah, it's definitely :jerkbag: behaviour, but it sure feels awesome. :allears:

Yeah. I like strolling out of the coffee shop in leathers carrying helmet. When random dudes or girls spot me and immediately scan for MY MOTORCYCLE, it's pretty hard not to :smug: the gently caress up.

Knot My President!
Jan 10, 2005

I love/hate the withdrawal of not riding. It's been a week since I've been on my bike and having to sit in SoCal holiday traffic daily does terrible things to mortal psyche. :geno:

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie
:argh: Count your blessings SoCal goon. Some of us deal with it for months at a time.

I put 50 miles on this weekend though :) Chicago is actively setting a record for most days ever without snow accumulation. That should be changing any day now though, and it will be time to accept that it's almost January.

The time of year where you walk outside and feel your lungs freeze over because it's -20 out :(

Wulframn
Jul 6, 2012

sexy fast velociraptor

Halo_4am posted:

:argh: Count your blessings SoCal goon. Some of us deal with it for months at a time.

I put 50 miles on this weekend though :) Chicago is actively setting a record for most days ever without snow accumulation. That should be changing any day now though, and it will be time to accept that it's almost January.

The time of year where you walk outside and feel your lungs freeze over because it's -20 out :(

Would you rather live in Florida? Land of eternal summer and sunshine? It's 80 loving degrees today and not a cloud in the sky. I can't rememebr the last time it rained.

It sounds nice, I'm sure, when you're sitting inside with the heat pumping and snow blowing outside; but rest assured, during Christmas it is unholy. A break from the constant heat would be wonderful. :allears:

Also, the old people and their inability to drive a straight line or keep their speed reasonable.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Xovaan posted:

I love/hate the withdrawal of not riding. It's been a week since I've been on my bike and having to sit in SoCal holiday traffic daily does terrible things to mortal psyche. :geno:

After holidays I'm buying myself a new battery for the Buell and I'll probably instantly loop the thing... haven't been on it in 6 weeks and counting.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Wulframn posted:

Would you rather live in Florida? Land of eternal summer and sunshine? It's 80 loving degrees today and not a cloud in the sky. I can't rememebr the last time it rained.

It sounds nice, I'm sure, when you're sitting inside with the heat pumping and snow blowing outside; but rest assured, during Christmas it is unholy. A break from the constant heat would be wonderful. :allears:

Also, the old people and their inability to drive a straight line or keep their speed reasonable.

I could never live in Florida because I like hills. Hills mean turns, turns are fun.

That's terrain view. Look at all those straight roads.

Same zoom level, you can't even see most of the roads. They're there tho...http://goo.gl/maps/BEZ7J

I'll take inclement weather and fun roads.

nsaP fucked around with this message at 19:55 on Dec 20, 2012

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Move to socal where you get the best of both worlds!

Riding season year round (although it was 39 at my house by the airport last night), twisties in any direction, AND you get to :smug: it up as you split by people stuck in gridlock!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Yeah I may pay through the nose to live in Norcal but I've got amazing roads starting a mile from my house, lanesplitting is legal, I've got Sears Point 40 minutes away, Laguna 2 hours away, Thunder Hill 2 hours away, year round riding weather, all the benefits of a big city/culture center, etc.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
But...but....your state always on fire!

Eh I got nothin', Cali wins.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Of course, here in Chicago it's flat as gently caress, and snows. :smithicide:

I don't like riding in the heat though. Even in mesh gear, that poo poo kills me. Florida + May/June/July/August can suck a dick.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I think December and January are probably the months that I ride the least, mostly because it gets dark very early and I work late. I'll ride down into the upper 30s, but these months are more weekend riding.

I actually prefer 50s & 60s riding the best. Full gear is comfortable in that temp range.

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

MoraleHazard posted:

I think December and January are probably the months that I ride the least, mostly because it gets dark very early and I work late. I'll ride down into the upper 30s, but these months are more weekend riding.

I actually prefer 50s & 60s riding the best. Full gear is comfortable in that temp range.

Agreed.

I used to live in NOLA, but didn't ride then. One thing that dissuaded me from bikes was the constant sweaty ballsack of heat and humidity from May though November. It was like a punch in the gut when you stepped outside, and the heat kept lots of people indoors in the summer.

Now in Chicago, my NOLA friends like to mock me during the winter. I explain that given two climates that keep you indoors for months at a time, I prefer the one that does so when the days are short. :smug:

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Tamir Lenk posted:

Of course, here in Chicago it's flat as gently caress, and snows. :smithicide:

I don't like riding in the heat though. Even in mesh gear, that poo poo kills me. Florida + May/June/July/August can suck a dick.

Yeah Illinois seriously sucks for scenery. It's 200+ miles of <55mph speed limits to see anything that isn't flat farmland with acres of manure filling your helmet. All good for week long adventures, but if you've got a free weekend there's not a whole lot of interesting poo poo to see.

Ah well, at least it's only 15 miles to Italy... err Niles.

And 20 miles to Persia.... err Wilmette

Come Spring I'm going to do a tour of the 'world' for that damned riding game thread. I'm thinking of making a point of taking a pic of my bike in front of Wrigley field at dawn and little Cubs field at dusk in the same day. Would make for a fun couple of photos. This is the kind of thought you have to put into making riding scenic here though.

Halo_4am fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Dec 20, 2012

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug
CA sounds great weather wise and road wise but then you have to factor in CARB garbage and ridiculous registration/plate/whatever fees. gently caress that poo poo.

I live in PA so I have great roads (well, fun roads but our paving sucks), but the weather is questionable. Maybe KY/TN/NC would be better taking into account weather and quality of roads?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

dreesemonkey posted:

CA sounds great weather wise and road wise but then you have to factor in CARB garbage and ridiculous registration/plate/whatever fees. gently caress that poo poo.

Motorcycles don't have to be smogged (may in the future, though), and the cost of registration isn't *that* bad as long as you're not having to pay the back fees because the PO left it in a barn unpaid for a decade. Which admittedly sucks, but whatcha gonna do.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
The back charges, to me, are silly. In my state, if I want to take a vehicle off the road, I don't have to buy tabs for it while it's down. Why should you pay for street registration on a vehicle that doesn't see the street for the entire year?

Tamir Lenk
Nov 25, 2009

Halo_4am posted:

Come Spring I'm going to do a tour of the 'world' for that damned riding game thread. I'm thinking of making a point of taking a pic of my bike in front of Wrigley field at dawn and little Cubs field at dusk in the same day. Would make for a fun couple of photos. This is the kind of thought you have to put into making riding scenic here though.

Let's do this!

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

clutchpuck posted:

The back charges, to me, are silly. In my state, if I want to take a vehicle off the road, I don't have to buy tabs for it while it's down. Why should you pay for street registration on a vehicle that doesn't see the street for the entire year?

You shouldn't, but the state makes the assumption that basically everyone with expired tags didn't actually take the vehicle off the road, but is just driving it illegally. This is probably a safe assumption, too. So they charge you as if it was on the road the whole time so as not to lose massive amounts of money in unpaid registration fees.

If you're repairing the vehicle or using it only on your farm or whatever, there's probably a way to officially declare the vehicle off the public highways, but I'd bet it's long and annoying.

Halo_4am
Sep 25, 2003

Code Zombie

Tamir Lenk posted:

Let's do this!

PM'd my info. See you in March/April for silly photos and touring Chicagoland's bizarre landmarks. Perhaps we can get a pack of goons together for the day when it's closer.

There's also the world's first McDonald's, wizard of OZ park, and a handful of other silly poo poo to see and do before heading off to Freeport. Going to be a lot of hours to kill between sunrise at Wrigley and sunset in Redneck, IL.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

dreesemonkey posted:

I live in PA so I have great roads (well, fun roads but our paving sucks), but the weather is questionable. Maybe KY/TN/NC would be better taking into account weather and quality of roads?

CARB stuff doesn't really affect anyone with a bike on a day to day basis. Reg is around $30-100 a year...I'll move when I can pay 70$ to get year round access to beautiful roads. ;)

Covert Ops Wizard
Dec 27, 2006

dreesemonkey posted:

I live in PA so I have great roads (well, fun roads but our paving sucks), but the weather is questionable.

Our roads suck! It takes a paving crew like a full year to do a mile of road, and they seem to love lovely patch jobs and that awful awful awful tar chip poo poo.

Good curvy roads though, shame they're mostly blind corners around here.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer

Sagebrush posted:

You shouldn't, but the state makes the assumption that basically everyone with expired tags didn't actually take the vehicle off the road, but is just driving it illegally. This is probably a safe assumption, too. So they charge you as if it was on the road the whole time so as not to lose massive amounts of money in unpaid registration fees.

If you're repairing the vehicle or using it only on your farm or whatever, there's probably a way to officially declare the vehicle off the public highways, but I'd bet it's long and annoying.

I'm sorry, and I know there's nothing anyone here can do about it no matter what you think of it, but this is the single most insane poo poo I've ever heard, if this reasoning is true. They simply assume you do illegal poo poo and then send you a bill?

"But I only have a bicycle? How can I get $5000 in speeding tickets?"

"Well, we simply assume you have an unregistered car that you use to exceed the speed limit every day with. Enjoy!"

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Eh, it's more like they are billing you for a continuous service they assume you are still taking advantage of. Analogy: you can throw away your TV and cut off your cable line, but until you specifically tell the cable company that you no longer want their service, they're going to keep sending you bills, regardless of whether you're watching the shows or not.

Yes, it's stupid, but realistically they're probably right -- the vast majority of people with unpaid registration aren't being good citizens and staying off the roads until they can pay it up, they're just driving illegally and hoping they don't get caught. Lots of good things like highway repair and policemen's salaries and driving education are funded in large part from vehicle registrations, so I don't really have a problem with it in theory.

What I DO have a problem with is assigning the fees to the new owner, should he want to get the thing registered again. Yes, it's there to prevent people "selling" the car to their wife for one dollar and voiding any built-up fees, but it's a real kick in the balls if you're planning to restore an old vehicle. That part needs to be reworked, absolutely.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 21, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

What I DO have a problem with is assigning the fees to the new owner, should he want to get the thing registered again. Yes, it's there to prevent people "selling" the car to their wife for one dollar and voiding any built-up fees, but it's a real kick in the balls if you're planning to restore an old vehicle. That part needs to be reworked, absolutely.

In NZ the registration fees, if it isn't up to date, are cut off at the day of sale. The new owner is responsible for paying fees from that day on (or can put the car on 'hold' which exempts you from paying, but implies you aren't intending to use it on the road), the prior owner gets a bill for all of the fees overdue to that point.

• Locked thread