Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Howards Bellend
Aug 25, 2007

Is it just me or are the people they get to do the Pointless surveys all clearly really old people? You get some really weirdly high/low scores sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Giedroyc
Feb 18, 2001

Can't post for 2,400,000 hours!
One day someone's going to pick Scandinavian Authors in the final round of Pointless and it's not going to be about Stieg Larsson.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

EAT THE CHEESE, NICHOLSON!

Giedroyc posted:

One day someone's going to pick Scandinavian Authors in the final round of Pointless and it's not going to be about Stieg Larsson.

I'm prepared for that day, I've watched Henning Mankell's Wallander :smug:

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Quanta posted:

ITV normally have one show per week where the team win it.

It was on when I was buying a kebab a month ago. Had no idea what I was watching and the two guys won, but did think it was a pretty nifty idea for a throwaway quiz

SAVE-LISP-AND-DIE
Nov 4, 2010
Just caught up on the new series of Limmy's Show. Not as good as some of his past efforts but still the best new comedy of the past few years. It really doesn't get a showing outside of BBC Scotland?

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I think the regional variations of BBC are in the high numbers on Sky and Virgin, just not on Freeview. You have iPlayer for that at least. I think I followed him on twitter for months without seeing his work, his rambling stories are excellent. I haven't spotted one about Ronnie (?) and his granda for a while, I hope he hasn't killed the old bugger off.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

The pHo posted:

I think the regional variations of BBC are in the high numbers on Sky and Virgin, just not on Freeview. You have iPlayer for that at least. I think I followed him on twitter for months without seeing his work, his rambling stories are excellent. I haven't spotted one about Ronnie (?) and his granda for a while, I hope he hasn't killed the old bugger off.

in the virgin high numbers you get all regional variations of bbc one but only the main network bbc two.
so it's no good for getting limmy.
not to worry though, the bbc are fully nationalising two soon. so he'll either have to get promoted to bbc one scotland or even higher to national two. or cancelled.

i think sky carries the same but don't have it myself and their website doesn't seem to give such minor details as a channel list. i stand corrected.

Cerv fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Dec 5, 2012

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

BBC Two Scotland is 970 on Sky and Freesat outside of Scotland and 968 if you have TalkTalk TV, which I doubt you will.

I like that Limmy's Show's on the featured spot on the iPlayer front page right now.

Finally got to watch Have I Got a Bit More News for You, it's really rather good.

lets go swimming fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Dec 5, 2012

britishbornandbread
Jul 8, 2000

You'll stumble in my footsteps

thebardyspoon posted:

I'm kind of curious to hear Russel Howard on the Richard Herring podcast when it comes out (he's recording it tomorrow I think). Never heard him have an actual conversation before, on his own show and MTW when I watched it he always seemed a bit forced.

from a few pages ago but listening to this now. funny enough but after a series I've decided if I never hear Richard Herring not trying to be funny ever again I'll be happy. His guests are great and interesting but as a host he's unbearable

Leyburn
Aug 31, 2001

Cerv posted:

not to worry though, the bbc are fully nationalising two soon.

So what happens to the regional Newsnights then?

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Adam Hills is doing the Alternative Christmas message on Channel 4 this year

Leyburn posted:

So what happens to the regional Newsnights then?

They'll probably stop doing them.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

He's also doing a Last Leg of the Year for Channel 4 as well.

lets go swimming
Sep 6, 2012

Fat Guy Sexting posted:

He's also doing a Last Leg of the Year for Channel 4 as well.

He's got another series of the Last Leg next year, and a live show that was recorded in the autumn's getting an airing soon too.

Channel 4 loving love him.

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

onoflalks posted:

a live show that was recorded in the autumn

I think this is actually the live show that he did last Monday, which there were free tickets for, which I went to see.

:smug:

Great show, as well. Having a signer on stage really gives the thing a different energy than what you'll get from most standups - it's like the energy that comes from a double act, and it isn't just there when he's interacting with her, it carries over into all his material.

Total Meatlove
Jan 28, 2007

:japan:
Rangers died, shoujo Hitler cried ;_;

Trin Tragula posted:

I think this is actually the live show that he did last Monday, which there were free tickets for, which I went to see.

:smug:

Great show, as well. Having a signer on stage really gives the thing a different energy than what you'll get from most standups - it's like the energy that comes from a double act, and it isn't just there when he's interacting with her, it carries over into all his material.

Is this the one where he slips in a string of random swearwords to see what the signer does?

Trin Tragula
Apr 22, 2005

He did a variation of that when he was introducing the signer; this time it was "...and what all this means is, if I say 'fuckitty fuckitty poo poo gently caress', Sandra has to keep signing it! gently caress! Fuckity gently caress! Fuckity fuckity gently caress gently caress loving fuckers fuckety making GBS threads poo poo gently caress!" Same idea, but more blatantly rather than just dropping it into the middle somewhere.

There were also quite a few moments where some people had been watching to see what a particular sign was going to be, it got a laugh, and then he had the signer do it over again so everyone could have the joke.

Apologies for wall-o-black. It's amazing how hard it is to resist the urge to type "singer" instead of "signer"...

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

BizarroAzrael posted:

Noble actually builds things from a collection of unrelated things, I never really get the impression that Fielding is coming up with anything, he's just trying to find a way to get there. Julian Barratt and Rich Fulcher actually seem to be better at that sort of thing than him, but also less dependent on it.

Saw Ross Noble yesterday at the Apollo, and he was incredible, as he was the last 4 or so times I've seen him. If anyone else saw him on this tour I would be interested if the "Batman's biscuit" bit was in every time or if that was a one-off, as that was funny to the point of being painful. Second half was dominated by him making fun of a spectacularly drunk Irish guy in the front row.

I saw this tour and it seems that the Batman biscuit is something he wrote up and does the whole tour. For good reason too, I was actually in tears laughing.

Did he also do the "tangents tearing spacetime" callback in the encore?

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

FractionMan posted:

I saw this tour and it seems that the Batman biscuit is something he wrote up and does the whole tour. For good reason too, I was actually in tears laughing.

Did he also do the "tangents tearing spacetime" callback in the encore?

Yeah he did that, assuming he did it that same way it was pretty meta, someone started the music too early and it seemed pretty real, leading into encore Ross talking to Act 1 Ross again. Maybe it was real and he used it, but he's good at "rehearsed mistakes" like how he always teases returning to some thread he left hanging.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Howards Bellend posted:

Is it just me or are the people they get to do the Pointless surveys all clearly really old people? You get some really weirdly high/low scores sometimes.

I've probably seen every episode of Pointless (because I am sad) and I'd say that the people are both old and southern. If it's a cities round you can guarantee that top answers will be southern cities, next will be northern England, then Wales, then Scotland and finally Northern Ireland, without fail.
They also don't know a thing about politics - if it came to the last round and politics was one of them I'd definitely pick it because very slight politics knowledge almost always means a pointless.

I tend to presume though that although Alexander and Richard sound confused if "capital of the UK" only returns 97 people, it's more that people are desperately trying to think of obscure things and not naming the obvious stuff.

There's a disappointingly low jackpot too considering how hard it is to win, the last round is always a complete shot in the dark. Although it's always funny that if the jackpot reaches 10,000 and someone wins, the next episode or two will also have people winning. It's seriously EVERY time.

quote:

Yeah he did that, assuming he did it that same way it was pretty meta, someone started the music too early and it seemed pretty real, leading into encore Ross talking to Act 1 Ross again.
Unless you saw it in the Palace in Manchester on a Friday, he did this stuff for me too. It's a bit of a shame that the funniest stuff is the practised stuff. I did enjoy it but there were bits where he did drag on a bit. I think I prefer it to be a bit more scripted, I guess.
I saw Stewart Lee, Rhys Derby, Paul Merton and Greg Davies live this year too and I think Stewart and Greg were funnier than Ross.

And this week's Peep Show wasn't great. I laughed, but Mark is becoming so incredibly horrendous that I am finding it hard to do anything but really hate him. I know he's always been a bit of a prick but he's getting unrealistic, I think.

Junkenstein
Oct 22, 2003

If Paul Daniels gets arrested in this Saville investigation, that'll be a hat trick for Louie Theroux.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Taear posted:

And this week's Peep Show wasn't great. I laughed, but Mark is becoming so incredibly horrendous that I am finding it hard to do anything but really hate him. I know he's always been a bit of a prick but he's getting unrealistic, I think.

Yeah, all the characters except Jez seem to be becoming a bit of a caricature. As I've said in this thread, Dobby seems to get random mood swings between loving and hating Mark for no reason, Mark is just becoming a self-serving monster. Jez actually seems to be becoming a genuinely decent person, which is a total reversal between him and Mark from previous series.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Dec 6, 2012

FelixMeOneMoreTime
May 11, 2010

VogeGandire posted:

Mark is just becoming a self-serving monster

I've rewatched the entire series recently, and was surprised by how awful Mark was even in the earlier episodes. I think he was always a self-serving monster, but one who rarely got things to go his way so he was somewhat sympathetic. Now he's got some of the things he couldn't get before such as Dobby, he's a successful monster, which totally removes any sympathy for him. Jeremy was always a selfish dick, but seems to have gotten less malicious and less immature as the series goes on.

Maybe it's good character development. The selfish manchild grows up to be a decent guy, while the selfish "mature" person stagnates as a human being and actually ends up less mature than Jeremy.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

FelixMeOneMoreTime posted:

Maybe it's good character development. The selfish manchild grows up to be a decent guy, while the selfish "mature" person stagnates as a human being and actually ends up less mature than Jeremy.

At this point I fully believe Peep Show should end with Jez realising how Mark is dragging him down and leaving him behind to have a happy, successful life.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I hope it takes a sudden turn for the melodramatic, completely uncalled for by any of the preceding episodes, One Foot in the Grave style.

Rohan Kishibe
Oct 29, 2011

Frankly, I don't like you
and I never have.
I was thinking Cold Feet but the result is the same

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Mark leaves the electric blanket on taking a 'risk' and burns the flat down with himself in it.

Da na na na NA.

everyone wear hats now
Jul 29, 2010

Jeremy moves in with Jeff.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Jeremy moves in with a now financially successful Super Hans.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Flash forward fifteen years to Marks grave. His now teenage son shrugs at it, calls him a wanker and leaves forever.

FractionMan
Dec 24, 2003

Bringing back the balls to Rock

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah he did that, assuming he did it that same way it was pretty meta, someone started the music too early and it seemed pretty real, leading into encore Ross talking to Act 1 Ross again. Maybe it was real and he used it, but he's good at "rehearsed mistakes" like how he always teases returning to some thread he left hanging.

The way it happened for me was question time with Ross eventually ended up with a stupid question ("what's the set behind you?"), with which the punchline was fulfilled.

thehustler
Apr 17, 2004

I am very curious about this little crescendo
So, Young Doctor's Notebook, then?

I laughed out loud on quite a few occasions, and the interaction between Radcliffe and Hamm was great. Voted 5, would watch again.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I'm enjoying The Fear, it's a bit grim for grimness' sake, but hey ho. Watching it with a researcher into Early Onset Alzheimers puts a dampner on it though. Apparently they took the concept of confabulation and ran with it.
Also, courtesy of TVguide.co.uk, Petan Keytis.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Mr. Squishy posted:

I hope it takes a sudden turn for the melodramatic, completely uncalled for by any of the preceding episodes, One Foot in the Grave style.

The last episode of this series, Mark is going to murder Dobby so she won't leave him.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Taear posted:

The last episode of this series, Mark is going to murder Dobby so she won't leave him.

Jez tries to help getting rid of the body, he suggests eating it.

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
Masterchef Professionals has been intense this year.

I don't know how anton isn't already michelin-starred. I think he's going to win by a country kilometre.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

SeanBeansShako posted:

Jez tries to help getting rid of the body, he suggests eating it.

He'll keep the body in his room forever.

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

The latest episode of Harry and Paul was a clips one and had this loving funny bit where they are doing their massively sexist van driver/builder parody song. I think this was from the previous series. I laughed, yes im immature.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8m-4MWQxbk

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
My god Karl Pilkington is the world's most bizarre man. This week's Idiot Abroad left my cringing so badly.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

This series of Idiot Abroad is really making me question if Karl has been briefed to be as disagreeable as possible. Coupled with Warwick being genuinely up for anything, Karl is just getting a bit irritating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Akuma
Sep 11, 2001

VogeGandire posted:

This series of Idiot Abroad is really making me question if Karl has been briefed to be as disagreeable as possible. Coupled with Warwick being genuinely up for anything, Karl is just getting a bit irritating.
Of course he was. Or, rather, he's a smart comedian and made that decision himself. That's the Karl character!