Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

cKnoor posted:

I f you think you can capture the feeling of bewilderment go right a head. You can pretty much do whatever type of LP you want. You just can do more than one update.

That's pretty much the plan, anyone can post a video and I'll add it to the OP.

Question- can it be a game we've had for a while, fits the criteria, but we've played it quite a bit so it wouldn't be first-reaction? Cause I was reading the idea and thought "Yeah, I can fire up Anomaly and give it a run down!" before re-reading the whole 'semi-blind LP' idea.

It's not a complex game and a full LP would be overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynL2cUgXhXQ

Alright, just finished uploading this video. What could I do to make it better?

Well, besides not doing it blind. Not arguing that blind makes it better. Just might as well finish it blind now.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

DStecks posted:

Here's a revised version of the first mission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4o_KJHWacQ

Thoughts? This won't be the final version, but do you guys think this is more a step in the right direction?

This definitely works better with you having toned down the "I hate this" element. I quit watching your original attempt because it felt more like "Let's Hate/Complain About Nightfire" than anything, but I think this attempt keeps that to a tolerable level while still allowing you to voice what you don't like about the game.

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Will Harvey hates you, and everything you stand for.
Pillbug

Leavemywife posted:

And there's nothin' in the rules about having two LPs of the same game going at once, so they could both do it.

I might have a gimmick for mine. To be honest, I really loved the sequel having recently finished it (it starts kinda slow), so now I'm itching to try LPing both games.

That said, it is a lot of work, and if someone gets to it first, no harm, no foul.

But I haven't heard anything since Dark Hamsterlord's test post, and if it's true that Dragonatrix can't get to it until May (test post six months before the fact?) maybe I will get around to it soon. I had the whole first section recorded, so I have to cut it up into images, use the game script, pepper with commentary while necessary...

Dragonatrix posted:

I wanna be honest - and this actually doesn't have to do with your test post, it's just something I wanted to say but since Lufia had beaten me to the LP, I didn't want to come off like this was sour grapes or something...

I personally really didn't like his LP of 999 much. It's really not a popular game, and it seemed like every update, he'd post how the game was full of junk science and writing. Talking about it with him in the Sandcastle, it sounded like he thought the story was mostly stupid (but "interesting"). At one point, I even told the thread the music was pretty good (and I think it mostly is, it definitely helps the atmosphere in some sections), and the OP said it wasn't that good.

It is true that 999 is certainly not perfect in a lot of departments, and it could do with some editing and maybe a bit of reworking, but it's also somewhat of an undiscovered gem, so I felt like an LP that totally trashed the game kinda gives the audience the impression "Don't bother getting into this at all, it's crap."

It gets a lot of poo poo for that idiotic "competent game writing for once" line - which, mind you, is of course false, but isn't reallythe dev's fault - but it's actually pretty cool. So the 999 LP I'd want to see, or write, wouldn't completely trash the game. Of course there's sections that need a poke or two.

But there's more than one way to skin a cat, so who knows - maybe everyone else liked it and I was just being a dumb fanboy.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

VivaVizer posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ynL2cUgXhXQ
Alright, just finished uploading this video. What could I do to make it better?

Well, besides not doing it blind. Not arguing that blind makes it better. Just might as well finish it blind now.

While not intolerable, this is pretty bland reactionary commentary. You're not adding much else besides your tactics to the game and you're ruining the atmosphere of the game for the viewer. Grab someone else, preferably who's played the game before or that you mesh well with, and have a go at it again.

Nothing, as far as I can tell, is massively technically wrong. That's a plus.

Though, really, you should consider dropping Bioshock as the game. Try some other game that's not as dependent on immersion.

Atomikus
Jun 4, 2010

Muncie? Muncie! MUNCIE!

DStecks posted:

Here's a revised version of the first mission:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W4o_KJHWacQ

Thoughts? This won't be the final version, but do you guys think this is more a step in the right direction?

Sounds much better now, though I should note that the PC version is not a port of the console versions but a complete remake. The games are barely similar to each other.

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

Paingod556 posted:

Question- can it be a game we've had for a while, fits the criteria, but we've played it quite a bit so it wouldn't be first-reaction? Cause I was reading the idea and thought "Yeah, I can fire up Anomaly and give it a run down!" before re-reading the whole 'semi-blind LP' idea.

It can not be a game you've played a lot already, then it wouldn't be a "try". That said, nothing stopping you from getting someone else to play a game for the first time.

Edit: Here's the site that spawned from the last time we did something similar. http://www.productsofanidlemind.com/letsfail/

cKnoor fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Dec 5, 2012

thevoiceofdog
Jul 19, 2009

Terminally ambivalent.

slowbeef posted:

I might have a gimmick for mine. To be honest, I really loved the sequel having recently finished it (it starts kinda slow), so now I'm itching to try LPing both games.

Will we only be allowed to post if the sum of our username letter/numbers in base-26 is equal to the digital root of a randomly determined number each week?

That'd be fun :v:

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug

thevoiceofdog posted:

Will we only be allowed to post if the sum of our username letter/numbers in base-26 is equal to the digital root of a randomly determined number each week?

That'd be fun :v:

Only groups of 3-5 goons are allowed to view specific posts, depending on the digital root of the update number matching the digital root of their user IDs.

When you click the update link, you and your group have 45 seconds to click a DEAD link before you are autobanned.

This reply turned out kind of unfunny, but hopefully someone posted a better one in a different thread because of it.

slowbeef fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Dec 5, 2012

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

slowbeef posted:

Dragonatrix can't get to it until May (test post six months before the fact?)

Wow, I guess I worded that really badly; the May thing is by no means definite. I have no idea how much free time I'll have after Christmas until then (but if I had to guess, I'd say "not that much"), so I might not have time to really keep a thread going at a reasonable pace. For the next 2-3 weeks I know I'll have enough time to write some stuff and hopefully finish up anything else I need to. When it comes to this, I can use whatever time I have to write a few updates. If they end being awful, though, then it'd just be wasting my time and everyone else's too. Or that's how I see it anyway; I could just be looking at it wrong.

But, yeah, if someone else (either you, Dark Hamsterlord or someone else altogether) does start a thread for it before then, it wouldn't make a difference either way. If that happens, it happens.

quote:

it seemed like every update, he'd post how the game was full of junk science and writing. Talking about it with him in the Sandcastle, it sounded like he thought the story was mostly stupid (but "interesting").

I don't really remember Lufia's thread all that much since it was a while ago, and I don't have archives to go back and look either. Still, I can definitely see from that, that I'd be looking at the game in a different light. Personally, though, when it comes to the science stuff I can suspend my disbelief for most of it (not all of it, because some of it is just silly), but I can see why someone else might not be able to. As for the writing, there's certainly moments where I think what was trying to be said could be done better, or at least in a less embarrassing manner, but I wouldn't say it ever gets outright awful either.

As for trashing it, well, that's something I wouldn't go in intending to do since I really do like the game quite a lot. I also know I wouldn't be able to do it without it coming off as horribly forced, even if I did want to, so that helps too.

Lotus Aura fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Dec 5, 2012

slowbeef
Mar 15, 2005

Pillbug
I think for the science stuff, as an OP, I'd personally shut up about it and let someone else do the legwork to open up discussion in the thread.

Lufia wasn't wrong for doing that, per se, but one of the things I've learned (thanks to Zorak, actually) is there's some stuff you can leave to the audience to generate discussion (because when you say it, you're sort of stifling conversation.) There's no science to it, but it's just one of those things. And also I do feel like some of it made for an interesting read and suffixing it with "that's all bullshit by the way" took something away from it.

At the very least, I'd maybe like to do a test post just to see how much work it really would be for me and what - if anything - I could add.

I'm sorry I don't have more feedback on your test post, I only had time to glance over it last night, but I'll take a look later.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Paingod556 posted:

Is Anomaly a short game? If so, it might fit in the Clusterfuckathon thread.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

BFC posted:

While not intolerable, this is pretty bland reactionary commentary. You're not adding much else besides your tactics to the game and you're ruining the atmosphere of the game for the viewer. Grab someone else, preferably who's played the game before or that you mesh well with, and have a go at it again.

Nothing, as far as I can tell, is massively technically wrong. That's a plus.

Though, really, you should consider dropping Bioshock as the game. Try some other game that's not as dependent on immersion.

Alright, so not intolerable or massively technically wrong.

Though what am I doing that is ruining the atmosphere? Is it what I'm talking about? Or the edits from place to place?

I just don't understand how a co-commentator would help with atmosphere and immersion. Or is a co-commentator for other issues?

Spiffo
Nov 24, 2005

VivaVizer posted:

Though what am I doing that is ruining the atmosphere? Is it what I'm talking about? Or the edits from place to place?

I just don't understand how a co-commentator would help with atmosphere and immersion. Or is a co-commentator for other issues?

Re: atmosphere and immersion, I find it helps when you start to just kind of plan out exactly how you want your LP to feel. Your mood and stuff. The atmosphere of the LP itself. Figure out, "What would a good Let's Play of this game be like?" A very atmospheric game sort of makes that decision for you, so unless you can think of something better, it's best to stick with the atmosphere the game gives you and try not to cock it up.

Try to back up and rewatch your videos with a critical eye, if you can. Try to watch it from the perspective of somebody else, who has never seen your videos before and wants to experience Bioshock.

As far as atmosphere goes, I think the co-commentator suggestion was about the fact that you don't talk about anything. You react to what's on screen, you talk about what you're doing right now. What is that adding? Having a co-commentator gives you someone to talk to about game-events, story, background, or whatever. Alone, it's easy to fall into the trap of "narrating what you're doing", whereas with another person you have to actually try to talk about something.

I mean, you also kind of need the right co-commentator, because if you get some obnoxious rear end in a top hat then that doesn't really solve your problem at all. But a big problem with newer LPers (or just Youtube LPers in general) is that even when a bunch of words are coming out of their mouths, they aren't really saying anything at all. A co-commentator can help fix that (keyword: "can", not "will").

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Spiffo posted:

As far as atmosphere goes, I think the co-commentator suggestion was about the fact that you don't talk about anything. You react to what's on screen, you talk about what you're doing right now. What is that adding? Having a co-commentator gives you someone to talk to about game-events, story, background, or whatever. Alone, it's easy to fall into the trap of "narrating what you're doing", whereas with another person you have to actually try to talk about something.

This. This is exactly the issue.

You need to ask yourself why you're doing the LP. What does making a blind Let's Play of Bioshock achieve? What does the viewer get out of it?

I don't want to be presumptuous, but you can't let the LP be about you. Your primary concern at all times must be the viewer. You must ask yourself why the LP is worth the viewer investing several hours of their time to watch. Are you informing them? Making them laugh? Showing them a neat game they never got a chance to play? Conveying an interesting narrative? If your LP won't do any of these things, you shouldn't make it.

I'm telling you this because I see you making comments that you aren't going to post your Bioshock LP, but you'll post your next one. Until you consider what I've said, and really understand it, your next LP won't be well received here either.

Gwen
Aug 17, 2011

VivaVizer posted:

I don't think that LPing Bioshock blind is a terrible idea. I think Bioshock is incredibly strategic, making it great for a sort of "Behind the Scenes Planning Stage" LP. The problem, for me, is that you really should preserve the atmosphere of Bioshock otherwise you're losing something. Talking about the game like it is a game really takes me out of the experience and talking life meters or plasmids usage doesn't help that.

Basically you're taking real-time strategy commentary and puting that over Bioshock, which I'm torn between calling it destructive to the game and being intrigued.

Also, the co-commentator thing was more of an idea for future LPs. I really think you should drop Bioshock, for now, because I'm not sure if you know what you want to do with it.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

VivaVizer posted:

Take a look at what I'm doing with my Bioshock thread right now. I'm moving slowly, using subtitles so that you can actually hear the game itself. I'm also doing multiple test runs of each level so I can see as much as possible to give a good episode. Editing won't break the atmosphere unless you carve huge chunks out of it.

asymmetrical
Jan 29, 2009

the absence or violation of symmetry

slowbeef posted:

And also I do feel like some of it made for an interesting read and suffixing it with "that's all bullshit by the way" took something away from it.
This was my Huge Issue with that LP. I find psuedoscience very interesting and getting immediately shut down was a big turn-off. I'd greatly appreciate an LP that rolled with the flavor of the game.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!
So I'd like to try my hand at LPing The Real Texas, since I don't think it's ever been done. I threw together a test post, and while I feel reasonably good about it I'd like to make sure I'm not committing any obvious sins of LPing (and also that the screenshots aren't too huge; the game has lower resolutions if need be and the segment I've actually screenshotted already is short enough that I could completely redo this fairly quickly).

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Basil Hayden posted:

So I'd like to try my hand at LPing The Real Texas, since I don't think it's ever been done. I threw together a test post, and while I feel reasonably good about it I'd like to make sure I'm not committing any obvious sins of LPing (and also that the screenshots aren't too huge; the game has lower resolutions if need be and the segment I've actually screenshotted already is short enough that I could completely redo this fairly quickly).

As a person who watches and doesn't make let's plays, your images seem to big. My usual measurement is if they can fit completely on the screen of my laptop. Yours go of the edges a bit.

lesbian baphomet
Nov 30, 2011

Basil Hayden posted:

This all looks pretty good to me (and I'm interested in seeing an LP of that game), but something that stood out to me was this line:

quote:

The Cowboy takes a step back, and ***WHAMMM!*** A parking ticket slides out of the machine and lands at our feet.

You seem to be narrating what's happening on screen, and if an interesting animation actually plays out when you choose to kick the machine (I don't know if it actually does), you might be better off using a gif to actually animate it. Or any other particularly unique or interesting animations happen, if there are any.

e: To add to that, you might also want to show or at least mention how the character himself moves normally, because one thing that I know about The Real Texas is that the wobbly-rear end walk animation of your block-cowboy is pretty funny and striking when you first see it. Maybe just talk about it around the same point you talk about the game's visual style, because that definitely lends to it.

lesbian baphomet fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 6, 2012

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

djw175 posted:

As a person who watches and doesn't make let's plays, your images seem to big. My usual measurement is if they can fit completely on the screen of my laptop. Yours go of the edges a bit.

It fits alright on my monitor, but 1024x768 can be a bit large for people on laptops, so this was something I was concerned about. Like I said, if people think this could be an issue it's not a problem for me to redo the small amount of progress I've made so far.

MoonwalkInvincible posted:

This all looks pretty good to me (and I'm interested in seeing an LP of that game), but something that stood out to me was this line:

You seem to be narrating what's happening on screen, and if an interesting animation actually plays out when you choose to kick the machine, you might be better off using a gif to actually animate it. Or any other particularly unique or interesting animations happen, if there are any.

There's no animation there at all, just the description. I should probably get ahold of FRAPS or whatever ahead of time, though, since there are at least a couple of things I'd like to have animations of at some point. Heck, I might go ahead and capture the game's weird walking animation and that sort of thing if I redo this first post.

E: Haha you edited it to mention that exact thing while I was writing this -- and you're totally right.

EE: One other thing, now that I think about it -- does it feel like there are too many screenshots (or not enough, for that matter)? I took almost two hundred, and although about a third of those were just for text transcription I don't know if fifty is too many, too few, or about right for the amount of gameplay that actually occurs here.

EEE: Well that wasn't too hard.

Basil Hayden fucked around with this message at 01:15 on Dec 6, 2012

Egomaniac
Mar 23, 2006

Basil Hayden posted:

It fits alright on my monitor, but 1024x768 can be a bit large for people on laptops, so this was something I was concerned about. Like I said, if people think this could be an issue it's not a problem for me to redo the small amount of progress I've made so far.

There's actually a forums rule that images be no larger than 800x600.

PotatoManJack
Nov 9, 2009

cKnoor posted:

It can not be a game you've played a lot already, then it wouldn't be a "try". That said, nothing stopping you from getting someone else to play a game for the first time.

Edit: Here's the site that spawned from the last time we did something similar. http://www.productsofanidlemind.com/letsfail/

This sounds like a great idea.

One question I have though, is would this thread be a place to show off old games that some people might not be familiar with but that you don't want to LP fully?

More specifically, there are a couple of old console games that I would really like to LP but I honestly just don't have the time to fully do them, I could however be up for doing 1 video of them to show them off as some are great games. This thread seems like it would be a good place for these videos.

Basil Hayden
Oct 9, 2012

1921!

Egomaniac posted:

There's actually a forums rule that images be no larger than 800x600.

Ah, right. Guess I'd gotten used to seeing [timg] tags so often that I'd forgotten about that. I suppose I'll need to redo the screenshots for sure, then! :v:

cKnoor
Nov 2, 2000

I built this thumb out of two nails, a broken bottle and some razorwire.
Slippery Tilde

PotatoManJack posted:

This sounds like a great idea.

One question I have though, is would this thread be a place to show off old games that some people might not be familiar with but that you don't want to LP fully?

More specifically, there are a couple of old console games that I would really like to LP but I honestly just don't have the time to fully do them, I could however be up for doing 1 video of them to show them off as some are great games. This thread seems like it would be a good place for these videos.

If you haven't played them before then yes. If you've played them then no. The point is to try a game (and possibly fail) not to show off parts of a well known game. Besides it seems like there's already a thread that covers that sort of thing.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Meis posted:

Is Anomaly a short game? If so, it might fit in the Clusterfuckathon thread.

Thanks, I missed that thread.

And it's not so much short (though you can burn through it pretty quick) as it is repetitive- it's a reversed tower defence game, not much to it.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

So I've been planning on doing a SSLP of a game called To The Moon. I made a post in the tech support fort regarding image formats, and I just got all that sorted out but now I'm starting to think maybe I should do the thing as a subtitled VLP instead. The game is very text heavy, but it's also extremely atmospheric, has great sound/music, and a lot of neat little details which I'd find myself breaking the screenshots up with videos of quite frequently. The first update which I was working on (which is pretty short) has 6 videos in it. That kind of set off some alarm bells.

Trouble is the game is hard to record. Fraps/Dxtory don't work in it, and I've been struggling using Hypercam2 to record from the screen with a decent framerate and quality, despite the game not exactly being graphically intensive. If I did do it as a VLP I guess I'd have to head back to the tech support fort to figure out a good way to record it, but that's not a big deal.

So I guess the point of the post is, should I continue working on it as a SSLP or start over with a subtitled VLP instead? Unfortunately I didn't reach the stage of having a test post yet, but if people know the game I'd appreciate their thoughts.

VivaVizer
Dec 1, 2012

Brought to you
by the letter 'V'

BFC posted:

I don't think that LPing Bioshock blind is a terrible idea. I think Bioshock is incredibly strategic, making it great for a sort of "Behind the Scenes Planning Stage" LP. The problem, for me, is that you really should preserve the atmosphere of Bioshock otherwise you're losing something. Talking about the game like it is a game really takes me out of the experience and talking life meters or plasmids usage doesn't help that.

Basically you're taking real-time strategy commentary and puting that over Bioshock, which I'm torn between calling it destructive to the game and being intrigued.

Hmmm, that's rather difficult then.

I can't talk about what is happening in the game yet I can't talk anything that would distract from the game or paint the game as a game either.

Spiffo posted:

Re: atmosphere and immersion, I find it helps when you start to just kind of plan out exactly how you want your LP to feel. Your mood and stuff. The atmosphere of the LP itself. Figure out, "What would a good Let's Play of this game be like?" A very atmospheric game sort of makes that decision for you, so unless you can think of something better, it's best to stick with the atmosphere the game gives you and try not to cock it up.

So about atmospheric games then. What should a person talk about? Or would any talking be distracting from the atmosphere.

Or would it mean atmospheric games can only be done in silent Long Play format or subtitle LP format... I dunno, I'm personally rubbed the wrong way by LP's where the player is completely quiet. I guess I see LP's more like when you watch a friend playing a game and your friend is happy/excited.

Maybe I should try to refocus on what I really want to show in my Bioshock LP. Really, it boils down to two things. Show how awesome the game is and show how great the story is. For story, that is why I don't talk when an audio diary is going on or a character is talking.

But what does that mean for the commentary...that's what is bugging me.

Alright, if I were to break down what I say, it usually goes into a few groups.

"Oh poo poo." "Is he dead yet?" "Oh god, I hear more of them" etc.

I assume these are what people mean by "bland reactionary commentary".

What about when I get excited about a new plasmid or weapon. Would that also count as "bland reactionary commentary"?

I did take 1 minute to talk about setup last episode... but ultimately, stuff like doesn't fit my intentions. I can probably do short, passing comments about combat setup but feels like setting time aside to talk about it pulls the audience out of the game.

What about when I'm speculating on story? Would that also count as "bland reactionary commentary"? Though there is a limit to much of the story can I speculate.

Bleh, I need to mull it over some more.

Though if I ever LP another game with so much loot hidden around like Bioshock, I probably wouldn't do it blind. I could map out a path with far better pacing than playing blind and trying to cobble it together while editing out the boring bits.

VivaVizer fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Dec 6, 2012

discworld is all I read
Apr 7, 2009

DAIJOUBU!! ... Daijoubu ?? ?

Meis posted:

So I've been planning on doing a SSLP of a game called To The Moon. I made a post in the tech support fort regarding image formats, and I just got all that sorted out but now I'm starting to think maybe I should do the thing as a subtitled VLP instead. The game is very text heavy, but it's also extremely atmospheric, has great sound/music, and a lot of neat little details which I'd find myself breaking the screenshots up with videos of quite frequently. The first update which I was working on (which is pretty short) has 6 videos in it. That kind of set off some alarm bells.

Trouble is the game is hard to record. Fraps/Dxtory don't work in it, and I've been struggling using Hypercam2 to record from the screen with a decent framerate and quality, despite the game not exactly being graphically intensive. If I did do it as a VLP I guess I'd have to head back to the tech support fort to figure out a good way to record it, but that's not a big deal.

So I guess the point of the post is, should I continue working on it as a SSLP or start over with a subtitled VLP instead? Unfortunately I didn't reach the stage of having a test post yet, but if people know the game I'd appreciate their thoughts.
Well from looking up some information on 'To the moon' it appears that it might be a Flash based game and if that's the case then Fraps/Dxtory won't record it (since they record DirectX games which is pretty common). Now what I normally use to record Flash games is Camtasia but keep in mind that can be pricey; and really I've never had much luck with Hypercam due to the whole stereo sound input noise. In the end though for a text heavy RPG you're better sticking with screenshots (unless it has some amazing voice acting you want to show off).

VivaVizer posted:

Commentary stuff
It's a difficult line to understand sometimes between what's being informative about the game and what's just stating obvious things on screen. Now for that last video you posted, I thought that actually was fairly good commentary wise. When you were breaking down the Plasmids you were going to use and all that, that was being informative. Now let's say that what you then ended up doing was fighting a Big Daddy and you proceeded to narrate out the entire fight, saying "Oh poo poo, he's charging but I'm shocking him now. Now he's stunned but oh no, he's charging again. I'm running low on health and now's he charging again. Jeez, my character is really hurt because this Big Daddy keeps charging me; I guess I'll keep hitting him with electricity. And now the Big Daddy is dead, and I'm going to loot his corpse, and oh look, I found some money, and some shells, and now I'm going to walk to the next room.' I know it may seem bizarre but people do this; and it's up to you to determine what is informative and what's obvious.

Really most developers have made games, especially modern games, pretty self explanatory. Tutorials everywhere, NPC's telling you verbatim poo poo, and everything is just obvious. It's up to you as the LP'er to maybe summarize that, add in additional information (such as being able to sometimes exploit Big Daddy pathing or something similar in the case of Bioshock), and to make it not seem like you are just regurgitating information.

Also retaining atmosphere is an odd subject; some people are completely fine with entertaining commentary over serious games and others are quite rabid about it. Pretty much if you're entertaining though the forums is pretty forgiving about whatever you do.

djw175
Apr 23, 2012

by zen death robot

Meis posted:

If you found a place with the music on the web you could link to those at appropriate times.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

djw175 posted:

If you found a place with the music on the web you could link to those at appropriate times.

You can actually buy the soundtrack off bandcamp. Uploading that to Tindeck is easy enough.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

Meis posted:

Think about it this way: If you post screenshots and tindeck the sound, a whole bunch of people will check it out and those who enjoy it will look into picking it up for themselves. They'll want to see all the little details.

There is a whole bunch of people who would be turned off by having to read a pile of text in video. (Speed readers finish early and want it to hurry, slower readers will have to pause if they fall behind.)

I can't wait to see it, regardless of what you do. It's an interesting RPG Maker Game, to be able to get on steam. :toot:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

VivaVizer posted:

Hmmm, that's rather difficult then.

So about atmospheric games then. What should a person talk about? Or would any talking be distracting from the atmosphere.

Or would it mean atmospheric games can only be done in silent Long Play format or subtitle LP format... I dunno, I'm personally rubbed the wrong way by LP's where the player is completely quiet. I guess I see LP's more like when you watch a friend playing a game and your friend is happy/excited.

That kind of thing can definitely come through in subtitles. Think about what it's like when you read a book. Tone is everything. If you strike the proper tone, your viewers will get the mood you want to convey.

I think there was somebody who did a really good voiced LP of an atmospheric game. I think Voidburger's Silent Hill LP. Maybe check that out if you want to see how to make voice commentary work for an atmospheric game.

But really, look into subtitles. They really work when done well.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Meis posted:

I'd say do it as a SSLP, with full commentary for everything, but also have the option to watch a video of the scene. I know when I'm reading an SSLP, no matter how good it is, I'm immediately turned off if I have to watch a video to see the scene and how it plays out.

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

It is so weird to have a guy roll in here from Youtube that LISTENS. Warms my heart, but it's such an odd sight!

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll stick to screenshots, but I just figured out how to record video without audio desync, bad framerates and such too. I think I'll just record the whole thing and take screens from that, and edit clips of interesting things out. I should probably learn how to make gifs too, of the shorter animations. As for audio, I'd always planned to just link to the bandcamp itself, seeing as it lets you listen to the songs without downloading them for free.

Now I need to redo all the video and I messed up a couple of the screenshots, so I reckon I'll just start the whole thing over tomorrow. I'll hopefully be posting a test post soon! Thanks again! :)

Scaly Haylie
Dec 25, 2004

Meis posted:

Thanks for the advice, guys. I think I'll stick to screenshots, but I just figured out how to record video without audio desync, bad framerates and such too. I think I'll just record the whole thing and take screens from that, and edit clips of interesting things out. I should probably learn how to make gifs too, of the shorter animations. As for audio, I'd always planned to just link to the bandcamp itself, seeing as it lets you listen to the songs without downloading them for free.

Use VirtualDubMod to take screenshots, and plain ol' VirtualDub for GIFs. That's all I know, and I'm getting by. :v:

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Lizard Wizard posted:

Use VirtualDubMod to take screenshots, and plain ol' VirtualDub for GIFs. That's all I know, and I'm getting by. :v:

AvsPmod works really well for taking shots, too. I can recommend VDub for .gif making, though, and GIMP if you need to resize them or whatever.

Or Photoshop, if you have that and know how to work it. I know how the GIMP stuff goes, but Photoshop scares the hell out of me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Leavemywife posted:

Or Photoshop, if you have that and know how to work it. I know how the GIMP stuff goes, but Photoshop scares the hell out of me.

It's actually pretty simple. GIMP is the freaky poo poo. :v:

Joking aside I'd say go with GIMP since Photoshop, while a bit more powerful and user-friendly I think, actually costs money.

• Locked thread