Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

Thanks, that's more clear than what I had before, but there's still some confusing info.

Up top, in the tri-fold part, it says:

quote:

Spotify - free version.
Millions of tracks available instantly.
Free radio on your mobile.

On the bottom, however, the "Free" column has a red X next to "Play music from Spotify on your mobile"
When I follow the link for that last bit, it also says that free users can "start listening right away" - seems conclusive, but in light of the other confusing info, I worry "start listening right away" could mean that you get a Premium trial*, after which you can't listen on a phone.

*you do get a 30 day premium trial

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

alnilam posted:

Thanks, that's more clear than what I had before, but there's still some confusing info.
Up top, in the tri-fold part, it says:
On the bottom, however, the "Free" column has a red X next to "Play music from Spotify on your mobile"
When I follow the link for that last bit, it also says that free users can "start listening right away" - seems conclusive, but in light of the other confusing info, I worry "start listening right away" could mean that you get a Premium trial*, after which you can't listen on a phone.

*you do get a 30 day premium trial
With the free mobile app (at least on iPhone) you can listen to "Radio" for free which means you can listen to the genre-based radio stations for free, sort of like Pandora, but you can't pick and choose songs or make your own custom playlists. You need premium to "stream on demand" specific songs.

Basically, for free you get free songs on PC with ads, and some limits, and radio on mobile. Premium is required for specific songs on mobile.

edit: and if you're on iOS be sure to check out turntable.fm, pandora, last.fm, bandOfTheDay, and even Freegal (depending on where you live.) All free and pretty nice.

randyest fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Dec 5, 2012

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
What is the standard name for video glasses? Like a wearable device that displays a variety of video sources? Are there any good ones, or is the technology not there yet?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

What is the standard name for video glasses? Like a wearable device that displays a variety of video sources? Are there any good ones, or is the technology not there yet?

Ones that cover the eyes in such a way that you can't walk around wearing them are called "head mounted displays". Sony sells one that's good but its also like $800.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-HMZ-T1-Wearable-HDTV-2D/dp/B005SCYZGA/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1354673469&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+hmz-t2

b0nes
Sep 11, 2001
I need to burn about 9gb of video files into a DVD for a friend. I am doing it on a regular 4.7gb DVD. What is the best way to accomplish this? I have Handbrake, but I am wondering if I should or could use the preset formats for iPhone, iPad, etc. She is watching them on a portable DVD player, so having them at full resolution probably isn't necessary. What free or trialware software could I use.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

b0nes posted:

I need to burn about 9gb of video files into a DVD for a friend. I am doing it on a regular 4.7gb DVD. What is the best way to accomplish this? I have Handbrake, but I am wondering if I should or could use the preset formats for iPhone, iPad, etc. She is watching them on a portable DVD player, so having them at full resolution probably isn't necessary. What free or trialware software could I use.

DVD Flick can do the job. It can work with most any type video file you can name.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

IzzyFnStradlin posted:

"Face mounted chastity belts."

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I purchased a stupidly expensive $650 sewing machine on ebay on November 6th. The seller took forever to ship it, and it arrived today packed in a box only with an old tablecloth as padding. :wtf: As expected, it is super broken.

Ebay and Paypal both say to "try to work it out with the seller first" before filing a claim/dispute. Does anyone have experience with this? I just sent an official ebay communication saying I want to return it for a full refund (and for them to pay shipping). Should I open a dispute anyway?

fake edit: You should know that the seller is a d-bag anyway. They shipped it first to an address in a different city, where it sat on some guy's doorstep for 3 days until UPS picked it up again. They were not very helpful in getting that sorted out.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

canyoneer posted:

I purchased a stupidly expensive $650 sewing machine on ebay on November 6th. The seller took forever to ship it, and it arrived today packed in a box only with an old tablecloth as padding. :wtf: As expected, it is super broken.

Ebay and Paypal both say to "try to work it out with the seller first" before filing a claim/dispute. Does anyone have experience with this? I just sent an official ebay communication saying I want to return it for a full refund (and for them to pay shipping). Should I open a dispute anyway?

fake edit: You should know that the seller is a d-bag anyway. They shipped it first to an address in a different city, where it sat on some guy's doorstep for 3 days until UPS picked it up again. They were not very helpful in getting that sorted out.

Try and see if you can get some sort of resolution from the seller first. If you open a dispute immediately, it can lock the seller's Paypal account so even if they wanted to issue you a refund, they can't. You'd have to wait the ~20 days for the resolution to pass.

On the other hand, if locking their account is your goal or you feel they'll withdrawl the money and never talk to you, open a dispute immediately.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

FCKGW posted:

On the other hand, if locking their account is your goal or you feel they'll withdrawl the money and never talk to you, open a dispute immediately.

Is that possible even if I open the dispute within the 45 day time window they give? If they withdraw the money and skeedaddle, PayPal won't refund me? Sounds like pretty horrible buyer protection, IMO.

canyoneer fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 5, 2012

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

Darth Freddy posted:

My top limit is about 500 dollars as for style casual or bomber is what I am aiming for.

http://www.schottnyc.com/products/fabric/leather

If you don't like anything there, then I'd monitor eBay for the usual high-end designers. Check out Yigal Azrouel, too.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

canyoneer posted:

Is that possible even if I open the dispute within the 45 day time window they give? If they withdraw the money and skeedaddle, PayPal won't refund me? Sounds like pretty horrible buyer protection, IMO.

Nah, Paypal will still refund you, they just leave the seller with a negative balance and send them to collections if necessary. It just makes it easier on their end with less "hiccups" that could occur.

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich
If you've contacted the seller and aren't seeing immediate reasonable fixing of the situation dispute immediately and then see about fixing it later when/if the situation changes and you get taken care of. Especially if you used regular Paypal and not a Paypal link to a real credit card that will protect you.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Victimology is all over the place!
Questions about Kindles!

Amazon won't be releasing the Kindle Paperwhite in Canada until some time in 2013. But I wanted a Kindle for Christmas :saddowns:. In the meantime, only the basic Kindle is available. From what I gather, the main differences between them are the display technology, resolution, and interface, with some less important (to me) variations in weight, dimensions, and battery life.

Basically, are the differences worth it to wait a couple of months until the Paperwhite comes out?

Fire Safety Doug
Sep 3, 2006

99 % caffeine free is 99 % not my kinda thing

Bloody Mayhem posted:

Questions about Kindles!

Amazon won't be releasing the Kindle Paperwhite in Canada until some time in 2013. But I wanted a Kindle for Christmas :saddowns:. In the meantime, only the basic Kindle is available. From what I gather, the main differences between them are the display technology, resolution, and interface, with some less important (to me) variations in weight, dimensions, and battery life.

Basically, are the differences worth it to wait a couple of months until the Paperwhite comes out?

To me the biggest selling point of the Paperwhite is the backlit screen. I own the current basic model (non-touch) and that is the only thing I actually miss. There are covers with a built-in light, but they tend to be pricey and of course it would be nicer to have it as standard. But when I played around with the Paperwhite in a bookstore for a minute or two, it didn't seem to offer anything else I couldn't live without.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
If you want to take a shot at me get in line, line
1 2 3!
Baby, I've had all my shots and I'm fine
How long do I wait until bothering someone on eBay about when they're going to ship my item? I bought a Christmas tree off eBay. The auction ended Dec 2, I paid on Dec 3. It's now Dec 5, with a proposed receiving window of Dec 7-Dec 20. Since this is obviously something we want by Christmas and also something that obviously can't be sent next-day, I'd like it shipped out sooner rather than later, but I also don't want to be a harassing jerk.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

There's a full feature comparison at http://www.amazon.com/kindle (scroll down). The main difference other then the screen is that the Paperwhite and Keyboard have versions with free 3G internet whereas the basic Kindle has wi-fi only. Personally I find the 3G really useful, but I don't have a smartphone so the Kindle is my only portable internet.

The Keyboard and Paperwhite also have better battery life, and the Keyboard has twice the storage space of the basic Kindle and the Paperwhite for some reason. None of that's really particularly important though, unless you have specific requirements.

But the main difference is price, and if the Paperwhite looks like good value for money to you, I'd probably wait and go with that one, just because the screen really does look very nice. The Keyboard and basic models are perfectly fine though, so if you want to save some money or just can't wait you probably won't regret getting either one.

tarepanda
Mar 26, 2011

Living the Dream
I got a paperwhite after having the old keyboarded 3G... and I have to say, I really miss having page-turn buttons. Love the screen, miss the buttons.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
I'm not sure how small a question this is, but I'd like another opinion:

Are the inhabited territories of the United States (Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Northern Marianas) part of the United States?

Legally they are all unincorporated territories, which I take to mean they are possessions of the U.S. but not part of it. An analogy would be the relationship between the UK and its territories: The Channel Islands and Isle of Man are explicitly not part of the United Kingdom, but they are possessions of the crown.

Wikipedia is not a valid source for this because this argument is actually over what should be put on Wikipedia, on the article on United States to be specific. I say the U.S. consists of fifty states, a federal district, and one incorporated territory (Palmyra Atoll, which can be safely omitted from most mentions as it is an uninhabited curiosity). The other guy says it consists of fifty states, a federal district, five inhabited territories and nine uninhabited ones.

The unincorporated territories are areas where the Congress can choose what provisions of the Constitution apply, whereas incorporated areas are ones where the entire Constitution is in force in perpetuity. (all mainland territories, plus Hawaii Territory, were incorporated) So technically, you have more constitutional rights on Palmyra than you do on Guam. But he says, since they pay [some] taxes, have territorial representation, and have U.S. citizenship, the areas are part of the country rather than merely possessed by it.

Is there a geography thread that might have some experts who could shed light on this? I see the history thread but I'm not sure if this would qualify for that.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Golbez posted:

Are the inhabited territories of the United States (Puerto Rico, Guam, American Samoa, U.S. Virgin Islands, and Northern Marianas) part of the United States?

Legally they are all unincorporated territories, which I take to mean they are possessions of the U.S. but not part of it. An analogy would be the relationship between the UK and its territories: The Channel Islands and Isle of Man are explicitly not part of the United Kingdom, but they are possessions of the crown.

They are part of the United States. People born there have U.S. citizenship (at least for most), and you can travel there from the U.S. without a passport. What more do you really want?

As an aside, consider Customs and Border Protection's opinion:

quote:

U.S. Citizens and Lawful Permanent Residents (LPR's) who travel directly between parts of the United States, which includes Guam, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, American Samoa, Swains Island and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands (CNMI), without touching at a foreign port or place, are not required to present a valid U.S. Passport or U.S. Green Card.
https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/980/~/needing-a-passport-to-enter-the-united-states-from-u.s.-territories
(emphasis added)

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

tarepanda posted:

I got a paperwhite after having the old keyboarded 3G... and I have to say, I really miss having page-turn buttons. Love the screen, miss the buttons.

That was actually one of the different features that made me pause. I'm surprised you miss the buttons though. I would have thought that a touch screen would be simpler. I intend to do readings for school and work on the Kindle, so the annotation and comment functions are really important for me. I would think a touch screen would make those easier to use.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Bloody Mayhem posted:

That was actually one of the different features that made me pause. I'm surprised you miss the buttons though. I would have thought that a touch screen would be simpler. I intend to do readings for school and work on the Kindle, so the annotation and comment functions are really important for me. I would think a touch screen would make those easier to use.

I haven't used the Paperwhite, but the Keyboards page buttons really are very nicely positioned. You can comfortably hold it in one hand and just flex your thumb to turn pages. I also can't imagine that a touchscreen would be easier to type with than the keyboard, but I seem to have more trouble using touchscreens than most people do.

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!
Many government agencies 'define' the United States to include them for expedience in definition; for example, the IRS collects taxes from the territories so it specifically defines the U.S. for their purposes as including the inhabited territories.

People born there have citizenship, but because Congress decided it. It wasn't originally because they were considered part of the country as part of the 14th Amendment. Also, people born in American Samoa do not receive automatic citizenship; is that part of the country?

If they're part of the country then why maintain the dichotomy of incorporated vs unincorporated territories? Are we saying there are parts of the country itself where the Constitution holds force only to the extent Congress wants it to?

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

Tiggum posted:

I haven't used the Paperwhite, but the Keyboards page buttons really are very nicely positioned. You can comfortably hold it in one hand and just flex your thumb to turn pages. I also can't imagine that a touchscreen would be easier to type with than the keyboard, but I seem to have more trouble using touchscreens than most people do.

For actual typing, the keyboard can't hurt. But I was thinking of scrolling through a page, then selecting a word to highlight, etc. Just touching a word on screen seems simpler, like how using a mouse to click something is easier than using the arrow buttons.

I guess it really depends on when the Paperwhite is released in Canada. Amazon hasn't said much more than "2013" for now, unfortunately.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Golbez posted:

Many government agencies 'define' the United States to include them for expedience in definition; for example, the IRS collects taxes from the territories so it specifically defines the U.S. for their purposes as including the inhabited territories.

If you're not willing to allow the United States government to define what is and is not part of the United States, I'm really unsure what you would consider an authoritative source on the point. But what the hell, let's quote the definition of United States from Title 8 of the US Code:

quote:

(38) The term “United States”, except as otherwise specifically herein provided, when used in a geographical sense, means the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii, Puerto Rico, Guam, the Virgin Islands of the United States, and the Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands.
http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1101

Golbez posted:

If they're part of the country then why maintain the dichotomy of incorporated vs unincorporated territories? Are we saying there are parts of the country itself where the Constitution holds force only to the extent Congress wants it to?

To a certain extent, although I'd like to note that 1) the cases that made that distinction are old and somewhat questioned and 2) the Supreme Court gets to decide if a constitutional guarantee should apply or not, on a provision by provision basis.
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=442&invol=465

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

Bloody Mayhem posted:

For actual typing, the keyboard can't hurt. But I was thinking of scrolling through a page, then selecting a word to highlight, etc. Just touching a word on screen seems simpler, like how using a mouse to click something is easier than using the arrow buttons.

I guess it really depends on when the Paperwhite is released in Canada. Amazon hasn't said much more than "2013" for now, unfortunately.

Could you not just buy one from USA?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

ulmont posted:

If you're not willing to allow the United States government to define what is and is not part of the United States, I'm really unsure what you would consider an authoritative source on the point.
Different parts define things different ways. For example, Palmyra Atoll was included with Hawaii for purposes of a judicial district, but under no political definition is it part of Hawaii.

quote:

But what the hell, let's quote the definition of United States from Title 8 of the US Code:

http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/8/1101
I've liked to think of this as expedience, but it's becoming more and more clear that they actually do define it as such.

quote:

To a certain extent, although I'd like to note that 1) the cases that made that distinction are old and somewhat questioned and 2) the Supreme Court gets to decide if a constitutional guarantee should apply or not, on a provision by provision basis.
http://caselaw.lp.findlaw.com/cgi-bin/getcase.pl?court=US&vol=442&invol=465
Yeah, the Insular Cases are pretty old, and have been chipped away at, but have never been specifically overturned, and our own government still extensively uses the incorporated/unincorporated terminology. And also, if the Supreme Court can determine what parts of the Constitution apply to a region then is it on the same status as the incorporated territories (I think the Constitution was held to apply to Alaska Territory between incorporation and statehood, for example)?

There's also the issue of leaving the country. It seems generally held nowadays that a state cannot leave, nor can an incorporated territory. But Puerto Rico does have the option of leaving.

It would be nice if the federal government came right out and said what was part of what. The fact that 99% of the statistics the government puts out are for the fifty states and federal district doesn't help. The Census Population Clock, for example, omits the territories, which is a substantial 4 million people.

I like the idea of the incorporated/unincorporated dichotomy because it makes things simple to me. :P Like the UK and its territories! But unlike France and its, it seems to treat everything as an internal territory. But I guess I'm slowly loosening up on it. I just wish there was a straightforward answer.

Maybe I need to include all the territories on my map (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Territorial_evolution_of_the_united_states) and make a new color for unincorporated ones.

Bloody Mayhem
Jan 25, 2007

ineptmule posted:

Could you not just buy one from USA?

Amazon doesn't ship the Paperwhites to Canada (yet).

And warranties are only valid within the US. Besides, driving to the closest American city would probably cost more than the Kindle itself, and I don't know anyone there who I could ship it to.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Golbez posted:

Yeah, the Insular Cases are pretty old, and have been chipped away at, but have never been specifically overturned, and our own government still extensively uses the incorporated/unincorporated terminology. And also, if the Supreme Court can determine what parts of the Constitution apply to a region then is it on the same status as the incorporated territories (I think the Constitution was held to apply to Alaska Territory between incorporation and statehood, for example)?

The Supreme Court can determine what parts of the Constitution apply to an unincorporated territory (Puerto Rico, in the case I linked to).

Golbez posted:

There's also the issue of leaving the country. It seems generally held nowadays that a state cannot leave, nor can an incorporated territory. But Puerto Rico does have the option of leaving.

Puerto Rico can't leave without the permission of the US Congress. The US Congress could, in theory, vote to allow a state to leave, but the odds are much lower of that happening.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I gave my co-worker a back pop by lifting him up quickly and leaning back. For about a minute after I did it, my vision had little squiggly color-shifting lines in random spots. If I had to give it a name I'd call it "seeing stars" but it was more like rainbow snakes. Is there a name for that?

randyest
Sep 1, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

I gave my co-worker a back pop by lifting him up quickly and leaning back. For about a minute after I did it, my vision had little squiggly color-shifting lines in random spots. If I had to give it a name I'd call it "seeing stars" but it was more like rainbow snakes. Is there a name for that?
I also get that occasionally, often in the same situation (amateur chiropractoring my wife) and I think it's something to do with reduced blood to the brain, but I'd also like to know if there's a name or clear explanation available.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

Congratulations! You;ve just fallen in love.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

So there are double-barrelled surnames. What happens if two people with double-barrelled surnames marry each other? I imagine they really have only two options: choose either parent's surname or combine it into a four-barrelled one. Has there been an egalitarian yet elegant way of resolving this?

Experto Crede
Aug 19, 2008

Keep on Truckin'

Vegetable posted:

So there are double-barrelled surnames. What happens if two people with double-barrelled surnames marry each other? I imagine they really have only two options: choose either parent's surname or combine it into a four-barrelled one. Has there been an egalitarian yet elegant way of resolving this?

Some families have tripled barrelled names. I don't imagine adding another to that clusterfuck will make much difference.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Golbez posted:

How long do I wait until bothering someone on eBay about when they're going to ship my item? I bought a Christmas tree off eBay. The auction ended Dec 2, I paid on Dec 3. It's now Dec 5, with a proposed receiving window of Dec 7-Dec 20. Since this is obviously something we want by Christmas and also something that obviously can't be sent next-day, I'd like it shipped out sooner rather than later, but I also don't want to be a harassing jerk.

Start with a friendly inquiring email "Hey, have you shipped this yet?". Or, just to be clear, when you say that you paid, was it through paypal or a check? (I know almost no one uses a check now a days) He could be waiting for the money to clear, which I would call a very valid reason to wait.

If he responds right away with anything positive (Just sent it out today), let it go, but ask if he received an estimated date. If you don't get a response fairly quickly, (by Sat) then you can start bugging him. That gives him a whole week to get his act together.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Is barreled just a euphemism for hyphenated?

Golbez
Oct 9, 2002

1 2 3!
1 2 3!

CzarChasm posted:

Start with a friendly inquiring email "Hey, have you shipped this yet?". Or, just to be clear, when you say that you paid, was it through paypal or a check? (I know almost no one uses a check now a days) He could be waiting for the money to clear, which I would call a very valid reason to wait.

If he responds right away with anything positive (Just sent it out today), let it go, but ask if he received an estimated date. If you don't get a response fairly quickly, (by Sat) then you can start bugging him. That gives him a whole week to get his act together.

PayPal. I'll ask, thanks.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

El_Elegante posted:

Is barreled just a euphemism for hyphenated?
In this case yeah. It's used occasionally when there are two of something next to eachother, like a double barreled shotgun (the original usage.) I know I've heard it in contexts other than last names and shotguns but I'm struggling to think of one.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Vegetable posted:

Do you mean this generally or have a certain case in mind?

I'm pretty sure multiple last names among non-Hispanic folks is a recent development, so there's no complex historical rules about this. (Don't royalty usually have tons of names though?) So each person confronted with this problem makes their own decision, and I bet the best answer is obvious to them. How's that for egalitarian and elegant?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Vegetable posted:

So there are double-barrelled surnames. What happens if two people with double-barrelled surnames marry each other?
Leone Sextus Denys Oswolf Fraudatifilius Tollemache-Tollemache de Orellana Plantagenet Tollemache-Tollemache happens. :colbert: