Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Oooh that Datsun is magical. I think you've posted it before and elicited a reaction from me. It's so perfect :swoon: bless you for such a perfect automotive example of history at its finest!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Oooh that Datsun is magical. I think you've posted it before and elicited a reaction from me. It's so perfect :swoon: bless you for such a perfect automotive example of history at its finest!

Thanks! Here's some pics and content for those of you who don't read the track day and racing thread:

Blooot posted:

If you get the chance to run Thunderhill in reverse, do it!

Here's a couple youtubes shot from the right rear quarter panel of my 510 last week during a Golden Gate Lotus Club track day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5VwffEciU1w&feature=g-upl -- chasing my friends E36 M3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b271albASSo&feature=g-upl -- catching and passing an Esprit on R-Compounds

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

You Am I posted:

Yeah, same car, different name

Well gently caress me. That would have been really, really useful to know a couple of years ago.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

ErectorBeast posted:

Yeah, a 283. It needs air conditioning, and I plan to get new seats (they have shag seat covers on them right now) and a new sound system, but I really like it, it's an awesome car and quite the head-turner. The guy who owned it before me replaced the bench seat with bucket seats and furnished a custom oak wood console between them, it's pretty badass. Still needs work though.

Thats cool, I think know exactly what console you are talking about, its in like every old Chevy truck that has bucket seats. Is it a powerglide or some kind of manual?

I have a 67 C10 with a 283 and a three on the tree. Its got a cam and some long tubes. Its slow but it sounds fuckin sick (just do this instead of a stereo).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yik6UshyEhE

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Blooot posted:

Thanks! Here's some pics and content for those of you who don't read the track day and racing thread:
Holy :circlefap:! My wife and I are getting ready to build a house and it will have a 3 car garage and I've been wanting a project 510 for years. The Mrs. is on board too as she thinks they're 'cute'. It's a dream of mine to do. Do you have any threads with more info on your build? What's a good resource online for the 510 community?

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
Blooot, how is 510 ownership and can you suggest any good resources for more information?

It's on my list of possible project cars and beyond the basics I don't know a lot about the cars, nor have I ever actually owned a Datsun/Nissan.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
I guess it's time for a new version of the 510 thread, Blooot. :)

I spent a few weeks looking seriously into how I could swing it in my climate and came away convinced that I would basically need to build a dedicated garage for it and lock the little fucker up in the winter, or basically strip it down to a bare bodyshell, make any repairs, and do my own weatherproofing and paint and still not let it out in the winter. There are still a few diehards who make the sacrifice (though the 240/260/280Z seems much easier to keep alive than a 510). I'm endlessly jealous of anyone who can pull it off, whether here or there.

Great little cars, though. If work ever moves me to, say, California I'm going to have one purchased before the plane lands.

Blooot
Mar 19, 2001

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Do you have any threads with more info on your build? What's a good resource online for the 510 community?

Here's one that covers my nearly 10 years with the car. Some of the image links are broken, but all the words are there (with some cross posting from here).

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=2177

The Realm is a great resource, and the people are great and generally helpful. There was also a paper newsletter called the Dime Quarterly that ran for years. It is now defunct, but all the issues are available via google docs here: http://dimequarterly.blogspot.com/p/back-issues-ordering.html (oh hey, that's my car on the cover of the issue pictured)

Seat Safety Switch posted:

I guess it's time for a new version of the 510 thread, Blooot. :)

Great little cars, though. If work ever moves me to, say, California I'm going to have one purchased before the plane lands.

Not enough of them here to warrant a thread (3 maybe?), and I really barely drive or work on mine and lack the desire to start an UF style blog, so it'd be archived before you know it. There was a Z car thread, but I think that's gone too.

Mat_Drinks posted:

Blooot, how is 510 ownership and can you suggest any good resources for more information?

It's on my list of possible project cars and beyond the basics I don't know a lot about the cars, nor have I ever actually owned a Datsun/Nissan.

Check the links above. As for ownership they are super easy to work on as they are simple like most vintage cars, but without being TOO old timey. When I go lapping I usually have the oldest car there, which fun. You always get the "I never should have sold mine" lines, that many old car owners get. Lots of mod potential, and they really do need mods to be fun and safe to drive at the limit.

IMO the prices now are pretty ridiculous when you can get a nicer 2002 for cheaper (2002s are two steps above in terms of quality of interior, if you care about this). I was trying to help a friend buy one -- he has about 10K and wants something that is suitable for driving as soon as it was purchased -- and we haven't found poo poo in that range for the past 8 months or so. Starting from a lower end car or picking up someone else project is probably the best way to go. Make sure all the exterior parts you want are there (especially bumpers & fenders) as these are $$ and NLA for the most part. Everything else is pretty available.

hamburgerman
Feb 29, 2012
Here is a photo of my cars last time out before winter.

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'

Blooot posted:

IMO the prices now are pretty ridiculous when you can get a nicer 2002 for cheaper (2002s are two steps above in terms of quality of interior, if you care about this). I was trying to help a friend buy one -- he has about 10K and wants something that is suitable for driving as soon as it was purchased -- and we haven't found poo poo in that range for the past 8 months or so. Starting from a lower end car or picking up someone else project is probably the best way to go. Make sure all the exterior parts you want are there (especially bumpers & fenders) as these are $$ and NLA for the most part. Everything else is pretty available.

Awesome. Thanks for the thoughts. The 2002 is on the same 'maybe' list as is the 1g Celica, and a few other small/weird cars from the 70s. It really just depends on what is available when I start seriously shopping. Whatever I get likely won't see track time and will just be a fun car to drive on nice days in the summer and on the weekends with my kid.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
A very rare occasion where my two cars are parked across from each other.

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

I love your cars, but why the hell aren't they both in a garage? (default answer: Massachusetts?)

11BulletCatcher
Feb 27, 2010

This Cold Ass Honkey Ain't No Jive Turkey, Ya Dig?
My current chariot destined to carry me away from Fort Polk: 1996 Mercury Grand Marquis with 188,561 miles, as of this post.

Nodoze
Aug 17, 2006

If it's only for a night I can live without you

kimbo305 posted:

You got a white FC Turbo :allears:

Bulk Vanderhuge
May 2, 2009

womp womp womp womp

kimbo305 posted:

:ohdear: I don't feel so bad now for having to street park my new car.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

MiniFoo posted:

I love your cars, but why the hell aren't they both in a garage? (default answer: Massachusetts?)

If I could afford a house, I would just be street parking better cars. The vette has an off-street spot, but it's still outdoors, so not much of an improvement.

Nodoze posted:

You got a white FC Turbo :allears:

I haven't had a turbo car in a while. Was dropping people (1 guy up front, 2 girls wedged in parcel shelf in the back) off after a party and I couldn't stop repeatedly getting into boost and then having the wastegate dump. It's so fun.

_firehawk
Sep 12, 2004
I would be worried to hell some parallel parker would feel out the spot and nudge that vette.

Also to on the grand Marquis you shouldn't use photo bucket. Its a great cruiser. My grandparents have been rocking them for years.

Lord Gaga
May 9, 2010

kimbo305 posted:

If I could afford a house, I would just be street parking better cars. The vette has an off-street spot, but it's still outdoors, so not much of an improvement.

I haven't had a turbo car in a while. Was dropping people (1 guy up front, 2 girls wedged in parcel shelf in the back) off after a party and I couldn't stop repeatedly getting into boost and then having the wastegate dump. It's so fun.

... am I nuts or did you not have an SVT Focus a while ago. Howd you go from an SVT focus to a C6 and FC Turbo in a year?

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Bulk Vanderhuge posted:

:ohdear: I don't feel so bad now for having to street park my new car.

I live in Queens, NY. Streets aren't exactly spacious or roomy. Someone a few blocks from me recently got a loaded Nissan GTR. Like the $90,000+ one.

Street parks it. I cringe every time I pass it because it's getting a bunch of bumper scratches as people park within inches of the front and back of it no matter where he puts it. I've never seen the owner, but I just shake my head whenever I go down that block and see it sitting there sandwiched between the normal beaters.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

An especially nice shot from earlier this year:

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

bsamu posted:

An especially nice shot from earlier this year:

How much did that thing set you back and how do you like it? I think they're really pretty cars but I haven't heard anything about how they actually run or if they're worth it.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

I try to give the nose as much space as possible. I'm definitely worried, but it's not gonna stop me from using my car.

Lord Gaga posted:

... am I nuts or did you not have an SVT Focus a while ago. Howd you go from an SVT focus to a C6 and FC Turbo in a year?

It was a while ago. I've had a few cars in between, some of which I haven't posted here. In Rhyno's thread, I'm a case of "do as I say, not as I do."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

kimbo305 posted:

I try to give the nose as much space as possible. I'm definitely worried, but it's not gonna stop me from using my car.

It was a while ago. I've had a few cars in between, some of which I haven't posted here. In Rhyno's thread, I'm a case of "do as I say, not as I do."

You're like my Sensei of Cartial Arts.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k

Sepist fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Jan 22, 2013

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Sepist posted:

So I bought a thing

You'll love it. FIOS service kicks rear end.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

2012 GTI Autobahn w/DSG. poo poo's fun.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

You've got the cutest little baby face...
Took the T-Bird out to the park for family Christmas pics. After we were done I took a couple pics.

Dat trunk...

I wasn't sure if it was old enough for the Tome of Antiquities thread so I posted it here. I've been busy with it in the two months I've had it. It's now got an inspection sticker after fixing the horn, brakes, and headlights. The top now fully works as do all the windows.

I've still got a nagging exhaust leak and it's running a bit rich. I figured it's not enough of a basket case to deserve it's own thread as all I really need to do now is gut and replace the entire interior and patch a few rust holes in the trunk and wheel wells. I didn't show the interior as it really is a bit nasty. It's a great 20 footer at this point.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

:eyepop:

drat bro.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Kill-9 posted:

Took the T-Bird out to the park for family Christmas pics. After we were done I took a couple pics.

unf. That is the first T-Bird I've ever liked. Never would have thought how awesome slamming makes it.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

That T-Bird is loving class :eyepop:

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

General_Failure posted:

unf. That is the first T-Bird I've ever liked. Never would have thought how awesome slamming makes it.

Thanks.

I think it's about perfect. Dropped about 2". Makes navigating my own driveway a chore. If I have people in the back seat they have to get out before I can back in to the garage or else I'll drag my pipes.

No one commented on the steering wheel. Here's a better look.

It swings away to make entering and exiting easier. On a lowered car it's a godsend.

Remove the tonneau and you have room for 3 of your best friends. My coworkers argue over who gets to ride to lunch with me. :) In this pic you can see how the car was stored in a garage for 20 years with the top down and the tonneau on. The back seat is spotless. The fronts, well, that is as clean as two hours of elbow grease could get them.

The car was restored in the 80's sometime. The paint job is amazing but the interior was half-assed. The interior was originally beige. They dyed and painted it. The dash and door panels are covered in white paint. They painted over bulbs in the dash and everything. If you look you can see peeling paint. I plan on gutting it and doing a white with red trim interior.

Trunk space? Ha! With the spare tire in there(currently missing) you might squeeze in a single overnight bag.

Mistayke
May 7, 2003

Kill-9 posted:

It's a beautiful car, really nice! But for some reason my eye keeps drifting over to that gap between the right side bumper and fender.

bsamu
Mar 11, 2006

Bob NewSCART posted:

How much did that thing set you back and how do you like it? I think they're really pretty cars but I haven't heard anything about how they actually run or if they're worth it.

I paid MSRP for it because I was an impatient baby and had to get it right when it came out. The car is fast enough (although it could be faster). The suspension is stiff but not so-much as to make it unbearable as a daily driver. It's very well balanced and is a blast to drive. In my opinion it was worth it, although if I went for used car instead there are plenty of better deals out there. As a new car, though, it's great at its price point.

Kill-9
Aug 2, 2004

Mistayke posted:

It's a beautiful car, really nice! But for some reason my eye keeps drifting over to that gap between the right side bumper and fender.

The gap is about the same on both sides. I think I'm just off center/level a bit in the photo. Looks like I need to adjust bumper and the hood stop on the left side.

Of course, now that you've pointed it out to me it's going to drive me nuts until I fix it and can get another pic. :argh:

edit: Working on it this morning and I got the heater fan working again. Yea! Also managed to debug the wiring to the interior light(one of those that was painted over). Now the light comes on with the doors opening. I get a nice dull glow through the white paint. Time to track down a new lens if that's even available.

Kill-9 fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 9, 2012

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I'm sure I'll take some flak about the wheels and stickers, but I started digging through some old (really old) pics and found my Integra - that pic is from 2003.

1991 LS, purchased for $1200 with a crunched RF corner, in 2003. 130k, automatic, freshly rebuilt transmission, new timing belt/water pump, looked brand new inside - bought it from a friend who was the 2nd owner, and had all service records (including the window sticker) from when it was brand new. Traded a bunch of :420: for the wheels that were on it in that photo.

RF corner wasn't pretty when I got it - already had the OMG JDM lights, but previous owner drove the RF under a truck.. Normally I could care less about JDM lights on any other car, but they really look a lot better on the 90-93 Integras. And they lit the road up drat well with zero glare, but gently caress if you can find H4H bulbs easily...

New light, junkyad fender, hammered out the RF corner of the radiator support. Drove it for 2 years until it started burning insane amounts of oil (when a PO tells you "yeah I put in an adjustable FPR!" you should maybe check to see how lean it's running... wound up doing expensive damage)

Out of every car I've owned, I miss that turd more than anything. Fun as hell to drive despite the automatic :smith: and well, late 80s/early 90s Japanese hatch that drove like it was on rails...

A quick look at Craigslist shows clean 90-93 Tegs going for far more than what I could get for my Altima. And really beat up ones... going for more than what I could get for my Altima. :argh: At least the Altima has a nearly perfect interior and frigid a/c..

Also if anyone wants to trade a relatively rust-free 90-93 Integra with working a/c for my shitpile 99 Altima, well... :downsgun: I miss the hell out of that car.

e: when plugs look like this after 5000 miles, you might be running a bit lean:

e2: roommate at the time had a 90 RS with a 5 speed. His key worked on my car, and vice versa. :argh: Honda :argh: My 91 pretty much fell into my lap, though the friend that sold it to me was also friends with my then-roommate.

Mine got traded for labor when I couldn't afford an engine (paid $200 for a Civic that needed a clutch, friend swapped the clutch in exchange for the car, car ran on 2 cylinders by then but still had ice cold a/c; he put a junkyard engine in it and passed it along what he claims was "a family at [his] church that were homeless and needed a car to find work" - I'm not religious, but I couldn't ask for a better new home for a car, and knowing this guy, I have absolutely zero doubts that the car actually went to a family in need), roommate sold his when the gearbox turned its innies into outies and allowed the diff to escape. Good times, I think?

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 12:28 on Dec 10, 2012

sports
Sep 1, 2012

What a beautiful yacht. Please get a landau cover on it stat.

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.
So, a while ago I had a Castrol rally kit fitted to my Celica GT-Four:

The last bit of the puzzle as far as cosmetic changes to the car was to sort out the frankly awful interior, full of tired fabric and various things that had seen better days. That was done this weekend:

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
First that T-Bird, now this.

I don't think this raging hard on could be any, well, harder.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Jesus. Can we see some more pics of the exterior though? That is such a dope car

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
That's really awesome but you should have had the cage fitted before getting the interior done.