Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Insensative_Asshole
Dec 18, 2007

blackmage posted:

Whoa really? I only have a vague idea how the claim thing works. I got some armour and a weapon out of some Lost Legacies thing, but other stuff I don't get (a lamp post?). It's changed all so much, I'm so confused.

Those are just random stupid poo poo you can put in your guild house. Starting at level 51, you can start putting points into Innate Run Speed under the general AA tab. It maxes at rank 5, which requires level 60 or 61 I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
You can buy SoW potions in the bazaar. Though I guess they could be expensive for someone that isn't established..

Pogue_Mahone
Aug 23, 2007

Pissehead in the Making
Soooo... I played EQ back when Kunark came out, I was tempted to come back after playing P1999 for a while and working out that I dont have the time to sink in to EQ properly, but I fancy playing it again for a bit of nostalgia. Will my character still be there? I ahve a 65 shaman from what I remember, and a few other characters. Or would it be worth just starting again from fresh? Also, if I was to play on my old account, would I be able to play for free and still get access to my old characters?

Sorry if this has been asked before, bit of a big thread!

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

All your old characters will still be there. You can also get to 65 in a few hours if you feel the need to start a new one.

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Anyone have a guild on FV I can use for portals? I'm totally unreliable as a guild member, just need portals.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pilsner posted:

Finally, remember that if you don't really enjoy a Ranger, it's not worth playing one just because they can gain fast AA. Same goes with any class with an XP farming advantage. I'm not saying rangers are bad by the way, not at all, but keep it in mind when you're jealous of other classes' farming abilities.

This is a good point. I think what I was looking for coming back to EQ1 was rushing up, getting a bunch of AAs, and seeing some fun combat spam with my monk. I never really made it up to super high levels when I was playing back in the day, so missed out on the AA progression deal. While AA's come decently fast, with how slow leveling is still, I'm thinking the payoff might not be worth it.

gang control
Nov 1, 2007
what a thing to say at the table
Would any kind FV gentlegoon be willing to let me /testcopy with some nice Shadowknight gear? I'd love to be able to plow my way into some of the newer expansions on Test to check them out.

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!
Since we are talking about farming, how good/bad are monks at it? Which classes are the best these days?

On another matter. Is it worth buying a mount? Or should i just be farming one at 66? Is there also a way to tell how fast each one is?

2X2 Eyes fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Dec 4, 2012

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

2X2 Eyes posted:

Since we are talking about farming, how good/bad are monks at it? Which classes are the best these days?

On another matter. Is it worth buying a mount? Or should i just be farming one at 66? Is there also a way to tell how fast each one is?
Hmm, by farming, do you mean platinum or items? Let me point out a few things:

- Platinum comes very easy. Power through the levels, and in the 60's when you most likely hit The Hole, you will be rolling in dough. If you stick to it, you will likely hit 100k platinum if you don't spend too much cash on gear. I don't think anyone has the need to farm over and over for plat.
- Items of use aren't really farmable solo until you reach very high levels. Defiant is random, so you can't farm it, and the next step up for you will most likely be the lvl 80 House of Thule gear (see my OP), which requires you to be in the late 80's, decked out, and at least dual-boxing to solo "farm".

Next, let's discuss monks. I've played one extensively to lvl 95, and my view is that monks are some of the best at "general trash killing". Monks don't care if mobs are outside or inside, whether they're casters or not, whether they're spread out of not, whether they're magic resistant or not. They plow through mobs, but they must not hit too hard though, as we are melees. Monks really shine once you get to the late 80's and get the AA that reduce the cooldown of Mend - down to 30 seconds at lvl 90. Monks can also do some ghetto swarming (killing dozens of mobs at once) at high levels with good gear, which is super fun, although not very efficient for much other than power levelling a bit.

Other classes have different strengths. SKs are the best swarmers, and can take up to 100 mobs at once in certain zones. Rangers have their headshot farming, which is very fast for XP, but requires strict level ranges, must be outside, and certain other conditions must be met. I don't know too much about caster farming, but what I read is that Magicians can solo extremely tough mobs due to their pets being super strong these days. Necros, Wizards and Druids still need space to kite, if I'm not mistaken, but I don't think they would be considered good farmers. Shamans are rather slow when it comes to damage, but that's how it's always been - slow and safe.

Mounts: As a monk, I wouldn't bother. They are cumbersome to use in EQ (accelleration and decelleration on stopping), and you can't do special attacks or feign death while mounted. Just keep investing in the run speed AAs, they go up to rank 8, which is fast enough IMO. You can read about the speeds here: http://samanna.net/eq.general/buffs.shtml (middle of the page).

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

No one cat should have all that power
Another thing I feel about monks is that the more you outdate content in terms of gear and levels, the better monks are. That goes for everyone, but theres definitely stuff my monk can plow through that other classes might struggle on, since he can just keep mending damage off endlessly. The avoidance, 30 second mend, and FD work great on content an expansion or two old, and you can just blaze through everything without ever feeling at risk. The only time I really felt threatened was in VoA and UF and that's because mob dps was just too high to keep up with, I couldn't mend the difference, and I wasn't evading their attacks like I did other stuff. I think VoA in general gave people a lot of problems at the time I was playing though and some stuff like mob hp got nerfed later into the expansion.

At some point in T3 VoA was the line where I just decided, "I don't want to get hit by any of this stuff, ever." So it's kind of like...you can tank old stuff and trash like a boss, but current expansion stuff will probably give you grief.

I never use mounts on my monk, ever. Run8 is enough for me.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Oh man, this RoF random drop gear is going to be so cheap in a couple months. Some of the items already have like 20 up in the baz with prices down to 15k. HoT stuff for that much 6 months after the expansion came out.

This stuff is a pretty hard gently caress You to VoA, 2100hp items that are uncommon-rare drops off anything in the expansion. From a few nights of grinding, about 1.2 drops per an hour for these. I think that means around 1/50-1/70 chance. So even if you never use the bazaar and just solo the weak con mobs in shard's landing, you will be able to gear yourself up in RoF.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Pilsner posted:

Necros, Wizards and Druids still need space to kite, if I'm not mistaken, but I don't think they would be considered good farmers.

Necros can molo current content named without issue with the pet tanking, but it does require a lot of AA (pet survivability, dot dps) and a decent pet focus. Farmed quite a few named in Shard's Landing over the weekend (for gear that is dropping in price like a brick :doh:)

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
Pestilent paralysis allows root rotting way better than anything necros used to do. Without a ton of AAs the pet is a really low damage DOT (above ~70 anyway) and an awful tank.

If you're leveling a new character up it owns though because pets are totally imbalanced below 60.

xZAOx
Sep 6, 2004
PORKCHOP SANDWICHES
Maybe it's just me, but all this talk about a class' solo abilities defeats the main enjoyment of EQ.

If I want a solo experience, I think there's a billion better choices out there. The fact that it got to where I was just logging on to solo a lesson is why I quit the EQ goon rush this year.

I know it's the double-edged sword - you don't want to sit around not being able to do anything, so being able to solo is important, but that shouldn't be the dominant style of gameplay for EQ (IMO, of course).

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

xZAOx posted:

Maybe it's just me, but all this talk about a class' solo abilities defeats the main enjoyment of EQ.

Kind of, but the playerbase on my server is pretty much split into raiders, people who want to just grind a few spots for AA for months on end, and low levels. Trying to get a group together to do VoA T2-3 quests was horrible and not fun. I also like going back and doing a lot of old stuff for completion achievements. Chances are no one else wants to quest in older zones like Underfoot, so solo just is a fact a lot of the time. I play sporadically so getting a regular crew is impossible.

Chum Scandal
Oct 30, 2003

Ideally you'd always have a full group of friends to do stuff with, sure. However having some ability to get things done yourself is a good supplement if you work/play odd hours, want to do stuff other people don't care about, or want to keep playing while making new buddies when the annual goon rush inevitably dies out.

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!
All the info has been great. It just seems like all the websites I check are really outdated in regards to the current state of things.

Like for example, I have 201 safe fall but none of the places they suggest to go to will raise it past that point (spent hours in Erudin on the portals without a single point increase). If any one has any suggestions I would appreciate it. :)

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer

2X2 Eyes posted:

All the info has been great. It just seems like all the websites I check are really outdated in regards to the current state of things.

Like for example, I have 201 safe fall but none of the places they suggest to go to will raise it past that point (spent hours in Erudin on the portals without a single point increase). If any one has any suggestions I would appreciate it. :)

My suggestion would be, unless you are incredibly bored just leave it at 201. I can think of about a billion more interesting things than falling from a cliff in everquest for a 1/50 chance of a skill-up.

that said, I found this confusing piece of information

quote:

When you zone into the Dreadlands via the Luclin portal there is a mountain a little to the left of straight in front of you as you arrive. This must be done in Windowed mode to keep the spin going. Run to the top of the mountain and at the same time hit auto run and hit and hold one of the turn keys on keyboard. then while holding the key down use the mouse to pull up menu bar and click on that to grey out the window bar at the top of the game. Now you can release the turn key and click back into the game window and you will keep turning. You will loop down the mountain gaining skill point. When you get near the bottom click and hold the right mouse key and guide the toon up to the top and release the mouse button and the looping will go on.

Setset fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Dec 4, 2012

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.
What's the state of things with respect to dual / multi boxing? Is it explicitly allowed, allowed with sort of a blind eye, or could you get in trouble if your little tag-along group is too obvious?

And also in that vein, what interesting class interactions are there, particularly with monk? I remember seeing a lot of shamans back in the day, I guess it makes sense for the heals / slow. Plus that kickass DD proc buff - are there higher tier versions of that spell?

Was also thinking ranger might be an interesting pair for some afkish-dps from the bow autoattacks, and just rely on the healer merc if I need the heals.

Aside from that, it seems like it would be difficult to add other DPS classes without splitting attention too much.

BJA
Apr 11, 2006

It has to start somewhere
It has to start sometime
What better place than here
What better time than now
I'm pretty sure boxing has been allowed since before eq even had built in windowed mode.

I 3-4 box most times, my usual crew is bard, shaman, mage. Having healer and tank mercs really open up your options. You can play a melee dps and Caster dps with no problems.

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

BJA posted:

I'm pretty sure boxing has been allowed since before eq even had built in windowed mode.

Wasn't sure if that changed when they went F2P, since as long as you were paying your $15 a month they have a big reason not to care.

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Devor posted:

What's the state of things with respect to dual / multi boxing? Is it explicitly allowed, allowed with sort of a blind eye, or could you get in trouble if your little tag-along group is too obvious?

And also in that vein, what interesting class interactions are there, particularly with monk? I remember seeing a lot of shamans back in the day, I guess it makes sense for the heals / slow. Plus that kickass DD proc buff - are there higher tier versions of that spell?

Was also thinking ranger might be an interesting pair for some afkish-dps from the bow autoattacks, and just rely on the healer merc if I need the heals.

Aside from that, it seems like it would be difficult to add other DPS classes without splitting attention too much.
Shaman remains a great boxer. Great buffs, haste and all that, okay debuffs, great emergency heals, rez, insta-cast levitate and invis, SoW, nearly unlimited mana due to AA Canni, and the DD proc buff continues up to maximum level for a good DPS boost. By far the best pick to box with a monk. I have a lvl 94 shammy that I was lucky enough to get in on the RAF program before they ended it. They also require very few AA to be effective, just a few hundred and you're off to a good start - 1000 and you're virtually capped for useful ones.

I wouldn't recommend a ranger box, bow DPS is not very good *except* when discing, and their melee engagement is actually filled with spells and abilities that must be used for extra damage, which isn't feasable at all at higher levels, as the monk will keep you quite busy pressing buttons.

You could add another DPS class (I would choose shaman though), but it should be a caster, and even better, a pet class like a Magician. They don't have to stand in range and you can control their nukes easily with ISBoxer. I also added a bard as a third box for a while, although they're really boring as all they do is sing. It just felt kinda lame. He added good DPS though, not only because of his songs, but because a 3rd box also indirectly adds a 3rd merc.

As for mercs, I recommend going to tank+cleric merc if you box monk+shaman. While a monk can tank, once you get to tough content you'll appreciate the tank merc greatly. It also feels less stressful that the tanking and healing is automated instead of having mobs pound on you. You can also dismiss the mercs when you don't need them, so they don't suck up xp.

Meow Tse-tung
Oct 11, 2004

Shaman+monk with (sometimes)tank+healer is my setup. Shaman kind of felt increasing irrelevant and I mainly started using him for dots+buffs though. I toyed with the idea of subbing in a bard for overhaste instead of shaman and just buffing now and then when they expired, but I was ultimately too lazy.

I did a large amount of HoT/VoA with just my monk duoing with my friend who did Paladin/enchanter. we used a rogue/cleric/rogue merc. Enchanter wasn't even really there for very much aside from buffing and occasional crowd control and it all felt very effective.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Anyone playing on Zek?

Just started the push to 95 on my new Necro, and rolling a 95 Bard, and my friends 2 beastlords, with mercs we are stomping a lot of stuff.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

D C posted:

Anyone playing on Zek?

Just started the push to 95 on my new Necro, and rolling a 95 Bard, and my friends 2 beastlords, with mercs we are stomping a lot of stuff.

i play on zek sometimes with a fellow goon, but it's kinda off and on since we dont know people that still play there. I can be convinced to do so, however, because zek is the greatest.

2X2 Eyes
May 30, 2010

|||||||||!

Ninkobei posted:

My suggestion would be, unless you are incredibly bored just leave it at 201. I can think of about a billion more interesting things than falling from a cliff in everquest for a 1/50 chance of a skill-up.

I don't know if I can live with myself. Every time I check my skills I will see 201/340. :ohdear:

It may have to wait anyway as I am trying to rush to 70 and get out of the hole. It is already getting to me and I have only been here 2 levels. Must grind! :ssj:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I Love You! posted:

i play on zek sometimes with a fellow goon, but it's kinda off and on since we dont know people that still play there. I can be convinced to do so, however, because zek is the greatest.

Hahaha I was going to make fun of you for immediately responding to anyone who mentions Zek like you saw a bat-signal, but then I realized that I'm still reading this thread and haven't played in years...

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

I love reading this thread, and I constantly get the urge to play again. The problem is, whenever I log on, I get incredibly bored within a half hour. The game is just not fun to play (for me at least) without the population of the old days. Sure I can box a whole group, but that's not really fun. I just want to get into a nice 6 man group for a few hours!

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

RCarr posted:

I just want to get into a nice 6 man group for a few hours!

I actually got into one of those that actually lasted a while... right before my laptop went splat on me back in August. It was quite fun and we even had two PC clerics, so one would heal and the other nuke.

EQ just isn't fun for me any more either, though I still like exploring itself, if not progression. Last night I ran out to the new Ocean of Tears, went over to the aviak island, and turned my druid into a tree while I worked at my desk and occasionally BS'd in General chat.

This may sound mad, but I would love to see a single-player, traditional RPG-type EverQuest adaptation - I would buy that in a heartbeat. Sixteen interesting, diverse classes, TONS of lore, and interesting locales (at least in the earlier expansions) would make for a great 6-per-party RPG. I know that it will never happen, but I would love to see it and I would pay full price for it and I NEVER pay full MSRP for a game, ever. It wouldn't even be that expensive to make if they didn't insist on blinging it up with top-end graphics. Just wishful thinking.

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002

Medullah posted:

Hahaha I was going to make fun of you for immediately responding to anyone who mentions Zek like you saw a bat-signal, but then I realized that I'm still reading this thread and haven't played in years...

Hey at least i do still play, you're just some sort of terrible leech person who feeds off my lonliness

Pilsner
Nov 23, 2002

Kinda getting the itch again to play live. EQMac is kinda, but goddamn the ancient client is a beast to deal with. I figure I'd play on Test to get free everything and 3 box or something.

Has anyone tried doing a /testcopy from a non-gold account? If I log in now, most of my inventory should be in that lovely parcel system, do you think that will get transferred with me?

JustJeff88 posted:

This may sound mad, but I would love to see a single-player, traditional RPG-type EverQuest adaptation - I would buy that in a heartbeat. Sixteen interesting, diverse classes, TONS of lore, and interesting locales (at least in the earlier expansions) would make for a great 6-per-party RPG. I know that it will never happen, but I would love to see it and I would pay full price for it and I NEVER pay full MSRP for a game, ever. It wouldn't even be that expensive to make if they didn't insist on blinging it up with top-end graphics. Just wishful thinking.
In theory, you could make an EQ emulated server act like that, you'd just have to run it locally on your computer/network, and you could play. It would, of course, require a shitload of work to implement the party structure and scripting all the quests, items, NPCs and such.

Pilsner fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 6, 2012

unclenutzzy
Jun 6, 2007

Pilsner posted:

Has anyone tried doing a /testcopy from a non-gold account? If I log in now, most of my inventory should be in that lovely parcel system, do you think that will get transferred with me?

It will. Just talk to the parcel dude in PoK and you can recover everything that was in those now empty slots.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Pilsner posted:

In theory, you could make an EQ emulated server act like that, you'd just have to run it locally on your computer/network, and you could play. It would, of course, require a shitload of work to implement the party structure and scripting all the quests, items, NPCs and such.

You greatly overestimate my programming capabilities, but thank you for putting that glorious idea in my head. I was thinking something more in the vein of Might & Magic or Wizardry that is probably turn-based and designed to let you control 6 or more toons at once, but it still makes me smile to think of it.

There was actually a program years ago, whose name I have totally forgotten, that let you host your own EQ server. I set it up and, while it was very buggy, it was so fun to run around as a Godlike admin and just do and see everything. I could see what every NPC was carrying (one of the paladin NPC's in Qeynos had a Soulfire!) and kill anything with one button press. My crowning achievement was going down into Old Seb and making Trakanon a merchant. You couldn't fight him for Kunark BP drops, but you could buy them at rock-bottom prices!

"Hello there Nylander, how about a Cobalt Breastplate today?" (This actually happened).

I used to have screenshots of this and now I can't find them. <sigh>

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

I Love You! posted:

If you get the itch, we usually play late PST times. Berate/Prison/Aligator/Gator.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

I Love You! posted:

Hey at least i do still play, you're just some sort of terrible leech person who feeds off my lonliness

I was close to coming back this summer, then I started to see the posts of "Well, apparently no one plays anymore..."

MrTheDevious
May 7, 2006

Ahh nostalgia, you cruel bitch

Medullah posted:

I was close to coming back this summer, then I started to see the posts of "Well, apparently no one plays anymore..."

That's pretty much when the goon crew quits every year. March - June is prime Goon revival time. Once summer rolls around, we all quit again. It's the circle of life

Aragosta
May 12, 2001

hiding in plain sight
Started playing again on the Cazic Thule server. My toon's name is Briano if anyone wants to play.

Just starting to work on the Rain of Fear progression and so far I have to say that this expansion is a step up from the last imho.

Boola
Dec 7, 2005
I'm playing as Beep (85 ranger), Cling (70 Monk), and Zing (72 bard) on Luclin very sporadically.

Any advice on where to level the ranger and monk/bard?

I've tried several places headshotting with the ranger, most recently at Dragonscale Hills. Experience comes slowwww.

I got the two-boxing of the bard and monk together with cleric + warrior mercs down pretty well. Infected Paw is alright but I'm hoping for something better.

Punk da Bundo
Dec 29, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I hate all of you. Every single loving time I read this thread, oh man it sounds fun and BAM, as soon as I log in, I hate myself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Pon de Bundy posted:

I hate all of you. Every single loving time I read this thread, oh man it sounds fun and BAM, as soon as I log in, I hate myself.

Hating yourself is what EQ has always been about. You're getting the old school experience!

So I downloaded the trial for ISBoxer, and tried it out just running three newbie characters around in a platoon. It was pretty slow to start figuring out, but once I got the hang of it, it's pretty powerful.

I'm thinking of rolling up a bard and shaman to catch up with my 66 monk, since I was having a lot of fun with the meta-game of figuring out macros and such. Any advice before I take the plunge?