Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Who can find a virtuous woman,
For her price is far above rubies.

angelicism posted:

Well, I saw her get into the litter box all right for now but if I see her struggling I'll try that.

Although knowing my luck I'll probably take off a finger trying. x.x

Mine weren't having a hard time getting in but now they've been going in more. I saw a post on here about them peeing outside of their box and how cutting a hole in the box might help. Totally did.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

My foster rabbit, Juppo, as I've mentioned before, is sneaky as they come.

I've had my mate round all day, who is her original owner, and she's been fairly quiet, hiding under my chair near her cage and only occasionally coming out to investigate.

My mate just went to the shop, I went for a shower, came back ten minutes later and she's sat on the bed where my mate was sat looking at me as if to say 'This is my spot'.

Got to admit since I've made an effort to get closer to her by sitting on the floor during the day, she's become more comfortable with me, I actually felt honoured when she ran over earlier, put her paw on my chest and pressed her nose against mine :3:

edit: it goes without saying that's she's sat on the only part of my bed that i haven't covered with a towel.

LifeSizePotato
Mar 3, 2005

We've been thinking about getting a friend for our dear Milton. Milly is a 3-year-old neutered male French Lop. Here he is in his usual position:

What sort of bunny would be the most ideal to bond with him? We have a friend with some 6-week-old male Holland Lops, but we're afraid they're too small now, and the bond might be lost after all that work once we get him neutered.

Should we try specifically to get an adult spayed female? We'd like a Holland or French Lop again, but we're just not sure if a certain age/sex combo bonds easier, or if it's really all individual. We want Milton to have a friend, but we're NOT wanting to deal with a drawn out, tedious bonding process for 8 months.

Somewhat of a follow-up to that, do HRS people who bond bunnies for you usually have good, quick results? We're in San Antonio, so I imagine we could find someone to help in Austin and maybe get the bonding done quickly?

I know this really all comes down to individual rabbits, but some tips or guidelines on making this easy would be helpful.

Edit: There's also a male 1-year-old Holland Lop for sale near us, but we'd have to get him neutered. That's part of what prompted this question - should we bother with another male, or is it significantly easier to bond male/female of the same age?

LifeSizePotato fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Dec 3, 2012

Iran-Contrarian
Jan 25, 2006

LifeSizePotato posted:

We've been thinking about getting a friend for our dear Milton. Milly is a 3-year-old neutered male French Lop. Here he is in his usual position:

What sort of bunny would be the most ideal to bond with him? We have a friend with some 6-week-old male Holland Lops, but we're afraid they're too small now, and the bond might be lost after all that work once we get him neutered.

Should we try specifically to get an adult spayed female? We'd like a Holland or French Lop again, but we're just not sure if a certain age/sex combo bonds easier, or if it's really all individual. We want Milton to have a friend, but we're NOT wanting to deal with a drawn out, tedious bonding process for 8 months.

Somewhat of a follow-up to that, do HRS people who bond bunnies for you usually have good, quick results? We're in San Antonio, so I imagine we could find someone to help in Austin and maybe get the bonding done quickly?

I know this really all comes down to individual rabbits, but some tips or guidelines on making this easy would be helpful.

I'm relatively new to house rabbits myself, but my understanding is that getting a spayed/neutered companion is a MUST, and that coed pairs tend to bond much better than boy/boy or girl/girl. Other than that, I can't offer too much advice. Good luck, though! Milton's adorable.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Juppo update: She is laid next to my arm on my bed and seems fairly happy. She's even on the towel!

My mate says she has this look that undoubtedly says 'I'm peeing on your bed, gently caress you', but her nose is twitching, she's grinding her teeth, and she's nuzzling my elbow and I just don't caaaare :3:

I'm definitely being swayed towards being a rabbit person, want my own when my mate can finally take her back.

edit: she's letting me stroke her! God I've grown up with all sorts of pets but this is the first one where I've been overjoyed at its acceptance of me.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Dec 3, 2012

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

LifeSizePotato posted:

Edit: There's also a male 1-year-old Holland Lop for sale near us, but we'd have to get him neutered. That's part of what prompted this question - should we bother with another male, or is it significantly easier to bond male/female of the same age?

You'll probably have better luck with an adult opposite-gendered bun (not hard fact but seems to be the case a lot). Other than that, you'll just have to let him date a few buns to find out who. :)

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

I've been here the whole time, and you're not my real Dad! :emo:
Harriet has started to get really agressive lately. Like she'll charge at me, stomp her forepaws on my foot and growl loudly. Is there anything I can do?

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

bunnyofdoom posted:

Harriet has started to get really agressive lately. Like she'll charge at me, stomp her forepaws on my foot and growl loudly. Is there anything I can do?

Get her spayed.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Another rabbit newbie question; is the peeing on stuff purely territorial? I ask because this morning I changed my sheets, and put an old but clean sheet over the area of the bed Juppo usually s(h)its on. She's not gone toilet on it at all, despite having been sat next to me for several hours and not really moving except to occasionally go eat. We're still getting her done, I'm just interested and I wonder because when my mate had her, she would never ever pee on his bed, but she goes wild on mine. Basically, is it cos my mate's a bloke and I'm a woman?

Also I'm fairly sure she's evil. She was going for my keyboard wires earlier, so I gave her a short, sharp 'OI!', and she just looked at me and then binkied away across the room.

edit: Apologies for large amount of posts, finding myself quite fond of the little bugger. Shocking as we hated each other when I lived in my last place but I think she knew I didn't really feel at home there and reacted appropriately.

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 5, 2012

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009
Santa brought me an early Christmas present:

Seras is pretty good about not chewing up things, at least when I'm watching her. Hopefully the tree will survive, as she's decided it's her new chillaxin' spot.

voodoonoid
May 15, 2003

Turkeys fear me!

Wormy posted:

Santa brought me an early Christmas present:

Seras is pretty good about not chewing up things, at least when I'm watching her. Hopefully the tree will survive, as she's decided it's her new chillaxin' spot.

Wish I could trust my bun under a tree like that and not chew wires. Is there a secret?

Silverfish
May 23, 2005
graaaaaaaagh
We had to forego a christmas tree this year because RABBITS :argh:

I adopted a male lop that looks like a juggalo as company for bun, we have them separated by a baby gate at the moment. We tried an introduction, but he humped her face and she ran upstairs and refused to come back down :(
She keeps looking from him to me and back again as if to say 'Him? Really? REALLY?! HIM?!!'

We had him checked out by a vet and he has an ear infection and is slightly deaf, so he's on antibiotics and ear drops. He's not used to being handled so that's a load of fun.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

At first I thought that Paterson was deaf. Now I just that he doesn't give any fucks.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

luscious posted:

At first I thought that Paterson was deaf. Now I just that he doesn't give any fucks.

i think thats par for the course. My remaining two havent been nice to us since Sascha died. As soon as we show up they leave and make it fully known that we are not friends.

Although it might have been that both those dumbs went for surgery to remove tumor lumps from their face and dewlap. So that might be what pissed them off as well.

Rabbits.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Can someone please remind me that rabbits have thick skulls as mine as taken to spastically running into walls

Lewis never did this

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

Can someone please remind me that rabbits have thick skulls as mine as taken to spastically running into walls

Lewis never did this

Yup. Harriet doesn't seem to be really happy unless she's bouncing her bunny face off something hard, being it the walls, coffee table or even floor of her cage.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

RICKON WALNUTSBANE posted:

Lewis never did this

Cilantro runs to her food so fast that she headbutts the plate directly on the rim. :downs: It's like she times it so that her head is at the right height to hit the plate before it lands on the ground.

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

Well, he does recover after a second and immediately return to :holy:ing around the place so I guess I shouldn't be too worried. I guess I just miss my stately little princess :( I could throw that bastard on my bed and he'd tolerate snuggles for hours.

In retrospect Lewis was probably the brain damaged one but what can you do

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

Lobsterboy
Aug 18, 2003

start smoking (what's up, gold?)
Ever since someone pointed out that rabbits really do NOT care and stick their faces into everything, I notice mine do it a TON. I got a big ole bag of timothy hay from Oxbow, and whenever I throw more into their carrot-shaped food bowl, my slightly :downs: gray rabbit will hop over and just stick her face directly into the streaming tufts of hay. I've even tested it, so lightly shake hay down to see what she does.

Stand there and get covered in hay. Which makes my other rabbit all excited because then she gets to eat and groom at the same time, and then they chase each other around.

ALSO- Alucinor - the scarves are loving AWESOME. :love:

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008

Dagnabit, I was about to post that!

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

Lobsterboy posted:

ALSO- Alucinor - the scarves are loving AWESOME. :love:

D'aww... I KNEW I recognized the name but simply could NOT place it when I was packing for you!! I am so glad you like and thank you SO much!

Wormy
Feb 1, 2009

voodoonoid posted:

Wish I could trust my bun under a tree like that and not chew wires. Is there a secret?

Well, this is my first Christmas with her so I'm not entirely sure how it's going to work out. But she's really only free to roam when I'm around to watch her; if she looks like she wants to start nibbling on the tree I snap my fingers and shoo her out from under there.

Guess it also helps to have a pre-lit tree...all the wires are entwined in the branches. Seras would actually have to put some effort in to get at them, and she's pretty lazy.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

Wormy posted:

if she looks like she wants to start nibbling on the tree I snap my fingers and shoo her out from under there.

This just encourages them.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades
Just got my yearly shipment of litter. The open bag is the final bag from the previous shipment. :3:

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

I think she finally likes me!

Or tolerates me, anyway. She loves pretending to be a sausage and she loves being lazy even more. I shook the pack of raisins near my door and she just looked at me. I walked over and shook it in front of her and BAM, she nearly trips me up charging over to get a treat.

I also have a horrible habit of leaving the pack by her cage, as I'll give her one on a night after she's gone back in (when we were at my old flat it took loving hours and a lot of trickery and 'I'm not watching you, honest' to get her back in her cage, so I want her on my good side now). I'll forget it's there when I let her out in the morning and then find her trying to jam her head in the packet minutes later.

I've also found out she's vehemently anti-smoking. She lives in my bedroom and I don't smoke in here because it'd be unfair on her obviously. However my housemates and I do smoke in the living room, and more than once she's shot out my bedroom, into the living room, and flipped the ash tray over.

edit: is it wrong that I put her hay right on top of her food bowl because she looks so so cute burrowing under it to get to it? She's sat there now munching away and all I can see are two ears sticking out under a mound of hay

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Dec 8, 2012

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

That pose right there is love. Congrats. And I'm sure rabbits just love to push things over. Anything that isn't nailed down.

Mine got at and ate most of a cough drop. And most of the wrapper. Their breath now smells really good and they're checking me out to see if I have any more for them. Baaad bunnies

angelicism
Dec 1, 2004
mmmbop.

Zen is now dragging both of her back legs behind her, and she's frustrated because she can't clean her ears anymore, and my loving vet hasn't called me back in days and I'm pissed. I may just spend tomorrow calling every 5 minutes until he's available (the receptionist keeps saying he'll call me when he's free and he hasn't and I've been calling since Tuesday).

Also I may start crying every time I watch her trying to hobble around.

grack
Jan 10, 2012

COACH TOTORO SAY REFEREE CAN BANISH WHISTLE TO LAND OF WIND AND GHOSTS!

happyflurple posted:

Or tolerates me, anyway. She loves pretending to be a sausage and she loves being lazy even more. I shook the pack of raisins near my door and she just looked at me. I walked over and shook it in front of her and BAM, she nearly trips me up charging over to get a treat.

That's a happy bunny. She's comfortable enough to stretch out next to you, she's comfortable around you.

happyflurple posted:

edit: is it wrong that I put her hay right on top of her food bowl because she looks so so cute burrowing under it to get to it? She's sat there now munching away and all I can see are two ears sticking out under a mound of hay

Absolutely not. It's hilarious. Also, it gives her something to dig at which is good.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

angelicism posted:

Also I may start crying every time I watch her trying to hobble around.

This happened to me with Bitsy. I'm so, so sorry.

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

DS at Night posted:

That pose right there is love. Congrats. And I'm sure rabbits just love to push things over. Anything that isn't nailed down.

Mine got at and ate most of a cough drop. And most of the wrapper. Their breath now smells really good and they're checking me out to see if I have any more for them. Baaad bunnies

Woo bunny love! Kinda worried that she'll go off me as I'm going away for Christmas soon and leaving her in the care of a friend, but we'll see. Trying to persuade my parents to let me bring her home, it's not as if they have no pets, got two horses that manage to have an influence on the cleanliness of the house despite being stabled 10 miles away, and until recently they had free-range chinchillas as well

Glad she seems to be comfortable round me anyway! Though I do wish she'd learn to sit on the ratty old sheet I put out for her rather than the clean sheets but eh.

edit: She's been pancaked next to me all evening, I go to the toilet and come back to find her sat on the edge of the bed trying to stretch enough to reach the raisins on my bedside table. Clearly using me ;)

happyflurple fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Dec 9, 2012

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
Okay I need some advice. I just gave our rabbits their nighttime veg (they get pellets in the morning), but one isn't eating any of it. He then, a few minutes later, jumped in the litterbox and tried to go (I don't know if he has, he then sat down after trying so I can't check) and hasn't eaten any hay either. He did eat pellets when I fed them all about 9 hours ago. He's been in his pen all day so there is nothing new/weird that he could have eaten.

Is it too early to start worrying? I have Critical Care (in the freezer) as well as a few meds from the vet (although I need to check if they have expired, and the label on one faded about three months in so it's a mystery substance at this point), but we did have pain relievers and gut motility something-or-another before. I also have saline but it's more than a year old, I think. Obviously, I need to get a new stock from the vet.

Also complicating things is that my husband just left town today and won't be back for a week and I have no vacation time at my job yet (new job) to take a day off to make the 2+ hour vet trip.

Edit: He doesn't visibly seem to be in pain, he is sitting normally and cleaned himself a bit. But of course that doesn't fix the not-eating thing.

justFaye fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 10, 2012

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

it's NEVER too soon to worry!

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
I texted our vet just after posting here. She said to give him our expired meds (reglan, torbutrol, and lactulose, roughly one year expired) and if he gets worse, ER vet. If there is no improvement, take him in the morning. Problem is the office doesn't open until 10 AM and I have to be at work by 9 AM, and the vet is also an hour away.

He did eat 1/3 stick of celery and a little bit of pellets. He tried to poop and couldn't however. It's been about an hour since I gave him the meds. He hasn't seemed to be in pain at any point, but of course the not-eating-like-normal is a big problem.

Of course this has to happen the day my husband leaves town.

Edit: I tried giving him Critical Care, but he just wouldn't take it. It's awfully thick for a baby-feeder syringe but I try anyway. More of it ends up on his fur than anything before he didn't want to swallow it so it just ran down his chin. I've had this problem before with another rabbit too; am I just doing something wrong?

DS at Night
Jun 1, 2004

God I've had to deal with this semi-recently. I can tell you for a fact that no it is definitely not you and has everything to do with rabbits being idiots who asbolutely refure to cooperate with any human trying to save their life. It's going to get messy and there's no way around that except just give more of the stuff.

You probably know that GI problems can lead to a fairly quick rabbit death so the vet visit can't be put off for a day. Maybe you can take some hours off work? Or take the rabbit to an emergency vet in the evening? Or get a friend to take him. When mine get all clogged up I get some paraffin from the vet to give them. As far as I know it's just plain paraffin with a little lemonade mixed in so they'll swallow it but I don't know if that means you can just force feed a rabbit any old paraffin you have (probably not).

Another thing you can do if you have a spare/old cage is separate him for a while to see if he's really not pooping. Otherwise it's impossible to tell. If he's already the sole occupant in his cage, start by cleaning out the litterbox so you'll know he's pooping if he does. It's a bitch having to deal with this on your own I know, but good luck!

RICKON WALNUTSBANE
Jun 13, 2001

justFaye posted:

Edit: I tried giving him Critical Care, but he just wouldn't take it. It's awfully thick for a baby-feeder syringe but I try anyway. More of it ends up on his fur than anything before he didn't want to swallow it so it just ran down his chin. I've had this problem before with another rabbit too; am I just doing something wrong?

You can always add more water to make the CC a little easier to deal with. IIRC the ratio on the directions makes something nearing a paste. You can trim the tip of your syringe so you have a wider gauge to work with. It helps to draw the solution up into the syringe and expel it several times before filling it and going in for a feeding attempt. You'll know how much force you need to control the plunger and you'll work out the big clumps.

Do you have plain or flavored CC? You may want to try cutting it with some baby food/applesauce/yogurt/whatever.

Be patient. Good luck.

luscious
Mar 8, 2005

I hope that your bun feels better soon justFaye.

no words.

Pig Boots
Apr 10, 2009

literally me

justFaye posted:

I texted our vet just after posting here. She said to give him our expired meds (reglan, torbutrol, and lactulose, roughly one year expired) and if he gets worse, ER vet. If there is no improvement, take him in the morning. Problem is the office doesn't open until 10 AM and I have to be at work by 9 AM, and the vet is also an hour away.

He did eat 1/3 stick of celery and a little bit of pellets. He tried to poop and couldn't however. It's been about an hour since I gave him the meds. He hasn't seemed to be in pain at any point, but of course the not-eating-like-normal is a big problem.

Of course this has to happen the day my husband leaves town.

You can also give him simethicone in case it's a gas issue (I think it's 1 mL every hour for the first 3 hours, then 1 mL every few hours as needed....it's hard/impossible to OD them on simethicone, so don't stress over that too much), and try keeping him warm (wrap him up and cuddle him, or put him in a carrier with SnuggleSafe discs tucked under a folded flannel blanket, if you have them). Very gentle tummy massage can also help, as will getting him to move around. Keep offering his favorite foods, especially nice, wet greens.

As others have said, you can thin out the Critical Care and mix it with something yummy to make it easier to administer. It's easiest if you get the syringe past the front teeth and the rabbit starts chewing on the syringe.

Good luck :ohdear:

justFaye
Mar 27, 2009
I have had a rabbit with GI stasis before (a serious case, but he did recover, but it was very expensive and involved a few nights with the vet and IVs and all that good stuff).

To cut to the chase: Aragorn (the one not feeling well last night) is fine now. I think he had a spot of constipation but it didn't develop into GI stasis. Timeline summary: tried feeding veg around 10 PM, he didn't eat but was still energetic, gave him meds about 30 minutes later. At about 12:30 he ate some and there wasn't anything I could do so I slept for an hour and then got up to feed him more/check on him. At this point he was excited about food and pooped a bit (it looked dry and smaller than usual). He seemed to be in good shape, so I went back to bed. Got up at 6 AM for work and checked on him, fed them all their pellets and he tore into them like normal. Ate some hay too.

When I got home from work at 6 PM he seemed normal. Fed him some romaine as a test and he tore into it. Saw him eating hay later and drinking water. Behavior has been normal since I got home.

If he had been getting worse, I would have taken him to an ER vet last night (but it's an hour drive to a rabbit friendly one), or if he hadn't improved I would have left work after my meeting to take him to the normal vet (also an hour drive, yay).

But fortunately, he seems to be healthy. I'm keeping an eye on him though.

I did try thinning out the Critical Care a bit more and just squirting more in there and getting it all over his face and chest. He cleaned himself afterwards though so maybe he got more of it.

Anyhoo, thanks for everyone's concerns and help.

Edit: For future reference, where do I get simethicone?

Oh, and, we will be getting fresh meds *for sure* from the vet when we go for their checkup (they are due this month, actually). I guess this past year was just so chaotic that I didn't realize my stuff was expired before now.

Oh, and my CC is flavored (apple and banana, I think). Doesn't seem to make the buns like it any better, though.

justFaye fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Dec 11, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

happyflurple
Oct 31, 2006

Juppo is gonna be the end of me. Taking a break from essay writing and she's been sat in a puddle of bunny over the other side of the room for a while. Shook her raisin packet but she just looked at me. Turned round and a split second later there's this unholy clattering sound and a rabbit sat on my laptop keyboard trying to poke her nose into my face.