Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Booker's pretty clearly preparing to run for Senate in 2014 and I'm becoming convinced that he's running whether Lautenberg retires or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

jeffersonlives posted:

Booker's pretty clearly preparing to run for Senate in 2014 and I'm becoming convinced that he's running whether Lautenberg retires or not.

Lautenberg is 88 right now, I've gotta think he'll call it a career. Since Christie has already stated he's going to run for re-election as Governor, Senator would seem to be the next step for Booker.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jeffersonlives posted:

Yeah, he knows he has to punch his ticket in the Senate or Governor's Mansion in order to have a shot at the big prize.

It's really kind of startling when you think about all the places you can't mount a Presidential campaign from. Businessman, journalist, entertainer, activist, lobbyist, pundit, academic, athlete, religious leader - go home. The judiciary, House of Representatives, executive appointment (Secretary of X, Ambassador to Y, Director of Z), statewide offices that aren't Governor, county or city-level positions - no way.

Even the semi-backdoor of skipping the Senator/Governor requirement by getting on a ticket as Veep doesn't seem to work very well. I can't think of any House member who got a VP slot on a winning ticket (Ferraro in 84, Kemp in 96, Ryan in 12 all lost - and I just noticed they were all tickets that were challenging a sitting President. Hmmm), but I haven't thought back that far. Biden, Cheney, Gore, Quayle, Bush, and Mondale were all Senators, Agnew was a Governor, Humphrey, Johnson, Nixon, Barkely, and Truman were Senators. Wallace held a bunch of posts in FDR's cabinet. You have to go back to Garner who was Speaker of the House in 1932 when he ran and won as FDR's VP.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
George H.W. Bush's highest elected office before Vice President was as a two term House member. He did rotate through a number of appointed positions in the 70s, including CIA director, chairman of the Republican National Committee, and ambassador to the UN. He was a plausible although ultimately losing candidate for the presidential nomination in 1980 as the establishment alternative to Reagan with that resume.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Someone asked me who else besides Hillary and maybe Biden were looking at a run in 2016. I came up with Cuomo, O'Malley and Schweitzer (Deval Patrick as a long-shot). No Dem in the Senate looks poised for a Presidential run, and we've run through Congress and everything else being a tough launching pad.

It's gonna be Hillary if she wants it. I'm not sure Biden will go for it if she doesn't, and from there it's the governors. I have a tough time imagining someone coming from left field to shake it up... I guess Elizabeth Warren, but she'd be like a 300/1 shot because I think she's content to try to be an unofficial Ted Kennedy heir in the Senate.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

skaboomizzy posted:

Someone asked me who else besides Hillary and maybe Biden were looking at a run in 2016. I came up with Cuomo, O'Malley and Schweitzer (Deval Patrick as a long-shot). No Dem in the Senate looks poised for a Presidential run, and we've run through Congress and everything else being a tough launching pad.

After the 2012 elections, there are 72 Democratic senators and governors. I'd estimate at least 40 of them have presidential ambitions, and that number feels low. Literally almost all of them are thinking about it and talking the possibilities out with spouses and such right now.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

jeffersonlives posted:

After the 2012 elections, there are 72 Democratic senators and governors. I'd estimate at least 40 of them have presidential ambitions, and that number feels low. Literally almost all of them are thinking about it and talking the possibilities out with spouses and such right now.
Not to mention recent Senators and Governors, although there does seem to be a sell-by date for being out of office. This is one of the reasons I'm not sold on Jeb Bush running and winning in 2016 - he'll have been out of public life for ten years at that point.

There's an old saying about how all 100 Senators, when they look into their bathroom mirrors in the morning, see a future President looking back at them.

e: And you're right about GHW Bush, I'd forgotten that he'd maxed out at the House level before becoming an establishment appointee/functionary.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Yes, but how much of that is based in reality? I consume a LOT of political news and nobody is talking much about Governors Abercrombie, Dayton, Gregoire, Hickenlooper, Kitzhaber, Lynch, Malloy, Shumlin, etc.

I just named eight Democratic Governors. I know a few of you could name the state every one of them is governing without the aid of Wikipedia, but the average voter nationwide MIGHT go 2/8 out of blind luck or because they live in or border those states. These Governors are non-factors in a Presidential race. The only ones that will matter are the ones I named previously: Cuomo, O'Malley and Schweitzer because they're all making noise in various ways to get noticed nationally. There's a reasonable chance Deval Patrick would run if the field lacked Hillary or Biden.

On the Senate side of the coin, Warren is the only one I can see of that caucus making a run in 2016 and she'd only make that run because it'd probably be her last chance to do so.

2016 is Hillary's to lose... not even that. It's Hillary's to decline. If she runs, she's the nominee.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

more friedman units posted:

Secretary of Defense Cory Booker will personally lay down suppressing fire at Firebase Charlie in Afghanistan.

With a minigun, Predator-style.

I think it'd be more likely for them to make Booker HUD secretary, though.

quote:

Businessman, journalist, entertainer, activist, lobbyist, pundit, academic, athlete, religious leader - go home.

I don't know about that. I mean sure, nowadays people like Romney - or, reaching back, Rockefeller - have to hold real political office, but I bet in 20-odd years they'll be able to just buy the Presidency more effectively than now.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

jeffersonlives posted:

The reasons Giuliani lost had little to do with his lack of political standing, he just didn't run a great campaign and had a very poor set of results come for his candidacy in the early contests he was not seriously contesting.

You're also forgetting that Giuliani was a terrible person with a really messy personal life and not a lot of charisma to smooth it all out. He's a very nasty guy, and he comes across that way. I remember his RNC speech in 08, that was really one of the nastiest speeches I've ever really heard. Then you throw in all the poo poo that was going on with his wife and how his kids don't want to associate with him, and now you got the makings for a guy who can't go anywhere. Especially the part about his kids.

Remember, on 9/10/01, Giuliani's career was in decline. After his first term, things weren't going that good for him. Giuliani essentially spent 2008 running on 9/11.

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006

skaboomizzy posted:

It's gonna be Hillary if she wants it. I'm not sure Biden will go for it if she doesn't, and from there it's the governors. I have a tough time imagining someone coming from left field to shake it up... I guess Elizabeth Warren, but she'd be like a 300/1 shot because I think she's content to try to be an unofficial Ted Kennedy heir in the Senate.

Everyone in Mass thinks Patrick is going to run, and right wing talk media is salivating over Governor Scott Brown.

Randallteal
May 7, 2006

The tears of time

FMguru posted:

Because "Mayor of an important city" isn't one of the four places you can launch a successful Presidential campaign from. Governor, Senator, VP, General of a winning war - that's it.

I'd add Secretary of State. Six of them became presidents, and possibly a seventh soon.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Pillowpants posted:

Everyone in Mass thinks Patrick is going to run, and right wing talk media is salivating over Governor Scott Brown.

For what it's worth I'm in Massachusetts and a politics nerd and I don't see Patrick going for it at all; it's always been my thought that he wants to be appointed to some high level office like Attorney General or Supreme Court Justice

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Randallteal posted:

I'd add Secretary of State. Six of them became presidents, and possibly a seventh soon.

Again, there's a small sample size for Mayor. Only four presidents even ran for the mayorship, and three won their races (TR ran in NYC and lost). All of them eventually held higher office before they ran for president. I wouldn't discount any mayor winning directly from that position but it would certainly most have to be from a huge city like New York or Chicago. Basically if you think that Schweitzer is qualified to run being Governor of Montana, you have to say the same of Bloomberg for actually managing an area where people live. Giuliani was a horrible candidate and human being in general so that's not a weakness of the office altogether.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Randallteal posted:

The seventh (Clinton) will have been a US Senator, as was Buchanan, Van Buren (also a Governor), John Quincy Adams, and Monroe (also a Governor). Madison went House to SoS to President, but that was 200 years ago and still in the shadow of the founding. Bryan is a near-example, but his stint as SoS came more than a decade after he lost his second Presidential campaign.

Nothing wrong with being a SoS, but it's not sufficient to earn a spot at the top of a major party's national ticket. You still need to pass through the Senate or a Governorship (or serve as Veep or win a war). It's why Condoleeza Rice was never a credible suggestion for a Republican candidate, nor Henry Kissinger.

The Warszawa
Jun 6, 2005

Look at me. Look at me.

I am the captain now.

FMguru posted:

The seventh (Clinton) will have been a US Senator, as was Buchanan, Van Buren (also a Governor), John Quincy Adams, and Monroe (also a Governor). Madison went House to SoS to President, but that was 200 years ago and still in the shadow of the founding. Bryan is a near-example, but his stint as SoS came more than a decade after he lost his second Presidential campaign.

Nothing wrong with being a SoS, but it's not sufficient to earn a spot at the top of a major party's national ticket. You still need to pass through the Senate or a Governorship (or serve as Veep or win a war). It's why Condoleeza Rice was never a credible suggestion for a Republican candidate, nor Henry Kissinger.

Kissinger was never credible because he's not a natural-born citizen - he's ineligible. That's why.

(I'll leave it unsaid why Condoleezza Rice was not considered a serious possibility in the Republican Party of the early 21st century, and it's got nothing to do with the political limits of the State Department.)

That said, I think a purely diplomatic/SoS background would doom a candidate, but mostly because those posts really inhibit your ability to network and fundraise and develop a constituency within the party elite that can get things moving early on.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Booker is doing his food stamp challenge this week. Living off of $33 and some change for a week's worth of food. I also learned he's a vegetarian. Not sure if that'll make his food stamp challenge easier or harder.

monoceros4
Sep 1, 2006

As good at chess as Alekhine's cat

notthegoatseguy posted:

Booker is doing his food stamp challenge this week. Living off of $33 and some change for a week's worth of food. I also learned he's a vegetarian. Not sure if that'll make his food stamp challenge easier or harder.

I wonder. Meat's getting pretty expensive these days (even a drat pot roast is getting costly) but I assume that it's getting equally expensive to eat, I dunno, tofu.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost
That is not how you get protein on the cheap. You buy beans and eggs and chick peas.

monoceros4
Sep 1, 2006

As good at chess as Alekhine's cat

mlmp08 posted:

That is not how you get protein on the cheap. You buy beans and eggs and chick peas.

Chick peas! Might as well starve.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Tofu isn't terribly expensive, either. Like 2-bucks. But yeah, better protein sources that are much cheaper.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
The point of it isn't really to show how you can fulfill all nutritional needs on a budget because you're a food genius, though.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

notthegoatseguy posted:

Unless you're buying nothing but the processed Boca/Morningstar stuff, it's definitely cheaper to be a vegetarian.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

greatn posted:

The point of it isn't really to show how you can fulfill all nutritional needs on a budget because you're a food genius, though.

Yeah if he power games this it will just lead to jerks saying the money is sufficient and poor people are dumb.

$33 per week will get you almost 5 mcdoubles per day! :v:

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Dec 5, 2012

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

The Warszawa posted:

That said, I think a purely diplomatic/SoS background would doom a candidate, but mostly because those posts really inhibit your ability to network and fundraise and develop a constituency within the party elite that can get things moving early on.

Yeah, this. If you're an appointee you don't get the opportunity to meet bundlers and campaign operatives and build relationships with them. I'd imagine the main reason Senators and Governors have the easiest path to the presidency is due to the fact they've had to go through at least one campaign that requires significant fundraising and consultancy and have a chance to assemble a good team around them. HW Bush is basically the only exception to this in the modern era and he's the patriarch of an extremely established, politically active WASP old money family.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.
Yeah, even living cheap is still not that cheap. It would be a very homogeneous diet, with each meal being practically the same.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?

mlmp08 posted:

Yeah if he power games this it will just lead to jerks saying the money is sufficient and poor people are dumb.

$33 per week will get you almost 5 mcdoubles per day! :v:

McDoubles are a clear health choice.

Grains: Buns
Meats: Beef Patties
Dairy: Cheese
Vegetables: Ketchup :colbert:

Sylink
Apr 17, 2004

You eat beans and rice. That is what you.

A 10lb bag of rice is like $10 and will last a month or so depending on how much you eat.

Then you buy shitloads of canned beans. You might be able to pull off stir fries but IDK.

Not healthy but doable.

Alternatively, ramen and a multivitamin.

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008

Sylink posted:

Not healthy but doable.

Fairly sure this is what it's meant to prove. And also that this is actually really bad.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Sylink posted:

You eat beans and rice. That is what you.

A 10lb bag of rice is like $10 and will last a month or so depending on how much you eat.

Then you buy shitloads of canned beans. You might be able to pull off stir fries but IDK.

Not healthy but doable.

Alternatively, ramen and a multivitamin.

why would you buy canned beans? surely the bags of dried ones are cheaper per pound

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

Riptor posted:

why would you buy canned beans? surely the bags of dried ones are cheaper per pound

It takes loving forever to prepare the dried ones. You have to let them soak overnight, whereas rice can cook in 20 minutes. Plus, a giant can of black beans isn't all that expensive.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

BUSH 2112 posted:

It takes loving forever to prepare the dried ones. You have to let them soak overnight, whereas rice can cook in 20 minutes. Plus, a giant can of black beans isn't all that expensive.

I cook dried beans all the time, all it takes is forethought. I use a slowcooker so that I can ignore it while it cooks, but you can use a stove pot just as well. Cooking up a week's worth of beans and rice is really easy.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Is there some connection between being a bootstrapping right-winger and bragging about cooking dry beans? I swear I'm starting to notice it over and over.

BUSH 2112
Sep 17, 2012

I lie awake, staring out at the bleakness of Megadon.

SedanChair posted:

Is there some connection between being a bootstrapping right-winger and bragging about cooking dry beans? I swear I'm starting to notice it over and over.

Yes, the connection is that they pretend to have had to suffer by doing something that poors do even thought they never actually had to do it.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Kaal posted:

I cook dried beans all the time, all it takes is forethought. I use a slowcooker so that I can ignore it while it cooks, but you can use a stove pot just as well. Cooking up a week's worth of beans and rice is really easy.

You really shouldn't use a slow-cooker to cook kidney beans, they will never get to a high enough temperature to leach all the toxins out unless you run it on high for hours.

bigtom
May 7, 2007

Playing the solid gold hits and moving my liquid lips...

SedanChair posted:

Dave Ramsey (right wing financial douche) always tells people to bootstrap themselves by eating nothing but "rice 'n beans, beans 'n rice."

Painful to listen to for two hours a day at work.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Party Plane Jones posted:

You really shouldn't use a slow-cooker to cook kidney beans, they will never get to a high enough temperature to leach all the toxins out unless you run it on high for hours.

Actually what I do is soak them overnight, then bring them to a high boil for 10 minutes and scoop off the foam, then put them in the slowcooker and add in spices, onions and garlic. And I use mixed beans in any case. Sometimes I'll go further and add in grilled veggies and sausage and just turn it into a bean soup. It can't take more than a half hour of work all told, and it makes at least a dozen meals. I just put some in a bowl, add cheese or a fried egg, and reheat.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 5, 2012

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
See, being poor is as easy as eating nothing but chili.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Stormageddon posted:

See, being poor is as easy as eating nothing but chili.

The fact that there are good-tasting, low-cost meals that can be made with relatively little prep time if planned in advance, and that these meals aren't seeing the kind of use they could be, is relevant to the discussion of feeding the poor in America. I'm all for expanding food support, it's both moral and good for the economy, but we could also be doing a better job with education and with making cheap, healthy food available. What's most important is that people eat, but it's a shame how much we end up subsidizing pre-prepared garbage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe
Food insecurity and nutrition education are related issues in a sense, but I think they should be kept separate. It strikes me as a little paternalistic when you're talking about people who need help to eat saying "and you should eat better while you're at it." Michelle Obama doesn't try to get white bread taken off of EBT or something; that would be seen, correctly, as really condescending and it would distract from the issue of healthy eating.

Oh, uh, to tie this to the primaries: Mike Huckabee, famous obese consumer of fast food, will drop dead very soon because it is incredibly dangerous to get fat again after bariatric surgery.

• Locked thread