Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huskyjackal
Mar 17, 2009

*peek*
Gonna show my results to my parents and they're gonna be totes impressed and buy me two awesome breeder dagz and I'm gonna breed for REALZ YO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50136354n

My mom linked me to this and it seems pretty impressive. As far as we're shown its all clicker based training.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
So my mom texts me asking where to get a Great Pyr. I'm thinking, ":stare: No, Mom, no, you don't have a farm, and the closest thing you have to livestock is two pugs." Turns out she was asking for my uncle who actually does want a dog for livestock guarding. Phew.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Skizzles posted:

So my mom texts me asking where to get a Great Pyr. I'm thinking, ":stare: No, Mom, no, you don't have a farm, and the closest thing you have to livestock is two pugs." Turns out she was asking for my uncle who actually does want a dog for livestock guarding. Phew.

Oh that's good you don't have to have a real serious discussion about it.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Yeah it seemed rather unlike my mom, but at least she trusts my dog advice and I'd have little issue talking her out of one. My uncle had an LGD for guarding his chickens, but it passed away recently so he's looking to get another.

Instant Jellyfish
Jul 3, 2007

Actually not a fish.

wtftastic posted:

http://www.cbsnews.com/video/watch/?id=50136354n

My mom linked me to this and it seems pretty impressive. As far as we're shown its all clicker based training.

Can't be any worse drivers than anyone else around me.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Instant Jellyfish posted:

Can't be any worse drivers than anyone else around me.

I'd take 100 of those dogs driving over 10 Massholes.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

So another thing about Abby's situation. I actually don't need to restrict her just to the bedroom, I need to only keep her out of the living room. The problem is the entry is at a strange angle (see picture). I had two ideas. The thrifty one is to use the folding table I already have at an angle, but I'd have to put weight behind it or she'll just push it over. The other is to buy a wall mounted gate, but those are kind of expensive. What do you think?

In my crappy paint image, the red line is where I want the blockade to be made, but where I can't actually attach a gate where the circle is (though I could a bit up and to the left). The blue is where my table would be, but as I said I need weight behind it. Yellow is the pee zone.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Yay, Husker ate all his breakfast in one go this morning! He didn't want to get out of bed until 9 am, but then, neither did I...

It's chilly in the house, so I draped a blanket over him. Nibbler spent ten minutes trying to figure out how to burrow under it without waking the dog. :3:

demozthenes
Feb 14, 2007

Wicked pissa little critta

wtftastic posted:

I'd take 100 of those dogs driving over 10 Massholes.

My neighborhood is already covered with squished cats in the road; I honestly don't think we'd see any difference.

Pile of Kittens
Apr 23, 2005

Why does everything STILL smell like pussy?

Pew! Pew! posted:

AHAahah this game invalidates the dogs that fail and lets you use the fail puppies in the next breeding holy poo poo

I mean, it kinda demonstrates line breeding right? :downs:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

demozthenes posted:

My neighborhood is already covered with squished cats in the road; I honestly don't think we'd see any difference.

It would be squished cats, squirrels, birds...pretty much anything.

Nannypea
Feb 20, 2006

Faster, you naughty little monkey!

I realize I'm a couple pages late to this post but drat!

My fatback Hank is smaller than that.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Nannypea posted:

I realize I'm a couple pages late to this post but drat!

My fatback Hank is smaller than that.

The more I look at the lab, the more I :psyduck:. The legs are way too short, the tail is missing a chunk of it, the dog is real fat, it has a little head and huge-rear end neck, it's just a total mess.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go play with my ~*perfect*~ Boston Terrier. :smuggo:

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

Bash Ironfist posted:

The more I look at the lab, the more I :psyduck:. The legs are way too short, the tail is missing a chunk of it, the dog is real fat, it has a little head and huge-rear end neck, it's just a total mess.

Now if you'll excuse me I'm gonna go play with my ~*perfect*~ Boston Terrier. :smuggo:

Maybe the dog's tail is wagging at an angle where the rest of it is obscured? I dunno.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

FERRETS ARE ALSO PRETTY MEH, HONESTLY

The more time I spend with Kya, the more I judge bostons and other smush face dogs :smug: At least she's more able to breathe!

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Yeah, the tail looks funny 'cause it's wagging.

The lab is a conformation champion, I'm pretty sure. [herein starts the sperg about the uselessness of dog showing]

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I'm really glad that website lets Rotties still able to model for the breed after they evidently were involved in a frontal collision or nose-fender-bender.

Or am I just wrong for being weirded out by that head structure?

Rufus En Fuego
Oct 19, 2011

HOUSE BARK

"Winter is Potato"
I wanna smush it.

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

The only rottie I've personally met was a giant moron with a giant head. She was sweet as can be though.

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Rufus En Fuego posted:

I wanna smush it.

I think it's already smushed.

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Can you guys recommend any nice harnesses? Shadow doesn't pull, but he can be sluggish or inattentive and I don't wanna have to drag him by his neck in those instances (it makes him very butthurt). I was considering this one, but I wanna check out all options. I do like the meshy ones. I thought about making my own but I am so drat bogged down with making Christmas gifts, collars, and trying to find a new apartment that it's just not gonna happen for a while.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

Rotties are awesome, I'd love to have one. There was a rottie at the dog care place I used to work at, and I'd just smush his face all the time. :3:

Feldman got into something, and he puked up his breakfast. I looked through it, but I couldn't find anything weird that might have caused him to vomit. Keeping an eye on him in case it happens again, he's totally feeling bad and it makes me feel bad :(

Is there something I can give him for his stomach? Or just leave it alone and let it settle by itself?

Fraction
Mar 27, 2010

CATS RULE DOGS DROOL

Truly these are the most noble of dogs :smuggo:

Oh. :saddowns:

This dumb dog's puppy face just about kills me.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Bash Ironfist posted:

Is there something I can give him for his stomach? Or just leave it alone and let it settle by itself?

Plain boiled rice is pretty good for upset tummies.

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

RazorBunny posted:

Plain boiled rice is pretty good for upset tummies.

Thanks, I'll give that to him for dinner, see if it helps!

Fraction posted:

This dumb dog's puppy face just about kills me.

That's a pretty great dog you got there, I wanna play with his ears and lips. :3:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Skizzles- I really like the Julius K9 Power Harness. It's really sturdy, easy to clean, doesn't irritate Vecna's skin like nylon strap ones do, and you can replace the logo patches. They're fairly inexpensive too.

Kiri koli
Jun 20, 2005
Also, I can kill you with my brain.

Skizzles posted:

Can you guys recommend any nice harnesses? Shadow doesn't pull, but he can be sluggish or inattentive and I don't wanna have to drag him by his neck in those instances (it makes him very butthurt). I was considering this one, but I wanna check out all options. I do like the meshy ones. I thought about making my own but I am so drat bogged down with making Christmas gifts, collars, and trying to find a new apartment that it's just not gonna happen for a while.

We like the Champion Canine Harness + seat belt system. The harness is really well built, has a bit of weight to it but doesn't seem to chafe. I like the big rings on the back (though a regular crappy leash clip won't fit around them) and I like that I don't need a separate thing to keep her safe in the car.

Today is Psyche's birthday. :toot: She is a now a three year old hellbeast. We celebrated by having a reactive dog session and torturing her by stepping on her squeaky toys (later she'll get some bacon and a new toy :D).

Also have a video on cat vs dogs.

UltraGrey
Feb 24, 2007

Eat a grass.
Have a barf.

Okay. So I've been sick and miserable and I'm kinda-sorta watching Elf for the second time because it's on TV and most everything else is crap.

It's on in the background, and the scene comes on when Buddy is first going into his dad's office. The receptionist is talking about kittens, and last time I didn't hear the whole thing, so I listened more closely...and then went crazy both laughing and saying "OMG THAT'S HORRIBLE" :supaburn:

The lady says over the phone, "Oh I don't know Connie, I've never de-clawed kittens before. How many? Eight?!? I don't know if I'm going to have time. Well all right just bring them by the camper this weekend I'll see what I can do. I'm not going to charge you, just bring them by and I'll see what I can do." Click.

:ohdear:

And yes I have too much time on my hands right now, or well..on the couch :(

ButWhatIf
Jun 24, 2009

HA HA HA
Over the weekend, my work held a major food drive for the Seattle Humane Society in which we offered a free 15-min photo shoot and 5"x7" in exchange for a 30 lb bag of quality dog food. We ended up photographing about 50 dogs and bringing in 1200 lbs of food for the shelter, so that was awesome. Also, Neige got to be a test subject while the strobe flashes and camera were being set up and tested out!

The manic expression is due to the small cubes of cheese we used to get the dogs to focus. She sure looks...focused.

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Greycious posted:

Okay. So I've been sick and miserable and I'm kinda-sorta watching Elf for the second time because it's on TV and most everything else is crap.

It's on in the background, and the scene comes on when Buddy is first going into his dad's office. The receptionist is talking about kittens, and last time I didn't hear the whole thing, so I listened more closely...and then went crazy both laughing and saying "OMG THAT'S HORRIBLE" :supaburn:

The lady says over the phone, "Oh I don't know Connie, I've never de-clawed kittens before. How many? Eight?!? I don't know if I'm going to have time. Well all right just bring them by the camper this weekend I'll see what I can do. I'm not going to charge you, just bring them by and I'll see what I can do." Click.

:ohdear:

And yes I have too much time on my hands right now, or well..on the couch :(

The really scary thing, to me, is that I can remember not knowing what de-clawing really was when I was like a teenager (probably around the time when Elf first came out actually) and thinking that it was a relatively benign procedure, sorta like clipping a cat's claws except permanent. From that perspective the receptionist's speech could seem perfectly average! But knowing what it is makes that such an incredibly grisly and macabre image.

edit: I found the clip on youtube and thankfully it seems that it was very much intended to be tongue-in-cheek but that's one hell of a dark joke for what I thought was a little kids' movie! I know I love joking about chopping off the fingers of cute furry creatures in my spare time.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Dec 6, 2012

Deep Thoreau
Aug 16, 2008

ButWhatIf posted:

Over the weekend, my work held a major food drive for the Seattle Humane Society in which we offered a free 15-min photo shoot and 5"x7" in exchange for a 30 lb bag of quality dog food. We ended up photographing about 50 dogs and bringing in 1200 lbs of food for the shelter, so that was awesome. Also, Neige got to be a test subject while the strobe flashes and camera were being set up and tested out!

The manic expression is due to the small cubes of cheese we used to get the dogs to focus. She sure looks...focused.

Neige is adorable as hell! :3: I wish my mother didn't hate corgi, I'd totally have one...or two. I'd play with those big ole ears all day.

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.

kaworu posted:

The really scary thing, to me, is that I can remember not knowing what de-clawing really was when I was like a teenager (probably around the time when Elf first came out actually) and thinking that it was a relatively benign procedure, sorta like clipping a cat's claws except permanent. From that perspective the receptionist's speech could seem perfectly average! But knowing what it is makes that such an incredibly grisly and macabre image.

edit: I found the clip on youtube and thankfully it seems that it was very much intended to be tongue-in-cheek but that's one hell of a dark joke for what I thought was a little kids' movie! I know I love joking about chopping off the fingers of cute furry creatures in my spare time.

I actually felt guilty when I told my current partner (who had declawed the two cats she adopted a few years ago because she thought that's just what people with indoor cats do and didn't realize what a big thing it is) what the surgery actually does. I've never seen an expression of guilt like that. I didn't even mean to make her feel bad, I just assumed (for some stupid reason) that the cats had been adopted declawed. And then I cleverly went off on how declawed cats often have behavioral problems like biting (which one of the cats does) because their natural defenses that they rely on have been removed. I wasn't even thinking about her cats when I went off on my rant, we were talking about my declawed cat (who I did adopt that way) and her behavioral problems and I got started...I still feel bad about it, honestly.

I mean, I'm glad she's said she won't even consider declawing another cat, but I also could have educated her a lot more tactfully if I'd thought about it for like 30 seconds...

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

At least you told her what the deal was, though, even if you could have done it more tactfully... It's scary too, because I remember when I was maybe 11 or 12 my mom had a cat who was indoor-only and had a lot of scratching issues, and we were going to declaw him and were even excited about it (including me!) not at all knowing what the surgery entailed. My mother, thank god, got educated about what "declawing" really was in time by a friend, and we didn't wind up going through with it. It's just so horrific that it's not only legal, but that I am like 99% positive that the majority of people who get the procedure done to their pets honestly have no clue that it's extremely invasive surgery and literally involves chopping the digits off at the bone.

So really, you shouldn't feel bad about it. You educated one more person who will never make that mistake again, and that's a good thing :unsmith:

edit: It's also really scary because to be perfectly frank (but hopefully not too extreme) the whole "declawing" thing reminds me of the transorbital lobotomy (or "icepick" lobotomy) craze that struck briefly in the mental health profession in post-WW2 western world. Thousands of these procedures were performed on people with the euphemistic (at the time) term of "transorbital lobotomy" that didn't even begin to describe the reality of the procedure, which obviously involved permanently removing and/or destroying a semi-random selection of brain matter from the frontal cortex and causing anywhere from a little brain damage to a ton of brain of damage that may or may not even have been perceived as 'positive results' by the standards of the time. And lobotomies were performed on all kinds of people at the time - parents could (and in some cases did) perform them on teenage children they disliked for "acting out" or any amount of mostly normal activity that rubbed them the wrong way.

But what's horrifying about that little anecdote, to me, and the "declawing" surgical practice that still exists in many places today, is that people are having irreversible surgical procedures performed on others who are in their care and relying on them to act in their best interests (whether that be a mentally incompetent relative, a child, or a pet, whatever) without even really totally learning what the surgical procedure even entails. So goddamn scary.

kaworu fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Dec 6, 2012

2tomorrow
Oct 28, 2005

Two of us are magical.
One of us is real.
I really don't feel that bad, because actually my childhood cats were declawed when I was old enough to remember and I felt the same way..."Yay, no more clawing or pricking us with the claws when they're kneading!" I really think most people don't know what it means to declaw a cat. I know for a fact my family didn't, and my parents both regret doing so even though we had a "good" result with no behavior problems.

And honestly, I'm not 100% against declawing. In my area, where nice cats are a dime a dozen, I would rather see someone declaw their cat than drop it off at the shelter to probably be euthanized. However, I think that's a last resort. I have a problem clawer and we've tried 4 different tactics to keep him from tearing up the furniture...a particular type of scratching post rubbed with catnip every few days is the key, but he has all 4 sets of claws and uses them happily...and appropriately! But in situations where the problems just can't be fixed, I'd rather a cat be declawed than put down...but personally I'd also rather suffer a physical disability than die, so that's not saying much. It should be a last resort, IMO.

Hardwood Floor
Sep 25, 2011

I just spent an 8-9 round trip to Tennessee to rehome 11 puppies since my mom's boyfriend is going through chemo and can't care for them (and all the shelters in the area were either full or couldn't do it for less than $200). I considered keeping one but they're pretty badly flea-infested and I have other animals to worry over.

I was going to make a thread about it but I am exhausted and didn't take many pictures. The puppies are Great Dane/husky mixes.
Here was my favorite, Yeti.

He was very calm and slept for most of the trip and is incredibly fluffy.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Abby's response to the dog gate - oh here's some diarrhea on your bedroom floor. Oh I don't want to be near this, so I'm going to push the pressure gate over. Now if my folding table blockade doesn't work I'll probably have to get her diapers. Actually do belly bands work pretty well?

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Dec 6, 2012

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

actionjackson posted:

Abby's response to the dog gate - oh here's some diarrhea on your bedroom floor. Oh I don't want to be near this, so I'm going to push the pressure gate over. Now if my folding table blockade doesn't work I'll probably have to get her diapers. Actually do belly bands work pretty well?

Isn't Abby female?

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Engineer Lenk posted:

Isn't Abby female?

Yes, but I read they can be used for either sex.

http://www.bellybands.net/about-bellybands

Her issue is near the end of the (work) day she gets overly excited when she hears noise in the hallway (thinking it's me). That seems to cause the urination, though only in one part of the house. I'm just trying to isolate her from that.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Hey, guys, need some help/ideas. So years ago, my husband had bought me this book, The Legacy of the Dog. It's an awesome book with tons of breeds and really neat pictures. I also have Legacy of the Puppy and Legacy of the Cat. Well, my nephews are in elementary school and they LOVE cats, dogs, and books, so I was thinking of getting the books for them. They're neat because they're mostly big huge pictures of them, but has really cool info, too (especially the cat one, has a HUGE section of genetics) so I thought they would have fun now, but it would also have cool info for when they got older.

Well, the books are out of print. :argh: Even the used ones are expensive if you get the ones rated "Like New". So, my only options would be getting ones that are obviously second hand, or finding different, similar books. Anyone have any suggestions? Kid friendly, but not dumbed down, I guess, and cheap enough to justify buying for my nephews.

• Locked thread