Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

The GIG posted:

I'm just surprised that people are seriously getting mad about some characters looking like anime characters when the series went pretty much anime as gently caress with 6 and on. I personally don't care about the 5 Wei Generals, I'm more annoyed that pretty much all of the Jin faction is made of characters that mostly never lived to even see the kingdom begin, with most of them dying half way through the story.

You could say the same thing about all 3 of the other kingdoms. The truth is that all the good stuff happened before Cao Pi usurped the Han and forced the formal foundation of the three kingdoms. Does that mean Guan Yu isn't really Shu cause he died before Liu Bei became emperor? The Jin story is about the foundation and build up of the Sima Clan, which is exactly the same set up as Wei, Wu, Shu.

WickedIcon posted:

If I am a huge Gundam nerd and want one of the DW: Gundam games, should I go ahead and get 3?

In my opinion all three DW: Gundam games did something right. The first one had the best original mode (unique story of all of the pilots getting teleported to a strange moon and fighting it out). The second one had the best official mode (recreation of some of the UC animes: original, Zeta, ZZ, and Char's Counter-Attack). And the third one had the best mission mode (in between of the previous two modes where you pick missions from a list). Personally though the second game really sucked since most of the content is in it's terrible mission mode and the official mode (though the best of the three games) isn't enough to carry it. The first and third ones are both great games though that I spent hundreds of hours with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?

Belzac posted:

You could say the same thing about all 3 of the other kingdoms. The truth is that all the good stuff happened before Cao Pi usurped the Han and forced the formal foundation of the three kingdoms. Does that mean Guan Yu isn't really Shu cause he died before Liu Bei became emperor? The Jin story is about the foundation and build up of the Sima Clan, which is exactly the same set up as Wei, Wu, Shu.

Good point, forgot about that. I still think it's bad that that most of Jin doesn't even make it to the end, because it really is jarring to have the Jin campaign after XL only having 3 (Or 2, don't remember if Deng Ai shows up for the Rebellion or if he got offed offscreen) make it to the end.

Then again, despite being a full on story mode, Jin itself just seems like it was ut there to test the waters of interest.

EDIT: Just remembered that Zhao dies literally right before the credits roll, so only Yuanji survives. That is some serious lack of characters in Jin's depth chart.

The GIG fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Dec 5, 2012

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Policenaut posted:

This sounds pretty encouraging. I'm already really enjoying the manga so far, it sort of reminds me of DBZ only things actually happen and its got pirates. I just wish it would lay off on the flash backs at a little. That volume which turned into a giant flashback halfway right as Luffy started fighting the Ice King was such a god drat tease.

Yeah this is a complaint of mine, the flashbacks for the most part seemed boring and way too long. There is a flashback for the crewmember you're about to see them pick up that's really good though. My only other complaint would be that the next saga you will get to (Skypiea saga) seemed way too long and not as good as it could have been.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Pirate Warriors 2? :stare:

Welp, I see Enel, that means Skypiea is basically confirmed and I'd assume (minor spoilers for Policenaut) Thriller Bark as well. Just let me play as Smoker or Tashigi. :pray:

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011

Belzac posted:

In my opinion all three DW: Gundam games did something right. The first one had the best original mode (unique story of all of the pilots getting teleported to a strange moon and fighting it out). The second one had the best official mode (recreation of some of the UC animes: original, Zeta, ZZ, and Char's Counter-Attack). And the third one had the best mission mode (in between of the previous two modes where you pick missions from a list). Personally though the second game really sucked since most of the content is in it's terrible mission mode and the official mode (though the best of the three games) isn't enough to carry it. The first and third ones are both great games though that I spent hundreds of hours with.

So, since 2 and 3 are both pretty cheap and I don't really care about the original mode, I should probably grab both of them. :)

And honestly I don't really care about it feeling weird to beat up hordes of enemies in gundams, I just want a badass robot fighting game for 360 with characters I recognize.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

The GIG posted:

EDIT: Just remembered that Zhao dies literally right before the credits roll, so only Yuanji survives. That is some serious lack of characters in Jin's depth chart.

To be fair, 7 was literally the first game to include Jin at all. If the formation of Jin got covered at all it was "Oh and then Sima Yi betrays Wei, here's one mission where that plays out." I don't know about the first Dynasty Warrior game, but I'd bet that the Shu, Wei, and Wu rosters were missing a number of important figures.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

WickedIcon posted:

So, since 2 and 3 are both pretty cheap and I don't really care about the original mode, I should probably grab both of them. :)

And honestly I don't really care about it feeling weird to beat up hordes of enemies in gundams, I just want a badass robot fighting game for 360 with characters I recognize.

I would highly recommend playing them both, and starting with DWG2, obviously. They are both good and you will appreciate a lot of the changes made in DWG3 if you play DWG2 first. Also, if your a completionist then DWG2 may destroy you.

I played DWG2 having only seen Wing back in the day and before DWG3 came out I watched Z, G, 0079, and some of ZZ and it didn't bother me that the battles were more populated and action packed than they are in the show. I'm also realizing that Koei games are turning me to an anime guy, which is kind of weird.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

SirPhoebos posted:

To be fair, 7 was literally the first game to include Jin at all. If the formation of Jin got covered at all it was "Oh and then Sima Yi betrays Wei, here's one mission where that plays out." I don't know about the first Dynasty Warrior game, but I'd bet that the Shu, Wei, and Wu rosters were missing a number of important figures.

That's why I said that Jin seems to be there to test interest in them, though the lack of characters in previous games wasn't so obvious since they didn't go in depth that far and just had whatever character you had say a random line when appropriate. But yeah, no matter what Jin would have felt a little lacking in it's introduction, it's just that when you get only a little more than 10% of the cast it really feels odd when the game plays them up as A Really Big Deal and have most of them not even make it.

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
They pick characters based on what they need and can tell the story they want. Importance in history has a role, but you can't tell me Zhou Tai or Cao Ren(debuts DW4) are more important than Cao Pi(debuts DW5). Hell, you got Cao Pi's wife before him because Wei had no women.

There's also a level of catering to to the vocal fanbase - a big portion of the fanbase loves the pretty boy characters, and there's probably a disproportionate Yaoi following for this game. Notice than Jin is all very highly attractive outside Guo Hai, Deng Ai, Sima Yi(a holdover), and arguably Zhuge Dan. I was actually shocked when they portrayed Gan Ning in Orochi 3 as a rambling idiot counterpart to Masanori Fukushima. Gan Ning is massive fangirl magnet, and I'm convinced Ling Tong was added for less than historical reasons.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

SirPhoebos posted:

The first Dynasty Warriors game was a fighter.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

PureRok posted:

The first Dynasty Warriors game was a fighter.
Its part of the reason why I thought it was funny that people were excited about the fighting feature in the WiiU version of Orochi 3. They stopped making fighting games after the first one because they were terrible at it. Orochi Z also has a fighting mode and it is also no good.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

The one in Orochi 2 PSP was pretty fun to me. And people seem to be enjoying Hyper's versus mode.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

WickedIcon posted:

1 is great if you're a Gundam nerd due to all the little touches the other games don't have and if you like killing enemies as it has the most grunts. 2 is great for the story mode but has an absolute ton of frustrating elements that are mostly removed by 3. It is also a game where you just zip from general to general and don't worry about any minions so your enjoyment of the game will be dependent on how much you enjoy that. 3 is really solid although the DLC character missions really need some work and your forces can't do anything if you don't have the leadership skill equipped. I'd suggest 1 and 3 over 2 and 3 but if you're itching for the official story mode then 2 does it best.

see you tomorrow
Jun 27, 2009

Hope they do another one and successfully manage to fuse 2 and 3 together. Gundam 3 is so much fun to play but the maps really bring it down.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

I'm still waiting for them to have more G Gundam characters and suits. I'd be satisfied just with that. Those are the characters most suited to the musou formula and they've got only two G Gundam suits.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

TTBF posted:

I'm still waiting for them to have more G Gundam characters and suits. I'd be satisfied just with that. Those are the characters most suited to the musou formula and they've got only two G Gundam suits.
Yeah, as soon as I saw God Gundam and Master Gundam in the first game I was like "ok this game doesn't need to have any other Gundam series in it, these are the only ones that actually make sense to include".

Belzac
Mar 20, 2008

The third fracture I would do away with...I can't, sorry.

F R A C T U R E

Samurai Sanders posted:

Yeah, as soon as I saw God Gundam and Master Gundam in the first game I was like "ok this game doesn't need to have any other Gundam series in it, these are the only ones that actually make sense to include".

To be fair, there are other Gundam series that can fit the formula (Turn A, Wing, SeeD, 00). They have battle where the heroes take out hundreds of enemy MSes with no trouble.

I want them to make another Original Mode like 1 again but with more characters. It was a blast to replay story lines but with other characters to get their take on what was going on (Jarid in particular).

The biggest thing I think they need to do though is get the music licensing going. The japanese version all feature tracks from the series but they all got cut for the western releases. That and get back Kamille's old voice actor.

Kamille's a man's name! And I'm a man!

Belzac fucked around with this message at 04:16 on Dec 6, 2012

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

The GIG posted:

I personally don't care about the 5 Wei Generals, I'm more annoyed that pretty much all of the Jin faction is made of characters that mostly never lived to even see the kingdom begin, with most of them dying half way through the story.

It's not that I personally have any vested interest in the Five Wei Generals (hell I'd rather have Cheng Pu than Yu Jin) but considering they're supposed to be super elite dudes it's weird to not have them playable. But I guess Wheresmy5bucks has a point in that Cao Pi didn't even show up until 5 and he was definitely more important in the grand scheme of things than Dian Wei for example. I know that "importance in history" has never been a qualification for what new characters we get, but I still think it's kind of bogus that Shu's Five Tiger Generals were all playable characters from the first "real" game and we're only just now getting the fourth of Wei's after six more games.

Though I guess the whole bias in Shu's favor has something to do with that too. Ah well.

I'm more confused why Guo Huai got put in Jin instead of Wei, besides the fact that that's where he died in the story...that still seems an odd reason to put him there. Anyway I didn't think the Jin campaign in 7 was even that great. I mean it wasn't terrible, more stages are always great, but nothing really super interesting happened, it was just "random generic officer is revolting, Jiang Wei is invading again, repeat three or four more times."

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

TTBF posted:

It's kind of depressing how G is so underrepresented in crossovers and the like in general, when it is in fact the best Gundam series.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I still can't believe that they put Schwartz in but not the Spiegel Gundam.

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Jibo posted:

I still can't believe that they put Schwartz in but not the Spiegel Gundam.
There's a lot of weirdness like that, like how Lunamaria doesn't actually have her own mobile suit. Or all those characters that appear in missions but are just sort of artbitrarily not playable.

Also, a total lack of Allenby and the Nobel Gundam :colbert:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

U.T. Raptor posted:

There's a lot of weirdness like that, like how Lunamaria doesn't actually have her own mobile suit.
Don't be silly! She has Char's custom Zaku.

U.T. Raptor posted:

Also, a total lack of Allenby and the Nobel Gundam :colbert:
Yeah, that is a serious issue.

TTBF
Sep 14, 2005

If they can fit in all the Gundam Meisters they can fit in the Shuffle Alliance. Allenby would rule pretty hard too. Was Rain an operator in 3? I don't remember her being one, which would be another crime against G Gundam.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Twelve by Pies posted:

Though I guess the whole bias in Shu's favor has something to do with that too. Ah well.
Blame the source material! :haw: Seriously, lately I have a hankering for Ravages of Time: Musou Edition! Case in point: Dian Wei (scroll down since the images at hosted at Imageshack) or Dong Zhuo literally running hundreds of officials and Imperial relatives over with the Emperor's chariot that he's pushing.

Twelve by Pies posted:

I'm more confused why Guo Huai got put in Jin instead of Wei, besides the fact that that's where he died in the story...that still seems an odd reason to put him there. Anyway I didn't think the Jin campaign in 7 was even that great. I mean it wasn't terrible, more stages are always great, but nothing really super interesting happened, it was just "random generic officer is revolting, Jiang Wei is invading again, repeat three or four more times."
This is pretty much why most adaptations conclude with Wuzhang Plains.

Chortles fucked around with this message at 08:26 on Dec 6, 2012

Wheresmy5bucks
Feb 10, 2007

So, where is it?
I thought maybe they should have done a perspective of Later Wu and Shu, but since history dictates that Shu is being led by a crazy suicidal Jiang Wei who wants to keep smashing his face into Wei and Wu is being led by senile Sun Quan getting drunk and ordering random people killed, it would expose the fact that Wei/Jin ultimately won and unified China through loving up the least.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Twelve by Pies posted:

The real charm to Jin's campaign were the characters themselves, rather than the events of it. I found the entire Jin cast list to be chock full of really fun characters with interesting play styles that were just so different from the rank and file of the other three. I kept expecting the game to give me a character who was absolutely awful to play as, but it just never happened. This might be due to the fact that Jin had a much lesser cast size than the other three kingdoms due to the late game nature, but it sort of felt they had this "everyone has to have something unique" angle.

That's why I'm super excited for Dynasty Warriors 8 putting a huge focus on Jin, because the cast list for the kingdom was an all-time favorite for me and I'd love to see more of it. The Simas are my favorite characters in DW now because of Jin. Whether it's good ol' Sima Yi laughing as he nukes dudes, Sima Shi channeling Lelouch Lamperouge, or Sima Zhao's soldier surfboard, I'm totally down for more Sima family antics.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Policenaut posted:

The real charm to Jin's campaign were the characters themselves, rather than the events of it. I found the entire Jin cast list to be chock full of really fun characters with interesting play styles that were just so different from the rank and file of the other three. I kept expecting the game to give me a character who was absolutely awful to play as, but it just never happened. This might be due to the fact that Jin had a much lesser cast size than the other three kingdoms due to the late game nature, but it sort of felt they had this "everyone has to have something unique" angle.

That's why I'm super excited for Dynasty Warriors 8 putting a huge focus on Jin, because the cast list for the kingdom was an all-time favorite for me and I'd love to see more of it. The Simas are my favorite characters in DW now because of Jin. Whether it's good ol' Sima Yi laughing as he nukes dudes, Sima Shi channeling Lelouch Lamperouge, or Sima Zhao's soldier surfboard, I'm totally down for more Sima family antics.
Sima Zhao is my least favorite of them, but he's also the lead. I run into this problem a lot in Japanese games these days...

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Samurai Sanders posted:

Sima Zhao is my least favorite of them, but he's also the lead. I run into this problem a lot in Japanese games these days...

I was really pleased that his incredibly anime character arc, complete with nagging childhood friend slash girlfriend and much more talented older brother who is also a rival, didn't end with some kind of typical pseudo-inspirational moment about hope, family, loyalty, or anything like that. He just goes "Holy poo poo! All of you are DUMBASSES!" and proceeds to curbstomp the kingdoms. It was like watching the birth of an anime Red Forman.

But yeah, beyond that he was kind of bland compared to Full Bamboo Jacket, Sad Painter, Crazy Strategist, Lelouch, or Xiahou Ba On Vacation.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Wheresmy5bucks posted:

I thought maybe they should have done a perspective of Later Wu and Shu, but since history dictates that Shu is being led by a crazy suicidal Jiang Wei who wants to keep smashing his face into Wei and Wu is being led by senile Sun Quan getting drunk and ordering random people killed, it would expose the fact that Wei/Jin ultimately won and unified China through loving up the least.
Well, DW7 already DID pretty overtly state the first part in the Jin campaign -- though in the traditional Chinese telling, the "right" thing to do was to be crazy suicidal smashing your face into Wei, while by the "4th" Invasion even the narrator is overtly tired of this -- while the bit about Wu... well, is it just me or did Wu have the most "like previous DW games" story out of the kingdoms in DW7? My friend's nicknames for the Three Kingdoms are "Team Green", "Team Cao" and "Team Awesome" for a reason...

I will note, Policenaut, that Sima Zhao's character shift was after both his father and older brother died, leaving him to inherit the family legacy of "IMBECILES!" :haw: Seriously though, even more than "more" Jin, I'd want Ravages of Time: Musou Edition just for the sight of a cleaved-in-two Dian Wei clinging to Zhang Xiu's ankle and ordering his severed lower half to kick Zhang Xiu to death.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Policenaut posted:

Echoing the love for Jin's characters. My personal favorite has to be Deng Ai, because his look makes him stand out compared the the rest of Jin, and his personality is so grounded and and makes sense. Where everyone else just pulls crazy strategies out of their rear end, almost all the scenes where he is planning has him looking over maps and consulting others. In all honesty he feels like he could be the protagonist of a less completely out there game. I guess if I want to be cheeky and lame I could just say he's so ordinary it makes him extraordinary.

Jupiter Jazz
Jan 13, 2007

by sebmojo
Jin's characters are the best and Jin is the best kingdom.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
I feel like I must have played a different game than you guys becaus Guo Huai was okay, Ding Feng Deng Ai was cool, and Sima Yi was awesome as hell but everyone else was poo poo.

Jibo fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Dec 6, 2012

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Policenaut posted:

I was really pleased that his incredibly anime character arc, complete with nagging childhood friend slash girlfriend and much more talented older brother who is also a rival, didn't end with some kind of typical pseudo-inspirational moment about hope, family, loyalty, or anything like that. He just goes "Holy poo poo! All of you are IMBICILES!" and proceeds to curbstomp the kingdoms. It was like watching the birth of an anime Red Forman.

But yeah, beyond that he was kind of bland compared to Full Bamboo Jacket, Sad Painter, Crazy Strategist, Lelouch, or Xiahou Ba On Vacation.

Fixed that for you! :haw:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Nothing comes between Dung Ai and his doody.

Grimdaddy
Dec 1, 2003

The question isn't indiscreet. But the answer could be.

Policenaut posted:

Just gave the Hokuto Musou 2 demo a whirl. Here's a bunch of words:words:

Thanks for all the effort, it told me everything I needed to know.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
One Piece Warriors is going to be on promo at the psn store; can someone give me a quick overview of it? Or should I just wait for a better game?

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Honest Thief posted:

One Piece Warriors is going to be on promo at the psn store; can someone give me a quick overview of it? Or should I just wait for a better game?

Wait. As both a huge DW and One Piece fan it was incredibly disappointing. The main problem is compared to most Warriors games, it's horribly lacking in content. The main story mode can only be played through as Luffy and it's about as long the story mode of a single character in any of the other games, and the other playable characters in 'Another Story' mode have only have on average five stages each and sometimes a lot less, though there are a decent number of characters. Add to that that the platforming segments, none-musou stages and gimmick boss fights are all horrible and to cap it all off it also contains a bunch of weird bugs.

I did like the combo system though and hope they use it again.

Onion Rings
Sep 20, 2001
Whoah wait did one piece warriors come out in the US? Is it good if I know nothing about the manga but love Dynasty Warriors games like a fiend?

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice

Honest Thief posted:

I just bought it this week at full price. :(

It's a fun enough game, I imagine if you get it cheap enough it won't seem too bad. It is pretty lacking in content, the main story is 13 levels of Luffy, four of which are QTE platforming levels with bosses at the end. There are little things throughout the game that really makes it seem like they just kind of slapped it together.

I'm not unhappy with the game, but it's probably the worst Musou game I've played.

Onion Rings posted:

Whoah wait did one piece warriors come out in the US? Is it good if I know nothing about the manga but love Dynasty Warriors games like a fiend?

Honestly, the story itself is so lightly sprinkled throughout the game that it's not like you need to be familiar with the series to play it but I imagine that a lot of the characters won't seem as interesting if you don't know anything about them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoB
May 1, 2009

Sakurazuka posted:

Wait. As both a huge DW and One Piece fan it was incredibly disappointing. The main problem is compared to most Warriors games, it's horribly lacking in content. The main story mode can only be played through as Luffy and it's about as long the story mode of a single character in any of the other games, and the other playable characters in 'Another Story' mode have only have on average five stages each and sometimes a lot less, though there are a decent number of characters. Add to that that the platforming segments, none-musou stages and gimmick boss fights are all horrible and to cap it all off it also contains a bunch of weird bugs.

I did like the combo system though and hope they use it again.

I agree with all this, it was very disappointing to me.