Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bob_McBob
Mar 24, 2007
Where are you seeing refurb Saeco Aromas for $129?

It's not worth spending $50 on a portafilter for a Saeco Aroma. You do the modification yourself on the stock portafilter very easily. You would be better off making some modifications to the steam wand to remove the frothing aid.

What grinder are you planning to use with this machine?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Bob_McBob posted:

Where are you seeing refurb Saeco Aromas for $129?

It's not worth spending $50 on a portafilter for a Saeco Aroma. You do the modification yourself on the stock portafilter very easily. You would be better off making some modifications to the steam wand to remove the frothing aid.

What grinder are you planning to use with this machine?

I realize that there is a mod to make the stock filter non-pressurized, but I've also read that reversing it is somewhat questionable. I'd like to leave myself some room for when I'm lazy and don't want to be careful or if my grinder (encore) isn't good enough to actually use a non-pressurized basket. Refurb Aromas are on seattlecoffeegear for 129 free shipping right now, and even after buying another portafilter I still have a little extra budget to play with

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
I almost jumped on the Aroma at $179, now here I am again but at $129. My biggest fear is that I'll get one, then immediately want to upgrade to a nicer machine.

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

MrEnigma posted:

I almost jumped on the Aroma at $179, now here I am again but at $129. My biggest fear is that I'll get one, then immediately want to upgrade to a nicer machine.

buy a better grinder then.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!

GrAviTy84 posted:

buy a better grinder then.

Speaking of grinders, my grinder can take this a portafilter holder, but man reviews are bad. I assume people just do the standard make a mess pouring it into the portafilter? Or "gasp" hold it?

Edit: Now with more link -- http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/baratza-portaholder

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MrEnigma posted:

Speaking of grinders, my grinder can take this a portafilter holder, but man reviews are bad. I assume people just do the standard make a mess pouring it into the portafilter? Or "gasp" hold it?

Edit: Now with more link -- http://www.seattlecoffeegear.com/baratza-portaholder
Yea, I don't like the portaholder on my grinder. I just use the standard basket and pour. I have a little funnel thing that's fitted to my portafilter to reduce mess though.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
What kind of grinder are you buying/using?
edit: Dammit, I missed there was another page.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Anybody familiar with Turkish Coffee process? I'm trying to figure out why I can't get any foam. I add coffee and sugar to cold water, wait until it settles on the bottom while heating up, and stir it vigorously. I get thick foam for a hot second but then it all dissipates. I don't allow the pot to boil and what little foam is there is gone by the time I pour.

It's good coffee but it's just not the same without the foam!

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

al-azad posted:

Anybody familiar with Turkish Coffee process? I'm trying to figure out why I can't get any foam. I add coffee and sugar to cold water, wait until it settles on the bottom while heating up, and stir it vigorously. I get thick foam for a hot second but then it all dissipates. I don't allow the pot to boil and what little foam is there is gone by the time I pour.

The instructions I've read all say to bring it to a boil at least once, many of them say three times in a row. I've never done it but it might be the problem.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Do dark beans grind less consistently? I recently bought some lightly roasted beans from Coava, and the grind looked nice. Now I bought from a local roaster, and the beans are much darker. At the same grind setting I get more fines, as if it's crumbling apart with some larger pieces staying intact.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

al-azad posted:

I'm not clear on when exactly you're stirring, but you should stir as you heat up the pot initially until it feels 'smooth' for lack of a better descriptor. Just enough for the sugar to dissolve. After that, stop stirring, don't mess with it, let it heat slowly over a low flame until it's just short of boil. As Arnold mentioned, a lot of people will let it rest for a few seconds off the heat, then repeat the process again. I know some people scoop the foam out of the pot with a spoon and distribute amongst the cups before pouring as well.

Punzilupo
Jul 2, 2004

that Vai sound posted:

Do dark beans grind less consistently? I recently bought some lightly roasted beans from Coava, and the grind looked nice. Now I bought from a local roaster, and the beans are much darker. At the same grind setting I get more fines, as if it's crumbling apart with some larger pieces staying intact.
I've had more or less the same experience. I think darker beans tend to be more brittle, and maybe shatter a bit during the grinding. Even the noise the grinder makes is a little different.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Punzilupo posted:

I've had more or less the same experience. I think darker beans tend to be more brittle, and maybe shatter a bit during the grinding. Even the noise the grinder makes is a little different.

This is my experience as well, likely for the brittleness you've mentioned.

Interestingly for me, I started out loving the tartness and acidity of African coffees and the mild nuttiness of certain Latin American beans. Now I feel like I've moved on to a more full, dark, syrupy texture. It's the first time I have noticed a change in preference -- I seem now to learn towards textured full-bodied dark roasts with hints of sweetness and nuts.

that Vai sound
Mar 6, 2011
Any advice for adjusting the grinder for darker beans? I've adjusted the potentiometer to the lowest setting like Baratza advises, but it still isn't helping at a grind setting I know works for lighter roasts. It seems to at least help a little with a coarser grind.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Oh man, this Sumatran Lake Toba 19+ Screen is absolutely delicious. Been using old lovely store bought coffee while waiting for this and the difference is just night and day.

Gonna roast up some Yemen next weekend.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Hauki posted:

I'm not clear on when exactly you're stirring, but you should stir as you heat up the pot initially until it feels 'smooth' for lack of a better descriptor. Just enough for the sugar to dissolve. After that, stop stirring, don't mess with it, let it heat slowly over a low flame until it's just short of boil. As Arnold mentioned, a lot of people will let it rest for a few seconds off the heat, then repeat the process again. I know some people scoop the foam out of the pot with a spoon and distribute amongst the cups before pouring as well.

Yaay it worked! I think my problem was stirring too much.

Now that's Turkish coffee. loving sludge on the bottom and delicious hot cocoa style foam on top. Little cardamom, ground cloves, and cinnamon forgetaboutit. Now I just have to perfect my pour to avoid unsightly grime on the sides of the cup.

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004
Oh boy, it's that time of year where they play the Folgers commercial with the guy who comes back from Africa for Christmas and is happy to have a "real" cup of coffee. That poor poor guy.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW
I finally got a food scale (mostly for charcuterie) so I want to try measuring my coffee by weight instead of volume. What is the recommended weight per cup of water for a drip machine, and should it be weighed as whole beans or after grinding? It's a Technivorm Moccamaster.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

al-azad posted:

Yaay it worked! I think my problem was stirring too much.

Now that's Turkish coffee. loving sludge on the bottom and delicious hot cocoa style foam on top. Little cardamom, ground cloves, and cinnamon forgetaboutit. Now I just have to perfect my pour to avoid unsightly grime on the sides of the cup.
Awesome, glad to hear it turned out better.

Martello posted:

I finally got a food scale (mostly for charcuterie) so I want to try measuring my coffee by weight instead of volume. What is the recommended weight per cup of water for a drip machine, and should it be weighed as whole beans or after grinding? It's a Technivorm Moccamaster.
The SCAA standard is 6% by weight of the water I believe. Start with something like 15- 16g per 8 oz?
I weigh as whole beans because I don't use the hopper and grind by dose, so it's easier to weigh it before putting it in the grinder and I can then sweep the grinder clean without fiddling around with extra ground coffee or what have you. The difference in weight from whole bean to ground depends heavily on your grinder and how much coffee gets trapped inside. I find I have relatively little loss from whole bean to ground, generally less than or equal to .2g.

In other news, got my Chemex & Able Kone today, enjoying my first cup as I type.

MrEnigma
Aug 30, 2004

Moo!
Anybody have any opinions on the kickstarted PID espresso machine, they are taking pre-orders now, but yet no machines.

http://zpmespresso.myshopify.com

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

Hauki posted:

The SCAA standard is 6% by weight of the water I believe. Start with something like 15- 16g per 8 oz?
I weigh as whole beans because I don't use the hopper and grind by dose, so it's easier to weigh it before putting it in the grinder and I can then sweep the grinder clean without fiddling around with extra ground coffee or what have you. The difference in weight from whole bean to ground depends heavily on your grinder and how much coffee gets trapped inside. I find I have relatively little loss from whole bean to ground, generally less than or equal to .2g.

Cool, thanks for the answer! I'll try weighing it tomorrow morning.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I drink a ton of coffee and absolutely love it, but I freely admit I don't know poo poo and am realizing that I'm doing most everything wrong. At home, I have a DeLonghi bean to cup machine, at work I have a small bodum french press, naturally I grind a week's worth of coffee in my lovely grinder (burr, but still manages to make a few tablespoons of impossibly fine powder along with any coarse grind) and take it to work. I'm not quite ready to grind coffee at work yet.

I have access to good coffee through a friend, as well as the occasional cupping session, but it's all wasted on me, which is why I'm here. Mainly though, I had a question. I recently helped out on an origin trip to South America, and at lots of fincas people drank "essencia", which was essentially very thick, strong "condensed" coffee, of which a small amount was poured into a cup, followed by lots of hot water. I brought back one of the coffeepots they used for this but I neglected to pay attention or ask how it was made as I was too busy. A percolator has a tube in the middle, doesn't it? Any ideas of how this pot is supposed to be used?

Armed Neutrality fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Dec 4, 2012

scythide
Aug 8, 2003

Normal?
Looks similar to vietnamese coffee

http://coffeegeek.com/guides/vietnameseiced

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

rockcity posted:

Oh boy, it's that time of year where they play the Folgers commercial with the guy who comes back from Africa for Christmas and is happy to have a "real" cup of coffee. That poor poor guy.

At least it is west africa. If he was coming from Kenya or Ethiopia my TV wouldn't have survived.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

MrEnigma posted:

Anybody have any opinions on the kickstarted PID espresso machine, they are taking pre-orders now, but yet no machines.

I pre-ordered one when it was on KS. The updates are pretty fascinating; they are going into deep detail of all components. It is shaping up to be a worthy machine. Beyond that, it's anyone's guess.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/zpmespresso/pid-controlled-espresso-machine

Hauki
May 11, 2010

MrEnigma posted:

I'm curious, but a little skeptical. Waiting for user reviews.
I mostly use a Cremina at home now, but I have all sorts of random coffee gear strewn about already, so one more thing couldn't hurt, right?

Corla Plankun
May 8, 2007

improve the lives of everyone
I think that is just a really strangely designed pour-over style coffee maker.

kim jong-illin
May 2, 2011
My Dad spilt the beans on my birthday present a week early. "You like coffee don't you? I bought a bag of this stuff from Jamaica, Blue Mountain or some other kind of hippy name". Can't wait!

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

kim jong-illin posted:

My Dad spilt the beans on my birthday present a week early. "You like coffee don't you? I bought a bag of this stuff from Jamaica, Blue Mountain or some other kind of hippy name". Can't wait!

Hopefully it's real Jamaica Blue and not an imposter.

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

Is Lavazza coffee any good?

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

i am not so sure posted:

Is Lavazza coffee any good?

No.

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

This past Saturday, we went to a coffee tasting by one of our local roasters, Carabello Coffee (http://www.carabellocoffee.com). In this particular session, they had some beans that had been processed in three different ways, and the goal was to taste the difference between them. It was pretty interesting because there was quite a bit of difference in taste, smell, and acidity. I never realized this variable was even part of the equation that leads to what we end up tasting.

Probably even more interesting was the blend they created with the three types of beans. The resulting flavors were a combination of all three, but it wasn't just the sum of all three. Some flavors complemented each other while others were masked or toned down. It takes quite a bit of skill and experience to be able to combine different beans to create a complex and intense mix. It reminded me of how perfumers create meaningful fragrances by combining various ingredients.

Martello
Apr 29, 2012

by XyloJW

B-but it's Italy's Favorite Coffee! :italy:

But yeah, it's really not that good.

I don't know how most of you other coffeegoons feel about cream/milk and sweeteners in coffee, but I just started doing something that I find delicious. I heat half-and-half and little maple syrup together in the microwave for about 25 seconds. That goes in the bottom of my Nissan-Thermos travel tumbler, and then I pour the hot coffee on top of it. That way the syrup mixes properly into the half-and-half and coffee, and heating it also keeps the temperature of the coffee where it should be.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

medchem posted:

This past Saturday, we went to a coffee tasting by one of our local roasters, Carabello Coffee (http://www.carabellocoffee.com). In this particular session, they had some beans that had been processed in three different ways, and the goal was to taste the difference between them. It was pretty interesting because there was quite a bit of difference in taste, smell, and acidity. I never realized this variable was even part of the equation that leads to what we end up tasting.

Probably even more interesting was the blend they created with the three types of beans. The resulting flavors were a combination of all three, but it wasn't just the sum of all three. Some flavors complemented each other while others were masked or toned down. It takes quite a bit of skill and experience to be able to combine different beans to create a complex and intense mix. It reminded me of how perfumers create meaningful fragrances by combining various ingredients.

Looks like a cool roastery. As I begin to get into coffee, I'm starting to wonder what "washed" etc really mean.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
By "processed differently" does that mean just different roasts of the same beans? Or is there something else going on there as well?

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!

Mister Sinewave posted:

By "processed differently" does that mean just different roasts of the same beans? Or is there something else going on there as well?

Mandalay posted:

Looks like a cool roastery. As I begin to get into coffee, I'm starting to wonder what "washed" etc really mean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coffee_processing
I believe washed refers to wet processing while the beans are still green and natural process generally refers to a dry process. I'm not an expert on this, but the wiki page looks informative enough

medchem
Oct 11, 2012

Gwrtheyrn has it. Here's more info on it:

http://www.sweetmarias.com/dictionary.php?category=process

In my case, they had the same beans roasted and brewed the same way. Only the process of extracting the green beans from the berries was different.

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I went to a tiny little informal thing sort of along the same lines today; there's a guy at the campus food co-op who's been working with my favorite local roaster a lot lately, so he had a couple people stop by for a taste test experiment - the only thing he varied between the three cups he gave us was the water he used. One with a purified bottled water, one with tap water, and one with tap water filtered through something he got from Culligan. I have understood in an abstract sense that water is important but it was cool to have such a stark demonstration; the table was almost unanimous that the bottled water made the worst coffee and the Culligan filter the best.

And here I thought I was going to be done buying coffee equipment for a few months.

min
May 12, 2001

Irony.or.Death posted:

I went to a tiny little informal thing sort of along the same lines today; there's a guy at the campus food co-op who's been working with my favorite local roaster a lot lately, so he had a couple people stop by for a taste test experiment - the only thing he varied between the three cups he gave us was the water he used. One with a purified bottled water, one with tap water, and one with tap water filtered through something he got from Culligan. I have understood in an abstract sense that water is important but it was cool to have such a stark demonstration; the table was almost unanimous that the bottled water made the worst coffee and the Culligan filter the best.

And here I thought I was going to be done buying coffee equipment for a few months.

Do you have any information on the "something" from Culligan? I've been thinking about getting a better water filter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

Unfortunately I had to run before I could grill him for details, but I'll be sure to report back next week after I find out.