Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HORNEY VAPE BRO
Jun 14, 2009

DMX is many things but he definitely ain't no Grinch.

http://www.thestrut.com/2012/12/03/dmx-singing-rudolf-the-red-nosed-reindeer-is-exactly-as-amazing-as-you-would-expect/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

6 posts back dude

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Das Racist was dope for the most part. Heard their live shows were a mess though and Heems was pretty bullshit at freestyling

Don't think anyone will be mourning them too heavily

Is no one else feeling Objectum Sexuality? Production bangs and the album is a good mix of styles between stuff like that and more traditional rap production like Gossip, In The A, Thom Pettie. Really liking it.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
Das Racist sucked.

ashgromnies posted:

Is no one else feeling Objectum Sexuality?

Yeah the production on Objectum Sexuality is in fact banging. All of the Phantogram songs turned out surprisingly well. I also like Thickets, Apple of My Eye, all the songs I already mentioned, really the whole album is pretty stacked. Except for the Kid Cudi song. I hate Kid Cudi.

cardedagain
Aug 28, 2006

ashgromnies posted:

Don't think anyone will be mourning them too heavily

they're actually getting more press than I expected, or people that actually care, as I would think.

Even the editor for Mass Appeal wrote a statement about it.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
I liked them a lot, but they really weren't real artists. No need for such coverage.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

cardedagain posted:

they're actually getting more press than I expected, or people that actually care, as I would think.

Even the editor for Mass Appeal wrote a statement about it.

White people really like them so I'm not surprised

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsCcjstprgE

new juicy J, young jeezy and big sean. weird combo of people on it but it goes

temple
Jul 29, 2006

I have actual skeletons in my closet
I like(d) Das Racist. They are sarcastic and critical. The best reason to be sarcastic. I'm not surprised at their arrogance because they seem to be well read and have a cultural chip on their shoulder. I appreciate it because it is arrogant to stuff I don't like, instead of the other way around.

Slackerish
Jan 1, 2007

Hail Boognish
Arrogance? In rap music? How unheard of

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

temple posted:

I like(d) Das Racist. They are sarcastic and critical. The best reason to be sarcastic. I'm not surprised at their arrogance because they seem to be well read and have a cultural chip on their shoulder. I appreciate it because it is arrogant to stuff I don't like, instead of the other way around.
Yeah I dunno they always showed a good respect for hip hop in their lyrics to me and showed both a knowledge of the music and of tons of other esoteric poo poo they'd throw in there. It could bring up a discussion about self-referentiality in art, but for me part of the fun of most innovative hip hop is that it creates something new while respecting/referring to older things that casual listeners wouldn't necessarily pick up on. I'm not saying they're ATCQ but I think they were capable rappers with good production and smart lyrics.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Their lyrics were always kinda...sloppy to me but I liked Kool AD's solo album best anyways so w/e. Their production was always solid though and it would've been nice to see what their "final" album would've sounded like. I will say though that I think they were maybe a bit too "self-aware" and that probably hurt whatever messages they were trying to put out but w/e.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
iii enjoyed them best live in redhook park over the summer with action bronson, on wax they are pretty forgettable imo

a false
Mar 5, 2009

I DECIDE
WHO LIVES
AND WHO DIES
i liked them on that exquire remix that had the good el-p verse

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

thathonkey posted:

Das Racist sucked.

Yeah the production on Objectum Sexuality is in fact banging. All of the Phantogram songs turned out surprisingly well. I also like Thickets, Apple of My Eye, all the songs I already mentioned, really the whole album is pretty stacked. Except for the Kid Cudi song. I hate Kid Cudi.

Objectum Sexuality and CPU are both awesome. I'm also really feeling Shoes for Running; I think the indie vibe actually works perfectly with the song. And I don't mind the Cudi feature and I too can't stand Cudi.

I stand by my original comment, this could actually be AOTY for me just because of how sonically vibrant/ambitious it is.

Edit: Also, the Indie elements on the production of this album makes it remind me of the production on Uzi Does It by Get Busy Committee a bit. Obviously this is a very surface level comparison so make of it what you will.

Professor Funk fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 4, 2012

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012
It is a toss up between Vicious Lies and Good Kid for rap AOTY... I think I am leaning towards Vicious though right now (probably because it is freshest in my mind). The sound is more unique and I got to hand it to Big Boi for making a fusion-style album that really works on almost every level.

Big Boi's verses, as somebody said earlier, are often the underwhelming parts but there are still a lot of fire ones. (2nd verse on Objectum is one of the best things Big Boi has done in a long time though.)

"So Shazam me, and then you'll Google Dungeon Family"
"Rub my stick on your chick like a violin"

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 4, 2012

the black husserl
Feb 25, 2005

a false posted:

They pulled off that trick twice, meaning they had two good songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2gkCsd5XafE

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
Nice to see Freck Billy aka Mr Bar 4 Bar is back in the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iSh_r2jXqOU
these niggas say they buyin cars but we see them leasin, I tell the dealer I'm "takin' 2" like Liam Neeson

Besson
Apr 20, 2006

To the sun's savage brightness he exposed the dark and secret surface of his retinas, so that by burning the memory of vengeance might be preserved, and never perish.

temple posted:

This is a really great description of why I had a soft spot for them. While their rapping could vary from being sweet to super lazy, they also had the right attitude and an interesting variety of sounds going on.

Also: another song with Danny Brown who loving kills it. Ignore Kool AD's first verse if you aren't into it, but the song from Danny Brown onwards is pretty great. Also, Despot manages to not gently caress it up.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jp5W7ljVJ0

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Game x Master P

http://www.djpremierblog.com/2012/12/04/the-game-hvn4agngsta-feat-master-p-official-version-with-scratches-cdq/

Game x Big Sean x Weezy x Jeremih x Fabolous

http://rapradar.com/2012/12/04/new-music-game-ft-big-sean-lil-wayne-jeremih-fabolous-all-that-lady/

Jesus Piece doesn't sound completely terrible so far, which is a better appraisal than I was expecting to give it.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

doctor thodt posted:

Game x Master P

http://www.djpremierblog.com/2012/12/04/the-game-hvn4agngsta-feat-master-p-official-version-with-scratches-cdq/

Game x Big Sean x Weezy x Jeremih x Fabolous

http://rapradar.com/2012/12/04/new-music-game-ft-big-sean-lil-wayne-jeremih-fabolous-all-that-lady/

Jesus Piece doesn't sound completely terrible so far, which is a better appraisal than I was expecting to give it.

BIG BOYZ NEIGHBORHOOD! loving un-listenable.

CruJones
Feb 22, 2006

by Lowtax
Shoes for Running is loving amazing. I'm surprised at how well Big Boi works with "non-traditional" artists. I was worried about all the Phantogram and Wavves, but those tracks are the best. I know he is a fan of a lot of different types of music and his eclectic knowledge shows.

The Flying Milton
Jan 18, 2005

Ive been listening to Wu-Block on repeat since it came out. This album is everything that got me listening to rap.

vanbags
Dec 6, 2003

An ape.

a false posted:

i hope you're using "since" to indicate a timeframe and not as a synonym for "because" right here
Yeah, I poorly worded that. I meant he's been decent since he signed to MMG, but I prefer his older stuff. I think he's switched his style up so much to fit more in line with MMG's audience.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

From the ever excellent Rap Colouring Book (Has that been posted?)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

a false posted:

Yeah, that was really the only thing "they" ever did that I liked.

Remember their appearance on Conan?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZUxLlXikwZU

Jesus.

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

The Big Boi album is...something. I think the biggest problem I have with it is that it sounds almost like Big Boi is the feature on all of the songs, like he just seems to get lost in most of them, or is totally out of place. I think some people have already commented on this but I think this would've been an amazing Outkast album. As it is, there's like 10 albums this year I'd say were better personally, mainly because I can't give someone credit for having the best album when (as a couple other people have also said) they're arguably the worst part of their own album. I give him credit for trying something ambitious (or credit to whoever actually conceived of the album) but he just doesn't hold up with all the things that are going on.

Robert Analog
Feb 16, 2008

shyah
Speaking of favorite albums of the year I'm curious as to what the posters in this thread thinks are best. I know sometimes there's a thread like that in NMD but I haven't seen it yet did het deem it too PYF?

het
Nov 14, 2002

A dark black past
is my most valued
possession

Robert Analog posted:

Speaking of favorite albums of the year I'm curious as to what the posters in this thread thinks are best. I know sometimes there's a thread like that in NMD but I haven't seen it yet did het deem it too PYF?
No, there's one every year but nobody's made one, feel free to make one. Obviously write something about the albums you select, just listing them might as well be in PYF.

thathonkey
Jul 17, 2012

alansmithee posted:

it sounds almost like Big Boi is the feature on all of the songs, like he just seems to get lost in most of them, or is totally out of place.

As much as I like Big Boi and the album (read: I'm biased), this is a very real complaint and I feel the same way. There are a lot of gaps in the music where it feels like there should be a Big Boi verse but there is not.

edit: I still don't think there are TEN rap releases from this year that are better... or did you mean albums in general?

thathonkey fucked around with this message at 09:39 on Dec 5, 2012

Professor Funk
Aug 4, 2008

WE ALL KNOW WHAT NEEDS TO HAPPEN

alansmithee posted:

The Big Boi album is...something. I think the biggest problem I have with it is that it sounds almost like Big Boi is the feature on all of the songs, like he just seems to get lost in most of them, or is totally out of place. I think some people have already commented on this but I think this would've been an amazing Outkast album. As it is, there's like 10 albums this year I'd say were better personally, mainly because I can't give someone credit for having the best album when (as a couple other people have also said) they're arguably the worst part of their own album. I give him credit for trying something ambitious (or credit to whoever actually conceived of the album) but he just doesn't hold up with all the things that are going on.

I think this is a totally fair complaint, but I might also say that it's pretty clear that Big Boi did not want to make a traditional rap album and that evaluating it as such might be partially missing the point. To give some credence to your point though, I might like GKMC more than this based on cohesiveness alone, so the fact that VLDR is sort of scatter brained is definitely something I've thought about.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
Dangit wrong thread

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
New vdeo for Earl Sweatshirts - "Chum"

http://www.vevo.com/watch/earl-sweatshirt/chum-explicit/USQX91202098

animal drums
Jul 8, 2010

Professor Funk posted:

I think this is a totally fair complaint, but I might also say that it's pretty clear that Big Boi did not want to make a traditional rap album and that evaluating it as such might be partially missing the point.

You might say that, but there was no part in that post where he knocked the album for not being a traditional rap album.

THNDRTHF
Apr 14, 2004

so much for
bein' optimistic
Mr MFN Xquire is "not dissing trinidad james" here

http://twitter.com/MRMFNeXquire/status/276206108694175748

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

CruJones posted:

Shoes for Running is loving amazing. I'm surprised at how well Big Boi works with "non-traditional" artists. I was worried about all the Phantogram and Wavves, but those tracks are the best. I know he is a fan of a lot of different types of music and his eclectic knowledge shows.

Yeah Im diggin this as well

alansmithee
Jan 25, 2007

thathonkey posted:

As much as I like Big Boi and the album (read: I'm biased), this is a very real complaint and I feel the same way. There are a lot of gaps in the music where it feels like there should be a Big Boi verse but there is not.

edit: I still don't think there are TEN rap releases from this year that are better... or did you mean albums in general?

I can't even think of any non-rap poo poo from this year I listened to besides like the Godspeed album.

As for rap, I'd say the three TDE releases were better, Aesop, 10 Day mixtape, Killer Mike, and Ugly Mane. That's 7 right there. There may be a couple others, but I think it's been a real strong year in rap.

Professor Funk posted:

I think this is a totally fair complaint, but I might also say that it's pretty clear that Big Boi did not want to make a traditional rap album and that evaluating it as such might be partially missing the point. To give some credence to your point though, I might like GKMC more than this based on cohesiveness alone, so the fact that VLDR is sort of scatter brained is definitely something I've thought about.
The problem for me is that Big Boi is a traditional rapper, and he doesn't seem to meld well solo with some of the more different selections on here. Like I love all the songs with Phantogram, except for the Big Boi parts (or, I think he severely weakens the tracks). I've been listening to the album more today (and don't get me wrong, it's good) but I think the problem is that it's an Outkast album. Only, without Andre 3000 on to do his thing, it's just kinda off. There were so many tracks where I was thinking that either Andre would've helped, or just imagined someone else on them who would've done better. And it's not necessarily a knock on Big Boi, I just don't htink he sounds good over this kind of stuff.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Going to see riff raff tomorrow, should be fun although I have no idea who else is performing with him. Also

http://www.2dopeboyz.com/2012/12/04/yp-let-me-know/

GET MONEY
Sep 7, 2003

:krakken::krakken::krakken:
http://soundcloud.com/pushat/pusha-t-blocka-feat-popcaan

Pusha on a grimey rear end Jamaican trap vibe supplied by Young Chop? Oh gently caress yeah.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

New Chamillionaire

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbDH3Wydx20

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

I'm waiting on him to put out that one album that shuts his doubters up. He has yet to deliver. I don't think will ever reach the potential that his skills could live up to.

• Locked thread