Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
Sudamericana games are either very exciting, very boring or a weird, nonsensical mix of the two. That's because teams tend to either not give a gently caress at all about it, or see it as the only chance to raise a trophy in the whole year. So you get lots of B-squads, upsets and matches where sides play very inconsistently.

Grêmio had to sweat blood to win against Barcelona-EQU, even if we had moments of dominance during the match. Having someone sent off didn't help either. The divided attention between Sudamericana and Brasileirão makes watching the squad in the first tournament pretty weird. No one went "well, gently caress Suda, who cares" yet, but you can sense that everyone would much rather try for the national league title.

That being said, Suda makes for silly football, hehe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Here's hoping you guys beat Santos tonight. Should be an interesting game (5:30PM Eastern US time, FYI).

Giovanni_Sinclair
Apr 25, 2009

It was on this day that his greatest enemy defeated, the true lord of darkness arose. His name? MARIO.
Sadly I just lost all those extra channels so am suck with streams once again, I did enjoyed what I watch though.

Polidoro
Jan 5, 2011

Huevo se dice argidia. Argidia!
Argentina - Brazil has been suspended because the stadium lights don't work. Ridiculous.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
That's what they get by playing in a lovely team's stadium. Building a new stadium when you have the governor as the club president is easy.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
A poo poo game between two poo poo teams didn't happen because of poo poo lights in a poo poo stadium. Seems very appropriate.

I guess Brazil wins the worthless title by default?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
This was the best that could happen for both managers. Even if this was in my hometown , this game was worthless.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'
Tomorrow is the Super Clasico, River - Boca, around this hour.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

That was intense as expected, Boca equalized with balls and luck but there was no good football on their side today.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
Great game, two brilliant goals, Almeyda is such a beautiful man, but most importantly: how many people died?

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
From what I've seen , a bus got it's windows destroyed by mysterious flying bricks and lots of B's painted on walls.

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...
Tonight there is São Paulo (BRA) x Universidad de Chile for Copa Sul-Americana quarter finals. Looks like its going to be a pretty promising game. "La U" is the defending champion while São Paulo desperately want to win this competition, not only to get a spot back in Libertadores, but also to cure the recent trophy drought. I cheer for São Paulo and honestly this is going to be a tough match for us. Our main goalscorer, Luis Fabiano, is injured, and despite having Lucas fit I don't really like relying on him too much, he seems to love to turn off in decisive games. My prediction: 2x1 La U.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

professor muthafukkah posted:

Tonight there is São Paulo (BRA) x Universidad de Chile for Copa Sul-Americana quarter finals. Looks like its going to be a pretty promising game. "La U" is the defending champion while São Paulo desperately want to win this competition, not only to get a spot back in Libertadores, but also to cure the recent trophy drought. I cheer for São Paulo and honestly this is going to be a tough match for us. Our main goalscorer, Luis Fabiano, is injured, and despite having Lucas fit I don't really like relying on him too much, he seems to love to turn off in decisive games. My prediction: 2x1 La U.

La U are playing like spain with no strikers up front, and they lost :D Next years boys colo-colo will be back playing in international tourments :D

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Miguel Calero, the Colombian goalkeeper, has been declared brain dead after suffering a thrombosis, you may remember him as the guy who used to wear a baseball cap while playing.

Such a shame he was only 41.

Edit: they just unplugged him from the machine that was keeping him alive, RIP.

El Hefe fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Dec 4, 2012

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
In less depressing news, the first leg of the final of the Copa Sudamericana is being played right now between Tigre and Sao Paolo, they are playing in La Bombonera because I guess Tigre's stadium is too small.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

RIP Calero, that sucks.

Also haha already a red for an attempted aggression by Luis Fabiano and simulation or something by a Tigre player.

At 35 minutes this looks very much like it will end 0-0

Simone Poodoin fucked around with this message at 01:28 on Dec 6, 2012

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Since when does Sao Paulo play pointless tiki taka?

Also this will have at least one more red card, probably more.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
All SA cup finals are the same players always go crazy like this.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Even though Sao Paulo didn't look like much today I think Lucas Moura will be brilliant. Too bad he's going to PSG.

Weaponized Cum
Aug 31, 2004

This post brought to you by the finest Miami cocaine money can buy ----->
I wanted to post about Calero earlier but it's just so loving depressing. The guy used to frequent a restaurant I used to work at a couple years back and he was extremely polite, huge as gently caress too. RIP dude.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Was a pretty good year in the Campeonato. As usual, the results were all over the place and there was some unexpected stuff. Highlights of the year:

- Ronaldinho's mini-revival at Mineiro, along with Bernard becoming the next big thing
- Deco, Thiago Neves, and Wellington Nem turning Fred into the best striker in the league

Here's a highlight reel of some of the good goals from this season...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=40AZsqTJW34

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
River Plate's manager got fired and hired Ramon Diaz as his replacement.
Unsurprisingly , Boca jrs didn't renew Falcioni's contract so they are looking for a new manager before the year ends.
This guy is the current favourite to take Falcioni's job

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Will be interesting to see how he does since he hasn't managed in awhile. His Atletico Madrid side was pretty defensive.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

LOL

Tigre didn't come out for the second half in the Copa Sudamericana because Sau Paulo sent there security staff into their dressing room to teach them a lesson.

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1536357-le-apoyaron-un-arma-en-el-pecho-a-albil

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

dj_pain posted:

LOL

Tigre didn't come out for the second half in the Copa Sudamericana because Sau Paulo sent there security staff into their dressing room to teach them a lesson.

http://canchallena.lanacion.com.ar/1536357-le-apoyaron-un-arma-en-el-pecho-a-albil

Christ, CONMEBOL should severely fine Sao Paolo but of course they won't.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

El Hefe posted:

Christ, CONMEBOL should severely fine Sao Paolo but of course they won't.

Worst thing is brazilian media are reporting that tigres players wanted to fight with sao paolo. While Argentinian media are saying it's sao paolo security guards that came in. Either way this is really hosed up.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
They won't do poo poo, the CONMEBOL president was there giving SP the trophy.
It's weird that Sao Paulo used intimidation tactics when they had a superior squad and where winning the game easily.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
A pretty big black mark on CONMEBOL as a whole. They should replay the second leg at a neutral ground, but that's obviously asking too much.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Sorry for the double post.

FIFA had to come out with a statement after what happened to Tigre. They stated "no comment," with regard to what actually happened at the final but talked about Brazil 2014 instead...

quote:

"However, for the FIFA Confederations Cup and the FIFA World Cup there will be a comprehensive security concept for the stadiums in place developed by the local organising committee together with the respective authorities and reviewed by the FIFA security experts.

"The FIFA Confederations Cup will be the first football competition in Brazil to use mainly private stewards for safety and spectator services as it is already a standard procedure in many countries around the world.

"This is already a legacy as through this initiative more than 30,000 security officers will be trained and certified to work during the FIFA Confederations Cup and FIFA World Cup in Brazil. FIFA has full confidence in the security arrangements developed.''

Which is a chickenshit, albeit expected response. They should be telling CONMEBOL to get their poo poo together, but they don't want to make it some big public battle between FIFA and a confederation.

Here's another interview with Gorosito and Albil. Unbelievable stuff.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Every football federation in the world is corrupt and poo poo but FIFA takes the cake.

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Juninho leaving Vasco for New York. Always thought he was just going to retire in Rio. Kind of sad to see him go, but it didn't look like he was enjoying himself there most of the time. He'll get a good paycheck in NY and he'll be playing with Thierry Henry, at least.

professor muthafukkah
Feb 27, 2006

oh lord...
Yeah, ok, about São Paulo x Tigre. Tigre were getting absolutely dominated in every aspect, full house, 2x0 at half time. Ref blows the whistle and they try to start poo poo with São Paulo players who were just heading down into their locker room. Whatever, red cards are given, cops split them up and both teams go into their respective locker rooms. What happens next no one really knows since there were no cameras in there but basically (based on a bunch of different sources), there is a door in between both locker rooms and the Tigre players tried to break it down to fight São Paulo. There were security guards in São Paulo's locker room and once they broke through they fought with the security guards.

First they complained that they pulled guns on them, but São Paulo's guards are not allowed to carry guns, the CONMENBOL dudes that went down there saw no guns, the Federal Police which was also there confirmed there were no guns, and when the Argentinians went to a police station to file a report they retracted their statement about guns. Tigre are a bunch of whiny little babies that knew they were going to get raped in the 2nd half and the only solution they came up with was "lets gently caress poo poo up down here and not play the full 90 mins maybe they'll delay the game".

Seriously, this was the most ridiculous and unsportsmanlike conduct I have ever seen. Nothing is going to happen to São Paulo, while rumors were that Tigre might get a 5 year ban from international football.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

If that's accurate then gently caress Tigre forever, what a disgrace!

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/

Yeah, ok, about São Paulo x Tigre. Tigre were getting absolutely dominated in every aspect, full house, 2x0 at half time. Ref blows the whistle and they try to start poo poo with São Paulo players who were just heading down into their locker room. Whatever, red cards are given, cops split them up and both teams go into their respective locker rooms. What happens next no one really knows since there were no cameras in there but basically (based on a bunch of different sources), there is a door in between both locker rooms and the Tigre players tried to break it down to fight São Paulo. There were security guards in São Paulo's locker room and once they broke through they fought with the security guards.

First they complained that they pulled guns on them, but São Paulo's guards are not allowed to carry guns, the CONMENBOL dudes that went down there saw no guns, the Federal Police which was also there confirmed there were no guns, and when the Argentinians went to a police station to file a report they retracted their statement about guns. Tigre are a bunch of whiny little babies that knew they were going to get raped in the 2nd half and the only solution they came up with was "lets gently caress poo poo up down here and not play the full 90 mins maybe they'll delay the game".

Seriously, this was the most ridiculous and unsportsmanlike conduct I have ever seen. Nothing is going to happen to São Paulo, while rumors were that Tigre might get a 5 year ban from international football.

Now that's what you expect from South American football.

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Welcome to south american football.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
These are the (sponsor)Libertadores 2013 groups:

Grupo 1: Boca Juniors (Argentina) , Barcelona (Ecuador), Nacional (Uruguay) y Toluca (México).

Grupo 2: Sporting Cristal (Perú), Libertad (Paraguay), Palmeiras (Brasil) y Ganador 1 (Tigre de Argentina o Anzoátegui de Venezuela).

Grupo 3: Arsenal (Argentina), Strongest (Bolivia), Atlético Mineiro (Brasil) y Ganador 5 (San Pablo de Brasil o Bolívar de Bolivia)

Grupo 4: Vélez Sarsfield (Argentina), Peñarol (Uruguay), Emelec (Ecuador) y Ganador 6 (Deportes Iquique de Chile o León de México).

Grupo 5: Corinthians (Brasil), San José Oruro (Bolivia), Millonarios (Colombia) y Tijuana (México).

Grupo 6: Independiente Santa Fe (Colombia), Cerro Porteño (Paraguay), Real Garcilaso (Perú) y el Ganador 3 (Deportes Tolima de Colombia o César Vallejo de Perú).

Grupo 7: Newells (Argentina) , Deportivo Lara (Venezuela), Universidad de Chile y Ganador 4 (Olimpia de Paraguay o Defensor Sporting de Uruguay).

Grupo 8: Fluminense (Brasil), Huachipato (Chile), Caracas (Venezuela) y Ganador 2 (Gremio de Brasil o Liga de Quito de Ecuador).

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
What happened to Santos? Why aren't they in the Libertadores?

Vinestalk
Jul 2, 2011
Can't wait for this.

Gremio against Liga de Quito will be an interesting qualifying game. Bolivar against Sao Paulo could be a good watch, as well.

Some new clubs in the competition, too. First time appearances for Garcilaso and Lara. First appearance for Huachipato since 1975.

Don't really expect much from Boca. Lost Riquelme, Mouche, and the loan deal on Cvitanich ran out. Several of the games from last Libertadores, they barely scraped out with wins. But maybe Bianchi can work some magic.

Really looking forward to seeing how Fluminense does this year. If Fred manages to maintain his form and that midfield stays together, hard to imagine them not going deep into the competition.

Edit: Santos finished mid-table. They didn't qualify for Libertadores this year. Palmeiras got the Copa do Brasil spot. Corinthians got in by grace of winning last years' competition. Flu and Mineiro got the automatic spots. Sao Paulo and Gremio got the qualification spots.

Vinestalk fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Dec 21, 2012

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
La Libertadores always bring fun games and lots of drama. The first round will be played between the last week of January and the first of February with the group stage starting the week after that.

There's a chance that Riquelme comes back to play for Boca but only for the cup and the club is trying to get Burrito Martinez from Corinthians or bring back Mouche from Turkey.

Velez will win their group and will look like they are going to win it all only to loose in the quarter finals.

San Pablo got lucky because the argentinian club in their group is known for not having fans so nobody will care when they play in Buenos Aires.

hello i am phone fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Dec 22, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dj_pain
Mar 28, 2005

Lets talk South American Youth Championship. (Under 20)
It's currently being played out of Mendoza and San Juan Argentina.

All the countries are split into two groups with the top three teams going through into another group where the winner will be decided.
We've already had some games played so I'll try to post videos of every game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmMwzA8n_R4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wx2ffBizpLQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ3T08_baYY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0a_8gIthOi0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oCw4gSaaPcs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEgIMpEuf7w

Why should I care about this?
Because kids are cocky and try to do some of the most insane things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEgIMpEuf7w

I'll try to keep this thread updated. Also sorry for all the videos.