Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.
Hey Magres, if you want to co-op get in the chat. Steam won't let me message you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scamtank
Feb 24, 2011

my desire to just be a FUCKING IDIOT all day long is rapidly overtaking my ability to FUNCTION

i suspect that means i'm MENTALLY ILL

So I found a Black Knight longsword on my Deprived strength build duder and eh uh I think I broke the game. Nothing else even comes close at this point (just before Depths).

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I think you mean Black Knight Greatsword :v:

The Black Knight weapons are definitely pretty great and can take you through the game, especially if you pick one up in your first playthrough. However, when you can get 40 Str and a good Str Scaling weapon, you might find glory in other forms of brutality, such as beating dudes down with an oversized log (that you can set on fire)

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Got this game gifted for me, and I'm enjoying having my rear end kicked. I'm having some frustrating performance issues, though. I have DS fix installed and I've put the graphical settings in the ini to low to medium, but I'm still experiencing a good amount of graphical stuttering. I have a Radeon 7700 installed and I can run games like Dishonored and Borderlands 2 on high settings with little problems, so is Dark Souls really that graphically intensive? Or is there something I may need to adjust with my card settings?

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

So I gave PvP an honest attempt by joining the catbros this time. Literally every fight I didn't win ended with the either me getting backstabbed with my shield up or having him walk right through me and getting backstabbed.

I posted about this a while ago but I don't know how people that PvP deal with such rampant latency. :psyduck:

In other news, the Flamberge is pretty nifty.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

PunkBoy posted:

Got this game gifted for me, and I'm enjoying having my rear end kicked. I'm having some frustrating performance issues, though. I have DS fix installed and I've put the graphical settings in the ini to low to medium, but I'm still experiencing a good amount of graphical stuttering. I have a Radeon 7700 installed and I can run games like Dishonored and Borderlands 2 on high settings with little problems, so is Dark Souls really that graphically intensive? Or is there something I may need to adjust with my card settings?

The game is just a horribly shoddy port. It's optimized for PS3 and 360 which means it runs abysmally awful on PC, which is only kind of From's fault. They admitted right from the get-go that it wasn't going to be very good because they've never worked with PC stuff and porting before, and they were right. Performance is spotty across the board. A lot of people are running the game without a hitch, while others like me can barely even get the drat thing working without jumping through a million hoops while using DSFix and hopping on one foot while praying to the dark lord satan or something.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

CJacobs posted:

The game is just a horribly shoddy port. It's optimized for PS3 and 360 which means it runs abysmally awful on PC, which is only kind of From's fault. They admitted right from the get-go that it wasn't going to be very good because they've never worked with PC stuff and porting before, and they were right. Performance is spotty across the board. A lot of people are running the game without a hitch, while others like me can barely even get the drat thing working without jumping through a million hoops while using DSFix and hopping on one foot while praying to the dark lord satan or something.

Okay so it's not just me. Well I'll just fool around with the settings and hopefully get things running decently. I'm having a blast otherwise. Not sure what the hell I'm doing but I guess that's half the fun.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

PunkBoy posted:

It has more to do with your CPU honestly.

In the port's defense it seems like people with really severe performance issues out of nowhere are in the minority, but even then the game should run better than it does with the framerate unlocked. I can't see any reason why I shouldn't have 60 FPS all the time, but I clearly don't.

Also, I'm rocking the Hand Axe in my SL1 run. You can't gently caress with the hand axe.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you haven't yet, turn off ingame AA it ruins everything forever. And motion blur if you can stand to live without it.

Also, one thing I find strange that I asked earlier but was never answered: Why does removing the game's DOF via DSFix decrease performance? Removing a postprocessing effect like that in any other game does nothing but make it run better but somehow Dark Souls finds a way to make things even worse. Is it just because of the way DSFix gets rid of it?

EDIT: Is there a way to actually disable vsync? That seems to be the difference between lovely performance and normal performance in a lot of games on my computer, and even forcing it off GLOBALLY in ATI's control center thing doesn't turn it off. DSFix has an option for it but it isn't enabled for use yet which sucks. Unless it already IS off and I just can't tell. This game is a mystery wrapped in an enigma smothered in a blanket of awful programming.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 5, 2012

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

fennesz posted:

So I gave PvP an honest attempt by joining the catbros this time. Literally every fight I didn't win ended with the either me getting backstabbed with my shield up or having him walk right through me and getting backstabbed.

I posted about this a while ago but I don't know how people that PvP deal with such rampant latency. :psyduck:

Try watching this and part 2, maybe also his other PvP instructional videos. In my experience the things caused by lag are strange, but they are consistent even between being the host and client and as such can be played around like any other system. Watching these videos gave me a huge boost in my understanding of how poo poo happens and they'll probably help you.

fennesz
Dec 29, 2008

Mystic Cave zOWNd posted:

Try watching this and part 2, maybe also his other PvP instructional videos. In my experience the things caused by lag are strange, but they are consistent even between being the host and client and as such can be played around like any other system. Watching these videos gave me a huge boost in my understanding of how poo poo happens and they'll probably help you.

Things make a bit more sense, the sad thing is I knew most of that. I'm not just used to dealing with latency so when someone sprints to me for a backstab, by the time I roll out of the way they're already backstabbing me.

redmercer
Sep 15, 2011

by Fistgrrl
I really do hope the next Souls game has better anti-cheat. And if it detects a pirated version, you should kill everything in one hit, take damage from nothing and bounce right the gently caress back up from any fall.

Mystic Cave zOWNd
Dec 22, 2006

Trixie bravely turned her tail and fled

And there was much rejoicing.

fennesz posted:

Things make a bit more sense, the sad thing is I knew most of that. I'm not just used to dealing with latency so when someone sprints to me for a backstab, by the time I roll out of the way they're already backstabbing me.

This might seem counter-intuitive, but rolling away from a (non-chained) backstab will rarely do you any favours. Your most reliable bet is to just back off while retaining lock if you suspect a backstab attempt. Countering a locked backstab as described in the second video is surprisingly easy as well, if you can identify what your opponent is going to attempt. A pivot can be countered by breaking lock and swinging behind you (and is awesome if you have a big weapon).

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!
So picking this game up again after putting it down a while ago, and think I'm going to play a tank since I rarely play one in games. Is there an agreed-upon/standard tank build? Is it just pumping endurance all game long to use heavy armor or is resistance actually useful? Is this even a fun way to play, or am I going to be stuck doing poo poo damage all game long while not being enough of a tank to actually matter?

Just looking for something fun to do besides my usual shield/spear build.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

VDay posted:

So picking this game up again after putting it down a while ago, and think I'm going to play a tank since I rarely play one in games. Is there an agreed-upon/standard tank build? Is it just pumping endurance all game long to use heavy armor or is resistance actually useful? Is this even a fun way to play, or am I going to be stuck doing poo poo damage all game long while not being enough of a tank to actually matter?

Resistance is worthless. Assuming this is all for PvE, any build is going to be viable, but I'd aim for 40 endurance, 35-50 strength(35 for greatshield of artorias, 50 if you want Havel's shield) and as much vitality as you can get. If you want faith or a pyro hand I'd get just enough attunement for 2 slots.

I've played a couple of tanks and I had a lot of fun each time. Once you get the Greatshield of Artorias it gets a little silly in boss fights, though.

Also, this is pretty obvious but make sure to get Havel's Ring.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Okay, I have to point this out. FROM's priorities are... peculiar.

You guys know by now that the game pretty much doesn't perform validity checks on invaders and summons, right?

Well, it actually does... but on only a select set of phantom types.

Let me first list the types of phantoms where zero validity checks are performed.

Invading White/Gold Phantom
Darkwraith
Forest Hunter
Battle of Stoicism

Now let me list the types of phantoms where validity checks are performed.

Darkmoon Spirit of Vengeance (checks for target sin and if you are a Darkmoon, if either condition is unfulfilled you're disconnected)
Gravelord Spirit of Vengeance (checks if target is a Gravelord, if not you get disconnected)
Dragon Spirit that walks the Path of the Dragon (Checks if you are a Dragonbro. If not, you get disconnected)

Notice something? Out of all the original phantom types, the covenants that are arguably anti-rear end in a top hat or completely nice are the only ones that have validity checks!

Also, that last one on the no validity check list is totally true. You can't be indicted if you use it either. And you can Estus just fine.

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 6, 2012

KaneTW
Dec 2, 2011

Invading as Battle of Stoicism phantom everyday now.

Or white phantom works too.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Now, to be fair there IS a glitch with Battle of Stoicism.

Namely that you have to homeward bone out when you off the target, as it doesn't automatically transfer you back.

Other than that though? Straight-up better than invading as a darkwraith.

(And before you ask, yes I asked everyone I invaded with this as I was testing if I could kill them for testing purposes.)

Tallgeese fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Dec 5, 2012

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

VDay posted:

Spear and shield? What a big brave warrior you are, cowering behind a piece of wood or metal and gently poking your opponents from a distance when they're vulnerable

Real warriors use a catalyst with zero attunement slots

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

VDay posted:

Become warrior of sunlight. Stand in front of danger.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

scamtank posted:

So I found a Black Knight longsword on my Deprived strength build duder and eh uh I think I broke the game. Nothing else even comes close at this point (just before Depths).

As a guy who ended up with the exact same amount of luck I recommend grabbing a Gravelord sword when you get bored of it.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Gravelord Sword is interesting just because it has more range than it seems to. People walk into the thrust thinking they're out of range.

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Battle of Stoicism invasion also apparently gives you no warning about it. If the target dies from a fall you get beamed home though.

Slate Action
Feb 13, 2012

by exmarx
N: Just got the Greatshield of Artorias.

V: gently caress yeah.

Of course, I'm going to have to pump up my Endurance if I want to also wear decent armor and not be super slow...

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

FrickenMoron posted:

Battle of Stoicism invasion also apparently gives you no warning about it. If the target dies from a fall you get beamed home though.

You get beamed home if they fall but not if you land the killing blow?

How... peculiar. And oddly specific.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

VDay posted:

Wear the heaviest armor you can find. Wield the biggest weapon you can find two-handed. Wear the Wolf Ring and use Iron Skin Pyromancy.

Stand and Deliver. Don't roll, don't dodge, just trade blows like a real man.

Sarkozymandias
May 25, 2010

THAT'S SYOUS D'RAVEN

There is a set of armor called Havel's. That is your skin.

Balobam
Apr 28, 2012

Since the tank build is one of my favourites I'll just throw out my personal favourite, just tank up your END/STR and wear the Black Iron Set, using the Black Iron Greatshield with whatever big weapon you can grab your hands on.

Generally grab something a BK drops, if you're lucky the BKGA, then when you get to Demon Ruins farm the chaps down there until you get a Demon Greataxe, which fully upgraded is the strongest STR weapon, having decent damage and S scaling, until then the Demon Great Machete, which is also awesome.

Basically just tank up and try to maintain a <50% equip load so if you're facing off against a magic user you can dodge attacks.

Also the Golem's armour is great, too.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Do people like the Moonlight Butterfly Horn for somewhat Int-heavy characters? I'm trying to decide which thing to make with the boss soul. My primary weapons right now are Quelaag's Furysword +5 and Zweihander +10.

Spooky Bear Ghost
Sep 17, 2010

lets get spooky

Thundercracker posted:

Wear the heaviest armor you can find. Wield the biggest weapon you can find two-handed. Wear the Wolf Ring and use Iron Skin Pyromancy.

Stand and Deliver. Don't roll, don't dodge, just trade blows like a real man.

How does iron skin work with Backstabs? Does it mitigate a reasonable amount of damage? If so its time to big smash with havel :getin:

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009

Paracelsus posted:

Do people like the Moonlight Butterfly Horn for somewhat Int-heavy characters? I'm trying to decide which thing to make with the boss soul. My primary weapons right now are Quelaag's Furysword +5 and Zweihander +10.

It's quite good if you invested really heavily into int. It does pure magic damage instead of split damage like the enchanted or magic weapons and it has more range than the moonlight greatsword. One cool way to get it is to downgrade the lightning spear from sen's and use the butterfly soul on it.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
Butterfly Horn is a decent weapon, but it has one fatal flaw: it is not the Channeler's Trident.

tractor fanatic
Sep 9, 2005

Pillbug
Turns out a lefty build kinda owns. Murakumo in the left hand, and a shield in the right, and you can kick people while you block to stun them, and then smash them with the Murakumo.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Do you guys know of any way to pull a particular character out of my DS saves and move it around/reintegrate it? I have a character on my laptop that I'd like to move to my PC, but without losing my PC saves. As far as I can tell I just have one big file with all my characters in it.

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Special weapon ascension can only be done by the Giant Blacksmith, is that right?

My spiderbro just doesn't feel right without a Quelaag's Furysword.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Is there a decent place to farm souls at around level 66? I'm hanging around the Duke's Archives and just repeatedly killing those blue medusa things which are super easy to kill. I get around 11K souls per run and occasionally a humanity or two.

I want to get my pyro glove to +5 ascended asap and get some neat spells.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Dec 6, 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Mazed posted:

Special weapon ascension can only be done by the Giant Blacksmith, is that right?

My spiderbro just doesn't feel right without a Quelaag's Furysword.

Giant is the only one who can do boss weapons, yep.

GoldenNugget posted:

Is there a decent place to farm souls at around level 66? I'm hanging around the Duke's Archives and just repeatedly killing those [spoiler]blue medusa things which are super easy to kill.[/spoilers] I get around 11K souls per run and occasionally a humanity or two.

I want to get my pyro glove to +5 ascended asap and get some neat spells.

Painted World.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
The Pisacas(medusa things) aren't too bad for souls but the Phalanx in the Painted World is king if you simply must grind for souls.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009
Echoing that farming the phalanx in the painted world is one of the best farming spots around. Especially if you have to access to wrath of god, one of the fire storms or at least a weapon with a wide swing such as a zwei, BKGS, scythe, etc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
Put my sign down, went afk, came back just as my host was killing the second gargoyle. :suicide:

edit: By the way, no ports forwarded, weird work wifi network, gettin summoned every couple of minutes by the gargoyles at level 16. There's a wait but I'm just tabbing out in between.

Fergus Mac Roich fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Dec 6, 2012

• Locked thread