Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ximum posted:

I think Miike wanted to remake Dog Day Afternoon and also had a script about two young criminal lovers, but the only way he could get funding was through Sega, who wanted him to make a Ryu ga Gotoku movie.

Doubtful, considering Miike is one of the most popular and insanely prolific/respected/successful directors in Japan. In fact, he's probably the #1 director, just look at his filmography sometime and how huge and varied it is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rupturefunk
Jan 25, 2012
Need a PS3. The first two are some of my all time greats.

If spending all your hard earned cash on a handbag for a hostess that she doesn't end up liking isn't one of gaming's finest moments then I'm going to take up fishing instead.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

rupturefunk posted:

If spending all your hard earned cash on a handbag for a hostess that she doesn't end up liking isn't one of gaming's finest moments then I'm going to take up fishing instead.
In the game, I should hope.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I still can't log in to my Play Asia account despite their assurances I should be able to, but they sent me an email today informing me Yakuza 5 has shipped. :woop:

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
Here is 17 minutes of gameplay from 4Gamer. Watch Kiryu do a strange dance at 13:00, intense air-hockey action at 13:40, a version of Boxcelios that looks kind of like Super Stardust at 14:30, and side-scrolling virtual fights at around 15:00.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95YmFjT1ll0

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe
Is there an option to play the Yakuza games in Japanese? I've been watching the Yakuza 5 demo from a couple of pages back and find myself wanting to play it in its original language for some exposure to gaming-related vocabulary. I have yet to crack the seal on my copy of Yakuza 4 so I haven't had a chance to find out for myself if it's a common feature when it makes its way to the US :sweatdrop:

MykonosFan
Sep 9, 2012

Hows my homies training
going? Whaa? Hey! What
are you doing Ronald?

How is saving handled in Yakuza 5? It's kind of a drag running around to get to a save point in 4 but nothing I couldn't deal with again.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Karthe posted:

Is there an option to play the Yakuza games in Japanese? I've been watching the Yakuza 5 demo from a couple of pages back and find myself wanting to play it in its original language for some exposure to gaming-related vocabulary. I have yet to crack the seal on my copy of Yakuza 4 so I haven't had a chance to find out for myself if it's a common feature when it makes its way to the US :sweatdrop:

Unless you're talking about subtitles, all Yakuza games after 1 were just released in Japanese with English subtitles. If you are talking about subtitles, then I have no idea.

IAmKale
Jun 7, 2007

やらないか

Fun Shoe

SpacePig posted:

Unless you're talking about subtitles, all Yakuza games after 1 were just released in Japanese with English subtitles. If you are talking about subtitles, then I have no idea.
Ah, then yeah, my question was with respect to on-screen text. Does anyone else know if the Yakuza games come with Japanese subtitles and UI text?

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

Yechezkel posted:

Here is 17 minutes of gameplay from 4Gamer. Watch Kiryu do a strange dance at 13:00, intense air-hockey action at 13:40, a version of Boxcelios that looks kind of like Super Stardust at 14:30, and side-scrolling virtual fights at around 15:00.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95YmFjT1ll0

Sega :argh: I wanted to watch that!

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

KingShiro posted:

Sega :argh: I wanted to watch that!

Why would Sega not allow people to watch (what's basically)an ad for their game? Isnt it free advertising?

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009

Karthe posted:

Ah, then yeah, my question was with respect to on-screen text. Does anyone else know if the Yakuza games come with Japanese subtitles and UI text?
No, it doesn't. However, you can try the Japanese demos for a taste of what its like to play the game in full Japanese.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Yechezkel posted:

Watch Kiryu do a strange dance at 13:00,

OUENDAN! OSU! OSU! OSU!

... was all I could think off when watching that.

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!
That dance tells me in the next game Kiryu will be an air traffic controller.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

KingShiro posted:

That dance tells me in the next game Kiryu will be an air traffic controller.

I'd play it.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
pre:

CONTROL
Kamuro Air 893, hazard on the runway, pull up! Kiryu, you've got to save them!

CUT to TOP OF CONTROL TOWER, with KIRYU in a hang glider.

KIRYU
On it.

KIRYU jumps off the tower and performs a glide kick that makes Batman look like a
Buzz Lightyear in the first Toy Story into the plane, knocking it out of the hazard's path.
As he's falling 100 feet to the ground, the emergency door is kicked open and MAJIMA jumps out with a bungee cord, catching KIRYU inches from the ground.

KIRYU
I always knew you'd be the one to take the fall for me.

MAJIMA
Don't flatter yourself, Kazzy, our love can never be.

FADE TO BLACK.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Captain Walker posted:

pre:
CONTROL
Kamuro Air 893, hazard on the runway, pull up! Kiryu, you've got to save them!

CUT to TOP OF CONTROL TOWER, with KIRYU in a hang glider.

KIRYU
On it.

KIRYU jumps off the tower and performs a glide kick that makes Batman look like a
Buzz Lightyear in the first Toy Story into the plane, knocking it out of the hazard's path.
As he's falling 100 feet to the ground, the emergency door is kicked open and MAJIMA jumps out with a bungee cord, catching KIRYU inches from the ground.

KIRYU
I always knew you'd be the one to take the fall for me.

MAJIMA
Don't flatter yourself, Kazzy, our love can never be.

FADE TO BLACK.

I don't know if I wanna see that HEAT action.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
I'm sure it would be treated with the same legendary utter lack of respect that the franchise has always had for homosexual men.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I don't remember any gay men in Yakuza, just drag queens. There weren't even any prison rape jokes in 4.

e: And the drag queens were treated with respect, especially by Akiyama, IIRC.

Honest Thief
Jan 11, 2009
There was that infamous chase event in Yakuza 3, "that was worse than anything in prison!"

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
Yeah, that and diaper men.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

precision posted:

I don't remember any gay men in Yakuza, just drag queens. There weren't even any prison rape jokes in 4.

e: And the drag queens were treated with respect, especially by Akiyama, IIRC.

Well, there was the time Akiyama laughed at Hana being worried she'd be raped because who would rape a fat girl? Hahaha!

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Crappy Jack posted:

Well, there was the time Akiyama laughed at Hana being worried she'd be raped because who would rape a fat girl? Hahaha!

I think that was actually a build up to the later revelation that Hana kicks total rear end, but maybe I'm giving the writers too much credit.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Crappy Jack posted:

What does that have to do with gay men? :confused:

Also I think/hope it was a bad translation or something. Either that or, well, Japan.

Finding out that she totally can kick rear end like Kiryu was awesome.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

precision posted:

Also I think/hope it was a bad translation or something. Either that or, well, Japan.
If you mean Akiyama's comment to Hana then no, its not a translation issue. However I think they intended it to have a double meaning, since Hana could also kick the poo poo out of anyone who would try it.

Anyway Japan is still sexist as hell and homophobic as hell, I liken it to America in the mid 70s or so.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I was under the impression sizable portions of America were still largely homophobic as hell too. :colbert:

Also, has anyone gotten the game yet? I think my copy is still somewhere over one of the oceans.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Japan also has weird things like how it's totally normal for teenage girls to have lesbian or quasi-lesbian relationships.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Bocc Kob posted:

I was under the impression sizable portions of America were still largely homophobic as hell too. :colbert:
Yeah but as far as I can tell, homophobes and sexists in the US largely know that they are on the way out (which is where the back-to-the-wall screaming vitriol comes from). Japanese homophobes and sexists still seem confident that they are in the majority.

precision posted:

Japan also has weird things like how it's totally normal for teenage girls to have lesbian or quasi-lesbian relationships.
I hadn't noticed that...

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Samurai Sanders posted:

I hadn't noticed that...

Really? I thought it was common knowledge. The people I know from Japan (mostly girls) talked about it, and it was in a book I read a decade or so ago on Japanese attitudes toward sex. Lemme see if I can find the name of it...

Still looking for the exact book I read, but I found this:

quote:

The book Dimensions of Japanese Society: Gender, Margins and Mainstream, 1999, says that "Male homosexuality has continued to be widely accepted in Japan through to the present," but female homosexuality has been less open then men's. It also adds that an androgynous look in clothing has become quite popular.

From the book Queer Japan from the Pacific War to the Internet Age (2005):

"During the Edo Period there was no necessary connection made between gender and sexual preference, because men, samurai in particular, were able to engage in both same- and opposite-sex affairs. Same-sex relationships were governed by a code of ethics described as nanshoku (male eroticism) or shudo (the way of youths), in the context of which elite men were able to pursue boys and young men who had not yet undergone their coming-of-age ceremonies, as well as transgender males of all ages from the lower classes who worked as actors and prostitutes...The latter group included onnagata, or female-role players, from the kabuki theater as well as kagema, or transgender prostitutes."

Here's another interesting page on the subject:

http://www2.hu-berlin.de/sexology/IES/japan.html#6

I'll try and find the book I read. I remember one line of it had an interview with a Japanese teen girl who said "I only change my panties when they become crusty." :stare:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Well, I've heard plenty of Japan's traditions of male homosexuality but nothing about female. In retrospect that may have just been because men write the history books.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Ugh, there is a very very very long Saejima section (upwards of 5 hours) before you get access to a club/mahjong parlor. Don't get me wrong, the plot is really really amazing, but I sort of want to hit on somebody in the game right now.

Bocc Kob
Oct 26, 2010
I don't know if I can handle that much Saejima at once. :ohdear:

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Bocc Kob posted:

I don't know if I can handle that much Saejima at once. :ohdear:

GO HOME AND BE A FAMILY MAN!

...sorry, wrong franchise.

The Macaroni
Dec 20, 2002
...it does nothing.
As long as it's not like the 2-hour Saejima intro in Yakuza 4, featuring two tough boss battles and zero save points!

Yechezkel
Oct 5, 2004

Fun Shoe
A bunch of DLC costumes are coming.
"Mad Dog" Saejima is the best. Also, why is Haruka allowed in bars? :raise:

Some videos from the game are making the rounds:

Revelation for Kiryu He's still blogging on a flip phone. :cmon:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M0KFoPY_M4c

Saejima singing karaoke I think he is drunk in the second song.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=68RCJDQ0i7I

Revelation for Haruka and Saejima
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M_YR_73KddI

3 comedy routines with Haruka and a comedian Nothing funny unless you understand Japanese here.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9RCT1rvP9CY

Yechezkel fucked around with this message at 23:05 on Dec 11, 2012

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Flip phones die hard in Japan, there are constant jokes over there about how the rest of the world has moved on but Japan still clings to those things.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Hahaha what in the everloving gently caress, Saejima.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
I'm more sad that Saejima took up conventional blogging, instead of blog via wood carving.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Awww, he's not carving his revelations into logs anymore. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KingShiro
Jan 10, 2008

EH?!?!?!

All I could think of is Downtown (oh man if they were special guest judges)

• Locked thread