Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I think it's less that Persona 4 Golden is easier than the original than it just cut out a lot of the bullshit artificial difficulty. It's dumb that you could previously lose hours of progress because an enemy got off a lucky shot on your MC. And, sorry to say, but the Devil Survivor fusion system should be a permanent aspect in this franchise and that's all there is to say on the matter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Troffen
Aug 17, 2010

One other thing is how the game throws treasure hands at you constantly, and they give you metric craptons of experience. They make it pretty easy to get overleveled, but they're also probably the only thing that makes Very Hard mode bearable.

I think the changes are good ones for the most part since they cut out a lot of the more tedious stuff, but they also serve to highlight how rear end-backwards the difficulty curves are in these games.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I picked the copy of Nocturne I'd seen at my Gamestop for a fiver, based on the recommendations. Dead on the fourth fight. Whelp. Was I doing something wrong, or did that fairy do nothing while I got pummeled?

The aesthetic owns though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pomp posted:

I picked the copy of Nocturne I'd seen at my Gamestop for a fiver, based on the recommendations. Dead on the fourth fight. Whelp. Was I doing something wrong, or did that fairy do nothing while I got pummeled?

The aesthetic owns though.

SMT: Nocturne is hard. One of the hardest RPG's I've ever played. You'll need to learn to abuse the hell out of Press-Turns with elemental weaknesses. And remember to play on Normal: It is not kidding about Hard Mode.

edit:VVVVV

This too. Get as many different demon types to join you and fuse the hell out of them. It is never a bad idea to fuse new demons from the ones you have. Just remember to vary their weaknesses and elemental strengths. A party that's focused on a single element will die very quickly.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Dec 6, 2012

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Talk to the demons, especially near the new moon. You can often con them out of items or into fighting for you. That's pretty much half the game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Take this with a grain of salt because I haven't played it, but everything about the Vita version of the game makes it seem like it's substantially less challenging than the original, which already wasn't a super hard game or anything. If the person is specifically seeking a challenge, then maybe P4 Golden isn't the best game to play. You can up the game's difficulty, but doing so doesn't change any of the things that make it easier, and only adds to the enemy's health and damage, only serving to make the fights take longer.

The game gives you more chances to break it, but if you're not grinding golden hands in between dungeons or getting lucky with shuffle time/random skill change to get overpowered skills early on it's challenging even on normal. I played P4 once already and I had a very tough time in Golden until I leveled from 48-60 in one dungeon trip.

The changes they've made feel like FF5 to me. The game is still challenging if you don't know what you're doing, but if you do you can turn yourself into a mini-god which some people really like in their RPGs.

Anyway Hard Mode makes you get less experience, less gold, and on top of that even if you grind to get to the same level as Normal you'll do less damage and take more. If you're really worried about an easy game you can play on that.

THE AWESOME GHOST fucked around with this message at 07:35 on Dec 6, 2012

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Neddy Seagoon posted:

SMT: Nocturne is hard. One of the hardest RPG's I've ever played. You'll need to learn to abuse the hell out of Press-Turns with elemental weaknesses. And remember to play on Normal: It is not kidding about Hard Mode.

edit:VVVVV

This too. Get as many different demon types to join you and fuse the hell out of them. It is never a bad idea to fuse new demons from the ones you have. Just remember to vary their weaknesses and elemental strengths. A party that's focused on a single element will die very quickly.
The apocalypse just happened, attack was my only option! It just seeemed odd to me that the fairy just let me try to solo three of those short wang demons.

e:must have been a bug. She actually did poo poo this time.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 6, 2012

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

The game gives you more chances to break it, but if you're not grinding golden hands in between dungeons or getting lucky with shuffle time/random skill change to get overpowered skills early on it's challenging even on normal. I played P4 once already and I had a very tough time in Golden until I leveled from 48-60 in one dungeon trip.

I disagree. In my experience, doing absolutely no excess grinding (except one trip to the castle again fairly early on because I needed a few thousand yen to pay for an SP heal), I got overlevel very quickly. I didn't go out of my way to grind on Golden Hands, I just killed them when I ran into them.

That was enough to be level 87 against the boss of the December dungeon and to make the True End final boss absolutely trivial.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Pomp posted:

The apocalypse just happened, attack was my only option! It just seeemed odd to me that the fairy just let me try to solo three of those short wang demons.
Oh, that reminds me; Keep the fairy and don't let her leave. Even if it's just something you've fused her into, keep that demon in your party. It'll pay off much later in the game in a sidequest. You won't be able to talk to the demon type the blobs are part of (from memory, they just growl and burble nonsense), but the little floaty green guys know Force-type spells and are fair game for recruitment.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

The phase of the... Was it the sun or the moon in Nocturne? Anyway, the phase of whatever it is (which should be listed on your HUD somewhere) can affect how demons react to you talking to them. And some other things, I think.

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

Zereth posted:

The phase of the... Was it the sun or the moon in Nocturne? Anyway, the phase of whatever it is (which should be listed on your HUD somewhere) can affect how demons react to you talking to them. And some other things, I think.

It's Kagutsuchi in Nocturne, the Sun (or Solar Noise, I guess) in DDS, and Moon in pretty much everything else that uses the system.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
I feel like I've played pretty much every NDS RPG out there and I'm looking for a fix. I've played the SMT games, the Etrian Odyssey series, Radiant Historia, the main ones people recommend. Are there any that are off the beaten path I may have missed somewhere along the way? I haven't tried Pokemon since Diamond/Pearl - has that evolved any since then?

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Levantine posted:

I feel like I've played pretty much every NDS RPG out there and I'm looking for a fix. I've played the SMT games, the Etrian Odyssey series, Radiant Historia, the main ones people recommend. Are there any that are off the beaten path I may have missed somewhere along the way? I haven't tried Pokemon since Diamond/Pearl - has that evolved any since then?

I'm assuming that The World Ends With You was just not listed here? That's a great one.
I had a lot of fun with Dragon Quest Monster: Joker, and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is a must.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

I'm assuming that The World Ends With You was just not listed here? That's a great one.
I had a lot of fun with Dragon Quest Monster: Joker, and Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story is a must.

I haven't played The World Ends With You. I didn't like the aesthetic at a glance - what's cool about it?

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
The gameplay is crazy addicting. I had to really struggle to progress the story, and it wasn't because it wasn't good (though Neku is a very laborious main character). I'd just spend hours doing all kinds of crazy poo poo with my pins. The music is also quite nice, and I grew to really like the style. I think it's the only game where Tetsuya Nomura's character designs actually work.

I'd say TWEWY is my favorite DS game.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(

Levantine posted:

I haven't played The World Ends With You. I didn't like the aesthetic at a glance - what's cool about it?

The gameplay is totally unique, absolutely nothing else like it. I thought the story was pretty fun too. You could look up some gameplay videos to see if it's interesting, and apparently the iOS port was pretty good.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Levantine posted:

The gameplay can be frustrating and overly frantic at times but it's very unique and getting into the rythm and flow can be highly addictive. The story is pretty bad anime stuff but never nauseatingly so.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

Levantine posted:

TWEWY also has by far the best handling of dynamic difficulty I've seen in a game. You have the option of handicapping yourself by playing at a level below your current one, and that gets you better drops. But since the bonus gets better the more levels you go down, it still feels like progression whenever you gain a level. Really clever and allowed me to still enjoy the game with a challenge despite "grinding" a bunch by screwing around with the battle system.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Ok I'll give that a shot. I had some idea about the game based on nothing but screenshots, really but it sounds like its worth revisiting.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

The story and characters of TWEWY start off super annoying but get a lot better as it goes on, there's a reason they start off as assholes.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009
I'd like an RPG that allows me to improve characters in a hundred ways and min/max for a million years. Something like Disgaea, but preferrably without the boring combat.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

The story and characters of TWEWY start off super annoying but get a lot better as it goes on, there's a reason they start off as assholes.

The arcs in general are really well done, for a game. The protagonist, for instance, I couldn't stand at first but by the end of it I was rooting for him. There's some light symbolism surrounding him that's fairly effective too.

Pomp fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 10, 2012

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

a medical mystery posted:

The gameplay can be frustrating and overly frantic at times but it's very unique and getting into the rythm and flow can be highly addictive. The story is pretty bad anime stuff but never nauseatingly so.

I'm not good at rhythm and flow, so I'd only end up playing for the story. However you say the story is awful and I think it looks aesthetically lovely so I don't think I'll ever touch the game.

Now for DS rpg games, Infinite Space is fan loving tastic.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I liked the story of TWEWY well enough, it's just that it was a distant second in terms of enjoyment to the gameplay.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Nate RFB posted:

I liked the story of TWEWY well enough, it's just that it was a distant second in terms of enjoyment to the gameplay.

I like it so far, the gameplay is pretty fast paced and dynamic. I'm not in love with the stylus controls but I think I can get used to them. Neku seems really annoying so far but I'm sure that's a plot point somewhere along the way.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Sorry for the double post but I just saw this: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/6pput9/crimson-shroud-launch-trailer

I hadn't realized Crimson Shroud was coming out in the US at all, let alone it was out now. Has anyone played this? My impression is that it's a roguelike with D&D conceits. Is that the case? I'm seriously thinking about picking this up just to give Matsuno a monetary high five.

casual poster
Jun 29, 2009

So casual.
Hmmm, I wish I could see the graphics better, it doesn't seem up to par with how I see Level 5's graphics as being. Still, unique gameplay so I'll have to remember this, I'd dig a game like that.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!
Tonight has been a night of discovery apparently. Elminage Original is out for PSP (for a few weeks now). Basically a straight rip off of Wizardry as far as I can tell. I found it looking for info on Class of Heroes 2 of all things. Check it:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2012/11/20/eliminage-original-brings-deep-rpg-customization-to-psp-today/

Gonna have to give it a try.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

Here's the Elminage Original thread. :v:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3519118

Last word about the PSN release of Class of Heroes 2 is before the end of this year so hopefully this month.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Gyoru posted:

Last word about the PSN release of Class of Heroes 2 is before the end of this year so hopefully this month.

Oh wow, nice work on the thread. I completely missed it! Thanks!

I enjoyed Class of Heroes enough to give the second a try. I feel like I have to support those efforts so we can keep getting Wizardry type games. I still wish we could get another Tales of the Forsaken Land type Wizardry game. Yeah it's not entirely the classic version of the genre but I did like its take on it.

Fenris13
Jun 6, 2003

Gyoru posted:

Is this for the English release of Class 2?

As for Crimson Hero, I was really excited for it until I read that it is only about 6 hours long per playthrough, and there is very little exploration. It still looks like a fun game, but I am not sure I want to spend even only 8 dollars on something that short.

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
Elminage Original bummed me out since I wanted to play it on my Vita but the portrait upload was broken at the time. Don't know if they ever fixed it.

Phlogistic
Oct 22, 2007

Levantine posted:

Sorry for the double post but I just saw this: http://www.gametrailers.com/videos/6pput9/crimson-shroud-launch-trailer

I hadn't realized Crimson Shroud was coming out in the US at all, let alone it was out now. Has anyone played this? My impression is that it's a roguelike with D&D conceits. Is that the case? I'm seriously thinking about picking this up just to give Matsuno a monetary high five.

I've only just started the game, but it definitely doesn't seem to be a roguelike. You move between areas on a map, read some story, make choices, roll dice, and fight in battles. It's a very story-driven experience which reminds me of gamebooks as much as D+D. Definitely has that Matsuno feeling to it, though.

As for the six hours thing, one review I saw somewhere said that new areas and a new ending open up on a second playthrough, allowing for a somewhat different experience.

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Phlogistic posted:

I've only just started the game, but it definitely doesn't seem to be a roguelike. You move between areas on a map, read some story, make choices, roll dice, and fight in battles. It's a very story-driven experience which reminds me of gamebooks as much as D+D. Definitely has that Matsuno feeling to it, though.

As for the six hours thing, one review I saw somewhere said that new areas and a new ending open up on a second playthrough, allowing for a somewhat different experience.

Oh ok, that makes sense given Matsuno is a writer first and foremost and a randomly generated adventure every time might not fit his desire to emphasize plot so heavily. Still, 7.99 isn't a bad price and I just got my 3DS so it might be my christening game.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Holy poo poo Crimson Shroud has the lead dev, composer, and artist from final fantasy tactics.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

First the Dragon Quest 7 remake, and now this? Why do games like this have to be announced after I sold my 3DS? :(

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

Mill Village posted:

First the Dragon Quest 7 remake, and now this? Why do games like this have to be announced after I sold my 3DS? :(

Best Buy has the 3DS XL's on sale for 159 if you're looking to reinvest: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchp...s=960&st=3ds+xl

I bought mine specifically for Fire Emblem but it looks like next year might be a good year for games overall.

iastudent
Apr 22, 2008

Mill Village posted:

Have NoA announce they're bringing over the DQM1 remake and maybe I'll grab another. :colbert:

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Holy poo poo Crimson Shroud has the lead dev, composer, and artist from final fantasy tactics.

So does every other game any of them have worked on. The old Quest Corp crew doesn't stay apart for long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

dis astranagant posted:

So does every other game any of them have worked on. The old Quest Corp crew doesn't stay apart for long.

They really are a great crew. I hope they get another shot at a big release somewhere down the line. Something Ogre Battle or Vagrant Story related.