Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
sector_corrector
Jan 18, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
I may have done something stupid, but it's working out in the short term. I upgraded my scimitar to +3 and now it's doing decent damage. I can kill hollowed warriors in two shots, where it was taking 3-4 before. Definite quality of life improvement, but I'm not sure how rare the upgrade shards are and if I should've waited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

sector_corrector posted:

I may have done something stupid, but it's working out in the short term. I upgraded my scimitar to +3 and now it's doing decent damage. I can kill hollowed warriors in two shots, where it was taking 3-4 before. Definite quality of life improvement, but I'm not sure how rare the upgrade shards are and if I should've waited.

For the +1-+5 shards for normal weapons, you can actually buy them from the blacksmith for 800 souls which is peanuts. In general pretty much everything is farmable other than slabs which are only farmable in theory. The scimitar is perfectly okay anyway, you should just use whichever weapon you like the best.

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

Tallgeese posted:

Okay, I have to point this out. FROM's priorities are... peculiar.

You guys know by now that the game pretty much doesn't perform validity checks on invaders and summons, right?

Well, it actually does... but on only a select set of phantom types.

Let me first list the types of phantoms where zero validity checks are performed.

Invading White/Gold Phantom
Darkwraith
Forest Hunter
Battle of Stoicism

Now let me list the types of phantoms where validity checks are performed.

Darkmoon Spirit of Vengeance (checks for target sin and if you are a Darkmoon, if either condition is unfulfilled you're disconnected)
Gravelord Spirit of Vengeance (checks if target is a Gravelord, if not you get disconnected)
Dragon Spirit that walks the Path of the Dragon (Checks if you are a Dragonbro. If not, you get disconnected)

Notice something? Out of all the original phantom types, the covenants that are arguably anti-rear end in a top hat or completely nice are the only ones that have validity checks!

Also, that last one on the no validity check list is totally true. You can't be indicted if you use it either. And you can Estus just fine.

Whoever was coding this probably thought: "Oh this situation could never happen, why should I bother coding in protections against that? The PS3 can't be hacked anyways! ha ha ha!"

As for why they bothered adding protection against the other types, people have reported that they invade as the improper type of phantom sometimes without modifying the game at all, so the coder probably knew that this could happen, didn't bother fixing it, but just threw in the checks for the last few types figuring that it would probably disconnect the invader and keep the problem from happening (even though it didn't).

People have invaded improperly as a spirit of vengeance even though they were trying to do coop as a gold or white phantom before before, so I assume the game checks for the player's sin after it screws up the phantom type and just says "Hey sin is present! Let the invasion begin!"

Man what a clusterfuck.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

GoldenNugget posted:

Is there a decent place to farm souls at around level 66? I'm hanging around the Duke's Archives and just repeatedly killing those blue medusa things which are super easy to kill. I get around 11K souls per run and occasionally a humanity or two.

I want to get my pyro glove to +5 ascended asap and get some neat spells.

Have you killed Sif? If not, then go to the forest as human.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Does Nito have a weird hitbox or was I just getting some weird rear end lag while being the host. I tried wailing on his legs, but no damage popped up, and he just eneded up dying somehow.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Lazy Programming posted:

Have you killed Sif? If not, then go to the forest as human.

I know of Sif but I don't wanna kill him :(.

sector_corrector posted:

Upgrade it +5 and then ascend it to +10. Do not make it a raw or a lightning weapon. Once you get a certain boss soul and get to the smith in Anor Londo, you can make a fantastic furysword which is very very nice and scales well with dex.

Question, did I just screw up the game by (lord vessel) falling into frampt's pit and then placing the lord vessel there? This is my first playthrough.

GoldenNugget fucked around with this message at 05:58 on Dec 6, 2012

Obscure Risk
Feb 23, 2009

TASed losers
Cya dopes

GoldenNugget posted:

Question, did I just screw up the game by (lord vessel) falling into frampt's pit and then placing the lord vessel there? This is my first playthrough.

Nah nothing huge to worry about, but Frampt isn't going to be dreadfully happy.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

GoldenNugget posted:

Upgrade it +5 and then ascend it to +10. Do not make it a raw or a lightning weapon. Once you get a certain boss soul and get to the smith in Anor Londo, you can make a fantastic furysword which is very very nice and scales well with dex.

Regarding the spoiler: You won't get a bit of dialogue but it's no big deal. There's no way to get all of the dialogue in one run anyway.

And he's not telling you to kill Sif. He's telling you to PVP in the forest by getting invaded by catbros.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

GoldenNugget posted:

Perfect, go into the forest in human form and some people will meet you to give you their souls.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Yeah, but go for the pisaca if you want humanity as well.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
I like calling Pisacas Picassos

muike posted:

Does Nito have a weird hitbox or was I just getting some weird rear end lag while being the host. I tried wailing on his legs, but no damage popped up, and he just eneded up dying somehow.
Sounds like lag. This happens with bosses and normal enemies. Sometimes you wail on a dude, and you hit them, but they don't seem to take damage and just stand there. After a bit (or a long while), they just do their dying animation. Whatever.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
I would think it would be fine for me, since I was the host, but whatever.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

I need an invadee with any sin.

Anyone willing to step up? I might take one sin point away, might not. That's what I'm testing.

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution

muike posted:

I would think it would be fine for me, since I was the host, but whatever.
Yeah, I've seen it as a host and as a phantom. :shrug:

Mr. Whale
Apr 9, 2009
Anybody ever notice that scaling relies on a weapon's base damage? I've got 40 strength and my dragon tooth gets more from scaling than my manserpent great sword even though the scaling should be worse. Maybe it's something special about the dragon tooth?

TastyAvocado
Dec 9, 2009
Scaling does rely on base damage, but the MSGS still gets a lot more from scaling at +15 than the dragon's tooth does at +5 (246 vs. 155 at 40 strength).

Dragonwagon
Mar 28, 2010

And that, as much as anything else, led to my drinking problem.

FrickenMoron posted:

Battle of Stoicism invasion also apparently gives you no warning about it. If the target dies from a fall you get beamed home though.

Is this something you confirmed after I stopped watching your stream?
Because I'm pretty sure when it happened to that one guy in the parish you used a white sign to get in his world.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

I am loving retarded and can't jump to get to the last part of Bed of Chaos.

At least I got a Red Titanite Slab from one of the demons on one of my many trips back... I'm thinking I'll take the Barbed Straight Sword to Chaos+5 so I have both a strong Chaos Weapon and a weapon with Bleed, it seems to share the Longsword moveset which I like.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

VodeAndreas posted:

I am loving retarded and can't jump to get to the last part of Bed of Chaos.
Just drop down onto the tree branch that crosses over the pit, no jumping involved. Indiana Jones, the chosen undead is not.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is it just me, or is the Bed of Chaos fight just terrible? I feel like it's a worse Dragon God fight. I beat it eventually, after a couple of deaths from rolling onto a floor section that crumbled after I started rolling, but I didn't feel excited about having beaten it. It was more of a "Finally, I don't have to deal with this poo poo anymore".

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is it just me, or is the Bed of Chaos fight just terrible? I feel like it's a worse Dragon God fight. I beat it eventually, after a couple of deaths from rolling onto a floor section that crumbled after I started rolling, but I didn't feel excited about having beaten it. It was more of a "Finally, I don't have to deal with this poo poo anymore".

It blows, worst thing in Dark Souls by far.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
I saw a weird thing when bringing in a sunbro. They dropped an item that promptly disappeared, but seemed to play a clip of someone going "Hello!". Anyone ever see anything like that? It seems like an odd thing to hack.

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat

Paracelsus posted:

I saw a weird thing when bringing in a sunbro. They dropped an item that promptly disappeared, but seemed to play a clip of someone going "Hello!". Anyone ever see anything like that? It seems like an odd thing to hack.

Not a hack, that and several similar items are available in the DLC.

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

Fergus Mac Roich posted:

Not a hack, that and several similar items are available in the DLC.

The ones I've seen say hello, very good, I'm sorry, and thank you. I can't find the I'm sorry one. :saddowns:

Fergus Mac Roich
Nov 5, 2008

Soiled Meat
There's a sorcerer hanging out on the side of one of the buildings, I think kind of near the pendant. He drops it.

VodeAndreas
Apr 30, 2009

Beat it. Thing was with a running jump I'd land on the branch but the roll after I landed kept taking me too far but seemed close enough to be the right action. Just doing a roll off the edge by itself worked fine :downs:

venus de lmao
Apr 30, 2007

Call me "pixeltits"

The only redeeming thing about the Bed of Chaos is that those little shits you have to smash don't reset when you die.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011
I still don't think Bed is that bad. Like he took me 4-5 deaths, no more than any other boss I don't kill on the first try, and a gently caress of a lot less than god drat Capra Demon did the first time around. Just gotta hug the very edges of the arena so the dumb hands can't sweep you into the pits.

Obscure Risk posted:

Nah nothing huge to worry about, but Frampt isn't going to be dreadfully happy.

Does doing it this way piss off Kaathe, or does he only get mad if you place it specifically for Frampt?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I haven't ever died to the Bed of Chaos. If you just run parallel to the holes that pop up in the floor (as in, keep them to one side of you at all times), he'll knock you forward or backward instead of sideways and thus into the hole. Or you could just roll out of the way of most of it. It's still a lovely fight, I guess I just don't understand how you can have so much trouble with it. The walk back after you die is presumably the most annoying part.

EDIT: I was actually just talking to a friend about this on Steam and apparently he still can knock you sideways? In that case yeah this fight pretty much sucks.

CJacobs fucked around with this message at 11:25 on Dec 6, 2012

Roguelike
Jul 29, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Bed is dumb gimmick fight that I hate because I like to play characters with no shield.

Just like Nico or Seath or even Gwen, the complaint isn't 'these bosses are too hard.' The complaint is 'these bosses are poorly designed and not fun to fight.' In that respect, Bed of Chaos is the most disappointing boss in the game. I would seriously rather fight, like, three gaping dragons or whatever and continue the dumb theme of Lost Izalith.

Kleptomancer
Oct 16, 2008

Magres posted:

Does doing it this way piss off Kaathe, or does he only get mad if you place it specifically for Frampt?

I did this one time and Kaathe never appeared in that playthrough.

electrohead
May 24, 2007

Everybody loves you.
And Electrohead, after many wretched trials and miserable, fiery deaths, is gently deposited by hideous angels on the ramparts of Anor Londo.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

Lazy Programming posted:

Perfect, go into the forest in human form and some people will meet you to give you their souls.

If you are talking about npcs, I'm a catbro so nope...

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

GoldenNugget posted:

If you are talking about npcs, I'm a catbro so nope...

I'm talking players. The other option is to throw something hard at Amazing Chest and wait for them to come.

Turncoat Mommy fucked around with this message at 13:57 on Dec 6, 2012

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

If I upgrade a weapon past +5, I can still upgrade it with other things like lightning and fire later, right?

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Genocyber posted:

If I upgrade a weapon past +5, I can still upgrade it with other things like lightning and fire later, right?

The availability of Fire starts at +5, and Lightning at +10, but if you're going to be putting any amount of points into the weapon's main scaling stat (30+), you're going to want to start shooting for +15.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

The weirdest thing just happened, something I've never seen in the game at all before, even after a hundred or so hours on the ps3 and about the same on PC. I was going through the undead parish when something shoots a spray of arrows at me from the altar in the little church.

I turn around and it's what looks like a rolling red phantom, which is weird cause I was hollowed. I get a little closer and its some kind of hosed up crab with spikes sticking out of its back. I tried to screenshot it but it died instantly to my soulmass I already had on. My ham hands managed to hit the gfwl key at the same time as f12 so I missed its corpse.

It only dropped twin humanities too.

Chumppell
Nov 9, 2007

FirstPersonShitter posted:

The weirdest thing just happened, something I've never seen in the game at all before, even after a hundred or so hours on the ps3 and about the same on PC. I was going through the undead parish when something shoots a spray of arrows at me from the altar in the little church.

I turn around and it's what looks like a rolling red phantom, which is weird cause I was hollowed. I get a little closer and its some kind of hosed up crab with spikes sticking out of its back. I tried to screenshot it but it died instantly to my soulmass I already had on. My ham hands managed to hit the gfwl key at the same time as f12 so I missed its corpse.

It only dropped twin humanities too.

Grats on meeting a Vagrant. They show up every so often in high-traffic regions / places where people die a lot.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Does the Black Knight Sword get any more upgrades past +5? It disappeared from the upgrading list, and I can't find anything online that talks about any other upgrades for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Analogi
Mar 31, 2011

What the duck?

Analogi fucked around with this message at 06:22 on Feb 15, 2014

• Locked thread