Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Faustoan Bargain posted:

I'm not confident enough in my pen to part with Burnett, I fear.
(EDIT: Oh, right, he actually wasn't rostered; I was just considering adding him as an extra southpaw due to Thornton's lousy EC season. Yeah, I guess either of those guys could be expendable enough, then.)

Haha, fair enough. I'm leaning pretty heavily on Alan Embree ffs, so I'm looking for any lefty reliever with a pulse.

Faustoan Bargain posted:

What years Porter and Fisk are we talking about? And what beyond the pick would each require?

It honestly wasn't even on my radar until now; they combined for 26 home runs last season for me, which is Real Good for catchers in the Super League. They're '75 and '84 respectively. Problem is, a lot of your strengths are also mine - I need a reliable left side of the infield and a few more competent rotation arms. I don't know, Fisk is better than what's left in the draft pool, you want Averill, Fisk, and Matt Williams for your last two picks, Ian Desmond, and the LOOGY of your choice? Two Hall guys+ is pretty good value.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

Viscount Slim posted:

Haha, fair enough. I'm leaning pretty heavily on Alan Embree ffs, so I'm looking for any lefty reliever with a pulse.

It honestly wasn't even on my radar until now; they combined for 26 home runs last season for me, which is Real Good for catchers in the Super League. They're '75 and '84 respectively. Problem is, a lot of your strengths are also mine - I need a reliable left side of the infield and a few more competent rotation arms. I don't know, Fisk is better than what's left in the draft pool, you want Averill, Fisk, and Matt Williams for your last two picks, Ian Desmond, and the LOOGY of your choice? Two Hall guys+ is pretty good value.
Tempting, but I'm wary of Fisk's age - if Javy Lopez can't be trusted coming off a ridiculous year at 32, I'm not sure how much more comfortable I should be with a 36-year-old coming off a very good year, even a HoFer. That's probably a risk I'm facing with just about any catcher, I guess.

Downgrade the pick to the 3rd rounder, but also get Desmond and your pick of Burnett/Thornton for Averill?

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012
Understandable.

Sure, that works for me. I'll give Thornton a shot if you're dissatisfied with him.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,
prospects=lies, win=lose,

self=Pirates

Faustoan Bargain posted:

Tempting, but I'm wary of Fisk's age - if Javy Lopez can't be trusted coming off a ridiculous year at 32, I'm not sure how much more comfortable I should be with a 36-year-old coming off a very good year, even a HoFer. That's probably a risk I'm facing with just about any catcher, I guess.

Downgrade the pick to the 3rd rounder, but also get Desmond and your pick of Burnett/Thornton for Averill?

Faustoan, if you still care to look for pieces to add to the C/CF deal we discussed, I finally finished my list of players. It should be here.

e: Note that all of my C's are quite young and spry. :v:

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 6, 2012

Faustoan Bargain
Dec 24, 2009

I'd sell my soul for a pitcher with a power sinker...

The Cleveland Commies have reached a trade with Burma Imperialists

Commies receive 1937 Earl Averill
Burma Imperialists receive 3rd-round draft pick, 2012 Ian Desmond, and 2011 Matt Thornton

Commies use their second-round draft pick to select 1911 Chief Bender. (No word on if Cleveland management will force Bender to use the nickname "Wahoo." :v:)

Mornacale - sorry, but I'm pretty pleased with my CF fix, and decided that there just isn't a perfect catcher to be worth worrying about in the face of more significant holes. (Now watch Javy puncture a lung in the first week of April.)

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Draft Order/Pool for a new page.

e: What's this Supplemental Round that's being secretly added to the spreadsheet?

UltimoDragonQuest fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Dec 6, 2012

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."

UltimoDragonQuest posted:

Draft Order/Pool for a new page.

e: What's this Supplemental Round that's being secretly added to the spreadsheet?

Eh, I'm thinking about adding a supplemental round, but I'm going to sleep on it.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Eh, I'm thinking about adding a supplemental round, but I'm going to sleep on it.

Wouldn't hurt; there's 104 players but only 50 picks and more filler wouldn't hurt.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

Eternal Commissioner of the Super League. A new avatar. A new age, of the same old embittered Smasher that failed to escape the bonds of the SL, FM3, Johnny Hopp and Eri Yoshida "The Knuckle Princess". "The flames of Smasher's ire scorch the skies... Igniting St. Bellhorn's funeral pyre."
Right, I'm trying to figure out who should get some extra picks, any thoughts people?

UltimoDragonQuest
Oct 5, 2011

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Right, I'm trying to figure out who should get some extra picks, any thoughts people?
Division winners
Best team name
Best team logo (were any of them more than poorly edited GIS results?)

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

Mine was taken from the best .gif, thank you very much :colbert:

also quoting for the new page:

Monicro posted:

Hey dudes, if someone wants to trade for:

OF Mel Ott

OF Tim Raines

C Ernie Lombardi

1B Johnny Mize

OF Bobby Thomson

Or someone on these teams, that would be cool okay later.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

I made mine in OOTP!

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Dunno, pick the winners of Friday night's NBA games?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
Comedy option: Gigantic Epicmafia tourament.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
Bloggers Trade Block

Just to re-iterate, here is a spreadsheet containing every even-marginally-interesting player I own. Anyone not named Bonds or Radbourn is tradable, though you can see that some positions (SS, 3B) are pretty thin and would need a replacement.

I'm specifically looking to part with excess C, 1B, 2B, CF, SP, and RP. I would happily trade for your draft pick, or trade up.

My needs are (in order) SS, 1B, 2B, SP, 3B, RP. Infield defense is a priority; if your infielder is a butcher I must demur. I like groundball pitchers.

I also am willing to move draft picks. If you can beat the available players at one of my positions of need, then my draft picks can be yours. I have two of the next five, plus a late 3rd-rounder.

-----

mks5000 and TKBomber7285, is there anything above that works in the frameworks we've been discussing? TK, I still like McGwire, but it's clear that he's worth less than my two best picks; is there a deal to build around Grantham?

CraigK and BrooklynBruiser, both of you have put 2Bs on the market. Both of them concern me defensively. However I'm still interested in offers involving both of them. Ditto CthulhuDreams and Mr. Yount.

BearDrivingTruck, if you're looking for bullpen help, I think I can make a comparable offer to Robb Nenn. Something like 2004 Mike Gonzalez + someone. Sure you're not willing to trade?

Monicro, if you want to make me an offer for Ott I'd consider it. I've also got peripheral interest in: Ray Culp, Bill Hands, Dick Radatz, Mike Flanagan, and Tim Stoddard. I'd also trade you quite a bit for Cal Ripken or Nap Lajoie. Quite a bit indeed.

-----

If you're going to add a supplemental round just to distribute more players, why not just add a fourth round in general? Not that I would mind just giving more picks to divisional winners, of course.

A bigger thing that I was thinking about with respect to the EC/SL is that I think future ECs should offer more minor league spots. Especially as a new player, there are tons of dudes on my feeders that I'd really like to see a roll on, but can't. It would be great to have had a chance to see what BBM thinks of some of these dudes.

Heck, honestly, why not roster expansion in general? Most well-established SL teams have way more than 28 dudes on their rosters (I have complained about this issue before). By my count the SL teams at the end of SLVII had 32 players on the roster.

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

I don't know, if I'm going to do supplemental picks, I'd probably want to give a few picks to teams that survived the Super-League, but didn't make the playoffs as well.

As far as roster limits, expanding them in the EC might be a good idea, but I don't know that doing it in the Super-League is a good idea.

Here's why:

First, you'll get some new players during the season, either by trade, or super-draft, or whatever the hell I come up with to replace the old Super-League Challenge system, so only having 28 spots on your roster is a transitory problem.

Second, giving new owners more slots is just going to end up hurting them. Here's the thing, owners usually come up with solid lineups and rotations for opening day. But hen the games start getting simmed, and they start freaking out, and they make panic moves, and do things like say "Oh man, Ripken is only hitting .200 through the first three weeks of the season! I'd better bring in Rafael Furcal." If I expand the roster, you're going to spend the extra slots on players that should never, under any circumstances, play in the Super-League but, since they're there, you'll feel compelled to use them when your roster doesn't perform exactly the way you think it should. Having an extra roster spot so you can stash Joey Cora or Luis Sojo or Jose Oquendo can only lead to to tragedy.

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Smasher Dynamo posted:

If I expand the roster, you're going to spend the extra slots on players that should never, under any circumstances, play in the Super-League but, since they're there, you'll feel compelled to use them when your roster doesn't perform exactly the way you think it should.

Hah! Joke's on you! I've already decided Mitch Meluskey is going to be on my roster!

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx
And I was looking to flip Biggio assuming I'd draft a 2B with the pick I spent on Larry Walker, so, uh, disregard that offer now

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Smasher Dynamo posted:

Second, giving new owners more slots is just going to end up hurting them. Here's the thing, owners usually come up with solid lineups and rotations for opening day. But hen the games start getting simmed, and they start freaking out, and they make panic moves, and do things like say "Oh man, Ripken is only hitting .200 through the first three weeks of the season! I'd better bring in Rafael Furcal." If I expand the roster, you're going to spend the extra slots on players that should never, under any circumstances, play in the Super-League but, since they're there, you'll feel compelled to use them when your roster doesn't perform exactly the way you think it should. Having an extra roster spot so you can stash Joey Cora or Luis Sojo or Jose Oquendo can only lead to to tragedy.

Okay, but where's the downside? :v:

CraigK posted:

And I was looking to flip Biggio assuming I'd draft a 2B with the pick I spent on Larry Walker, so, uh, disregard that offer now

Nobody has taken a 2B since then, but okay I guess?

CraigK
Nov 4, 2008

by exmarx

Mornacale posted:

Okay, but where's the downside? :v:

Nobody has taken a 2B since then, but okay I guess?

Well, my plan was to trade Biggio + something else for a pick later on so I could get a decent 2B, but it looks like even now, all the current second-basemen are kinda crap and I'd be best off to stick with what I've got.

CraigK fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Dec 6, 2012

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Monicro posted:

Mine was taken from the best .gif, thank you very much :colbert:

also quoting for the new page:

Mornacale posted:

Bloggers Trade Block

Just to re-iterate, here is a spreadsheet containing every even-marginally-interesting player I own. Anyone not named Bonds or Radbourn is tradable, though you can see that some positions (SS, 3B) are pretty thin and would need a replacement.

I'm specifically looking to part with excess C, 1B, 2B, CF, SP, and RP. I would happily trade for your draft pick, or trade up.

My needs are (in order) SS, 1B, 2B, SP, 3B, RP. Infield defense is a priority; if your infielder is a butcher I must demur. I like groundball pitchers.

I also am willing to move draft picks. If you can beat the available players at one of my positions of need, then my draft picks can be yours. I have two of the next five, plus a late 3rd-rounder.

I am interested in your Ernie Lombardi's.

Monicro, what are you looking for specifically?

Mornacale, I have a couple starting pitchers, 1919 Phil Douglas and 1919 Claude Hendrix, if you want deadball pitchers.

Make me an offer.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

With their second pick in the draft, the Pessimists select 1997 Rob Nen.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Mornacale posted:

mks5000 and TKBomber7285, is there anything above that works in the frameworks we've been discussing? TK, I still like McGwire, but it's clear that he's worth less than my two best picks; is there a deal to build around Grantham?

Viscount Slim posted:

Fair enough, any other throw-ins you can add in lieu of Velarde? He's certainly not worth killing the deal over. I only suggested him because you're going to have to pare down to 28 players after the picks, etc.

I'm still interesting in possibly making a deal for either 76' Kaat or 72 Stottlemyre, but I decided that I'm going to wait until after my 3rd round pick to do so.

Unless someone wanted to trade me an everyday right fielder (again, lefty preference) for Kaat, Stottlemyre and my 3rd round pick. I would likely make that deal. But again, I'd likely wait a bit until I see what my option with the pick would be.

Viscount Slim
Mar 9, 2012

Smasher Dynamo posted:

I don't know, if I'm going to do supplemental picks, I'd probably want to give a few picks to teams that survived the Super-League, but didn't make the playoffs as well.

Ha, well, pretty sure I need help more than, say, the Landers.

gardenald
Jul 23, 2007

In the end, it comes down to throwing one pitch after another, and seeing what happens. With each new consequence, the game begins to take shape.
With the 32nd pick in the Super League Dispersal Draft, the Providence Barons select

1966 Brooks Robinson

Revenant Threshold
Jan 1, 2008
Past trade question; did anyone get Rip Sewell from me? I recall certainly him being offered for/me offering him, but I don't have it written down who ended up with him, if indeed anyone did.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates
I'm not ready to pick yet, but if my time limit passes my current preference is Noodles.

mentholmoose posted:

Mornacale, I have a couple starting pitchers, 1919 Phil Douglas and 1919 Claude Hendrix, if you want deadball pitchers.

Make me an offer.

Alright, so, it looks like you didn't use either guy in EC, so I haven't the slightest clue what BBM thinks of them. Nobody seems to want to trade for them, so my impression of SL's opinion isn't real good. So here's an idea:

Bloggers give: 1932 Ernie Lombardi + PTBNL (anyone not on my current 28-man, plus 1968 Denny McLain)
Failures give: 1919 Phil Douglas + 1919 Claude Hendrix
Stipulations:
1) If the average OVR of Douglas and Hendrix is below 87, the Bloggers retain the right to void this trade (returning all players to their original owner) through the end of the first month of SLVIII.
2) If the average OVR of Douglas and Hendrix is above 92, the Failures will receive a second PTBNL (per the above guidelines)

(To clarify, I intend for the "PTBNL"s to be named whenever you agree to the deal, just the one would only be sent over if the condition is met.)

I think that covers both our asses some as far as the volatility of not knowing how those guys will grade out.

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
I've got frank smith who is deadball as gently caress with a 94 rating, what else would you want for Lombardi?

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006
What the balls is with this supplemental round? I'd support another round for EC teams (plus the Coburns and Biosparks, I suppose), but teams like the Bangers, the Unicorns, the Cultists, and the Eazy W's don't need picks!

Smasher Dynamo
Oct 16, 2008

You guys are making quick work of this draft...time to slow you all down!

I've added a Supplemental Round to the draft, in which all teams will get a pick, the order of which was determined by a weighted lottery. The order is as follows:

51. Florida Oranges
52. Cleveland Unicorns
53. Seattle Suicides
54. Dubai Dervishes
55. Luna Landers
56. Philadelphia Failures
57. Portland Bulldogs
58. Barons
59. Mighty Oneida Spooners
60. Coburns
61. New England Arguments
62. Spokane Air Raids
63. Cuba Smokers
64. Florida Dickshots
65. Albany Pessimists
66. Hartford Whalers
67. Rochester Generics
68. San Juan Elephants
69. Cancun Tornados
70. Saturn Biosparks
71. Finger Lakes Phoenixes
72. Web 2.0 Bloggers
73. Burma Imperialists
74. Cleveland Commies
75. Ryleh Cultists
76. New Orleans Mashers
77. Oxbridge Mathematicians
78. Antarctica Unspecifieds
79. Wausau Woodchucks
80. Rockford Losers
81. South Bolton Eazy W's
82. Fukuoka Finger-Bangers

Also, I've raised the cap on players for new teams to 30 from 28. I hope these extra slots end up burying Mornacale's team.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I've got frank smith who is deadball as gently caress with a 94 rating, what else would you want for Lombardi?

94 you say?

:v:

Looking for the same old same old: upgrades at pitching and infield. Trading Lombardi gives me a hole at C (I like my two other guys a lot as backups, not so much as starters), so it has to be worth not just taking Noodles. If you think you can beat the deal I pitched to moose, go for it.

TKBomber, would you do George Grantham + my 3rd-round (#49) for McGwire and a swap of our supplemental picks? I could throw in someone who's not currently on my 28-man, or otherwise negotiate.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Dec 6, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Mornacale posted:

94 you say?

:v:

Check the first dates of the season - players who are real major leagues experience ratings decay if you leave them in the minors for too long.

OK if you need some catching, how about Smith + 2001 Irod for Lombardi plus something small? I can toss in ted lilly if you'd like.

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

Check the first dates of the season - players who are real major leagues experience ratings decay if you leave them in the minors for too long.

OK if you need some catching, how about Smith + 2001 Irod for Lombardi plus something small? I can toss in ted lilly if you'd like.

Nah. I'd rather trade for infield/pitching and then use a pick on a C.

Robert Deadford
Mar 1, 2008
Ultra Carp
Since everyone is getting all frisky with this whole trading malarkey, this is what I need, in order of priority:

some decent relievers;

a 3B who is a better hitter than John Valentin, and an equivalent fielder at worst;

an OF who gets on base better than Roger Maris;

a utility middle infielder.

What I can offer:

my remaining picks and/or all the unused players on my feeders (45 and 64 Yankees, 57 and 97 Red Sox, and there is an MVP lurking among them).

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician

mentholmoose posted:

I am interested in your Ernie Lombardi's.

Monicro, what are you looking for specifically?

Pitching mainly. Maybe a Right Fielder but I may be able to get that sorted out independent of this trade.

Maybe Douglas + Hendrix in exchange for Lombardi + Morogiello?

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

Monicro posted:

Pitching mainly. Maybe a Right Fielder but I may be able to get that sorted out independent of this trade.

Maybe Douglas + Hendrix in exchange for Lombardi + Morogiello?

I'm intrested in this as well, what do you need in addition to Frank Smith from me?

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

Robert_Deadford posted:

Since everyone is getting all frisky with this whole trading malarkey, this is what I need, in order of priority:

some decent relievers;

a 3B who is a better hitter than John Valentin, and an equivalent fielder at worst;

an OF who gets on base better than Roger Maris;

a utility middle infielder.

What I can offer:

my remaining picks and/or all the unused players on my feeders (45 and 64 Yankees, 57 and 97 Red Sox, and there is an MVP lurking among them).

I have relievers and middle infielders, check out the appropriate tabs.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
Luna Landers offer

1926 Lou Gehrig
Supplemental draft pick #55

Web 2.0 Bloggers offer

1968 Denny McLain
1968 Willie Horton
3rd round pick #35

Mornacale
Dec 19, 2007

n=y where
y=hope and n=folly,

self=Pirates

mrnoun posted:

Luna Landers offer

1926 Lou Gehrig
Supplemental draft pick #55

Web 2.0 Bloggers offer

1968 Denny McLain
1968 Willie Horton
3rd round pick #35

Bloggers confirm

Also, in case it's not obvious, this means we retract our offer to TKBomber.

Mornacale fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Dec 7, 2012

mentholmoose
Nov 5, 2009

YKNOW THERES ONLY ONE DIRECTION I KNOW AND THATS DRIVIN STRAIGHT TO THE NET

Mornacale posted:

Alright, so, it looks like you didn't use either guy in EC, so I haven't the slightest clue what BBM thinks of them. Nobody seems to want to trade for them, so my impression of SL's opinion isn't real good. So here's an idea:

Bloggers give: 1932 Ernie Lombardi + PTBNL (anyone not on my current 28-man, plus 1968 Denny McLain)
Failures give: 1919 Phil Douglas + 1919 Claude Hendrix
Stipulations:
1) If the average OVR of Douglas and Hendrix is below 87, the Bloggers retain the right to void this trade (returning all players to their original owner) through the end of the first month of SLVIII.
2) If the average OVR of Douglas and Hendrix is above 92, the Failures will receive a second PTBNL (per the above guidelines)

(To clarify, I intend for the "PTBNL"s to be named whenever you agree to the deal, just the one would only be sent over if the condition is met.)

I think that covers both our asses some as far as the volatility of not knowing how those guys will grade out.

FWIW, I had Phil Douglas in my minors during the EC, and at the end of April it had him rated at 91. Here's the screenshot:

The Providence Barons used 1912 Claude Hendrix in the EC, and it shows him with an 86/90 rating. That was his second year in the league. By 1919 he's got a significant amount of MLB experience, so he should be close to that 90. Here's the screenshot of that:

I'll agree to this trade with the stipulations you mentioned above. The PTBNL I'd like is 1964 Robin Roberts. If by some chance they're actually average above 92, for the second PTBNL I'll take 1932 Eppa Rixey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

I guess pick #51 is up for trade, I'm looking at lefty relievers (preferably closers) that aren't John Franco, or more preferably a third baseman that's not as brittle as my Eddie Mathews.