Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
The only thing I wanna know is am I going to be blinded repeatedly like I was in the theater with the original movie.

God drat that was like LENS FLARE: THE MOVIE, FEATURING STAR TREK STUFF.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The only thing I wanna know is am I going to be blinded repeatedly like I was in the theater with the original movie.

God drat that was like LENS FLARE: THE MOVIE, FEATURING STAR TREK STUFF.

I never even noticed the lens flare until people in-thread starting pointing it out. I guess it just doesn't bother me?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
I have no idea how. Sitting in a dark theater and having them switch from the normal lighting in space to OH poo poo BLOOM LIGHTING AND LENS FLARE ORGY made me start wincing every time I thought the scene was going to change.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

ComposerGuy posted:

Except that: In JJVerse, the Enterprise was built on Earth (in Iowa, no less), meaning at some point that sucker had to lift off and deal with the strain of exiting Earth's gravity and atmosphere. I'll grant you it isn't quite the same a deep-sea diving, but still.

Just a Futurama quote from the episode where they go to the bottom of the ocean.

EDIT: In your defense it was a lot more obvious before I edited out their names in the quote.

Irish Taxi Driver fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Dec 6, 2012

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Just a Futurama quote from the episode where they go to the bottom of the ocean.

Aw man, I should have picked up on that.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

ComposerGuy posted:

I never even noticed the lens flare until people in-thread starting pointing it out. I guess it just doesn't bother me?

Same thing happened to me, I didn't even notice the first time I saw it. But the second time going in knowing they were there it is pretty distracting.

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
1-minute teaser released

http://www.hitfix.com/motion-captured/a-teaser-for-the-star-trek-into-darkness-teaser-gives-us-our-first-look-at-the-sequel

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Oh Bennedict, you creepy bastard. :allears:

That was a pretty awesome teaser, though. Some of those shots looked gorgeous (Kirk and Bones running through the red field).

Convicted Bibliophile
Dec 2, 2004

I am the night.
Ben is sounding very Patrick Stewart-y in that voice over.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Now you're playing with power.
This looks good. Also with that female science officer there looking a lot like that officer from Where No Man Has Gone Before, I don't think it's a stretch to guess that Cumberbatch is playing Gary Mitchell

BOAT SHOWBOAT
Oct 11, 2007

who do you carry the torch for, my young man?
I know complaining about "orange-and-blue" is a cliche but god there is a lot of it in that trailer. I rewatched the first movie last night, so the difference is really noticeable to me and not consistent at all. Not that it needs to look the same, but I actually kind of miss the lens flare at this point. At least it was a (slightly) unique look, unlike orange-and-blue which everyone is doing. Hopefully the whole movie won't look like that.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

I have no clue what to think of that teaser.
I didn't get a Trek vibe from it at all.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

Trek belongs on weekly TV. Any movie that is remotely good is a bonus but I want a NEW TV SHOW dammit.

Aatrek
Jul 19, 2004

by Fistgrrl
Sally Kellerman vs. Alice Eve.

Throb Robinson
Feb 8, 2010

He would enjoy administering the single antidote to Leia. He would enjoy it very much indeed..
I'm excited as gently caress now

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I think everything Benedict Cumberbatch does just makes my crush on him grow. There doesn't seem to be as much of a focus on space as I'd like, but I'm still super hyped for this movie now.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
So the Japanese version of that teaser has a tad bit extra footage at the end, including one shot that makes me go "Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. Hope that isn't what I think it is."

Wrath of Khan ending much?

http://i.imgur.com/kpauL.jpg

Agamembar
Jan 21, 2005

A USS Enterprise appears.
USS Enterprise uses 'Phaser Barrage'.
Its super effective.

Cellophane S posted:

Trek belongs on weekly TV. Any movie that is remotely good is a bonus but I want a NEW TV SHOW dammit.

A new show would be great but I wonder if anyone could do anything actually good. Though a series featuring section 31 or that starfleet time department that i can remember the name of might be interesting.

Darksaber
Oct 18, 2001

Are you even trying?
I honestly think that still is just an homage/fakeout. I really doubt they'd go down that route.

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Darksaber posted:

I honestly think that still is just an homage/fakeout. I really doubt they'd go down that route.

I bet it's a fake-out, because there's also a shot in the teaser of Scotty and Uhura down in Engineering and Uhura is crying into Scotty's shoulder as he looks on stoically.

I bet they set it up, but Spock lives, and maybe someone else dies.

Shirkelton fucked around with this message at 13:17 on Dec 6, 2012

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Aatrek posted:

They are practically identical.

Just realised that those two pictures are 46 years apart.

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

That hairstyle is pretty loving rad

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Aatrek posted:

Different eye colours.

My immersion. :argh:

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

So is this basically a movie version of Where No Man Has Gone Before? Seems like it

Not complaining. If they're going back to the episode well for ideas, that's a good place to start.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Literally second movie and they're already loving up the Enterprise.

Cheesus
Oct 17, 2002

Let us retract the foreskin of ignorance and apply the wirebrush of enlightenment.
Yam Slacker

WMain00 posted:

Literally second movie and they're already loving up the Enterprise.
Toy nerds aren't going to buy the same toy ship twice!

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Who is Benedict Cumberbatch and why should I be excited he is in Modern Space Action Movie?

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Farecoal posted:

Who is Benedict Cumberbatch and why should I be excited he is in Modern Space Action Movie?

He plays a snarky rear end in a top hat in the BBC's Sherlock (guess who) and is providing the voice of Smaug in the Hobbit.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
And he's just all-around a really good actor.

Siroc
Oct 10, 2004

Ray, when someone asks you if you're a god, you say "YES"!

Farecoal posted:

Benedict Cumberbatch is... the Space Fonz!

Cellophane S
Nov 14, 2004

He's a good actor, they probably couldn't have done better than casting him. Whoever he's playing.

Still really doubt it's Khan.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

935 posted:

Looks good man.

I'm so sick of Batman at this point.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Ka0 posted:

I'm so sick of Batman at this point.

I only just noticed it was the logo...ha.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

That looks like a really fun movie. Definitely not Star Trek of old, but entertaining.

The shot of the cliff with all the red vegetation totally reminds me of War of the Worlds.

Apple Jax
May 19, 2008

IDIC 4 LYF

Senor Tron posted:

That looks like a really fun movie. Definitely not Star Trek of old, but entertaining.

The shot of the cliff with all the red vegetation totally reminds me of War of the Worlds.

Trailer doesn't look bad and yeah it's definitely not the Star Trek of old which is unfortunate, but it is what it is! I just hope they don't take this new movie in too much of a super hero direction.

MajorB
Jul 3, 2007
Another stupid '07er
I am legitimately concerned that they toned down the lens flare. There definitely wasn't enough of it in that pre-teaser.

Also, in my opinion that extra bit of footage in the Japanese trailer definitely makes the overall effect more Star Trek than the US version. Even if it is just a visual quote from Wrath of Khan.

EDIT: Also, i'm glad that one of these teaser-for-a-teasers actually felt like a legit teaser trailer. That ruled and I would have been 100% happy to see it in a theater.

MajorB fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Dec 6, 2012

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

That teaser has me so loving pumped. I can't wait to make my non-Trek friends who like the new movie sit down and watch WNMHGB.

ComposerGuy
Jul 28, 2007

Conspicuous Absinthe

Senor Tron posted:

That's kind of the entire point of JJTrek.

Tuxedo Jack
Sep 11, 2001

Hey Ma, who's that band I like? Oh yeah, Hall & Oates.
As someone pointed out to me, the last scene in the Japanese trailer isn't only a visual cue to WoK but also has the characters reversed. Spock appears to be outside the chamber, and Kirk (or whoever is in green or a darker uniform) appears to be inside and bloodied.

That being said, I really hope they switch it up, and we get to hear Spock deliver the "Of all the souls I've encountered..." line.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stormageddon
Jan 16, 2008
I am actually just a sentient program made to shitpost, and am still getting my human speed calibration down.

ComposerGuy posted:

That's kind of the entire point of JJTrek.

Yeah, but they still, y'know, Trekked.

There was a distinct lack of Stars and Trekking in the trailer, which kinda makes me wonder why they are even bothering to attach the franchise at this point.

• Locked thread