Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Anti-Citizen
Oct 24, 2007
As You're Playing Chess, I'm Playing Russian Roulette

Mef989 posted:

Don't Corsairs still count as Eldar though for the purpose of Psychic abilities? If so, you can always grab a Corsair prince with that 2++

The issue isn't that they're not eldar, its that they're from a different codex.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Hixson posted:

You can't use codex Eldar psychic powers of Dark Eldar anymore. It was FAQ'd. It was fun while it lasted though.

Is there a re-roll failed saves divination power?

You can only cast Eldar powers on an Eldar unit. Once an independent character joins a unit they are considered part of it. You cast it on the warlock unit that happens to have the archon in it.

Raphus C
Feb 17, 2011

Slimnoid posted:

Crossposting an Ork Weirdboy. He has robot legs because why not :toot:

I am going to steal this idea. I like the lightening wire.

Constructive criticism, I would remove the big shoulder-plates. I think armour doesn't suit Weirdboyz and it would also make it look further away from a Nob.

Also Robot legs are ace. My next project will be converting a massive mob of Boyz into Cybork shootas. I am coming into a large blob of them soon.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Is there a good place to find the bitz to make a Valkyrie into a Vendetta? I've tried eBay, thewarstore, and bitz barn but they are either not on any page I've yet seen, or like $20 each. I'm thinking it could just be a better use of time to glue some lascannons (from the heavy weapons squad sprue) onto the weapon mounts for the hell strike missiles.

...I might just end up doing that instead. :v:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Is there a good place to find the bitz to make a Valkyrie into a Vendetta? I've tried eBay, thewarstore, and bitz barn but they are either not on any page I've yet seen, or like $20 each. I'm thinking it could just be a better use of time to glue some lascannons (from the heavy weapons squad sprue) onto the weapon mounts for the hell strike missiles.

That is exactly what I did.

Although one of mine used some razorback lascannons.

Groetgaffel
Oct 30, 2011

Groetgaffel smacked the living shit out of himself doing 297 points of damage.

Icon Of Sin posted:

Just do this:
http://tauonline.org/?content=browse&article=645

It takes nothing more than 6 lascannons, which you probably have lying around in the bits box any way, and looks totally legit.

As someone who actually has a Vendetta made with the Forgeworld conversion kit, that conversion looks more legit than the real one with it's :flaccid: resin barrels.

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

Raphus C posted:

Constructive criticism, I would remove the big shoulder-plates. I think armour doesn't suit Weirdboyz and it would also make it look further away from a Nob.

While fair enough, the nob torso has those annoying slots where the shoulder plates go, and I was too lazy to think of another way to cover it up. Plus he goes with a Deathskulls army :v:

BlueInkAlchemist
Apr 17, 2012

"He's also known as 'BlueInkAlchemist'."
"Who calls him that?"
"Himself, mostly."
I have a sealed Dark Vengeance box I cannot in good conscience hold on to. If anybody is interested in picking it up at reduced cost, ping me here and we'll work something out. Bonus points if you're in or near the Philadelphia, PA area of the USA.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Groetgaffel posted:

Just do this:
http://tauonline.org/?content=browse&article=645

It takes nothing more than 6 lascannons, which you probably have lying around in the bits box any way, and looks totally legit.

As someone who actually has a Vendetta made with the Forgeworld conversion kit, that conversion looks more legit than the real one with it's :flaccid: resin barrels.

drat, right along the lines of what I was thinking, just a lot further along. I had experimented with taking the pylons and fitting the lascannons to those, and then sticking 2 of those on the bottom of the cockpit so all 3 lascannons would be right there together. I haven't put the wings on mine yet, I had wanted to keep it looking more like a helicopter than a plane but that is probably going to change here shortly

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Hixson posted:

How viable is a big seer council? Are jetbikes a must?

I have a ton of Warlock models; all they ever get used for is babysitting duty with guardians or wraithguard.

Big gently caress-off seer councils with enhance, embolden, and a fortune or doom/fortune seer are pretty boss. They're very durable, but owing to their lack of AP and low number of attacks, they can get hung up on stuff with good saves.

Anti-Citizen posted:

The issue isn't that they're not eldar, its that they're from a different codex.

It's probably both. They clearly want to limit the ways in which you can combo special abilities between different codices, but on the other hand, Dark Eldar aren't really Eldar anymore by the fluff. They're largely birthed by artificial means, their psychic affinity has almost completely atrophied, and their souls are irreversibly corrupt. Honestly (and this comes from a guy who loved running an allied archon with my seer council), it's more fluffy now that guide and fortune don't work on DE.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

PeterWeller posted:

It's probably both. They clearly want to limit the ways in which you can combo special abilities between different codices, but on the other hand, Dark Eldar aren't really Eldar anymore by the fluff. They're largely birthed by artificial means, their psychic affinity has almost completely atrophied, and their souls are irreversibly corrupt. Honestly (and this comes from a guy who loved running an allied archon with my seer council), it's more fluffy now that guide and fortune don't work on DE.

I think GWS game decisions are completely arbitrary. Attributing fluffiness or balance just gives them too much credit.

I mean, can you ever imagine Space Marines taking orders from an Ethereal Tau?

That being said, the Daemons/CSM IC split was probably just to avoid the amount of headaches in having people trying to Deep Strike ICs in with Daemons, or not having to Deepstrike or whatever.

The Icons thing is dumb though, but who knows. Maybe they realized that it would allow a Chaos detachment to precision drop Daemons around them, that was just too much. It would garauntee people taking at least one unit of Chaos detachment (which doesn't hurt Daemons at all) just for that.

Manifest
Jul 7, 2007

HELLO THERE I COME FROM THE FUTURE
I revised my GK list to kick it up to 1500 points.
This is made up purely of models I already own, though I ordered a box of DE wyches to convert into death cult assassins.
Any glaring mistakes on unit loadout I should be aware of?
Everything I've read makes halberds out to be the poo poo.

+ HQ + (315pts)

* Grey Knight Grand Master (215pts)
(And They Shall Know No Fear, Grand Strategy, Independent Character, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), The Aegis)
Frag, Krak and Psyk-out Grenades, Hammerhand, Master Crafted Nemesis Force Halberd (10pts), Master Crafted Storm Bolter (5pts), Mastery Level 1 (Psyker (Mastery Level 1)), Psychic Communion, Psychotroke Grenades (15pts), 2x Servo Skulls (10pts)

* Inquisitor (100pts)
* Inquisitor Coteaz (100pts)
(I've Been Expecting You, Independent Character, Psyker (Mastery Level 2), Spy Network, Stubborn)
Bolt Pistol, Dark Excommunication, Frag, Krak and Psyk-out Grenades, Hammerhand, Master Crafted Nemesis Force Daemonhammer, Psyber Eagle, Sanctuary

+ Elites + (90pts)

* Techmarine (90pts)
(And They Shall Know No Fear, Blessing of the Omnissiah, Bolster Defences, Independent Character, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), Psyker (Mastery Level 1), The Aegis)
Bolter and Servo Harness, Frag, Krak and Psyk-out Grenades, Hammerhand, Power Weapon

+ Troops + (619pts)

* Formosan Inquisitorial Henchmen Warband (99pts)
Servitor with Multi Melta (10pts) (Mindlock)
* Acolyte (4pts)
Chainsword, Flak Armour, Laspistol
* Acolyte (4pts)
* Acolyte (4pts)
* Acolyte (4pts)
* Acolyte (4pts)
* Acolyte (4pts)
* Arco Flagellant (15pts)
(Feel No Pain)
Arco-flails (CCW)
(Feel No Pain)
Arco-flails (CCW)
(Feel No Pain)
Arco-flails (CCW)
* Mystic (10pts)
(Psychic Beacon)
Laspistol
* Psyker (10pts)
Laspistol

* Grey Knight Strike Squad (255pts)
(And They Shall Know No Fear, Brotherhood of Psykers, Combat Squads, Deep Strike, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), The Aegis)
Hammerhand, 2x Psycannon (60pts), Storm Bolter and Nemesis Force Daemonhammer (30pts), 5x Storm Bolter and Nemesis Force Halberd (125pts), Storm Bolter and Nemesis Force Sword (20pts), Warp Quake
* Justicar (20pts)
Nemesis Force Sword, Storm Bolter

* Grey Knight Terminator Squad (265pts)
(And They Shall Know No Fear, Brotherhood of Psykers, Combat Squads, Preferred Enemy (Daemons), The Aegis)
Hammerhand, Nemesis Force Daemonhammer, 4x Nemesis Force Halberd, Psycannon (25pts), 4x Storm Bolter, 5x Terminators (200pts)
* Terminator Justicar (40pts)
Nemesis Force Sword, Storm Bolter

+ Fast Attack + (221pts)

* Stormraven Gunship (221pts)
(Assault Vehicle, Deep Strike, Power of the Machine Spirit, Psychic Pilot, Shadow Skies, The Aegis)
4x Mindstrike missiles, Extra Armour (15pts), Fortitude, Searchlight (1pts), Twin Linked Lascannons, Twin Linked Multi Meltas

+ Heavy Support + (255pts)

* Land Raider (255pts)
(Assault Vehicle, Power of the Machine Spirit, Psychic Pilot, The Aegis)
2 x Twin Linked Lascannon, Fortitude, Smoke Launchers, Twin Linked Heavy Bolters

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Hey, you guys know that festive-themed game I've set up with my buddies? Here are the loot tokens we'll be using (these are totally going to be a surprise for the rest of the guys), around the central objective:

(no, the Eldar Rangers won't be guarding the Gift Tokens, they're just there for scale)

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

If you are going to take a techmarine, find some points to give him psychotroke grenades. One of the few units that can take them, and also one of the few reasons to take a techmarine in a list.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

azwethinkweizm posted:

Hmm my initial idea was a Spyder body. I think that could work but it wouldn't really make the model look like jump infantry. A Wraith body would, but I can't quite imagine how I'd attach a Necron torso on a Wraith body. Also wouldn't it just look like a Wraith?

The way the wraith tails assemble they have a round bit at the top that connects to the base of the wraith body. You should be able to connect it to the underside of the destroyer torso pretty easily, especially if you use the tail that's modeled in the upright position.

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie
I just picked up a few used Meganobz from someone and a few were missing the power Klaw but had this cool powerfist on them instead. Anyone know where this fist bit is from?

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

Looks like an old plastic chaos marine fist from about 2nd ed- the one that came with the ccw sprue. Maybe.

Interstellar Owl
Nov 3, 2010

"The universe seems neither benign nor hostile, merely owl like."

BlueInkAlchemist posted:

I have a sealed Dark Vengeance box I cannot in good conscience hold on to. If anybody is interested in picking it up at reduced cost, ping me here and we'll work something out. Bonus points if you're in or near the Philadelphia, PA area of the USA.

How much? Also, if you're in Philly, I'm in southern Ocean County so meeting halfway wouldn't e bad.

xiw
Sep 25, 2011

i wake up at night
night action madness nightmares
maybe i am scum

Cpig Haiku contest 2020 winner

CyberLord XP posted:

I just picked up a few used Meganobz from someone and a few were missing the power Klaw but had this cool powerfist on them instead. Anyone know where this fist bit is from?

That's the old Nazdreg's power claw.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Thundercracker posted:

I think GWS game decisions are completely arbitrary. Attributing fluffiness or balance just gives them too much credit.

I mean, can you ever imagine Space Marines taking orders from an Ethereal Tau?

Eh, as arbitrary and fickle as they seem, someone is making decisions for some reasons.

And while I can't imagine a Marine taking orders from an Ethereal, I can easily imagine a Marine detachment helping out a Tau force. I'm helped by the existing fluff that describes such an event.

Sephyr
Aug 28, 2012

Thundercracker posted:

That being said, the Daemons/CSM IC split was probably just to avoid the amount of headaches in having people trying to Deep Strike ICs in with Daemons, or not having to Deepstrike or whatever.

The Icons thing is dumb though, but who knows. Maybe they realized that it would allow a Chaos detachment to precision drop Daemons around them, that was just too much. It would garauntee people taking at least one unit of Chaos detachment (which doesn't hurt Daemons at all) just for that.

The thing is, this sort of already happens: most Daemon armies I have seen have an Icon in each of the deployment 'halves' and use it to bring the next wave in.

Having it on an allied CSM squad would actually be worse, as you could only Deepstrike in your deply zone in the first turn if you wanted a guided drop, unless the Icon was in an Infiltrated squad, but since Chaos has no Infiltrators (Can't do it via the warlord trait in a detachment), that can't happen.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
As hilarious as the Etherial suicide trick is, has anyone seen it used in an actual game yet?

CyberLord XP
Oct 18, 2005

Goldie...She says her name is Goldie

xiw posted:

That's the old Nazdreg's power claw.

Thanks for this, wonder where this guy got four of them :orks:

The Dark Project
Jun 25, 2007

Give it to me straight...
Likely did what I did and ordered them through the bitz store back when GW actually sold bitz to people. Those were the days.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

PeterWeller posted:

Big gently caress-off seer councils with enhance, embolden, and a fortune or doom/fortune seer are pretty boss. They're very durable, but owing to their lack of AP and low number of attacks, they can get hung up on stuff with good saves.

They do work on a DE IC in an Eldar unit though which is what was being described.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

I feel it is time to unleash my awful painting skills onto the world. I'm going for a cartoony feel for the army. Just to warn you, most of these were painted within days of me picking up a paintbrush for the first time ever.

I give you Imho-Tex! The first kitbash I ever put together, mostly to see if I could.
(Now that I'm getting slightly better at painting cloth I'm going to go in and fix the cape someday.)

My Immortals. I later learned that you can actually take time when painting and you don't, in fact, have to load your brush with as much paint as you can.

My second ghost ark (I am not posting the first one.) I wanted to show off a bit of the customization I did to it. The gauss blasters from the Immortal box and a valkyrie for the prow.

Since I use Crypteks mostly as heavy weapons guys I liked the joke of just using space marine heavy weapons. It also adds to the cartoony feel I'm going for with the army.

and Just for fun my destroyer lord.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

8one6 posted:

I feel it is time to unleash my awful painting skills onto the world. I'm going for a cartoony feel for the army.

My first thought was you'd copied the scheme from some 80's cartoon villains mooks, so good job with that!

Head over the the painting thread also lurking in this subforum if you haven't already, they'll got all sorts of tips for a new painter like you that'll make your life easier.

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice

8one6 posted:

and Just for fun my destroyer lord.

I actually quite like this...

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Well now, here is a thing: http://www.creative-assembly.com/sega-and-creative-assembly-announce-partnership-with-games-workshop-to-create-warhammer-games/

Limp Wristed Limey
Sep 7, 2010

by Lowtax

Warhammer Total War................

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty

Holy Batman. Huge battles in fantasy and 40k would be awesome. They will most likely do a fantasy game though since the ranged focus games like Empire Total War weren't as popular. (I love them though)
Looking forward to hearing things about this in the future.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
From the article, it looks like it's just Fantasy for the first game, but I suppose if the THQ contract is over and Fantasy has a good reception there's no reason why they wouldn't do a 40K version.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

I'd be surprised. They have a history of granting IPs to companies who have a good record of making games that would fit the way the various GW games play out, like Rodeo Games getting Warhammer Quest due to Hunters, THQ getting DoW due to Company of Heroes etc.

Also krush, check your PMs!

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

krushgroove posted:

From the article, it looks like it's just Fantasy for the first game, but I suppose if the THQ contract is over and Fantasy has a good reception there's no reason why they wouldn't do a 40K version.

Apparently THQ still owns the rights for the 40k universe while Creative Assembly got fantasy. Which makes a lot more sense like Fuegan said.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

Torabi posted:

Apparently THQ still owns the rights for the 40k universe while Creative Assembly got fantasy.

Considering how much great stuff THQ has produced with the license I really can't imagine anyone doing anything better. Both DoW, DoW2, and Space Marine would be fantastic games without the license and they're only better for it.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Yeah that makes a lot more sense for GW to split up the properties like that. I'm sure someone has looked at the dividend report to see how much was earned just on video game licensing - it must be substantial.

e: also Pierre, did you see the loot tokens I made? Posted earlier today, I thought you might like them.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

krushgroove posted:

e: also Pierre, did you see the loot tokens I made? Posted earlier today, I thought you might like them.

I did! They're very :3:. I heartily approve.

krushgroove
Oct 23, 2007

Disapproving look
Cool!

I swear, I start off every Christmas season all grinchy but then I start to do stuff like this and I get all warm and fuzzy inside.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Fuegan posted:

THQ getting DoW due to Company of Heroes
Wait what, wasn't DoW first?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Anyone know what happened to those unit cards that a guy was making for various units? Containing all their stats and special rules. Forgot who it was but they were really neat.

PierreTheMime posted:

Considering how much great stuff THQ has produced with the license I really can't imagine anyone doing anything better. Both DoW, DoW2, and Space Marine would be fantastic games without the license and they're only better for it.

Yeah, the original DoW series rocks. I don't like DoW2 as much though.

Pierzak posted:

Wait what, wasn't DoW first?

Dow 1 was released 2004 while CoH came along 2006.

• Locked thread