Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Are you getting the Wii U?
This poll is closed.
Yes 9031 65.25%
No 1191 8.60%
Maybe 808 5.84%
I'm an idiot 460 3.32%
Waluigi 1603 11.58%
Waa 748 5.40%
Total: 13841 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Astro7x
Aug 4, 2004
Thinks It's All Real
So if you're looking to save some money on Nintendo eShop Downloads, this might be your best time to do it until Saturday. I totally did this last night.

Toy'R'Us is running a promotion with 10% off all gift cards. Best Buy will price match this, so go buy $225 worth of eShop Gift Cards for $202.50. You'll also get 2x Reward Zone Points because it' a game purchase, so you'll get $8.00 back in Reward Zone points. Also, AMEX is doing a deal right now with $20 statement credit with a $200 purchase at Best Buy in store if you sync your card. So right now that's $48 back. Plus if you bought the black console, you're going to get another $22.50 back in the form of an eShop Gift Card after you spend your $225, so that's $70 off $225 worth of stuff.

Seems like a no brainer to me if you are going to get eShop games exclusively.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

PaulD1980 posted:

I can't believe you guys are stiiilll arguing about the technological aspect of the WiiU. Honestly, if you bought a Nintendo product expecting it to be cutting edge technology, you're doing it wrong! It's not Nintendo's prerogative, never has been, never will be.

Sony and/or Microsoft will fill that need for me next year.

It's been their prerogative all the way up to the Gamecube and if you want cutting edge, buy a PC.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Sometimes I honestly wonder if you guys are viral buzz marketing when your start talking about credit card reward points.

Do you think Nintendo will sell the Wi fit dongle separately from the game? I really wanna buy from eShop but I don't have a board and I want the pedometer. I don't think I'll actually use Wii fit with regularity if I have to swap out the disc everytime though.

AngryCaterpillar
Feb 1, 2007

I DREW THIS

greatn posted:

Sometimes I honestly wonder if you guys are viral buzz marketing when your start talking about credit card reward points.

Do you think Nintendo will sell the Wi fit dongle separately from the game? I really wanna buy from eShop but I don't have a board and I want the pedometer. I don't think I'll actually use Wii fit with regularity if I have to swap out the disc everytime though.

They said that ALL Nintendo published games would be on the eShop, which would necessitate selling the accessories separately, but I don't know if they'd do that.

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice

Astro7x posted:

So if you're looking to save some money on Nintendo eShop Downloads, this might be your best time to do it until Saturday. I totally did this last night.

Toy'R'Us is running a promotion with 10% off all gift cards. Best Buy will price match this, so go buy $225 worth of eShop Gift Cards for $202.50. You'll also get 2x Reward Zone Points because it' a game purchase, so you'll get $8.00 back in Reward Zone points. Also, AMEX is doing a deal right now with $20 statement credit with a $200 purchase at Best Buy in store if you sync your card. So right now that's $48 back. Plus if you bought the black console, you're going to get another $22.50 back in the form of an eShop Gift Card after you spend your $225, so that's $70 off $225 worth of stuff.

Seems like a no brainer to me if you are going to get eShop games exclusively.

I had contemplated going all-digital but after my experience with downloading a 6GB game taking 6 hours I'd rather not.

mcpringles
Jan 26, 2004

PaulD1980 posted:

I can't believe you guys are stiiilll arguing about the technological aspect of the WiiU. Honestly, if you bought a Nintendo product expecting it to be cutting edge technology, you're doing it wrong! It's not Nintendo's prerogative, never has been, never will be.

Sony and/or Microsoft will fill that need for me next year.

Seriously who gives a gently caress? In a year the 720/ps4 will be out and be 10 times better than the Wii U anyways.

flyboi posted:

I had contemplated going all-digital but after my experience with downloading a 6GB game taking 6 hours I'd rather not.
Has anyone tested if downloaded games load faster than disc games?

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I understand. But it's weird, I downloaded Mario which was only 2 gb of course, but it didn't take hardly any time at all really. Maybe I just didn't notice because I was playing Nintendo Land. At least I bet most Nintendo games will not take up a lot of space, so downloading something like Wii Fit U is not going to be an arduous task.

Are we really sure the competition will be out in a year? I really hope they wait til 2014, have a seamless launch for once in the history of games. There's so much good current gen stuff coming out at the end of the year anyway, it seems like a waste.

greatn fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Dec 6, 2012

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

ZeroAX posted:

Seriously who gives a gently caress? In a year the 720/ps4 will be out and be 10 times better than the Wii U anyways.

Has anyone tested if downloaded games load faster than disc games?

I tested with Nintendo land and it seemed exactly the same.

greatn posted:

I understand. But it's weird, I downloaded Mario which was only 2 gb of course, but it didn't take hardly any time at all really. Maybe I just didn't notice because I was playing Nintendo Land. At least I bet most Nintendo games will not take up a lot of space, so downloading something like Wii Fit U is not going to be an arduous task.

Downloading Nintendoland and Mario where both as quick as I would expect them to be and all of the updates have been fine as well.

I guess there might be more of an issue in NA though.

But from my time spent in broadband tech support, I half think some of the issues are related to how the WiiU is connecting to peoples routers.

Long John Power fucked around with this message at 15:55 on Dec 6, 2012

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

ZeroAX posted:

I'm going to laugh if Sony requires Move be bundled with all of their systems.

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

Bobnumerotres posted:

Nope, I only had that happen once playing Nintendo Land. Ugh. This sucks. Oh well. It's not so frequent that it ruins my life or anything.

That's my point - I think this patch might have fixed the "airhorn" lockup. Last week, I had a day that I literally could not play NintendoLand because it would crash within 5 minutes of starting up every single time. Maybe other people are still getting the problem, but I think they fixed it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Long John Power posted:

I tested with Nintendo land and it seemed exactly the same.

Downloading Nintendoland and Mario where both as quick as I would expect them to be and all of the updates have been fine as well.

I guess there might be more of an issue in NA though.

But from my time spent in broadband tech support, I half think some of the issues are related to how the WiiU is connecting to peoples routers.

Why do you think it has so many problems with routers? I have a standard WPA2 protected 802.11n Belkin I bought last year and have had zero problems. I didn't have to put in anything manually, didn't have to change any router settings.

Other people have reported a nightmare though. Is it possible because they have a lot of advanced settings they have been using to block xbla ads or something?

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

Other people have reported a nightmare though. Is it possible because they have a lot of advanced settings they have been using to block xbla ads or something?
I connected effortlessly at my house, but at a friend's house and at work I "connected" to the network and the connection test went fine, but I couldn't access the internet on it at all.

Nintendo usually attempts to support as few standards/protocols/formats as possible to save money (take a look at what the WiiU does with surround sound), and I suspect that they may have not allowed for any "quirky" setups. I know I had a lot of weird connectivity issues with my Wii.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
Why are they like this? Is their board just run by extremely conservative businessmen? Is it japanese culture?

Edit: and is trouble connecting to certain router standards a software problem or a hardware problem?(eg can it be fixed)

greatn fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Dec 6, 2012

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

greatn posted:

Why do you think it has so many problems with routers? I have a standard WPA2 protected 802.11n Belkin I bought last year and have had zero problems. I didn't have to put in anything manually, didn't have to change any router settings.

Just because (probably wrongly) from a tech support point of view I always assume that people cannot set up their routers properly!

From personal experience the router I use is pretty old and the WiiU wouldn't connect to it at all via WPA2.

I suspect the WiiU just isn't that great at connecting to all the fruity router standards out there.

Obviously this is all totally baseless speculation though.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

greatn posted:

You can't do that anymore. At least, not in the E3 demo, and not in the Wii re-releases. The second analog stick does nothing.

What the gently caress? That's absolutely terrible.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

Long John Power posted:

Just because (probably wrongly) from a tech support point of view I always assume that people cannot set up their routers properly!

YouTube has been pretty amazing when it comes to reducing how much time I spend helping family, friends, and their teenage kids when it comes to this sort of stuff. Simple video tutorials do wonders for these folks once they get it into their heads that it is a resource they should check out first before looking elsewhere. I still don't mind helping though, and I think these days most families know at least one person who can do this stuff for them.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere
I downloaded scribblenauts, not a large game but it downloaded in the amount of time I would assume for my internet speeds. The Wii U download speeds are a shitload faster for me than XBLA for comparison.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Download speeds are an issue, but the literal 2 hours it took for Warriors Orochi 3 to install after it downloaded is unforgivable.

Xavier434
Dec 4, 2002

I have not purchased my Wii U yet, but when I do I will probably buy digital games despite the stories of download/install speeds. I'll just do something else while that is happening like sleep, go to work, watch TV, etc. The speed really doesn't bother me even in the slightest. If I truly have to have it "now" I will buy the game on disc the day it is released.

I am not defending Nintendo here. I think the speeds are too slow even though it doesn't bother me, but I did want to add a voice amongst the rage that represents a different group of Nintendo's audience and how they feel at the moment about it.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

I set FIFA13 to download, knocked out a few races in Sonic, and then it was ready to install... not sure why the eShop is being such a jerk to everyone else, though.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

socialsecurity posted:

Download speeds are an issue, but the literal 2 hours it took for Warriors Orochi 3 to install after it downloaded is unforgivable.

That's the real issue. I wonder what the heck it's doing. Unzipping? You can do other stuff while downloading but not during install.

Nickoten
Oct 16, 2005

Now there'll be some quiet in this town.

Darko posted:

What the gently caress? That's absolutely terrible.

Seriously, I thought that was the basis of the game's controls. Do you tap to show them where to go now?

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Nickoten posted:

Seriously, I thought that was the basis of the game's controls. Do you tap to show them where to go now?

In the new play control ones I think you had to hold something down and you got an arrow that you could move them about with (But they took away the cavalry charge noise :()

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

Young Orc

greatn posted:

Why are they like this? Is their board just run by extremely conservative businessmen? Is it japanese culture?

Edit: and is trouble connecting to certain router standards a software problem or a hardware problem?(eg can it be fixed)

Honestly? I've suspected for years that Nintendo has one guy somewhere high up who is completely convinced that investing in any not-actually-gaming-itself technology is a bad idea.

So no DVD support (it isn't games, and we have to pay for it) no Dolby, no internet at all for a really long time, no account-level stuff on the Wii. There seems to be an element of "the serious tech heads will buy the best stuff and deal with problems themselves or use other devices", not realizing that pretty boring Joe Average consumers want this stuff.

I don't get why Nintendo doesn't understand - every time a user turns his system on to do something, even if that something isn't play video games, you're basically advertising to the user for free, even if you don't use actual advertisements. Every time I use my 360 or PS3 to play a movie, I remember "oh yeah, my console exists", meaning that I am much more likely to buy software for it.

At the very least, Nintendo should offer the ability to buy a "DVD Movie Channel" for $1 on the eShop.

I get it, Nintendo - you want to be entirely game focused, where the other guys have much grander plans to integrate their systems into every aspect of your life. That doesn't mean you can't use those other things to fuel the gaming side of stuff.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Nickoten posted:

Yeah, swarming was actually preferable to throwing half of the time, not to mention navigating them in between things or on tough terrain. You could also get really creative with the navigation. What in the world are they thinking?

Big Moose
Dec 6, 2012

t('.'t)

theflyingorc posted:

I get it, Nintendo - you want to be entirely game focused, where the other guys have much grander plans to integrate their systems into every aspect of your life. That doesn't mean you can't use those other things to fuel the gaming side of stuff.

They kind of broke out of their shell when they made Netflix and Hulu available on their systems. But if they're going to offer that why not just make the system compatible with Blu-Ray/DVD? I really don't understand Nintendo sometimes.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

I believe Nintendo has said they don't like using common disc formats for games because they're significantly easier to pirate. This is at least what they said for gamecube (and Wii I think too).

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

theflyingorc posted:

Honestly? I've suspected for years that Nintendo has one guy somewhere high up who is completely convinced that investing in any not-actually-gaming-itself technology is a bad idea.

So no DVD support (it isn't games, and we have to pay for it) no Dolby, no internet at all for a really long time, no account-level stuff on the Wii. There seems to be an element of "the serious tech heads will buy the best stuff and deal with problems themselves or use other devices", not realizing that pretty boring Joe Average consumers want this stuff.

I don't get why Nintendo doesn't understand - every time a user turns his system on to do something, even if that something isn't play video games, you're basically advertising to the user for free, even if you don't use actual advertisements. Every time I use my 360 or PS3 to play a movie, I remember "oh yeah, my console exists", meaning that I am much more likely to buy software for it.

At the very least, Nintendo should offer the ability to buy a "DVD Movie Channel" for $1 on the eShop.

Netflix, hulu plus, WiiTV.

At what point are they 'game only'?

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

theflyingorc posted:

So no DVD support (it isn't games, and we have to pay for it) no Dolby

This can be chalked up to Nintendo's avoidance of paying royalties for DVD playback and Dolby support since they'd have to license it. Everything else you wrote is valid but it seems like they're making an earnest effort to turn the WiiU into a media HUB as well as a gaming machine.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011

theflyingorc posted:

I just assumed (especially with the Wii and the Wii U) that they limited that stuff to keep their hardware costs down.

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Big Moose posted:

They kind of broke out of their shell when they made Netflix and Hulu available on their systems. But if they're going to offer that why not just make the system compatible with Blu-Ray/DVD? I really don't understand Nintendo sometimes.

I thought I read somewhere that the way the disc drive was configured made it impossible to properly read DVDs/Blu-Ray discs.

Edit: Actually, thinking back on how to actually do that while maintaining backwards compatibility with Wii discs makes it seem unlikely. I probably just misremembered or misread some :tinfoil: post.

Badingading fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 6, 2012

Iacen
Mar 19, 2009

Si vis pacem, para bellum

socialsecurity posted:

I wonder why Nintendo has chosen that way. I hate getting digital downloads for my PS3, because they always have to be installed too, but on Xbox you can use the content straight away.
Could it be some patent or something that prevents Sony and Nintendo from having that useful technology, or is it how the OS are designed?

Big Moose
Dec 6, 2012

t('.'t)

Badingading posted:

I thought I read somewhere that the way the disc drive was configured made it impossible to properly read DVDs/Blu-Ray discs.

I'm sure it is. Nintendo does this because they want their systems to be for games and games alone. But if they're going to offer Hulu and Netflix I don't see why they didn't just make their system a multi-media device and give it the ability to play DVD's and Blu-Rays.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Badingading posted:

I have watched dvds on the Wii using homebrew so I know that isn't the case.

Big Moose
Dec 6, 2012

t('.'t)

greatn posted:

I have watched dvds on the Wii using homebrew so I know that isn't the case.

Yes the Wii could, but I think he means the Wii U. Which I'm not too sure if it can or not.

Louisgod
Sep 25, 2003

Always Watching
Bread Liar

Big Moose posted:

Yes the Wii could, but I think he means the Wii U. Which I'm not too sure if it can or not.

Considering it has the capacity to read Wii discs I don't see why it wouldn't have that functionality at some level.

Big Moose
Dec 6, 2012

t('.'t)

Louisgod posted:

Considering it has the capacity to read Wii discs I don't see why it wouldn't have that functionality at some level.

This is something slipped my idiot mind for some reason. So yeah the disc reader probably doesn't have any special configuration.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

I have already a bazillion devices that can not only play DVDs but also Netflix and Hulu. I mean, my TV can do Netflix and Hulu. I guess it's nice to have a device that consolidates it all together, but none will do it as efficiently as a Roku or HTPC, so it doesn't really matter to me.

The only media I use Wii U for is Youtube in the web browser because the curtain open/close mechanic makes for good youtube shenanigans with company.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

People used to make poo poo up about Gamecube discs being written/read counterclockwise instead of clockwise. It's hogwash. There's nothing crazy about Nintendo's versions of DVD/Blu-Ray discs, the difference is just the encryption and formatting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Quest For Glory II posted:

I have already a bazillion devices that can not only play DVDs but also Netflix and Hulu. I mean, my TV can do Netflix and Hulu. I guess it's nice to have a device that consolidates it all together, but none will do it as efficiently as a Roku or HTPC, so it doesn't really matter to me.

The only media I use Wii U for is Youtube in the web browser because the curtain open/close mechanic makes for good youtube shenanigans with company.

There is nothing better than having friends over with that curtain up and showing them some horrible AwfulVision video like a man in an inflatable pig suit or something

• Locked thread