Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!
This is a 15-inch, Early 2011 MacBook Pro. I just disabled hardware acceleration, it didn't do anything. If there's an active Chrome window open, gfxCardStatus shows it immediately switch to the discrete GPU. Currently using Chrome Version 23.0.1271.95

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer
I'm sure this gets answered every week, but what is the best MS Office replacement I can use on Mac? OpenOffice?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

PaganGoatPants posted:

I'm sure this gets answered every week, but what is the best MS Office replacement I can use on Mac? OpenOffice?
Define "MS Office replacement." If you just want a productivity suite, then people are generally going to say iWork. If you want 100% Office compatibility, then use Office. If you want free, I don't know. LibreOffice I think it's called now?

io_burn
Jul 9, 2001

Vrooooooooom!

PaganGoatPants posted:

I'm not sure "OpenOffice" and "best" even belong in the same paragraph.

I've actually had really good luck with Office compatibility and the iWork suite.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

io_burn posted:

I've actually had really good luck with Office compatibility and the iWork suite.
As have I, but it's still not quite 100%. It's never impacted anything I'm working on, but you never know.

PaganGoatPants
Jan 18, 2012

TODAY WAS THE SPECIAL SALE DAY!
Grimey Drawer

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Define "MS Office replacement." If you just want a productivity suite, then people are generally going to say iWork. If you want 100% Office compatibility, then use Office. If you want free, I don't know. LibreOffice I think it's called now?

Well for now I'm not doing anything complicated with Office stuff just the occasional excel file etc.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

iWork stuff is alright, at least Pages and Numbers.

Pages is a capable word processor.
Numbers is a barebones, but capable spreadsheet app.

Keynote is awful.

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

PaganGoatPants posted:

Well for now I'm not doing anything complicated with Office stuff just the occasional excel file etc.
Again, it depends on your usage. If your spreadsheets have lots of formulae or any scripting then only Office is going to work reliably. If you're just summing up some figures then Numbers / iWork will be fine. I haven't used OpenOffice or whatever the current FOSS productivity suite is in years so I can't speak to that.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

ConfusedUs posted:

Keynote is awful.

What? Keynote is widely regarded as significantly better than PowerPoint.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Another option is Google Docs, not the greatest by any means but works ok enough.

I use a combination of iWork and Office (just cause I have to occasionally, for reasons mentioned already). Used Open/LibreOffice for a bit too for stuff iWork couldn't handle...and it wasn't much better, which led me to getting Office finally.

TheState
Mar 1, 2007

Dave, promise me one thing: next Christmas, let's take the bus.

ConfusedUs posted:

Keynote is awful.

I disagree. Keynote is great, at least in my opinion.

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Ethereal posted:

Agreed. I can convey something 10 times more effectively in Keynote than PowerPoint, because it uses an interface I'm used to. Now if I'd been using PowerPoint for years, I could see why it would be tough. There's stuff that I just can't figure out how to do in PP though.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Ethereal posted:

Has Keynote gotten an update in the last couple of years? Because I quickly gave up on it in like '10 or so.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
iWork stuff is still old, outside of iCloud integration nowadays.

...but Keynote was praised even at 1.0 and considered superior even back then.

Anmitzcuaca
Nov 23, 2005

Is there a way to stop iCloud coming up as the default save location for everything in iWork?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Anmitzcuaca posted:

Is there a way to stop iCloud coming up as the default save location for everything in iWork?

Paste this into Terminal and run:
defaults write NSGlobalDomain NSDocumentSaveNewDocumentsToCloud -bool false

Changes the default behavior for everything that uses NSDocument.

Oneiros fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 6, 2012

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY
I'm curious if there's a system wide default I can set for the default location thing.

edit: Thanks

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I know that 3 years is dead and buried in software years, but Pages isn't broken and doesn't need fixing. It is a great option for $20 or whatever it costs. Of course, I'm still on snow leopard and have no plans to upgrade because of all these other incompatibilities it would introduce in the software I use.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001
I'm sure this absolutely futile:

Is there any way for me to apply Exchange rules to my email?

Outlook for Mac: You can only apply local rules. You can create/edit Exchange rules, but it does not let you apply them.

OWA: Same as Mac client. You can create/edit rules, but not apply them.

Mail (10.8): Like Outlook for Mac, it only lets you apply local rules.

Do I really need to load a Windows virtual machine just to apply a rule?

unruly
May 12, 2002

YES!!!

Xenomorph posted:

I'm sure this absolutely futile:

Is there any way for me to apply Exchange rules to my email?

Outlook for Mac: You can only apply local rules. You can create/edit Exchange rules, but it does not let you apply them.

OWA: Same as Mac client. You can create/edit rules, but not apply them.

Mail (10.8): Like Outlook for Mac, it only lets you apply local rules.

Do I really need to load a Windows virtual machine just to apply a rule?
Pretty much. Add to that the fact that Outlook on the Mac cannot connect to SharePoint or import multiple calendars and you're left wondering why they even bother to make a client for Mac.

I used to think Exchange was this awesome service. Then I realized it was just a bunch of half-assed poo poo that they make work magically with Windows.

IMAP, CalDAV and LDAP are more than adequate for most people's needs.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
I've seen variations on this problem, so hopefully it's general enough for help in this thread.
I'm trying to setup the Apple Service Toolkit on my 10.8 server. I've got everything installed, but I have a problem when I go to the Netinstall settings. I can see the AST images listed, but when I go to make ANY changes to the settings for them I get this error:

An error occurred on the server while processing a command. The error occurred while processing a command of type 'writeSettings' in plug-in 'servermgr_netboot.'

This definitely didn't happen in 10.7 and I've seen people on the Apple boards complain about this error for other stuff in the server.app. I've fixed permissions and the disk. Any ideas or am I boned until they fix this thing?

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

ConfusedUs posted:

Keynote is awful.

Wow, yeah, I've had Powerpoint users be really jealous of Keynote presentations.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

AlternateAccount posted:

Wow, yeah, I've had Powerpoint users be really jealous of Keynote presentations.

In my office, apparently we only use Keynote.

Word
Excel
Keynote

I don't know why, actually. Someone had started using it some time back (I don't know how old it is), and so everything is set up in Keynote format now. I have a script set up to extract PDF files from the Keynote presentations and copy them to our web site to make it easy to share some of our presentations. Does PowerPoint automatically save PDF embedded in its file?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Okay, I take back everything I said about Keynote. I guess I really am the only one who hated it.

I'll give it another shot if it's supposed to be that good. I have an open mind and a bit of free time this week. :)

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.
I use Chrome as my main browser, and a Chrome incognito window for local web development (easier to get rid of cookies, etc). The problem with this set up is that the incognito window is often the most-recently-used chrome window, and as such, is the place where links opened from IM, email, etc get deposited. This is a pain in the rear end as I usually want that to open in my non-incognito tab if it's a site that relies on being logged in.

Is there a way to force OS X or Chrome to disregard the Incognito windows for external links?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!

Xenomorph posted:

Does PowerPoint automatically save PDF embedded in its file?

Yes, I do believe PDFs inserted in a PowerPoint are not linked but embedded in the file. If that's your question?

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Lexicon posted:

Is there a way to force OS X or Chrome to disregard the Incognito windows for external links?

There is an extension that does exactly that, called Un-incognito. You will have to set up a list of website that you want to open in "normal" mode with regular expressions (but it's not hard at all) and Chrome will switch back and forth between you incognito and non-incognito windows automatically.

Lexicon
Jul 29, 2003

I had a beer with Stephen Harper once and now I like him.

noskill posted:

There is an extension that does exactly that, called Un-incognito. You will have to set up a list of website that you want to open in "normal" mode with regular expressions (but it's not hard at all) and Chrome will switch back and forth between you incognito and non-incognito windows automatically.

Thanks!

crazysim
May 23, 2004
I AM SOOOOO GAY

decypher posted:

Yes, I do believe PDFs inserted in a PowerPoint are not linked but embedded in the file. If that's your question?

Maybe he meant the PDF that comes free with the pre-generated preview thing? If so, I don't think Powerpoint does that.

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

decypher posted:

In Keynote, when you save, it can be set to save the presentation in two formats at the same time.
Think of making something from scratch in PowerPoint, hitting the Save button, and it creating a PPT ~and~ PDF file. Instead of two files, it's a single file. We're not embedding a PDF, the program is creating a PDF.

This lets us make one presentation and then load it up on a computer or web browser. The PDF version lacks animation/sound/etc, but it matches a static presentation perfectly.

wolffenstein
Aug 2, 2002

Pork Pro
I haven't been able to find anything searching the Internet. Is there an app or instructions that describe how to uninstall anything associated with Adobe? I already ran the CS 5.5 uninstaller (which left supporting apps installed) and Flash uninstaller. Adobe Reader XI doesn't appear to have an uninstaller or uninstall directions yet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

ConfusedUs posted:

Okay, I take back everything I said about Keynote. I guess I really am the only one who hated it.

No, I hate it too. It's terrible.

abelwingnut
Dec 23, 2002

For the last half year my Air's fan has been going nuts after about 30m of iTunes, Safari, and Twitter. I've checked Activity Monitor, only to find that the dock is using anywhere from 80% to 160% of the CPU. About two minutes after I end it, my computer acts normally.

Any ideas what might be causing this?

Sonic Dude
May 6, 2009

Joe Don Baker posted:

I've seen variations on this problem, so hopefully it's general enough for help in this thread.
I'm trying to setup the Apple Service Toolkit on my 10.8 server. I've got everything installed, but I have a problem when I go to the Netinstall settings. I can see the AST images listed, but when I go to make ANY changes to the settings for them I get this error:

An error occurred on the server while processing a command. The error occurred while processing a command of type 'writeSettings' in plug-in 'servermgr_netboot.'

This definitely didn't happen in 10.7 and I've seen people on the Apple boards complain about this error for other stuff in the server.app. I've fixed permissions and the disk. Any ideas or am I boned until they fix this thing?
Why do you need to change settings on the AST sets? From what I understand they're fairly "special" and break half the time if you even change the ID. I just waited until AST was up to build my other NetBoot sets (DeployStudio, etc.).

Also, if you came by AST legally, why ask here and not the Apple team specifically for AST questions? They're good guys, and are pretty honest when things won't/can't work for some reason.

THE LUMMOX
Nov 29, 2004
Wow new iTunes has been so buggy for me.

1.) Spacebar no longer plays/pauses songs.

2.) I just can't import random mp3s anymore. I drag and drop them on the library and also go "Add to Library" in the file menu and nothing happens. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.

3.) I can't change "Media Type" to Podcast anymore. I change from Music to Podcast and click OK and nothing happens and as soon as I Get Info again it's reverted to Music.

I like the look but screw this. This is the first time in my like almost 20 years as an Apple user that a product I use everyday has been hosed up so badly for me in an update.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

Abel Wingnut posted:

For the last half year my Air's fan has been going nuts after about 30m of iTunes, Safari, and Twitter. I've checked Activity Monitor, only to find that the dock is using anywhere from 80% to 160% of the CPU. About two minutes after I end it, my computer acts normally.

Any ideas what might be causing this?
Wild guess would be some active dock icon thing going out of control, like loving up badge counts or changing icon or something. Or god knows what else cause the dock process controls a crapload of app and windowing functions which could make it hard to pin down what exactly is going on. If you have any interface hacks, not just dock stuff but anything like mouse stuff or window or app switcher things, I guess make sure those are up to date and/or don't have any known issues like that.

Coughing-up Tweed
Jun 12, 2006

io_burn posted:

This is a 15-inch, Early 2011 MacBook Pro. I just disabled hardware acceleration, it didn't do anything. If there's an active Chrome window open, gfxCardStatus shows it immediately switch to the discrete GPU. Currently using Chrome Version 23.0.1271.95

Chrome changed how it runs Flash fairly recently, from NPAPI to Google's Pepper API (PPAPI). I've had some GPU related crashes recently while watching flash videos, and switching Flash from PPAPI to NPAPI in chrome://plugins stopped them. That may fix your issue, too.

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Is there any way to set Skype to open to my contacts list instead of Skype Home?

noskill
Dec 6, 2012

OMCK

Laserface posted:

Is there any way to set Skype to open to my contacts list instead of Skype Home?

I believe it's the default now for version 6.0.0.2968.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Xenomorph posted:

In Keynote, when you save, it can be set to save the presentation in two formats at the same time.
Think of making something from scratch in PowerPoint, hitting the Save button, and it creating a PPT ~and~ PDF file. Instead of two files, it's a single file. We're not embedding a PDF, the program is creating a PDF.

This lets us make one presentation and then load it up on a computer or web browser. The PDF version lacks animation/sound/etc, but it matches a static presentation perfectly.

Keynote can also dump out a video file with predefined pauses at the slides, so you can just hit play over and over and get basically the full experience. Used to always make one as a backup in case whatever machine didn't have Keynote or something wasn't working right.