Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

Don't worry, Tyler Myers is holding it for you...

dms666 posted:

Just taking stuff out of your bag after playing is usually good enough to keep the smell down to almost nothing. I still try to wash all my pads at least 1-2 times a year.
I think it depends on the person. Some people just don't BO like others.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!
I never wash any of my gear. The occasional jersey, but never my gear. It's been 10 years with the same pads. It probably smells like death to anyone but me. That said: taking your gear out of the bag after skating definitely helps keep things bearable.

I live in an apartment with underground parking, so it's nice getting home from a game and just dropping everything outside my Jeep.

So Henrik Zetterberg and Dangerllama are in the neighborhood for the PBR Tournament where I live in February - anybody else going to be around?

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

Pleads posted:

How quaint, lil southern hockey players, aww so cwute :3:

I may have lived in the South for 10 years, but I learned the South owns, and I'm never moving back to the Northeast.

Offer void if a company backs a dump truck full of money up to my house.

coldwind posted:

I think it depends on the person. Some people just don't BO like others.

After even a 1 hour stick and puck I have soaked my shoulder pads. After games they are literally dripping with all the sweat of mine they've absorbed.

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
Some of my gear is like 12 years old, most if it is kinda smelly.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

JetsGuy posted:

After even a 1 hour stick and puck I have soaked my shoulder pads. After games they are literally dripping with all the sweat of mine they've absorbed.
Well, people's sweat has different composition. Also, some people have different flora on their skin and thus different bacteria swimming in their sweat. So, it's not just the amount.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

19 o'clock posted:

I never wash any of my gear. The occasional jersey, but never my gear. It's been 10 years with the same pads. It probably smells like death to anyone but me. That said: taking your gear out of the bag after skating definitely helps keep things bearable.

You are disgusting and playing with people like you is gross. I've had some teammates who I could smell sitting besides me on the bench, even in the refreshing cool air of an indoor rink. That's nasty.

Also you could get a serious, potentially lethal infection if you have an open cut anywhere near your bacterially endowed gear.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

eXXon posted:

You are disgusting and playing with people like you is gross. I've had some teammates who I could smell sitting besides me on the bench, even in the refreshing cool air of an indoor rink. That's nasty.

Also you could get a serious, potentially lethal infection if you have an open cut anywhere near your bacterially endowed gear.

That's a hell of a lot of hyperbole. I bet 95% or more rarely or never wash their gear. Airing your poo poo out takes care of most of the smell.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

eXXon posted:

Yeah...I don't know what to say. I never get any complaints and maybe I'm just lucky, eh? All in all I really ought to buy new pads so that may end up being the thrilling conclusion.

Gio
Jun 20, 2005

The guys that smell rank are the guys that never air their poo poo out. A friend of mine started playing ice a couple years ago, and my god, the dude never airs his poo poo out. I think he'd just be pissed if I said anything so I'm waiting for someone else to say something.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I pretty much always air my gear out IMMEDIATELY when I get home. I have found, however, that I have had to get air freshener for my guest room/office where my gear hangs in that closet.

robcat
Jan 31, 2005

JetsGuy posted:

Jesus Christ. Someone sent me the picture of the X-ray. Not only is it a clean break, but it looks like a big Y. Like there's a branch that goes UP the tibia. Holy gently caress.

How has no one asked you to post this yet?

Also, tried out skating for the first time since my own break and it went ok. I'll be slow(er) for the first few outings until I get some confidence back, but it felt like it came back to me pretty quickly once I got out there.

My usual gear routine is to take it all out of the bag and set it on my back deck to dry, then a day or two later when it finally has, it goes back into the bag and into my car or closet.

Anders
Nov 8, 2004

I'd rather score...

... but I'll grind it good for you
The best way to keep smell away from your gear is to do like us euros and float more.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Gio posted:

The guys that smell rank are the guys that never air their poo poo out. A friend of mine started playing ice a couple years ago, and my god, the dude never airs his poo poo out. I think he'd just be pissed if I said anything so I'm waiting for someone else to say something.

Go the passive aggressive route. Every time you step into the locker room and he's in there, demand to know where everyone hid the rotting corpse.

Eventually he'll be all "is he talking about me?" :tinfoil:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

This is kind of neat to watch:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rcc_LGXHYA&t=48s

Gopro's are pretty neat toys, maybe when I get good at hockey I should buy one.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

xzzy posted:

In contrast to videos on here, especially in the goalie thread, there was a guy in my inline league that wore one a few weeks ago. Pretty much everyone I saw that night was ripping on him, myself included. Perhaps it was because of the team he is on, or the type of player he is, but not everyone will welcome you with open arms.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Gio posted:

That's a hell of a lot of hyperbole. I bet 95% or more rarely or never wash their gear. Airing your poo poo out takes care of most of the smell.

It helps prevent your gear from getting smellier but even airing your stuff outside in subzero temperatures won't remove most of the odour. And you really should get your gear cleaned professionally every year or two, I found a place that does ozone treatment or something similar for $25 and it takes 30 minutes.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Free drop in hockey this month with non-perishable donation :woop:

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
My team won again tonight, bringing us to 6-3-3. They had the bad goalie so we won 7-4 (with 3 of their goals coming after we had backed off in the third). I only have two goals this season, but I'm actually feeling pretty good about the support role I've settled into. I'm pretty fast and I have long arms/a long stick, so I'm great for catching stray passes and chasing the puck down, but my shot is a bit weak and the left wingers tend to be weaker than the right wingers (and I play right) so I don't usually get good passes in front to just knock it in, so I'm much better for assists than goals.

Like tonight I brought it in from the blue line, shot it at the goalie, and recovered my rebound a little behind the goal line. The goalie was sprawled out, so I flipped it over him to a teammate right in front and she put it in the basically open net. I feel pretty good about it, even if I couldn't score on the weak goalie myself.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

xzzy posted:

Hockles and I are in the same boat. I don't believe I would think highly of someone wearing a GoPro on the ice. I have a friend on Facebook who consistently takes pictures of their hockey camp from the ice. I am always amazed that when heading out for practice she thinks, "Hey, better bring my camera out there!"

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Good players are one thing, this guy, is not.

Also, goalies get a pass, because, goalies.

19 o'clock
Sep 9, 2004

Excelsior!!!

Hockles posted:

Good players are one thing, this guy, is not.

Also, goalies get a pass, because, goalies.

My goalie wore a GoPro last game. My goalie can do whatever the gently caress he wants, though, in my opinion.

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Meh. Grumpy ninja delete.

waffle enthusiast fucked around with this message at 06:44 on Dec 6, 2012

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

robcat posted:

How has no one asked you to post this yet?

I was a little surprised it took so long for someone to ask. I'd not feel comfortable posting someone else's x-ray at the moment.

Sorry. :smith:

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

My new least favorite player: skating lazily through the neutral zone cherry picking while the puck is in our end and we're trying to kill a penalty.

I'm yelling at this dude from the bench "WE'RE ON THE loving KILL. PLAY SOME loving DEFENSE." I know he can hear me. He just doesn't want to listen.

Jesus Christ.

Vicas
Dec 9, 2009

Sweet tricks, mom.
Haha, what a dick. Especially when it's way easier to be effective and still get the puck out (and possibly even get a breakaway) just by playing level with the defensemen at the top of the box and harassing them, like you should be.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
Hey, I've got a question for those of you who know the subtleties of the rules better.

Most people know that dumping the puck from behind the midline so it crosses your opponents goal line is icing. Sometimes you'll hear this referred to as "the puck can't cross two red lines". This got me thinking. What about when a puck is dumped from behind your own goal line? So if you're really down low and dump the puck out so it crosses the mid-line, by the "two red line" convention, that's icing. In an extreme case where you really knock the poo poo out of the puck and manage to get it all the way across the rink, it would certainly be a conventional icing of sorts.

However, http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26494 seems to indicate that it WOULDN'T be icing.

Of course, there's no strategic advantage in dumping the puck like that, but it was just a thought I had.

So I guess the "question" part is just whether I got this right.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

JetsGuy posted:

Hey, I've got a question for those of you who know the subtleties of the rules better.

Most people know that dumping the puck from behind the midline so it crosses your opponents goal line is icing. Sometimes you'll hear this referred to as "the puck can't cross two red lines". This got me thinking. What about when a puck is dumped from behind your own goal line? So if you're really down low and dump the puck out so it crosses the mid-line, by the "two red line" convention, that's icing. In an extreme case where you really knock the poo poo out of the puck and manage to get it all the way across the rink, it would certainly be a conventional icing of sorts.

However, http://www.nhl.com/ice/page.htm?id=26494 seems to indicate that it WOULDN'T be icing.

Of course, there's no strategic advantage in dumping the puck like that, but it was just a thought I had.

So I guess the "question" part is just whether I got this right.

That would be ludicrous. That's not icing; the puck has to cross your opponent's goal line for icing to be called.

In the old NHL, though, that would be illegal if someone on your own team touched the puck after it crossed the red line. We used to call that the two line pass, but now twolinepass is just a bitter goon (flames fan, poor guy) who writes for puck daddy.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

If I ever brought a video cam for me playing goalie for floor hockey I'd tell everyone I lost a bet.

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
I grabbed one of the contour roam cameras they are blowing out now and have worn it during a few pickup/clinic games. No one seems to mind- but then again we all know each other and the final score doesn't matter much. I'm sure that if I wore it in a league game it would be like painting an elbow target on my helmet.

Thufir
May 19, 2004

"The fucking Mayans were right."
I have a GoPro and wore it when we played a friendly scrimmage at Bridgestone arena and everyone seemed cool with it but I wouldn't wear it in a game for kinda the reasons posted above. I guess I might use it during drop in at some point.

cenzo
Dec 5, 2003

'roux mad?
We have one guy who occasionally comes out to open who wears a gopro. He's on the local inline pro team, and his videos are him putting the heel of his blade on the puck and just maneuvering around everyone, or at least trying to. People have learned when he does this to just lift his stick.

He gets chirped at the entire 2 hour session.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Whole lotta opinions about recording hockey in here! :manning:

I don't really see any value in strapping a gopro to my helmet and recording two hours of amateur hockey play, but screwing around with putting the camera in weird spots and seeing the game from different angles could be fun. The stickhandling clip with the gopro mounted on the stick shaft, for example, was pretty neat.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...
I use a GoPro in net from time to time. No one seems to be bothered by it and honestly, the in net footage is a very useful way to find flaws in my game. A lot of the time it backs up, what I noticed during the game, but it really helps to see what I did wrong or right in certain situations. Maybe it has more of an application for goalies than other positions. I normally use it for open hockey, but I'll use it for a league game every once in a while. I also have a suction cup mount, but I only use that for open hockey or private games and that angle is great for looking at positioning whereas the net cam helps a lot with studying footwork.

I've only seen a player wear a GoPro once. It was at a game at we played at Jobbing.com Arena. He had a helmet cam and I had a camera in net, I really wanted to get his footage, since it would have been cool to have two different perspectives on the ice, but I never heard back from him. I have had a lot of players ask me about the camera though, they all seem to like it and are surprised that a camera can hold up in net.

Aniki fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 6, 2012

lizardking
Feb 5, 2010

Hail to the fucking Victors

coldwind posted:

My new least favorite player: skating lazily through the neutral zone cherry picking while the puck is in our end and we're trying to kill a penalty.

I'm yelling at this dude from the bench "WE'RE ON THE loving KILL. PLAY SOME loving DEFENSE." I know he can hear me. He just doesn't want to listen.

Jesus Christ.

I hear our skill levels increased this season :smug: (referring to the renaming of the leagues haha)

7lip
Mar 25, 2009

Don't tell me the moon is shining; show me the glint of light on broken glass.
Attachin a camera to your lid seems like a sure fire way to get your teeth knocked out.. And on a goalie a sure fire way to get clappers to the face all day.

Bradf0rd
Jun 16, 2008

Agent of Chaos

Aniki posted:

I use a GoPro in net from time to time. No one seems to be bothered by it and honestly, the in net footage is a very useful way to find flaws in my game. A lot of the time it backs up, what I noticed during the game, but it really helps to see what I did wrong or right in certain situations. Maybe it has more of an application for goalies than other positions. I normally use it for open hockey, but I'll use it for a league game every once in a while. I also have a suction cup mount, but I only use that for open hockey or private games and that angle is great for looking at positioning whereas the net cam helps a lot with studying footwork.

This is what I use mine for as well. It's a nice thing to see to work on my game without having someone sit there and just record me from the stands. I've actually had other goalies in the league notice it and ask me for the footage from it when they're on that end of the ice.

7lip posted:

Attachin a camera to your lid seems like a sure fire way to get your teeth knocked out.. And on a goalie a sure fire way to get clappers to the face all day.

It's not sitting on my mask, it's in the back of the net. Most people don't even notice it.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Not getting all the hate for the cameras. Who cares? I've never seen someone with a helmet cam during drop-in or a league game, but I see some goalies set up a camera behind the glass on occasion.

I can see how it would be useful to help analyze your positioning and whatnot for goalies. If I used one as a skater, it would probably be a boring watch since I probably stare down at my feet more than not.

Aniki
Mar 21, 2001

Wouldn't fit...

Bradf0rd posted:

This is what I use mine for as well. It's a nice thing to see to work on my game without having someone sit there and just record me from the stands. I've actually had other goalies in the league notice it and ask me for the footage from it when they're on that end of the ice.

Exactly, it's a great learning tool and it's a lot easier and honestly better to put a GoPro in the net, than trying to get someone to come out to the rink and film you.

quote:

It's not sitting on my mask, it's in the back of the net. Most people don't even notice it.

titanium messed around with using a helmet cam and while it's a cool perspective, mounting the camera inside the net or on the glass is a much more useful perspective for evaluating your game. I've never mounted the camera on my helmet, but like Bradf0rd said, when the camera is in the net shooters either don't even notice it or think its cool.

coldwind
Apr 8, 2007

lizardking posted:

I hear our skill levels increased this season :smug: (referring to the renaming of the leagues haha)
Sure did. Really quickly, too. I guess they tried to align better with the other leagues in the area.

I hope that means my teammates will suddenly play with better awareness and communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Not getting all the hate for the cameras. Who cares? I've never seen someone with a helmet cam during drop-in or a league game

See someone skating around with one strapped to their chest/helmet and see if you understand then. It is so dumb.

Hitting the camera is the new knocking the water bottle off of the top of the net.

Bradford you better figure out how to mount it for Lake Placid. When we get back to the house mount it on the end of the rye bottle