Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Jacks_Colon posted:

http://youtubedoubler.com/5XEC

I thought this might help enrich the experience.

:stare: Jesus gently caress!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coulis
Feb 22, 2009

<:haw:>

Jacks_Colon posted:

http://youtubedoubler.com/5XEC

I thought this might help enrich the experience.

Ha ha, you monster.

Creepy Goat
Sep 19, 2010

My cat has a nicer place to poo poo than that. At least he put newspaper down, got to have some dignity I guess.

Speleothing
May 6, 2008

Spare batteries are pretty key.

I like how he's set up his hovel inside the bend of those water pipes. I wonder if the elp keep him warm, or just add a sense of space.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

I like plates and lizards.
e: misfire

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
The area around the bucket and box of chicken bones is the living room.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

waste of internet posted:

The area around the bucket and box of chicken bones is the living room.

The attic is the rest of the house.

On Terra Firma
Feb 12, 2008

AuntBuck posted:

I don't know why I saved this picture of klerck's gaming space.

jesus gently caress these people exist.

I was in this thread last night and I literally cleaned my whole house top to bottom. I even brushed my cat.

Profanity
Aug 26, 2005
Grimey Drawer

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

oh my loving god that is literally a crawlspace

What in the everliving gently caress? Why? How? I have so many questions, but I'm pretty sure I don't want to know the answers (where do you piss and poo poo in a living situation like that?).
Jesus Christ, that is pretty much a Shallow Grave situation. He'll be drilling holes next.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

I'm already a total neat freak, so this thread prompted me to do the only cleaning I could justify, so I made my bed. Just for the want of cleaning.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

sentientcarbon posted:

A successful anime franchise must be one of the most disgustingly profitable things in the world. So much drat merchandise...and the standards for writing are so low...

I gotta get me an illustrator so I can start printing money from shut-ins.

And this thread has inspired me to clean my already-clean home. I still feel itchy from those roach videos.

Actually, anime things always move very little merchandise because the anime industry has a weird Japanese way of thinking about business. This business model also partially explains why you get these anime waifu lairs: there was never any attempt at trying to sell anything to anyone who wouldn't build an incomprehensible moe-moe shrine.

What they do is calculate how many people there are that are guaranteed customers, who'll purchase their anime and related merchandise no matter what. Usually this comes out to a few thousand. They figure out how much money they want to make and divide this number by the former number and set this to the unit price. This unit price is guaranteed to be disgustingly high and completely prohibitive to anyone other than insane people with disposable incomes, but there was never any interest in selling to anyone but insane people with disposable incomes.

There is no effort to model their businesses on supply-and-demand principles or to truly diversify by bringing in new customers in any appreciable quantity. Making accessible shows that the general public would enjoy, or more importantly, want to spend money on, is rarely or never done. Incidentally, the whole Japanese home video industry works like this; prices are set at outrageous price-points assuming only the guaranteed customers will buy. Anime tends to fail outside of Japan because the Japanese licensors try to force the same business model on licensees whose customers come from a culture that assumes that maybe a normal person would want to buy a blu-ray or something every once in a while; so even say, American crazies wouldn't be willing to pay such outrageous prices. If the licensee actually manages to set a reasonable price for their market you suddenly get a huge amount of Japanese people reverse importing that version of the anime thing back into Japan (animes always have the original audio tracks) and then the licensor accuses the licensee of undercutting them, so they take their ball and go home.

It's idiotic and unsustainable and depends upon a niche of shut-ins having practically unlimited coin, forever. tl;dr- Anime moves fairly little merchandise, but it moves it all to the same crazy people, who then post pictures of that merchandise online for threads like this to laugh at. This is How Anime Works.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.

Falls Down Stairs posted:

Actually, anime things always move very little merchandise because the anime industry has a weird Japanese way of thinking about business. This business model also partially explains why you get these anime waifu lairs: there was never any attempt at trying to sell anything to anyone who wouldn't build an incomprehensible moe-moe shrine.

What they do is calculate how many people there are that are guaranteed customers, who'll purchase their anime and related merchandise no matter what. Usually this comes out to a few thousand. They figure out how much money they want to make and divide this number by the former number and set this to the unit price. This unit price is guaranteed to be disgustingly high and completely prohibitive to anyone other than insane people with disposable incomes, but there was never any interest in selling to anyone but insane people with disposable incomes.

There is no effort to model their businesses on supply-and-demand principles or to truly diversify by bringing in new customers in any appreciable quantity. Making accessible shows that the general public would enjoy, or more importantly, want to spend money on, is rarely or never done. Incidentally, the whole Japanese home video industry works like this; prices are set at outrageous price-points assuming only the guaranteed customers will buy. Anime tends to fail outside of Japan because the Japanese licensors try to force the same business model on licensees whose customers come from a culture that assumes that maybe a normal person would want to buy a blu-ray or something every once in a while; so even say, American crazies wouldn't be willing to pay such outrageous prices. If the licensee actually manages to set a reasonable price for their market you suddenly get a huge amount of Japanese people reverse importing that version of the anime thing back into Japan (animes always have the original audio tracks) and then the licensor accuses the licensee of undercutting them, so they take their ball and go home.

It's idiotic and unsustainable and depends upon a niche of shut-ins having practically unlimited coin, forever. tl;dr- Anime moves fairly little merchandise, but it moves it all to the same crazy people, who then post pictures of that merchandise online for threads like this to laugh at. This is How Anime Works.

Wow, that is loving insane.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Falls Down Stairs posted:

If the licensee actually manages to set a reasonable price for their market you suddenly get a huge amount of Japanese people reverse importing that version of the anime thing back into Japan (animes always have the original audio tracks) and then the licensor accuses the licensee of undercutting them, so they take their ball and go home.

And recently, some companies have tried to make countermeasures against this, such as in the region-locking of the international version of Persona 4 Arena, even on PS3. Also, Sentai Filmworks, the company that licensed the Persona 4 anime, had to take the Japanese language track off the blu-ray release of the anime.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and argue that it's a good business practice to assume that sane, average people would not be interested in a vinyl figurine of a busty pre-teen with magical powers and blue hair who is spread-eagled and also you can remove her panties.

Tardcore
Jan 24, 2011

Not cool enough for the Spider-man club.

little munchkin posted:

I'm gonna play devil's advocate here and argue that it's a good business practice to assume that sane, average people would not be interested in a vinyl figurine of a busty pre-teen with magical powers and blue hair who is spread-eagled and also you can remove her panties.

I get the feeling the whole reason your example there exists is becuase of that market in the first place. They didn't make Doko No Sex Maid 3 and then said "Ok time to get obsessive weirdos to buy our stuff." they thought "Ok we need to make huge bank off obsessive weirdos." then made Cat Girl:Sex Panties Gaiden.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

little munchkin posted:

Man how you gonna remove panties offa solid vinyl figurine with open legs? They'll stretch or rip! You haven't thought this through !!

Crustashio
Jul 27, 2000

ruh roh

I scrolled past that about 20 times before realizing there isn't a cutout in the ground behind the pipes and all the stuff back there is just sitting on the dirt. gently caress.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Man how you gonna remove panties offa solid vinyl figurine with open legs? They'll stretch or rip! You haven't thought this through !!

That's why a true fan buys the solid vinyl figurine with open legs and panties and its without-panties variant. I might have to quit paying mom my part of the rent but it's worth it!

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

NoneMoreNegative posted:

You rip them off and have to buy new ones for 45$ each. Anime companies, please do this and give me 10% thanks in advance do not steal.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

Crustashio posted:

I scrolled past that about 20 times before realizing there isn't a cutout in the ground behind the pipes and all the stuff back there is just sitting on the dirt. gently caress.

That poor sap didn't even get a plastic vapor barrier to live on, which in my experience means he's sleeping in cat AND rat poop and piss. Cat's don't like to piss on plastic vapor barriers, so with plastic down he'd only be sleeping in rat poop and piss.

Moral of the story folks, don't ever let your life get so bad that sleeping in a crawlspace seems like a viable alternative.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

platedlizard posted:

That poor sap didn't even get a plastic vapor barrier to live on, which in my experience means he's sleeping in cat AND rat poop and piss. Cat's don't like to piss on plastic vapor barriers, so with plastic down he'd only be sleeping in rat poop and piss.

Moral of the story folks, don't ever let your life get so bad that sleeping in a crawlspace seems like a viable alternative.

How did even get all that crap down there? I can't imagine a crawlspace like that has a very big opening to get in. Does he have to crawl in the dirt anytime he wants to get into his hovel? So many questions.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

ExplodingSims posted:

How did even get all that crap down there? I can't imagine a crawlspace like that has a very big opening to get in. Does he have to crawl in the dirt anytime he wants to get into his hovel? So many questions.

Now, I want you to imagine this guy living below the floorboards of this fine fellow: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=400874084

quote:

My house is made of floating wood tile, and when I have to pee (I'm male) I get face down on the floor and stick my penis in a hole on the wood floor and pee. My dogs sleep under the house so everytime I do this I hope they don't bite or lick my junk.

platedlizard
Aug 31, 2012

ExplodingSims posted:

Eh, I can see it, I've gotten bigger/more awkward crap into a crawlspace. Mind, it was always stuff that belonged in a crawlspace, like support beams, rolls of insulation, etc, but still. There's usually a man-sized hole you can crawl through, and after that it's a matter of reassembling poo poo.

reflir
Oct 29, 2004

So don't. Stay here with me.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Not if they're made of vinyl, split in half and can be clicked together like lego bricks. You're not thinking like an otaku, friend. Take a longer look at these pictures.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

The story I heard about this one is that it's in a tiny house (or apartment or something) and the guy's wife (or girlfriend or something) didn't want a visible computer in the lounge and there was nowhere else to put it, so he built a cabinet for it to go in, and used it with the door open. So it's more of a fold-away computer desk than a weird fortress of solitude. All in all not an ideal solution, but not the worst thing.

I believed that until just now, when I saw the handles on the inside of the door and the stains on the floor.

Constant Hamprince
Oct 24, 2010

by exmarx
College Slice

AlphaDog posted:

I believed that until just now, when I saw the handles on the inside of the door and the stains on the floor.

It's possible that the stains are just water from melted snow, seeing as how the floor of the room its in is tiled. That's what I choose to believe.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

The Saddest Rhino posted:

Now, I want you to imagine this guy living below the floorboards of this fine fellow: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?action=showpost&postid=400874084

It's pretty common for old houses to have a little knothole or two in the original wood floors. You're supposed to have insulation underneath your floor, though, so it doesn't have climate controlled air or bugs passing through it.

Woffle
Jul 23, 2007

rt4 posted:

It's pretty common for old houses to have a little knothole or two in the original wood floors. You're supposed to have insulation underneath your floor, though, so it doesn't have climate controlled air or bugs passing through it.

Or penises.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

rt4 posted:

Forget the insulation, I'm wondering why there isn't a freakin' sub-floor.

Even older homes had a layer of crummy wood as the base layer nailed to the floor joists, and then the nicer-looking, sanded, stained, etc... wood on top.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I'll have to check to be sure, but I don't think mine does. It was built in 1895, whatever significance that carries.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Lonely Virgil posted:

That is not marmite on that trash can, is it? :stare:

A can full of roaches in a hoarder's home;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=RLY66rquSTg#t=68s

This is horrifying :stonk:

I live in Florida so it's basically impossible to avoid a roach here and there no matter how clean your keep things.

I am utterly terrified of them. I don't know if it's an outright phobia but I can't handle them. I had to deal with one the other night and you'd think I was trying deal with a crazy guy with a knife the way I dealt with it (thank god for having a cat who kept hunting it and eventually chased it around to a spot where I could kill it).

This video is worse than anything else posted in this thread. What. the. gently caress. Imagine being the neighbors of that family

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

Yeah, roaches/large insects in general make me glad I live in Scotland, where the worst we need to deal with in our homes is the occasional house spider or cleg.

waste of internet
Sep 13, 2012

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I can't begin to imagine what an Australian hoarder experiences, as far as infestations go.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Dingos, I guess

Inpossible
Oct 9, 2012

Common brushtail possums, I believe.

grumplestiltzkin
Jun 7, 2012

Ass, gas, or grass. No one rides for free.

Macaluso posted:

I live in Florida so it's basically impossible to avoid a roach here and there no matter how clean your keep things.

I am utterly terrified of them. I don't know if it's an outright phobia but I can't handle them. I had to deal with one the other night and you'd think I was trying deal with a crazy guy with a knife the way I dealt with it (thank god for having a cat who kept hunting it and eventually chased it around to a spot where I could kill it).

This video is worse than anything else posted in this thread. What. the. gently caress. Imagine being the neighbors of that family

I'm in the same boat. I've lived in FL my entire life, but I've also had cats my entire life. I'm seriously considering getting a cat in my new place just to have it serve as a bug detterent. gently caress roaches.

Rambling Robot
Sep 13, 2011
Duggar Fan Club Superstar #1 LOL

Macaluso posted:

youtubedoubler:
Extreme Roach Infestation | Hoarding - Buried Alive vs. Nine Inch Nails - Help Me I Am In Hell*:

http://youtubedoubler.com/5Yzm

(*not the official NSFW version, however thematically these videos also fit perfectly)

Faerunner
Dec 31, 2007

DrBouvenstein posted:

Forget the insulation, I'm wondering why there isn't a freakin' sub-floor.

Even older homes had a layer of crummy wood as the base layer nailed to the floor joists, and then the nicer-looking, sanded, stained, etc... wood on top.

1920s house in Pittsburgh here, no insulation, no subfloor, just quarter sawn oak floorboards.

Booblord Zagats
Oct 30, 2011

Pork Pro
This isn't a thread, it's just a pitch meeting for the Law and Order:SVU set designers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

Jelly?

• Locked thread