Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

ynotony posted:

Totally, just wondering what the niche would be for a 3 series coupe. The niche for the Gran Coupes is very obvious (unique body style, more exclusive, more luxurious), but a 3 coupe? The 4 already matches the 3 in terms of luxury and size, the 4 is already a coupe, so how could a 3 coupe possibly differentiate itself from a 4? Or were you just being tongue and cheek and I'm being a smartass?

BMW says they are functional...

...But if they really were that functional, wouldn't they be on all their cars?

Hmmm if I understand BMW's quote right,
"This EfficientDynamics feature channels the incoming air around the outside of the wheels, ensuring the airflow "hugs" the wheel arches and fuel consumption is noticeably reduced as a consequence."
then the appliques function in that they stick out from the body, not as vents.
I actually wasn't aware that they do have some function--the body-hugging feature that the quote describes.
Or am I misreading the quote and it's saying they are indeed vents?

BMW has a history of making non-functioning fender vents--the M3s, the M5s and a few others.

edit: I just looked at the press release http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=775876
The "EfficientDynamics" refers to elements of the front bumper's functionality, not the side vent-looking fender bits.

quote:

The Air Breather, an aerodynamically effective aperture behind the front wheels, offers another pointer to the sophisticated aerodynamics of the BMW Concept 4 Series Coupe. It draws a dynamic path between the two light surfaces of the car's flanks, replicating the prominent form of the stylistic front-end elements.

It looks like they are claiming the side bits are functional though, by calling them "Air Breathers." They don't explicitly say whether or not they vent air, only that they somehow help the front air curtain.

quackman fucked around with this message at 18:39 on Dec 6, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So a few news sites are pointing out that in addition to GM renewing the trademarks on the T-Type, Grand National and the GNX, they have also renewed the El Camino.

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Rhyno posted:

So a few news sites are pointing out that in addition to GM renewing the trademarks on the T-Type, Grand National and the GNX, they have also renewed the El Camino.

Not to rain on your parade, but that really doesn't mean anything. Companies renew old trademarks all the time, sometimes so they can use them again down the road if they want to, but often just so no one else can.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

2ndclasscitizen posted:

Not to rain on your parade, but that really doesn't mean anything. Companies renew old trademarks all the time, sometimes so they can use them again down the road if they want to, but often just so no one else can.

It appears they hadn't had the El Camino TMed for over 12 years so it might mean something. Also GM's already announced that they are looking at making a few performance Buick models.

So I'm gonna go ahead be optimistic.

quackman
Jan 25, 2004
Chapstick

Rhyno posted:

It appears they hadn't had the El Camino TMed for over 12 years so it might mean something. Also GM's already announced that they are looking at making a few performance Buick models.

So I'm gonna go ahead be optimistic.

Yeah, plus they can just use the Holden that's already being sold. In 2008 they even showed a Pontiac version at the NY Auto Show.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

The problem is there's a 25% tarriff on light trucks imported into the US. Ford gets around it with the transit connect by shipping them over here with seats and seatbelts, and then pulling the seats out to sell it as a cargo van. That's not really an option with the ute, and if the sedan comes in at 30 grand, i doubt many people would pay 37000 for the ute.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Powershift posted:

The problem is there's a 25% tarriff on light trucks imported into the US. Ford gets around it with the transit connect by shipping them over here with seats and seatbelts, and then pulling the seats out to sell it as a cargo van. That's not really an option with the ute, and if the sedan comes in at 30 grand, i doubt many people would pay 37000 for the ute.

Hey, that's the reason the Brat had those shoddy little jump seats in the back. Maybe they can try doing that again.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Cream_Filling posted:

Hey, that's the reason the Brat had those shoddy little jump seats in the back. Maybe they can try doing that again.

or like that one bertone pickup that had seats that flipped out of the bed. i'll see if i can find it, but i came up empty last time.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

oRenj9 posted:

A lot truck owners appreciate that their vehicle is understated in spite of its cost. Ford tried this very idea with Lincoln and at didn't fare too well. I wouldn't think that the Germans could succeed in this market if Ford couldn't.

This is very correct; in Canada the most popular vehicle among millionaires is the F-150. I live in western Canada and work in finance, even in this industry full-size trucks are incredibly popular.

Nitrox posted:

When it comes to the daily grind, and I mean being used as a truck, not driving Joe Accountant to his office job, they don't come close to Ford/GM/Toyota offerings.

Nobody who seriously uses their truck buys a Toyota or Nissan. Tacomas and Frontiers have a place but the Tundra and Titan simply cannot compete with the American full-size trucks for any hard use.

As to the RAM, they're more popular in Canada than they are in America but I still can't think of much reason to buy one over a Ford or GM product unless you just have to have the mini-semi style.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Wheeee posted:

As to the RAM, they're more popular in Canada than they are in America but I still can't think of much reason to buy one over a Ford or GM product unless you just have to have the mini-semi style.

Or what is (still) the best diesel on the market. Too bad the transmission doesn't match up (though I've heard that this year Ram is using rebadged Allison transmissions now - is this correct?)

Friar Zucchini
Aug 6, 2010

Does it help that the Ram Fitteen Hunnert got some kind of award or something?

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1302_2013_truck_of_the_year_ram_1500/

Left Ventricle
Feb 24, 2006

Right aorta
The US has a trade agreement with Australia, so anything imported from there isn't subject to the chicken tax. Why would GM even have considered the G8 ST if the chicken tax applied?

OrganizedEntropy
Jun 17, 2005
Carnot Can Kiss My Ass

Friar Zucchini posted:

It's pretty much a revolving door for the Motor Trend truck of the year competitions based on the newest truck (or most recent upgrade/redesign) available at the time. As well, based on the fact that the pickup updates from the different companies are never released at the same time, they never truly compete against each other. The new GM trucks will probably be a shoe-in to win next year as they are being released in mid 2013.

If you look at the winners for the past few years, you can see they are effectively trading wins based on their update schedule. Plus, a person really needs to look at some of the contenders each year..in 2012 it was the Ram HD, Nissan NV van and Toyota Tacoma. This year it was the Nissan NV 3500 and the F150. For the last few years, they just need to call the award the 'Newest Full Size Domestic Pickup Currently Available At Time Of Competition Award".

2013 - Ram 1500
2012 - F150 (The new engine lineup)
2011 - Silverado HD
2010 - Ram HD
2009 - F150
2008 - Tundra
2007 - Silverado 1500
2006 - Ridgeline...seriously?!

Seriously though, the 2013 Ram 1500 is a very, very slick truck. I'm currently driving a 2009 Silverado 1500 and am waiting for the new GM's to be shown next week, but I wouldn't have any issues driving the Ram around.

OrganizedEntropy fucked around with this message at 06:51 on Dec 7, 2012

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

Left Ventricle posted:

The US has a trade agreement with Australia, so anything imported from there isn't subject to the chicken tax. Why would GM even have considered the G8 ST if the chicken tax applied?

The Commodore ute is significantly cheaper than the sedan/wagon in Australia too - would be interesting to see if that carried over.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
This is quite a thing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=32kK7lQZSks

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So would this be the right thread to talk about potential future models? Today I test drove a Focus ST and I loving love the car. But before I trade in my Mazdaspeed6 I want to know, what are the chances of Ford releasing an even more powerful Focus RS in the US?

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Rhyno posted:

So would this be the right thread to talk about potential future models? Today I test drove a Focus ST and I loving love the car. But before I trade in my Mazdaspeed6 I want to know, what are the chances of Ford releasing an even more powerful Focus RS in the US?

Slim.

Keep in mind that the RS will probably look absolutely ridiculous, be stiff as a board and uncomfortable as hell to live with.

Elwood P. Dowd
Oct 13, 2005

Jimmy Stewart would approve

OrganizedEntropy posted:

2006 - Ridgeline...seriously?!

I mean, I understand why the ridgeline doesn't get much respect as a TRUCK but as far as trucks go it is about the perfect truck for a certain niche into which my wife and I fit. Mostly the "she oversees a large girl scout camp and needs capacity outside of the cabin of her vehicle to carry stuff and we also like to go kayaking and camping and things with our friends and I like to go four-wheeling and things and we don't have any space for a trailer on our tiny lot in the city" demographic.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

KozmoNaut posted:

Slim.

Keep in mind that the RS will probably look absolutely ridiculous, be stiff as a board and uncomfortable as hell to live with.

That and mild tuning on the ST should satisfy most power needs. I wonder if it'll get to the point where the e-diff will always be fighting with the extra wheelspinning and give your brake pads shorter life.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"

KozmoNaut posted:

Slim.

I know a guy that has a Mini GP and its sprung so tight the windshield cracked going over a pothole. Hes trying to sell it asap because its such a punishing ride. I know a similar story but a much older gentleman with a 996 GT2. Yet another guy almost bought an evo VIII RS but decided not to after a long test drive gave him a migraine the rest of the day.

So, DONT buy race cars that happen to be street legal DO buy a Focus ST and let me drive it.

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

Rhyno posted:

Nomad, too.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

Xguard86 posted:

I know a guy that has a Mini GP and its sprung so tight the windshield cracked going over a pothole. Hes trying to sell it asap because its such a punishing ride. I know a similar story but a much older gentleman with a 996 GT2.

Really? I thought the GT2 was just basically a 911 with a fuckoff turbo slapped on. I'm sure it's got some beefed up suspension bits, but I always figured the GT3 to be the road-legal race car. If that happened to a GT2 I can't imagine with a GT3 would be like as a DD.

Xguard86
Nov 22, 2004

"You don't understand his pain. Everywhere he goes he sees women working, wearing pants, speaking in gatherings, voting. Surely they will burn in the white hot flames of Hell"
the GT2 didn't crack a windshield it was just uncomfortable as hell and had no sound deadening so the exhaust drone was like...lovecraftian. It also had no TC or computer aids so driving in anything outside pristine weather was fairly dangerous.

I've never owned these cars but I would def buy a JCW mini, focus ST, or 911 Turbo over their faster more brutal cousins.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

The Midniter posted:

Really? I thought the GT2 was just basically a 911 with a fuckoff turbo slapped on.

In the continuum of "boring car - sports car - race car" they're just over the edge into "race car" because of all the stuff they rip out and change to make it better for racing.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

The Midniter posted:

Really? I thought the GT2 was just basically a 911 with a fuckoff turbo slapped on. I'm sure it's got some beefed up suspension bits, but I always figured the GT3 to be the road-legal race car. If that happened to a GT2 I can't imagine with a GT3 would be like as a DD.

No, the GT2 is a GT3 with a fuckoff turbo strapped on, hence the thing being a total loonmobile.

blk
Dec 19, 2009

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Sounds like a Lotus Elise. Under 2000 pounds, no sound deadening, no features to speak of, passenger seat is bolted straight to the floor with no carpet, no mats, etc. Sounds like an awesome car to drive for a weekend or two, but seems painful for anything other than a 2nd or 3rd car.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Bovril Delight posted:

Sounds like a Lotus Elise. Under 2000 pounds, no sound deadening, no features to speak of, passenger seat is bolted straight to the floor with no carpet, no mats, etc. Sounds like an awesome car to drive for a weekend or two, but seems painful for anything other than a 2nd or 3rd car.

I like to think you're taking about the previa :v:

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cakefool posted:

I like to think you're taking about the previa :v:

...mid engine, supercharged, Toyota reliability :)

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

Bovril Delight posted:

I daresay there aren't too many people daily driving a 911 GT2, just because the market segment who can only afford one double-duty car is not likely to be able to afford a GT2. Though a surprising number of GT3s are driving around, though.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Hasn't the entire ethos of Porsche always been that you can daily-drive something with supercar performance, though?

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

InitialDave posted:

Hasn't the entire ethos of Porsche always been that you can daily-drive something with supercar performance, though?
The functionality of a "daily-driveable supercar" all goes away when you rip out everything that makes a 911 comfortable in the quest for higher racing performance. The reliability is still there (for the most part), but that's about it.

Most 911s are a compromise between luxury, performance, comfort, convenience and price, and Porsche offers an insanely long list of ala carte options. Race cars don't have air conditioning or radios or sound deadening or heated/ventilated auto-adjusting seats, remote electric fuel cap locks, etc. Sure, some of that stuff is just heavy fluff, and you can get rid of it, and tune up what's left, and get a GT3. Go a step further, and it's a GT3 RS. Oddly enough, many of which still have AC and a radio and tons of other goodies; you need a GT3 Cup or GT3 RSR to have an off-the-lot pure racing 911. Add a turbo, and you've got a GT2. They all have RWD because the racing series' they were built to require it.

What tears me up is to go on the Porsche forums and listen to old men complain about how their suspension is too stiff and tires make too much noise and GET A BENTLEY OR SOMETHING YOU rear end in a top hat. But, they're the kind of people who actually buy new 911s... so... welcome the new 991 Turbo!

e: what GIS called a Turbo appears to actually be a Carrera S, but you get the point

grover fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Dec 8, 2012

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

InitialDave posted:

The entire ethos of Porsche is a midsize SUV that can be optioned with leather covered heater vents.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Friar Zucchini posted:

drat, the Sport Quad Cab is more than a full second in the 1/4 slower than my 05 Regular Cab. Never make a 4x4 Quad Cab and call it a "Sport", Big 3. You look like fools.

In any case, I've owned my Ram for 7 years and all I've ever had to do was routine maintenance on it. They've only improved the breed, too. Ford makes some decent trucks, but the Ram has been the best thing going in the segment for a few years now.

Elwood P. Dowd posted:

I mean, I understand why the ridgeline doesn't get much respect as a TRUCK but as far as trucks go it is about the perfect truck for a certain niche into which my wife and I fit. Mostly the "she oversees a large girl scout camp and needs capacity outside of the cabin of her vehicle to carry stuff and we also like to go kayaking and camping and things with our friends and I like to go four-wheeling and things and we don't have any space for a trailer on our tiny lot in the city" demographic.

It has treads built into the bedliner, basically letting everyone know that you can haul your toys to the trails. Anyone who buys a Ridgeline thinking that the truck itself is more than transportation or a toy doesn't really get what the Ridgeline was designed for. It's a casual light truck, not a contractors battle wagon, and it does exactly what it was designed to do. It's going to get you into and out of the woods, pick up the kids, haul a deer carcass or some lumber. It's not going to tow a fifth wheel or have an anti-aircraft gun fitted to it in a Middle Eastern civil war.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 8, 2012

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

grover posted:

e: what GIS called a Turbo appears to actually be a Carrera S, but you get the point

Are those silver buttons on the wheel in lieu of paddle shifters? I can't imagine ever getting used to changing gears with a button if so.

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

davebo posted:

Are those silver buttons on the wheel in lieu of paddle shifters? I can't imagine ever getting used to changing gears with a button if so.
Those are the standard PDK shift buttons. Paddle shifters are an optional extra. Alternately, you can grab the shifter and use it to adjust gears too (you can see the +/- on it in this photo). Even if automatic mode, pressing the buttons gives instant temporary manual control over the transmission. The computer is really loving good at picking the right gears for any speed, and is so fast that it doesn't even need to anticipate; because the gear shifts are so fast, it can figure driver intention out from brake, gas and steering input and instantly react. Walter Rohrl said his own 'ring times were identical on a PDK Porsche Turbo whether he selected PDK gears manually or left the computer pick (both of which were much faster than the manual transmission Porsche Turbo.)

grover fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Dec 8, 2012

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

grover posted:

Those are the standard PDK shift buttons. Paddle shifters are an optional extra. Alternately, you can grab the shifter and use it to adjust gears too (you can see the +/- on it in this photo). Even if automatic mode, pressing the buttons gives instant temporary manual control over the transmission. The computer is really loving good at picking the right gears for any speed, and is so fast that it doesn't even need to anticipate; because the gear shifts are so far, it can figure driver intention out from driver brake, gas and steering input and instantly react. Walter Rohrl said his own 'ring times were identical on a PDK Porsche Turbo whether he selected PDK gears manually or left the computer pick (both of which were much faster than the manual transmission Porsche Turbo.)

I have a feeling in the near, or very near future, automatic transmissions are just going to completely outclass manual shifting because computers are a lot better at doing that poo poo than humans are.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

Bob NewSCART posted:

I have a feeling in the near, or very near future, automatic transmissions are just going to completely outclass manual shifting because computers are a lot better at doing that poo poo than humans are.

..like steering, accelerating, and braking? :can:

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW

Bob NewSCART posted:

Near future? It happened like 5 years ago. Just taking a bit of time for the market to fully adopt it. Rising gas prices are helping to push things along, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Bob NewSCART posted:

grover posted:

Near future? It happened like 5 years ago.
Never forget that the fact it's better by a given metric doesn't mean it's superior. A lot of people prefer manuals because they're more fun and involving.

The "time around a circuit" and "speed of shift" stuff gets trotted out almost constantly (and, nowadays, minor fuel economy improvements as well), but misses the point: It's only "better" if you consider it to be important. I'd rather have a manual in a sporty car, and there isn't any way an auto can make me change that opinion, because I want to shift the gears myself, and what I want is all that really matters. I don't care if a PDK 911 would be faster than a manual 911, I'd still want the manual one.

It's like saying the standard of ready meals will reach a point where no-one needs to cook anymore: It's irrelevant, a lot of people like cooking.