Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

haljordan posted:

Especially since Alabama would lose by 10 touchdowns to the shittiest NFL team.

I mean, even if we were to take the best organizations in each of their respective leagues and somehow compare the apples/oranges, it's an insane comment. Is he really going to compare the successes of Bama to the successes of the Yankees in MLB? Or the Habs in the NHL? Or 49ers/Steelers in the NFL? ManU in soccer?

I mean, Jesus Christ.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

JetsGuy posted:

I mean, even if we were to take the best organizations in each of their respective leagues and somehow compare the apples/oranges, it's an insane comment. Is he really going to compare the successes of Bama to the successes of the Yankees in MLB? Or the Habs in the NHL? Or 49ers/Steelers in the NFL? ManU in soccer?

I mean, Jesus Christ.

Lakers/Celtics in the NBA
UK Basketball
gently caress even Australia's cricket team

It's not even the best loving NCAAFB team historically

:psyduck:*1,000,000

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Dec 6, 2012

haljordan
Oct 22, 2004

the corpse of god is love.

Yeah I don't really understand what his criteria is for making this statement other than "BAMA #1!!!!"

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

haljordan posted:

Yeah I don't really understand what his criteria is for making this statement other than "BAMA #1!!!!"

the transitive property of football website really needs to extend cross-league so I could prove once and for all Alabama could beat, uh, the browns?

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

JetsGuy posted:

It's not even the best loving NCAAFB team historically

To be fair, it is a challenge to counter this claim without more than a little irony when one's alma mater hasn't claimed a championship in sixty-two years and is now an FBS school.

At any rate, it would be hard to make the alumni and students of said school any more smug than they already usually are.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

quote:

This post won't last long....but it is what it is....

I don't take kindly to being threatened and really....I am kind of stunned by the venom from Shmessy....Look...not wanting to start anything more....I wasn't out of line....Shmessy got butt hurt....oh well....

I just wish to say that I have had a great time keeping up on our Patriots over the past years....but the copied threat below just crossed a line with me....not even in my most deeply, drunken, stupors...would I send something like I received from Shmessy.....I'm probably violating some "rules" by posting this, but really....who cares....

Heck....maybe I'm butt hurt....but....maybe its just hemmoroids.....bleck....

Go Pats and take care all....from me....

from Shmessy

"Mods....please get off your arses and move this thread to an appropriate forum."
So sorry our performance isn't up to your standards today. We do this on a volunteer basis. I just got home from a meeting.

So let me put this as succinctly as possible: I'm not your *****, ****head.

You address us like that again and you won't be here very long.Merry Christmas.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

JetsGuy posted:

I mean, Jesus Christ.

They're not even the most dominant collegiate sport team in the US. Look at PSU's fencing. They've won 12 titles and finished second eight times. There's only been 23 seasons. Bama doesn't even approach that level of dominance.

Or PSU's women's volleyball. Or that school that wins all the swimming all the time.

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE

"Suck it up dutchess."
by BelizePats was a truly rare and amazing retort.

I can't get it out of my head.

Whatever shred of an argument you had is now forfeit because you were rightly called out as acting like a dutchess by some guy presumably in Belize.

That moderator must now live out his life in shame.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Sash! posted:

They're not even the most dominant collegiate sport team in the US. Look at PSU's fencing. They've won 12 titles and finished second eight times. There's only been 23 seasons. Bama doesn't even approach that level of dominance.

Or PSU's women's volleyball. Or that school that wins all the swimming all the time.

Yeah how could he forget all those sports that literally 8 people in the world care about I mean come on

schweens
Jan 14, 2011

kakarot ain't got shit on me

Sash! posted:

And who could forget PSU Horseplay's 10 titles in the last 15 years

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

THIS WHAGON HAS NO BREAKS! I HAVE THE HEART OF THE BUUFALO the strength OF THE MOUNTAIN, THE FURY OF THE THUNDER AND MY WILL IS UNBREAKABLE! I will not surrender to KNOW ONE
All I know is the Rochester University Yellow Jackets will gently caress you up at Badminton.
They have their own tournament to just cordially invite folks to come on up and get their rear end beat.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Yeah how could he forget all those sports that literally 8 people in the world care about I mean come on

Irrelevant. They're still dominant in their sports to a degree any football team could only dream of.

Ashcan Pete
May 29, 2011

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Utah women's gymanastics outdraws their men's basketball team if the boys are in a down year. 10 national titles and 8 second place finishes, what what

(this really doesn't prove much but I so rarely get to talk about something Utah's historically great at)

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Sash! posted:

Irrelevant. They're still dominant in their sports to a degree any football team could only dream of.

It's not irrelevant. A league with more dedication across the board to put out better teams because of the level of money it garners increases the competitiveness and the difficulty needed to dominate. I don't think you'd give a poo poo if some school had the undefeated pong champ as if it's equal to football.

btw I'm not defending the dumbass completely incorrect comment just that your line of reasoning is bad.

LARGE THE HEAD
Sep 1, 2009

"Competitive greatness is when you play your best against the best."

"Learn as if you were to live forever; live as if you were to die tomorrow."

--John Wooden

Sash! posted:

Trinity squash erases Penn State fencing from the conversation.

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah when I think "dynasty" I think "Penn State fencing"

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?

TEBOW 3 16 posted:

Yeah when I think "dynasty" I think "Penn State fencing"

The initial post was so awful that Sash! probably lost consciousness for a while. It's a fairly typical response in that situation.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Sash! posted:

lol just lol

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
like me w/ posting

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Like all of us w/ making out with dudes.

The Fella Frenchers are in a league of their own.

I wish I could contribute more to this thread, but every Colts forum this year has just been "RG3 vs Luck!!!" or "Oh man, that Manning guy :swoon:" which doesn't make for a very compelling narrative.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Epic High Five posted:

Like all of us w/ making out with dudes.

The Fella Frenchers are in a league of their own.

I wish I could contribute more to this thread, but every Colts forum this year has just been "RG3 vs Luck!!!" or "Oh man, that Manning guy :swoon:" which doesn't make for a very compelling narrative.

Mods! Please change TFF to The Fella Frenchers! Thanks!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Scionix posted:

the transitive property of football website really needs to extend cross-league so I could prove once and for all Alabama could beat, uh, the browns?

When they used to run the pro bowl as the NFL Championship winner versus a college all-star team, you could probably have the cross-league comparison point there

Or maybe some exhibition stuff

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES
I also love watching the Finebaum caller level intelligence footbaw fans explode with rage when you point out Princeton and Yale both have more national championships than ROLL TIDE. By a huge margin too.

Of course, most of those were pre-WWII. :v:

More currently, ND and Michigan have more titles. So on a purely footbaw standpoint it's an incorrect comment.

Declan MacManus posted:

When they used to run the pro bowl as the NFL Championship winner versus a college all-star team, you could probably have the cross-league comparison point there

Or maybe some exhibition stuff
If you got the all-American team together and had them play like the Browns, that might be a close game, but I'd be fairly confident in betting on the Browns to win a majority of the time.

JetsGuy fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 7, 2012

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Jerome Agricola posted:

The initial post was so awful that Sash! probably lost consciousness for a while. It's a fairly typical response in that situation.

Definite concussion, I can see the fencing response

Captain von Trapp
Jan 23, 2006

I don't like it, and I'm sorry I ever had anything to do with it.

No Safe Word posted:

:monocle: Flawlessly done.

Arschlochkind
Mar 29, 2010

:stare:

Jerome Agricola posted:

No Safe Word posted:

:thejoke:

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

No Safe Word posted:

That is superb

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Jerome Agricola posted:

You can think its stupid, but its not. You either are the most dominant or you're not. The US Women's Beach Volleyball team completely rules their entire sport, in a way that no NHL team rules theirs. The size of their fanbase has little bearing on this.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hum okay good points Sash.

And the verdict is.... Nope. It's still stupid.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?
Classic Sash!isms

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

AAA DOLFAN posted:

Hum okay good points Sash.

And the verdict is.... Nope. It's still stupid.

Sorry that you're too dumb to get this, I guess. Its rather simple.

The premise was "some nut says Alabama football is most dominant team of all time in any sport." Which can easily be refuted with the commonly known (Steelers in the 70s) to the hilariously obscure (Penn State fencing).

Two Tone Shoes posted:

A league with more dedication across the board to put out better teams because of the level of money it garners increases the competitiveness and the difficulty needed to dominate.

See, I'd disagree with this. People aren't going to be less competitive at their sport because "well I only do men's gymnastics and no one cares, so I'll just half-rear end it."

Sash! fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Dec 7, 2012

Jerome Agricola
Apr 11, 2010

Seriously,

who dat?
Hey, you guys, from other forums. From other forums.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.

Sash! posted:

See, I'd disagree with this. People aren't going to be less competitive at their sport because "well I only do men's gymnastics and no one cares, so I'll just half-rear end it."

There's going to be a lower level of competition because the sport isn't as popular so it doesn't have all the crazy talent that might otherwise increase the level of competition flooding into it. This isn't something you can argue. It's like saying Canadian Football League has a similar level of competition to the NFL when it obviously doesn't because it's smaller, hasn't been around as long and doesn't have the money involved in it. Your point is bad and assumes that competition isn't relative.

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hey Sash no amount of insulting me will change the fact that what you're saying is loving retarded.

The point of this thread is to laugh at people saying inane poo poo, not to emulate them.

v2vian man
Sep 1, 2007

Only question I
ever thought was hard
was do I like Kirk
or do I like Picard?

Jerome Agricola posted:

Hey, you guys, from other forums. From other forums.

OK lets save this thread

From the comments on a Cleveland Plain Dealer story on eliminating kickoffs:

dawgwings posted:

Think they will opt for the Orange skirts, or the traditional white?

pasaluki
Feb 27, 2008

Sash! posted:

Sorry that you're too dumb to get this, I guess. Its rather simple.

The premise was "some nut says Alabama football is most dominant team of all time in any sport." Which can easily be refuted with the commonly known (Steelers in the 70s) to the hilariously obscure (Penn State fencing).

Sash! I commend you for sticking to your swords on this one.

JetsGuy
Sep 17, 2003

science + hockey
=
LASER SKATES

pasaluki posted:

Sash! I commend you for sticking to your swords on this one.

He seems more like a rapier guy to me.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
Y'all be posting.

But Sash! be riposting

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Hey guys you think Bama is a dynasty? Well let me tell ya about Penn State. They are 9 for 9 when it comes to raping little boys and robbing them of their evidence so sorry for your luck lol buncha pretenders

No sorry if you disagree you're clearly stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gendo
Feb 25, 2001

His place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory nor defeat.
I guess women's sports don't count.

• Locked thread