Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mastajake
Oct 3, 2005

My blade is unBENDING!

poptart_fairy posted:

Choose to save the world from Halbech by using the green, red or blue computer terminal.

It's not really about 3 different computer choices. It's so much more than that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Ending 3: Merge with Leland.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Red computer terminal ending: Leland dies and the world economy is saved, but so does whoever your best spy bro was. If you have multiple people with the same score, they all die!

Bye Albatross :(

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?
On the bright side, you would be able to save the president and prevent the riots at the same time!

(Only if you maxed out your Paragon/Renegade score, of course)

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
The 'suave' lines would be the most insufferable and stupid poo poo. I'm imagining Dragon Age 2's writers trying to write a James Bond movie.

Also, Steven Heck would be a romantic interest.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

vyelkin posted:

The 'suave' lines would be the most insufferable and stupid poo poo.

The difference here being they come across that way to NPCs as well. :iamafag:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

vyelkin posted:

The 'suave' lines would be the most insufferable and stupid poo poo. I'm imagining Dragon Age 2's writers trying to write a James Bond movie.

Also, Steven Heck would be a romantic interest.

I still wish I could end up in the alternate dimension where Obsidian had the time and budget to let you select Thorton's gender. 420 Romance Heck Erryday.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Man, what if EA had kept them working on it (24 was still on and popular, Quantum of Solace came out not long before, spy poo poo is popular!) and Mass Effect 2 and 3's development been handed over to another studio. Say, another studio who had already made sci-fi/fantasy sequels to Bioware games? What Could Have Been

I can't help but wonder if this game had anything to do with Sega sitting on AP for like a year after it was done. Though I guess if they knew a more popular competitor was making a similar game they'd be more likely to release theirs ASAP.

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Dec 7, 2012

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

Crappy Jack posted:

I still wish I could end up in the alternate dimension where Obsidian had the time and budget to let you select Thorton's gender. 420 Romance Heck Erryday.

The question is, which male handler would they turn gay at the last minute in response to fan uproar that all of the females are implicitly bisexual?

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!

gggiiimmmppp posted:

The question is, which male handler would they turn gay at the last minute in response to fan uproar that all of the females are implicitly bisexual?
Albatross, duh.

God why are we talking about this.

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Just wait until Fox News hears about the gay Thorton/Heck/Darcy threeway ending.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Crappy Jack posted:

Just wait until Fox News hears about the gay Thorton/Heck/Darcy threeway ending.

I'm assuming you mean Darcy Sr. for the added political commentary.

Menorah on Fire
Aug 20, 2006

vyelkin posted:

I'm assuming you mean Darcy Sr. for the added political commentary.

What, and miss out on hearing "Mikey" the entire time?

Not a chance.

:colbert:

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

So, without any gadgets, how do you beat Omen Deng? I've fought and lost about 10 times so far. I don't have any offensive gagdets except stun grenades, because I decided I'd play the stealth game stealth-like. So I can't do what the OP suggests. I have a silenced handgun I've been using to set up extremely careful headshots and an AR for long range battles. I just can't beat the guy. My skills don't give me much of an edge because once I shoot him once he runs at me at a thousand miles per hour and uses his melee to track me across the room.

My set up is so far removed form playing the game "action" like, that I'm being beaten pretty easily. I wish developers would stop putting these dumb loving boss battles in these games that aren't designed with them in mind. You're not Kojima's studios. Your bosses are not well designed and they're loving frustrating and dumb. In a game about stealthing and espionage you don't put in action game bosses. I love the game otherwise but this is goddamn worse than the Human Evolution bosses. At least in that game you could throw exploding barrels in their face and had a magnum that could destroy them.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
What skills do you have? Wait til he's visible then activate chain shot, load the extra damage ammo and pelt him in the head a couple times. Or go back to your last safe house and go someplace else til you have more skills then come back.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Jimbot posted:

So, without any gadgets, how do you beat Omen Deng?
If I'm remembering right, Omen Deng will stealth after a while if he doesn't know where you are, but will look around for you for a bit if he spots you. It sounds like you have a Stealth Pistol build, so let him see you, go invisible, and then drop a Chain Shot on him. This will take you out of stealth, of course. Burn Brilliance(?) if you have it to reset your cooldowns. Stealth and Chain Shot a second time, and then you win!

If you don't have Brilliance or whatever, he'll regen all his armor during your cooldowns, so this'll probably take three cycles--two minutes--instead of two cycles and two seconds.

Fur20 fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Dec 10, 2012

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
With low skills he can be beaten by punch-punch disengage, shoot a bit, punch-punch disengage. It took five reloads but this is how I beat him on my hard rookie play through (which was incidentally my first play through.) Incendiary grenades are now my answer to most boss fights.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Chain Shot, Shadow Operative, hide from him until both are recharged, repeat. Remember to use steel core rounds for the extra damage. If he's still giving you trouble, load your last safehouse and travel to a different location. Do a mission or two in Rome or Moscow, go up a couple of levels, put points in Stealth and Pistols. Come back and wipe the floor with that rear end in a top hat.

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Once I nearly killed him with a single martial arts combo, and didn't even have Fury activated. He doesn't seem to block as much as the other bosses.

I also just found out that (Rome) if Marburg hates you enough, he'll fight you to the death in the museum instead of running away. Goddamn I love this game.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

I just found out a few days ago from the LP thread that there are two ways to do it, with two slightly different speeches. I just did it once to say I'd done it and never tried again, since it's not really integrated into the flashforwards; before that fight there's a scene where Thorton and Leland discuss Marburg in the present tense.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cirofren posted:

With low skills he can be beaten by punch-punch disengage, shoot a bit, punch-punch disengage. It took five reloads but this is how I beat him on my hard rookie play through (which was incidentally my first play through.) Incendiary grenades are now my answer to most boss fights.

This is pretty much how I beat him. Was friggan cheese but I was sick of that nonsense by that point. Looks like I won't be going to Taipei first next playthrough, since I breezed through Moscow without any trouble, boss included. Luckily, that boss seems to be an isolated case so far. I hated it, next time around I'll do that one when I'm higher level.

Cirofren
Jun 13, 2005

Pillbug
Honestly the game's better when you jump around locations and I regret not doing that until my third playthrough.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Cirofren posted:

Honestly the game's better when you jump around locations and I regret not doing that until my third playthrough.

I didn't even realize you could until I beat most of them. I'll have to remember that for playthrough two.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Decided to actually turn on the TV in the first safe house. Senator Darcy apparently passed the PORC act. The details given for make me wish he was a real senator.

Also decided for my first real play through to go for good scores on the training courses, how does shooting Darcy in the balls not make you lose rep with him in Mina's bonus round?

EtA:Wait why couldn't they just send letters to them instead of meeting in person or using video chat....

Fantastic Alice fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Dec 11, 2012

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Ceyton posted:

I also just found out that (Rome) if Marburg hates you enough, he'll fight you to the death in the museum instead of running away. Goddamn I love this game.

Oh my goodness new guys are so adorable. :allears:

CowboyAndy
Aug 7, 2012

Cirofren posted:

Wait, you can jump from hub to hub without finishing it?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

CowboyAndy posted:

Wait, you can jump from hub to hub without finishing it?
"Wait, you can X in this game?" is true for almost any X.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Games > Alpha Protocol: Wait, you can do WHAT in this game?!

I think my one pet peeve with AP is the console save system. Both me and my brother love the game, but the inability to name your saves means we're always endlessly getting tangled up in each other's playthroughs.

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

My pet peeve, aside from that one boss battle which I'm not convinced I was under-leveled for, is that you can't assign shortcuts to your powers. Mass Effect even allowed you to have a shortcut bar for powers! That and pressing the shortcut key for your map with your map up should take you back to the game instead of hitting back then exiting your PDA.

I hate console UIs, especially so when they don't use the keyboard to its fullest.

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

What bugged me the most was being locked out of areas once you passed a certain point, and it made exploration a hassle. I think a developer posted in here that it was because of unfamiliarity with the Unreal engine.

Re: bosses, all of them can be beaten if you've levelled up your combat skill of choice, unless you neglected one entirely. If you get around to it, I suggest doing a Recruit playthrough so you can unlock Veteran mode. Veteran gives a lot of extra skill points, making the rough spots like the boss fights a lot more enjoyable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Isn't it possible to unlock Veteran mode with a file edit? I already did a Recruit playthrough before, but the game promptly forgot after I switched OSes

UnknownMercenary
Nov 1, 2011

I LIKE IT
WAY WAY TOO LOUD

Yeah, I think it was posted in here before, but I don't feel like digging through 100+ pages to find it.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

gradenko_2000 posted:

Isn't it possible to unlock Veteran mode with a file edit? I already did a Recruit playthrough before, but the game promptly forgot after I switched OSes

I got most of the way through a recruit play and got bored with the weapon I was using (assault rifle) so I just googled "alpha protocol veteran unlock" and got a file to swap out and it worked fine.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
In your [Documents]/Alpha Protocol/Profile folder there should be a file called ProfileOptions.dat. Open that file with a hex editor and edit address 000000400 and it's value changes from 00 to 03 as highlighted below.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.
Does anyone know if patching the game's executable to be large address aware (aka 4gb patch) helps at all? I mean, with my new computer the game runs flawlessly anyway, but I figure every little thing helps.

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
My copy of the game worked fine (in that it didn't crash) with 5GB RAM. If you're having issues, than large amounts of RAM are unlikely to be the cause.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

hectorgrey posted:

My copy of the game worked fine (in that it didn't crash) with 5GB RAM. If you're having issues, than large amounts of RAM are unlikely to be the cause.

I'm not having any, hence: "with my new computer the game runs flawlessly anyway". Just, aren't most 32-bit programs only able to see/use up to 2GB? Making them Large Address Aware allows them to pull up to 4GB. I'd just like to allow the game to use more of my 8GB of RAM.

Captain Walker
Apr 7, 2009

Mother knows best
Listen to your mother
It's a scary world out there

PureRok posted:

I'm not having any, hence: "with my new computer the game runs flawlessly anyway". Just, aren't most 32-bit programs only able to see/use up to 2GB? Making them Large Address Aware allows them to pull up to 4GB. I'd just like to allow the game to use more of my 8GB of RAM.

You're seeing problems where there are none. I mean, it's a UE3 game designed for eight-year-old consoles, there's not much more performance to squeeze out of it. This isn't Witcher 2.

TheIllestVillain
Dec 27, 2011

Sal, Wyoming's not a country
Does the PC version of this have controller input? I played the 360 version back when it was released and it was buggy as all hell so i didn't get far, i was hoping to give it a go on the big boy platform.

TheIllestVillain fucked around with this message at 07:11 on Dec 16, 2012

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hectorgrey
Oct 14, 2011
For all the flack Obsidian gets about bugs, at least this game doesn't crash to desktop if you have too much RAM (here's looking at you, Skyrim...).

Edit: Yes, it does.

• Locked thread