Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Dusseldorf posted:

What the hell type of cup do you use?

Edit: 5-7 liters of Coffee?

I mean cups from a coffee machine carafe. I don't think they're full, 250ml cups. The work carafe is 12 "cups" and I emptied it single-handedly about twice a day, and had half of the 12 cup carafe at home before leaving for work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
:stare: How has your heart not beaten straight out of your chest? :stare:

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

FrozenVent posted:

Before anyone tears into tuyop for buying an extra set of wheels, you can't use alloy wheels in the winter.

The size of those wheels would have definitely been on the invoice however.

The hell you can't! I've been doing it for over a decade.

Also, I need to read this thread. Judging by the latest replies it's going to be worth it.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Using steel wheels for your winter tires is a good idea, though, since it means you can swap the tires twice a year without having to pay to have them re-mounted; also the cheap steelies can soak up all the road salt and keep your nice alloy wheels fresh.

But it's by no means a requirement and I'm sure most people just pay to have their tires swapped every fall and spring.

Anyway Tuyop I'm glad to hear you're getting help, but I can't help but notice that you've never mentioned to us before that you were guzzling so much coffee all the time. I'm amazed your heart still functions.

quaint bucket
Nov 29, 2007

Good to hear you're getting help and going for so long without booze and caffeine.

I hope you will keep it up and work towards improving the rest of your life while managing your medical issues.

The reaction from the tires is just obnoxious. I did comment on it but not to the extent that some people have gone. You made a mistake (albeit, not a bright mistake), but you owned up to it and admitted it.

That's good. Have a wonderful December and hope it doesn't hurt your budget.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
I thought I took too much caffeine. Apparently I'm not even close to being in the running for that. I hope you are taking the advice of the professionals that you are seeing.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

tuyop posted:

I mean cups from a coffee machine carafe. I don't think they're full, 250ml cups. The work carafe is 12 "cups" and I emptied it single-handedly about twice a day, and had half of the 12 cup carafe at home before leaving for work.

The so called cups vary by manufacturer and model but are usually 4-6 us oz so yeah somewhere in the range of three to five and a half liters.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
Professionals are there to have their expertise be used by someone like you. Don't feel guilty about going to see them, they've made it their life's work to help people like you fix their problems. :)

Also it's pretty impressive that you've managed to cut out all alcohol and caffeine cold turkey. Congratulations!

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

tuyop posted:

I was abusing alcohol and my back pills pretty routinely to get to sleep at night

quote:

recently quit coffee because I was drinking 21-30 cups a day

WELL THERE'S A GREAT BIG loving SURPRISE.

wynott dunn
Aug 9, 2006

What is to be done?

Who or what can challenge, and stand a chance at beating, the corporate juggernauts dominating the world?

The Proc posted:

The so called cups vary by manufacturer and model but are usually 4-6 us oz so yeah somewhere in the range of three to five and a half liters.

Jesus gently caress, and I thought I was abusing caffein when I used to take caffein pills but you've blown a younger, stupider me out of the water.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Dusseldorf posted:

What the hell type of cup do you use?

Edit: 5-7 liters of Coffee?

I think it's better to break down in hours, at 30 cups a day, assuming 8 hours of sleep a day (if you could even sleep) that would be 2 cups every waking hour, or one every 15 minutes in a normal 8 hour work day.

Wolfy
Jul 13, 2009

I don't even know if this is real anymore. What the gently caress?

T-1000
Mar 28, 2010
Drinking too much coffee can cause fairly severe mental health issues so good on you for cutting back.

quote:

A 47-year-old successful male farmer with no history of psychiatric hospitalization presented with a 7-year history of depression, diminished sleep to as little as 4 hours/night, poor energy, explosive anger, decreased concentration, decreased appetite, anhedonia, and feeling of worthlessness...However, ~7 years before presentation, he had sharply increased his consumption of coffee from 10–12 cups/day to ~36 cups/day, a change in coffee consumption corroborated by his wife who made much of the coffee for him at home. There was no history of psychosis before the increase in coffee consumption, but after the increased consumption, the patient developed paranoia. At presentation, the patient reported drinking >1 gallon of coffee/day.

Cuddlebottom
Feb 17, 2004

Butt dance.

tuyop posted:

recently quit coffee because I was drinking 21-30 cups a day (7 days no caffeine)
:stare: I am never going to complain about caffeine withdrawal again. Good on you, Tuyop.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
I used to drink one or two 2-liters of soda daily (Surge, mostly) when I was in high school. I gave it all up cold turkey, and it took almost 6 weeks before I felt "normal" again. I used to think I had insomnia, haha.

Nocheez fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 6, 2012

I am OK
Mar 9, 2009

LAWL
Come on, it's total exaggeration!

dreesemonkey
May 14, 2008
Pillbug

CornHolio posted:

The hell you can't! I've been doing it for over a decade.

Also, I need to read this thread. Judging by the latest replies it's going to be worth it.

It's not as "good" as you might hope, BFC is just really longing for the next you or zaurg or murderknobs to jump all over. Tuyop isn't doing that bad despite his horrible financial luck (especially with vehicles).

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

dreesemonkey posted:

It's not as "good" as you might hope, BFC is just really longing for the next you or zaurg or murderknobs to jump all over. Tuyop isn't doing that bad despite his horrible financial luck (especially with vehicles).

Yeah, he's doing okay.

The really good part is that when he has a 'stupid idea', he posts it here *before* he does it.

We yell at him, he doesn't do it and stupidity is avoided (since having a stupid idea isn't in itself stupid).

Compare and contrast 'I'm thinking of becoming a basil farmer' and then buying a single pot plant with the others who would post things like 'hey guys, I just bought a house!' or 'hey guys, I just had unprotected sex with my ridiculously fertile wife!'

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

dreesemonkey posted:

I dunno, I just finished skimming from April to now and it was pretty amusing. I especially liked the basilchat and that he wanted to build his own house.

I've known people like Tuyop. They'll have a huge grand idea and it'll be the best idea ever and will be completely, utterly ridiculous, and they get all hurt when you tell them so, and don't do it and are crushed. I won't get into the friend that wanted my help in starting a zeppelin freight company.

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

CornHolio posted:

I won't get into the friend that wanted my help in starting a zeppelin freight company.

Sounds like he might have had trouble getting his business off the ground

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't get upset when people tell me that I'm wrong though. I don't get especially committed to my ideas or anything, they're just ideas.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌

tuyop posted:

I don't get upset when people tell me that I'm wrong though. I don't get especially committed to my ideas or anything, they're just ideas.

You mean like that time that you didn't spend time couch-surfing/living out of your car?

Dongue Quixote
Nov 11, 2010

My brain problems are matched only by my swole problems.
Tuyop, congratulations on breaking the caffeine addiction, it's one of the hardest things to get off of, especially at your level of inta...

tuyop posted:

I'm really loving the appetite suppressing effects of DMAA. I don't notice the stimulant effect much (I take one 20mg pill preworkout), other than generally feeling tired before my shake and pleasantly awake and alert about 20 minutes after, but not being hungry when I get home is a huge bonus.

And I think I'm getting a sense of the increased focus from vinpocetine.

:eng99:

You replaced caffeine with 1,3-DMAA, a synthetic stimulant that's rapidly getting pulled off the shelves or made an illegal drug in many western countries for safety reasons? And also with vinpocetine, a chinese brain powder which can degrade your immune system? These mystery chemicals you bought are really paying dividends.

I feel like when you post these accomplishments like quitting a bad habit you are just misleading us now! You haven't replace drinking with a morphine addiction, have you?

Dongue Quixote fucked around with this message at 13:36 on Dec 7, 2012

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
I don't think 20mg of DMAA, which doesn't wind me up at all, taken 2-3 times a week, is taking the place of my dozens of cups of coffee. I still feel the withdrawal, anyway.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

tuyop posted:

I don't think 20mg of DMAA, which doesn't wind me up at all, taken 2-3 times a week, is taking the place of my dozens of cups of coffee. I still feel the withdrawal, anyway.

You have a history of addiction problems, and your psychologist has told you that you have a high disposition toward severe substance abuse. Kicking one habit only to replace it with another within a few months is common among those with addictive personalities. You should probably be avoiding unnecessary pills as much as possible.

In addition, the crap you're taking now is arguably worse than caffeine. DMAA has been restricted or is in the process of being restricted in several countries due to concerns about its health effects. It's currently banned in the US military while they investigate an apparent link between DMAA and soldiers mysteriously dying in the middle of training. As for Chinese brain powders, there's been numerous incidents of Chinese supplements or chemicals being cut with cheap crap to increase profits, occasionally resulting in an outbreak of sickness or death. If Canadian lentils killed 10-20 people with heavy metal poisoning every five years, you'd better believe they'd start testing lentils for heavy metals.

I know you say you don't really care about health dangers, but if you can't even take risks to your own life seriously, how can you take financial risks seriously?

Never you mind
Jun 5, 2010
Why are you experimenting with this stuff at all?

Dongue Quixote
Nov 11, 2010

Main Paineframe posted:

I know you say you don't really care about health dangers, but if you can't even take risks to your own life seriously, how can you take financial risks seriously?

Tuyop, consider what happens if you box your kidneys from playing with legitimately unknown powder mixes. Not only will you not die, but you'll be stuck having to get dialysis for the next 50 years, but you will likely be in pain and greatly reduce the quality of your life and the quantity of your earnings.

The benefits of your mystery powders I guess are that you have a marginal amount more "focus" but the risks are extreme. And you're paying for this risk. Have you actually sat down and weighed the risks and benefit?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Never you mind posted:

Why are you experimenting with this stuff at all?

Because you get a significantly better workout, it's safe as long as you aren't an idiot and take way too much, and it makes you feel good. It's also very cheap - I bought $30 worth of powders about a year ago and am just running out now. A ton of people in W&W take these things, including me.

That being said, considering Tuyop's claims of 80 cups of coffee a day or whatever the gently caress, he's probably best off being straight edge the rest of his life.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

mastershakeman posted:

Because you get a significantly better workout, it's safe as long as you aren't an idiot and take way too much, and it makes you feel good. It's also very cheap - I bought $30 worth of powders about a year ago and am just running out now. A ton of people in W&W take these things, including me.

That being said, considering Tuyop's claims of 80 cups of coffee a day or whatever the gently caress, he's probably best off being straight edge the rest of his life.

"It's safe" is not a provable claim when you're talking about zero quality assurance/quality control, "it's cheap" is not a good reason for messing with chemicals of uncertain provenance, safety, and efficacy, and "it makes you feel good" isn't a good reason for the same reasons mixing alcohol and painkillers wasn't.

Do you at least have data on improvements to your workout?

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

And weren't bunch of the W&W goons burned just a couple months ago by getting the discount "proteins" from American Pure Whey where every lot number was identical (4389) and it was all placebo and sugar in the end?

(You'll need archives)

I wouldn't use "Feels good and it's cheap" as your line of reasoning towards "therefore safe and effective" when you all got burned half a year ago, but by all means, trust the newer cheaper Chinese source instead.

This is a thread about making sensible, informed decisions. I'd rather see Tuyop eating fresh, local, USDA approved eggs than chalk/glucose/lead three-for-one miracle pills. (Yes I know he's in Canada but they have an equivalent)

Dongue Quixote
Nov 11, 2010

edit: Pretty much this ^^^^^^

mastershakeman posted:

A ton of people in W&W take these things, including me.

A ton of people in W&W also gave tons of money to American Pure Whey a few months ago, which was heavily promoted in the forum. And their "whey protein" turned out to have basically no protein whatsoever and instead was pure sugar or asbestos or chinese prisoner cremains. What I'm getting at is "tons of people in W&W take these things" historically has not shown it to be a good idea.

Tuyop has no data on the safety of what he's taking other than that able-bodied adult males haven't had their kidney function significantly degraded over the short-term.

Kobayashi
Aug 13, 2004

by Nyc_Tattoo

Dongue Quixote posted:

Tuyop has no data on the safety of what he's taking other than that able-bodied adult males haven't had their kidney function significantly degraded over the short-term.

Uhhh hold on a second. Why are we even talking about this as if it is a debate Tuyop is qualified to partake in? Lest we all forget, Tuyop, the self-styled Adonis with a no-jokes large package was actually a self-confessed chain smoker who recently stopped drinking entirely, due to a predisposition toward substance abuse. To his credit, he never appeared to be a heavy drinker; but, on the other hand, he drinks 21-30 goddamned cups of coffee per day. What. The. gently caress.

Now, does this strike you as the kind of person who is making rational decisions about his health? Is this someone who has carefully analyzed all the risks and come to an informed, well-reasoned conclusion based on thorough understanding of the subject matter? Maybe, you say? No. Hell no! To wit:

tuyop posted:

I don't tend to worry about poo poo like this. "Heavy metals in your powders!!!" "Mercury in your fish!!!" "Radiation in your cell phones!!!" :supaburn: I know you guys are going to think that I'm being crazy or flippant or sarcastic or something, but I just mean to say that significant health risks have never really stopped me from doing a thing before, and these health risks seem far from significant (more on the side of consumer fearmongering with a little bit of :china: xenophobia thrown in). I'm not worried about it because as far as I know nobody has tested the lentils or olive oil or anything else that I consume daily, by the pound, for heavy metals either, not to mention the probable litres of gun oil and teargas that I've been exposed to, and literal poison in the form of alcoholic beverages and tobacco products that I've used to excess.

Tuyop, as many of us have suspected from the very beginning, is nothing more than a gear whore. We've seen it underwear. We've seen it boots. We've seen it in bicycle components. Now we're seeing it in fitness supplements. He must have the best and he must have it now. Tuyop seems to have a gift for throwing money at all the wrong optimizations. Tuyop, the man with no cash and a busted back, doesn't need discount Chinese miracle powder. He needs to acknowledge his plight and leave the catalog gear to the people who haven't made all the wrong decisions in life. This isn't a conversation that Tuyop needs to worry about right now. He needs to focus on basic life skills first. The rest can come later.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Tuyop reminds me slightly of Stephen Fry's compulsive purchasing during his manic phases. It's been said before, bu there's definitely something psychologically wrong with him that's driving this behaviour.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Fun Shoe
Thanks for the huge effort post, what's your prescription for action, kobayashi?

I'm not being sarcastic either, I genuinely would like to know how you think I could do better. Aside from, "don't buy those powders!" is there anything else?

For example, I could have bought the best brand-name tires on payment plan, instead I bought a discount tire with good reviews with cash. (same with my summer tires in July)

I could really use a microwave/food processor/whatever kitchen gadget, but for now I'm trying to make do with a gifted pot set, a few pans that were on sale, a chef knife and paring knife, also on sale, and an oven. It's not heroic, but I think it's an example of control over my gear whore impulses.

I definitely think it makes sense to buy quality things, in order to not buy many of them, but buying anything thats not a necessity is something I should avoid for the next twelve months.

Is that what you're talking about? What does a normal, healthy person do in my position?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

tuyop posted:

Is that what you're talking about? What does a normal, healthy person do in my position?
I'm not Kobayashi, but here's a short list:
They don't buy shady chinese stimulants, for one(what the hell do you even need the stimulants for? I get that you're used to having a shitton of caffeine in your system, but you should focus on being able to have energy & focus without pumping chemicals into yourself, not replacing one stimulant with another). Making do with the perfectly usable kitchen stuff they have instead of buying shiny kitchen gadgets they can't afford is another(and you're doing this, which is good!). They also don't even semi-seriously entertain thoughts like BASIL and building a tiny house they don't have the skills for. They also don't go on shitloads of vacations they can't afford.

Many of these things are in the past, but you're going to keep repeating similar mistakes if you don't correct the line of thinking that led you that way in the first place.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

tuyop posted:

I could really use a microwave/food processor/whatever kitchen gadget, but for now I'm trying to make do with a gifted pot set, a few pans that were on sale, a chef knife and paring knife, also on sale, and an oven. It's not heroic, but I think it's an example of control over my gear whore impulses.
I got my first microwave for free off of craigslist because the display was broken. Used it for five years no problem and replaced it with one I saw on sale for like $25. If your past is any indication, you'll "go without" a microwave for a year and then convince yourself that your willpower means you deserve to buy a $200 top-end microwave. So don't do that.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Yeah, why don't you ever apply that manic drive to well-thought out bargain hunting?

Adar
Jul 27, 2001

El_Elegante posted:

Yeah, why don't you ever apply that manic drive to well-thought out bargain hunting?

Because tuyop is no jokes bipolar which means the manic drive is either too manic for less than the best or culminates in trying to live out of a car in the Canadian winter.

tuyop, see a clinical psychologist.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

A microwave is an energy efficient way to heat a wide variety of meals in a timely fashion, so get yourself a modest microwave. I would encourage anybody to get a microwave. Do not get a turkey-sized microwave with all-digital controls and auto-cook features, set yourself a budget ahead of time.

How much can you budget towards a microwave? They're on sale all the time if not for free. Hell, I see them at CVS pharmacy on a regular basis for like $20.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010

tuyop posted:

Next month is Christmas, and we already bought a breast pump (150 for our share) for the sister in law, who just had a baby girl (yeah I guess I'm an uncle now!), so we've got like 500 more in presents to spend between us, I think, and about 400 in travel expenses to get back to NS.

Given those expenses, I'm expecting that total line to go down fairly sharply to the tune of 2000 or so in December, then we can see about breaking 3k in January.

Tuyop, are you seriously spending over $1000 on Christmas? And at the same time refusing to spend $20 or less on a microwave?

• Locked thread