Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
That isn't a problem with MGSO exactly, just turn your gamma up in the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Musical_Daredevil
Dec 23, 2008

Need some backup NOW!
You're not the first person who's had this problem and I think I found out what's causing this. I also thought it was the gamma at first, but then I checked and mine was set just fine but my game was still too dark at that point.

On the MSGO options control panel, try setting your lighting mod to "No Lighting Mods" rather than either of the realistic ones. Warning: for some reason, when I did this it deleted a bunch of audio files and I got constant error messages telling me this.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
It's the TLM mod in your list that's doing it. The Lighting Mod. I disabled it as well, for the same reasons.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
I think my Morrowind discs might have finally given up the ghost and become too scratched to read the movie files. Actually rather a sad thought, as this was the first western RPG I ever played. This PC Gamer Presents Morrowind box has done me well over the years.

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Cantorsdust posted:

It's the TLM mod in your list that's doing it. The Lighting Mod. I disabled it as well, for the same reasons.

This would be my first guess, too. I don't use MGSO, but I do use TLM. I like how dark it makes areas without light sources--spelunking is really loving creepy. If standing outside in Seyda Neen at high noon looks fine, but caves and interiors are dark, it's probably a lighting mod and not a gamma issue.

Dr Snofeld posted:

I think my Morrowind discs might have finally given up the ghost and become too scratched to read the movie files. Actually rather a sad thought, as this was the first western RPG I ever played. This PC Gamer Presents Morrowind box has done me well over the years.

That sucks, because hard copies of this game help circumvent that tiny but obnoxious extra step where you have to manually change the creation dates for the .esm files. I treat my Morrowind discs like they're frail, ancient treasures (which they are).

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

That sucks, because hard copies of this game help circumvent that tiny but obnoxious extra step where you have to manually change the creation dates for the .esm files. I treat my Morrowind discs like they're frail, ancient treasures (which they are).

I thought you could do archive invalidation or somesuch to circumvent that, or am I thinking of Oblivion and/or something entirely different?

I'd find a no-cd patch but I appear to be using a different Morrowind exe entirely, possibly for the graphics extender. I don't remember what I have installed at this point.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Cantorsdust posted:

I'm trying to find this in Wrye Mashe to disable it, but I can't seem to find it. The closest thing I see is True_Lights_And_Darkness.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Captain Oblivious posted:

I'm trying to find this in Wrye Mashe to disable it, but I can't seem to find it. The closest thing I see is True_Lights_And_Darkness.

Might as well try to disable that. The one from the MGSO is "TLM - Complete.esp"

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010
Thanks for the advice! I was actually thinking of just going with the mods in the .zip file instead anyway - I tried most of them out before and I kind of like the look it gives the game. Is it still necessary to install Wrye Mash before I do anything else with the game?

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I've been away from Morrowind for too long. I'm using MGEXE and have installed Vurt's various nature replacers. Only problem is, they only get rendered in Distant Land. When I get close, they morph back into the default trees. How does this even happen, and how do I fix it?

Also, another question: Wrye Mash insists that the 'Replacers' feature is obsolete and you can just use the Installers module, but using the Installers module doesn't seem to do anything.

Malsgrein fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Dec 6, 2012

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice
The MSGO installer actually has a part where you select if you want any lighting mods installed. I think the three options are "no mods," "lighting mods but not hella dark," and "lighting mods that are dark."

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."

Oggumogoggum posted:

I've been away from Morrowind for too long. I'm using MGEXE and have installed Vurt's various nature replacers. Only problem is, they only get rendered in Distant Land. When I get close, they morph back into the default trees. How does this even happen, and how do I fix it?

Sometimes, especially with Vurt and Vality tree mods, you need to keep the .esp enabled when you play the game (unlike grass). This may be the case in this instance.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Guess who finally has a decent enough machine to do his modpack justice?

This guy. :cool:

I'll soon be compiling a new set of screenshots to go with my pack in the OP.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Oggumogoggum posted:

Awash with jealousy.

Meanwhile on my end: when even vanilla Morrowind starts artifacting the gently caress out, sounds like it's time for a new machine. Bleh.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Oggumogoggum posted:

That is hella nice. With Dragonborn out for x360 only and these screens I'm getting a bit of a Morrowind urge again.

Also, I just saw the Collector's Edition on Ebay. Starting bid is $332. :stare: But that Ordinator figurine, man.

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

I'm gonna go ahead and post some shots while I play through this thing with a tweaked version of my compilation. I want to test it for a good number of hours before I start deciding on any changes.

This shot shows off the nice lore-friendly Daedric signposts (the only signpost retexture I could stand).

It got foggy as I approach Balmora.

Dwayne Bensey
Jan 7, 2010

Oggumogoggum posted:

I'm gonna go ahead and post some shots while I play through this thing with a tweaked version of my compilation. I want to test it for a good number of hours before I start deciding on any changes.

This shot shows off the nice lore-friendly Daedric signposts (the only signpost retexture I could stand).

It got foggy as I approach Balmora.

These are great. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of spec is your new machine?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

EVERYBODY POST Morrowind PICTURES!

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Dwayne Bensey posted:

These are great. If you don't mind me asking, what kind of spec is your new machine?

I built it during the summer. Here's a link to a parts list: http://pcpartpicker.com/ca/p/dr60

Darth Brooks
Jan 15, 2005

I do not wear this mask to protect me. I wear it to protect you from me.

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

EVERYBODY POST Morrowind PICTURES!

Here's one after a bit of tweaking in Photoshop. Some color correction and adding distance blur.

I have a feeling that this is Morrowind will look like in ten years if not sooner.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Caved and replaced my Morrowind disc with a Steam version. Started off on that breaking technique linked earlier. Did you know that either the Morrowind Patch Project or the Code Patch makes it so the Orcish armour in the Creeper mansion isn't unowned and you can't just take it any more? I didn't, and if I'd known I'd have saved at some point since Seyda Neen. Ack.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Been having a pretty great time with MGSO so far, except for the fairly common crashing when loading a save. It's really starting to grate. Most recently, trying to load a save resulted in "Expression error: cannot find race id "e you going?" in MGSE setup" or something like that.

Any ideas?

Edit: And now something about not being able to render a mesh when I enter the House REdoran Hall in Ald'Ruhn, and a prompt for whether I want to continue running the executable or not. And the table in the main room is enveloped by some kind of giant yellow pyramid and nothing on it (within the pyramid) can be interacted with.

Suddenly I'm less confident in all this jazz :(

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Dec 7, 2012

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Been having a pretty great time with MGSO so far, except for the fairly common crashing when loading a save. It's really starting to grate. Most recently, trying to load a save resulted in "Expression error: cannot find race id "e you going?" in MGSE setup" or something like that.

Any ideas?

Edit: And now something about not being able to render a mesh when I enter the House REdoran Hall in Ald'Ruhn, and a prompt for whether I want to continue running the executable or not. And the table in the main room is enveloped by some kind of giant yellow pyramid and nothing on it (within the pyramid) can be interacted with.

Suddenly I'm less confident in all this jazz :(

The table is an easy fix, at least. Go into Data Files/Meshes/f and delete furn_de_table_03.nif (It's harmless anyway, the pyramid is the replacer warning texture if something's missing)

As for the crashes, I'm not entirely sure. It sounds like a mod conflict. Is there anything useful in warnings.txt in the main morrowind folder?

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

The table is an easy fix, at least. Go into Data Files/Meshes/f and delete furn_de_table_03.nif (It's harmless anyway, the pyramid is the replacer warning texture if something's missing)

As for the crashes, I'm not entirely sure. It sounds like a mod conflict. Is there anything useful in warnings.txt in the main morrowind folder?

I checked and I got...

Warnings posted:

Not able to find Foot part in BC_shoes_common_1.
Not able to find Foot part in BC_shoes_common_2.
Not able to find Foot part in BC_shoes_extrav_1_f.
Not able to find Knee part in BC_extravagant_pants_02_Mk.
Not able to find Foot part in BC_shoes_common_03.
Not able to find Foot part in BC_shoes_common_4.
Not able to find Foot part in BC_shoes_common_5.
Not able to find Foot part in BC_shoes_expensive_03.
Not able to find Foot part in BC_shoes_expensive_03.

After that it was just stuff related to the table. Seems strange that there would be a mod conflict, all I'm using is MGSO itself.

delta534
Sep 2, 2011

Any ideas?

The expression error, if I remember my morrowind bugs right, is a issue with a mod. The crashes might be related as well. Could you post your mod list

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Well, those are all harmless errors from Better Bodies. I don't know what's going on.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

My mod list in Wrye's is...

Bloodmoon.esm
Morrowind.esm
Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta
Poorly Placed Object Fix 1.2.esm
Texture Fix - Bloodmoon 1.1.esm
Texture Fix 2.0.esm
Tribunal.esm
abotWindowsglow.esp
almalexia armor.esp
AtmosphericSoundEffects-3.0-Tribunal.esp
Barabus' fireplaces 2.esp
Better Bodies.esp
Better Clothes_v1.1.esp
Better Skulls.ESP
Better Weapons and Armors.esp
Better_Sounds.esp
BetterClothesForTB.esp
Bloated Caves.esp
bones.esp
Book Jackets - Bloodmon.esp
Book Jackets - Morrowind.esp
Book Jackets - Tribunal.esp
Clean MFC_1.0.esp
Close Inspection.esp
Companion Health Bars.esp
correctUV Ore Replacer 1.0.esp
ExcellentMagicSounds.esp
Female Armor - Complete.esp
Golden Gold.esp
Graphic Herbalism.esp
guarskin_drum_replacer.esp
imperial chain fix.esp
JEB_muffin_fix.esp
Key Replacer Trib & BM.esp
LeftGloves_Addon_v2.esp
MA_snowprincetomb_v3.esp
More Better Clothes.ESP
MW Containers Animated.esp
Neo's Unique Creatures.esp
New Bodies - Clean.esp
New Voices.esp
NewBlood_MwTbBm1.1.esp
OTR_Coast Variety.esp (Deactivated)
Ownership Indicator.esp
Particle Arrow Replacer.esp
Psy_UniqueDremora_T.esp
Psy_VGR_Armour.esp
Shieldfx.esp
SirLuthor-Tools.esp
Sleepers, Awake!.esp
STA_guides_replacer.esp
Statue Replacer - Normal.esp
Third Person Crosshair.esp
Time Display.esp
True_Lights_And_Darkness_1.0-NoDaylight.esp
UF_HortRobeF001.esp
Unique Banners and Signs.esp
Unique Jewelry and Accessories.esp
UniqueFinery.esp
Vality's Balmora Addon.esp
Vampiric Hunger UI (MGE XE).esp
Vurt's BC Tree Replacer II.esp
Vurt's Grazelands Trees.esp
WA_Signy_Signposts(1).ESP
Windows Glow.esp
Windows Glow - Bloodmoon Eng.esp
Windows Glow - Raven Rock Eng.esp
Windows Glow - Tribunal Eng.esp

The save crashing has primarily been happening while I'm in the Balmora Corner Club thus far.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

For starters get rid of the vampiric hunger UI mod, since you don't have vampiric hunger the mod. Then run Mlox and see if you have any load order issues. Frankly, I'm surprised the game loads if bloodmoon.esm really loads first.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Cantorsdust posted:

For starters get rid of the vampiric hunger UI mod, since you don't have vampiric hunger the mod. Then run Mlox and see if you have any load order issues. Frankly, I'm surprised the game loads if bloodmoon.esm really loads first.

Yeah I guess Wrye's isn't entirely accurate in representing load order. I ran Mlox and this is what it said my active plugins were, and it's the same as the proposed load order.

Mlox posted:

_001_ Morrowind.esm
_002_ Tribunal.esm
_003_ Bloodmoon.esm
_004_ Texture Fix - Bloodmoon 1.1.esm
_005_ Morrowind Patch 1.6.5 Beta (BTB Edit).esm
_006_ Poorly Placed Object Fix 1.2.esm
_007_ Texture Fix 2.0.esm
_008_ SirLuthor-Tools.esp
_009_ Unique Banners and Signs.esp
_010_ Better Bodies.esp
_011_ Windows Glow.esp
_012_ Key Replacer Trib & BM.esp
_013_ JEB_muffin_fix.esp
_014_ Barabus' fireplaces 2.esp
_015_ Windows Glow - Tribunal Eng.esp
_016_ Windows Glow - Bloodmoon Eng.esp
_017_ Windows Glow - Raven Rock Eng.esp
_018_ WA_Signy_Signposts(!).ESP
_019_ Better Skulls.ESP
_020_ Particle Arrow Replacer.esp
_021_ Psy_VGR_Armour.esp
_022_ MA_snowprincetomb_v3.esp
_023_ Vurt's Grazelands Trees.esp
_024_ AtmosphericSoundEffects-3.0-Tribunal.esp
_025_ abotWindowsGlow.esp
_026_ Statue Replacer - Normal.esp
_027_ bones.esp
_028_ Shieldfx.esp
_029_ Book Jackets - Morrowind.esp
_030_ Book Jackets - Tribunal.esp
_031_ Book Jackets - Bloodmoon.esp
_032_ Better Clothes_v1.1.esp
_033_ NewBlood_MwTbBm1.1.esp
_034_ Neo's Unique Creatures.esp
_035_ Vality's Balmora Addon.esp
_036_ BetterClothesForTB.esp
_037_ correctUV Ore Replacer 1.0.esp
_038_ Bloated Caves.esp
_039_ Graphic Herbalism.esp
_040_ ExcellentMagicSounds.esp
_041_ almalexia armor.esp
_042_ Psy_UniqueDremora_T.esp
_043_ More Better Clothes.ESP
_044_ Golden Gold.esp
_045_ New Voices.esp
_046_ Sleepers, Awake!.esp
_047_ guarskin_drum_replacer.esp
_048_ LeftGloves_Addon_v2.esp
_049_ UniqueFinery.esp
_050_ Third Person Crosshair.esp
_051_ Close Inspection.esp
_052_ Ownership Indicator.esp
_053_ Time Display.esp
_054_ Unique Jewelry and Accessories.esp
_055_ True_Lights_And_Darkness_1.0-NoDaylight.esp
_056_ Clean MCFC_1.0.esp
_057_ imperial chain fix.esp
_058_ UF_HortRobeF001.esp
_059_ Vurt's BC Tree Replacer II.esp
_060_ Companion Health Bars.esp
_061_ New Bodies - Clean.esp
_062_ Female Armor - Complete.esp
_063_ Better Weapons and Armors.esp
_064_ STA_guides_replacer.esp
_065_ MW Containers Animated.esp
_066_ Better_Sounds.esp

It did mention that Vality's Balmora Addon requires Vality's Bitter Coast Addon and that I don't have that though

delta534
Sep 2, 2011
Do what Cantorsdust said. None of those mods pop out as a possible suspect at first glance. I would have to take a look at them to be sure.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Yeah I killed Vampiric Hunger and that one mesh file. I'll just roll with it and see what happens now.

Edit: Also the Code Patch claimed to make pickpocketing less impossible but it loving lies :argh:

Captain Oblivious fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 7, 2012

Odd
Dec 30, 2006

I think everybody just needs to maybe cool out a little maybe
So I just installed the new MGSO for the first time, before this the only mods I ever used in morrowind were the Code Patch and the official add-ons (Fort Firemoth, the Index one, area-effect arrows and some other armor ones). I have the steam GOTY version, and I am getting absolute garbage for framerate. Indoors is fine, between 40 and 60 FPS. Outdoors though i get around 20 FPS, often dropping to 10 or less around Seyda Neen. Even worse in balmora.

My specs are an AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.2 Ghz, nvidia geforce 460, windows vista with 6 gb rams. I've tried messing with the trees, the grass, the distant lands cell amounts, nothing gets me over about 25 fps outdoors. Still with frequent dips in fps. Does anyone know if there is anything to be done?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

Odd posted:

So I just installed the new MGSO for the first time, before this the only mods I ever used in morrowind were the Code Patch and the official add-ons (Fort Firemoth, the Index one, area-effect arrows and some other armor ones). I have the steam GOTY version, and I am getting absolute garbage for framerate. Indoors is fine, between 40 and 60 FPS. Outdoors though i get around 20 FPS, often dropping to 10 or less around Seyda Neen. Even worse in balmora.

My specs are an AMD Phenom Quad Core 2.2 Ghz, nvidia geforce 460, windows vista with 6 gb rams. I've tried messing with the trees, the grass, the distant lands cell amounts, nothing gets me over about 25 fps outdoors. Still with frequent dips in fps. Does anyone know if there is anything to be done?

I don't use MGSO, but I'm assuming you can still open up MGE-XE and bind keys to enable/disable MGE-XE features on the fly:

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

A few more things I've discovered, which are especially relevant to laptop players:

The more recent versions of MGE-XE (I'm currently on 0.9.8) have quietly introduced a new lighting system that is turned on by default. This lighting method--while occasionally more impressive than the system it is aiming to replace--uses a much more demanding pixel-based algorithm. If you're getting a lower framerate than you think you should be getting, do yourself a favor and macro-map a few keys (use MGE-XE to do this) to do the following things:

1. Toggle Lighting System
2. Toggle Shaders
3. Toggle Grass
4. Toggle Shadows

For lighting systems, you have the option of flipping between "Standard Dynamic Lighting" and "New Dynamic Lighting." On my laptop, I've gained about 6-8 FPS by rolling back to Standard Dynamic Lighting.

Being able to toggle Grass will help you determine if you're drawing grass too dense in LOD generation. As has been mentioned before, mods like Vurt's Groundcover can really impact performance at higher (80-100%) densities. Toggling shaders will show you if your shader chain is too demanding (obviously) and is a lot less tedious than exiting and starting Morrowind up over and over.

Finally, Shadows: This is MGE-XE's big draw, but it's worth seeing what you gain by canning shadows, especially since this is the only way to opt out of the program's impressive dynamic shadows. Similar to the New Dynamic Lighting, I observed a significance increase in performance by disabling shadows.

In conclusion, by rolling back to the old lighting system (little cost in visual quality) and shadows (variable, sometimes significant cost in visual quality) I have gained about 12-15 FPS, and have been able to continue using MGE-XE's other features like shaders, gorgeous water, and higher performance LOD rendering.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Another screwy prompt, this time when entering the Hlaalu Vaults with MGSO

"StreamWarning: Model

'Meshes\a\A_Glass_Boots_GND.nif' tex not found
'armor\tx_w_crystal_blade_glow.dds'!"

I assume this will call for more deletions, but I don't want to go off all half cocked.

On the upside, the crash on loading of a save issues have cleared up from earlier.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Darth Brooks posted:

If you've played Morrowind a few times you may not want to spend a month getting up to level 10. Sometimes it's fun to find your particular favorite shortcut and kick around the game knowing you don't have to worry about too much. (Even so, no matter how powerful your character is there's going to be someone or something to kick your rear end)

I find that as long as I've played the game, it's hard to not go past the fifth or tenth when console commanding and then go nuts with it, giving me godlike powers.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Another screwy prompt, this time when entering the Hlaalu Vaults with MGSO

"StreamWarning: Model

'Meshes\a\A_Glass_Boots_GND.nif' tex not found
'armor\tx_w_crystal_blade_glow.dds'!"

I assume this will call for more deletions, but I don't want to go off all half cocked.

On the upside, the crash on loading of a save issues have cleared up from earlier.

I have something like that error, too. Don't know what causes it. Obviously safe to run with, just a bit annoying.

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
Can anyone recommend me a housing mod that doesn't have free daedric armour sets or dirt-cheap enchanters hanging around, and doesn't give you a place half the size of Vivec for nothing? Although failing that I can just do what I used to as a kid, which is to break into a house whose occupant isn't at home and live there forever.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Dr Snofeld posted:

Can anyone recommend me a housing mod that doesn't have free daedric armour sets or dirt-cheap enchanters hanging around, and doesn't give you a place half the size of Vivec for nothing? Although failing that I can just do what I used to as a kid, which is to break into a house whose occupant isn't at home and live there forever.

I'm partial to Private Mobile Base. Although it is a huge house, it is modular, and all the pieces together cost like 10 million. Comes with an alchemy room, storage, bedrooms, a display room, swimming pool, combat arena with summonable monsters, a teleport system, and a room that connects to all the propyl on chambers. Very cool, might be bigger than what you're looking for, not unbalanced though.

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

You all have definitely have me beat but I'd like think I've got a pretty nice-looking mod loadout on my Macbook Pro with integrated graphics.

Vvardenfell:

Tamriel Rebuilt:

And a Solstheim shot for good measure:

I think those Ashlands trees I've got are the least lore-friendly mod I have installed, but whatever, I'm pleading CHIM :kiddo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malsgrein
Nov 29, 2005

Dr Snofeld posted:

The Indy Bank mod includes some purchasable properties that are reasonable and fit within the cities they're added to. I've actually never been able to afford one, but I don't think there's anything "cheaty" in them.