Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Tamron 70-300 VC is worth looking at. Comes in under 400 bucks new, performs pretty well too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I have the best taste in this whole damn place
Thanks for the tips, I figure I'll go with the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 USM Macro. Is a flash vital for macro photography, or can I make do without for a while? If and when I do decide to get one, is the Sigma Electronic Macro Flash EM-140 an ok alternative?

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Is there a way to lube the focus mechanism of a prime, manual focus lens? I just bought a BGN grade 50mm f/1.4 Minolta Rokkor-X that's pretty clean, except that the focus is just tight as all hell near the close focus end of the range.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I disassembled a Helios 55mm by entering from the lens mount, reassembling the lens mount was a real pain to get the focus alignment right with the markings though.

It was fairly straight forward, maybe 3-4 major components and a few screws.

You may be able to lube it up by just removing the lens mount and getting a spray nozzle in there. I prefer PTFE+Lithium Grease, it doesn't run too much and stays in there.

George Sex - REAL
Dec 1, 2005

Bisssssssexual
So I'm interested in a 5D. The price on Amazon is decent, but the price on this website.... http://negrielectronics.com/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-body-digital-camera-black.html

Is 100 dollars cheaper. I sent them an email and they told me it was sealed, new and came with a 1 year factory warranty. I've checked around the internet and from what I gather, the website SEEMS legit.

Anyone have any experience with this "Negri Electronics" and should I worry about buying my camera from here vs. Amazon?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I remember hearing most sites with really cheap camera deals have some kind of scam, things like battery and charger are separate, or they make you buy a shady warranty or something.

It might be alright but I'd prefer a dealer I knew for this kind of expensive might-break type of thing.

powderific
May 13, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I have no idea, but nine thousand dollars as the regular price is pretty hilarious.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

longview posted:

I remember hearing most sites with really cheap camera deals have some kind of scam, things like battery and charger are separate, or they make you buy a shady warranty or something.

It might be alright but I'd prefer a dealer I knew for this kind of expensive might-break type of thing.

What some places will do is call you after you place an order and try to upsell you a bunch of crap like memory cards, cases, etc. If you refuse and just say you want the camera, your order magically can't be filled because they're out of stock and they cancel it.

I have no idea if that's what this place does though.

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

Dorkopotamis posted:

So I'm interested in a 5D. The price on Amazon is decent, but the price on this website.... http://negrielectronics.com/canon-eos-5d-mark-ii-body-digital-camera-black.html

Is 100 dollars cheaper. I sent them an email and they told me it was sealed, new and came with a 1 year factory warranty. I've checked around the internet and from what I gather, the website SEEMS legit.

Anyone have any experience with this "Negri Electronics" and should I worry about buying my camera from here vs. Amazon?

If you don't mind buying refurbished, check out Canon's refurb shop. It also wouldn't hurt to call and see if they're doing the loyalty discount for the 5D2, where you send in a broken Canon camera (Any kind to my knowledge) and they'll knock 20% off.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Could just be a grey market reseller, except you wouldn't normally get a manufacturer's warranty. They might be perfectly legit, but for $100 I'd go through Amazon and be sure.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

longview posted:

I disassembled a Helios 55mm by entering from the lens mount, reassembling the lens mount was a real pain to get the focus alignment right with the markings though.

It was fairly straight forward, maybe 3-4 major components and a few screws.

You may be able to lube it up by just removing the lens mount and getting a spray nozzle in there. I prefer PTFE+Lithium Grease, it doesn't run too much and stays in there.

I'll give it a shot. I'm a bit worried about lithium grease in this situation, seems kinda goopy despite lasting a long time. Think it'd be possible to use that graphite-dust kinda of lube, and then blow off anything that fell into the lens?

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I've never used it, might work. The lens I disassembled had the optics in a mostly sealed tube inside the outer assembly, so there was no real way for it to leak.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I put a polarizing filter on one of my Amazon wish lists, more for my own memory than anything else, and when I clicked on it through the list, a warning popped up notifying me that someone 'may have' purchased it for me, so..guess I know at least one gift I'm getting this year :) The filter size was 77mm, which I think is on the larger side of things. So, if I were to buy http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Anod...+adapter+rings, that should pretty much take care of adapting to most all lenses, correct? Also, what kind of adverse effects will I notice when using these step-up adapters?

ReptilePicasso
Jul 22, 2010

GobiasIndustries posted:

I put a polarizing filter on one of my Amazon wish lists, more for my own memory than anything else, and when I clicked on it through the list, a warning popped up notifying me that someone 'may have' purchased it for me, so..guess I know at least one gift I'm getting this year :) The filter size was 77mm, which I think is on the larger side of things. So, if I were to buy http://www.amazon.com/Fotodiox-Anod...+adapter+rings, that should pretty much take care of adapting to most all lenses, correct? Also, what kind of adverse effects will I notice when using these step-up adapters?

I'm not an expert on filters but I'm guessing you won't be able to use a lens hood if you step up from 58mm since the rings might hit the hood.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Unless the hood's designed for it (with a cutout so you can reach the thread) using a CPL with a deep hood is an exercise in frustration.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.

evil_bunnY posted:

Unless the hood's designed for it (with a cutout so you can reach the thread) using a CPL with a deep hood is an exercise in frustration.

Should have bought Pentax

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

longview posted:

Should have bought Pentax

Yeah, I really do not get why other manufacturers have not done this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Yeah, I really do not get why other manufacturers have not done this.
Patented hole technology!

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
Same reason they charge an outrageous sum for the hoods in the first place.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
I believe the first lens to have a sliding door for the polarizer was the Minolta 70-200 SSM. A tradition handily carried on to its Sony progeny.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
I got a pinhole lens for my NEX. Thanks to the NEX-5N's high ISO capabilities, I can actually do handheld shots with it in reasonable light.

One neat thing to do is that if you wear glasses, take them off and look through the pinhole by putting it up to your eye. You can see almost as clearly as with glasses on.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

HPL posted:

I got a pinhole lens for my NEX. Thanks to the NEX-5N's high ISO capabilities, I can actually do handheld shots with it in reasonable light.

One neat thing to do is that if you wear glasses, take them off and look through the pinhole by putting it up to your eye. You can see almost as clearly as with glasses on.

Which one'd you get? Got any shots up yet?

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

evil_bunnY posted:

Patented hole technology!

Even if Pentax does have a patent, I'd imagine you could just buy the entire company for about tree fiddy.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Clayton Bigsby posted:

Even if Pentax does have a patent, I'd imagine you could just buy the entire company for about tree fiddy.

Ricoh beat you to that, sorry!

FasterThanLight
Mar 26, 2003

I hope the GRD-V is available in professional purple.

Clayton Bigsby
Apr 17, 2005

Mr. Despair posted:

Ricoh beat you to that, sorry!

And so did Hoya, but once Ricoh realizes there is not much profit to be made in selling (well engineered) premium crop bodies to people who will never buy a new lens since a mold-ridden 1970s Takumar is God's gift to photographers Pentax will probably be passed on to the next suitor.

longview
Dec 25, 2006

heh.
I'm actually working on buying a full set of DA Limited primes, I have the 15 and 21 now, next will probably be the 70, since I already have a FA 35/2.

They aren't super amazing in measurements and corner sharpness and geometric distortion, but I in order don't care much, sort of like it and it's fine if you stop down and it can be corrected in post automatically.
The build quality though, I can sit for hours fondling them.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

Noia posted:

I'm looking to get a macro lens for my 450D so I'll be able to take detailed closeups of purty flowers, human eyes, insects, etc.
Got the Tamron 17-50, Sigma 8-16, Canon 55-200 and Canon 50mm 1.8 from before.

Anyone have any recommendations? I'm looking to spend around 800 to 1000$. Preferably closer to the former, unless there is a huge gap in quality.

I'm not sure why everyone specified the non-L 100mm macro but I can definitely say the L model is incredible too. It will make you wonder why your other lenses aren't as sharp. Also the IS can be handy and it's within your price range.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

HPL posted:

That's slightly mindblowing. I'm going to have to try that!

Any particular recommendations for pinhole "lenses"? eBay is full of cheap Chinese / whatever versions in any mount, is there a brand that might actually be worth the cost of shipping? Or is a laser-drilled hole in a piece of steel glued to a gussied-up body cap pretty much the same across the range?

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.

Radbot posted:

Which one'd you get? Got any shots up yet?

Got the Holga pinhole lens for NEX.

ExecuDork posted:

That's slightly mindblowing. I'm going to have to try that!

Any particular recommendations for pinhole "lenses"? eBay is full of cheap Chinese / whatever versions in any mount, is there a brand that might actually be worth the cost of shipping? Or is a laser-drilled hole in a piece of steel glued to a gussied-up body cap pretty much the same across the range?

The Holga lens is okay, but it ring flares like crazy when pointed anywhere near the sun.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

ExecuDork posted:

Honestly, if you have access to a hand drill and a spare bodycap, its probably not even worth it to buy a premade one.

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

mr. stefan posted:

Honestly, if you have access to a hand drill and a spare bodycap, its probably not even worth it to buy a premade one.

Depends on which premade one. A lovely one made from a plastic body cap? Yeah, it'll suck. Laser cut pinholes are the poo poo, though, they're very small and very round and thus make a pretty perfect aperture. Some people use apertures for electron microscopes.

i am kiss u now
Dec 26, 2005

College Slice
Purchased a slightly used (practically new) Canon 70-200mm f/4 IS and after 1 hour of owning it, I'm already in love :swoon:

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

If you know the words, you can join in too
He's bigger! faster! stronger too!
He's the newest member of the Jags O-Line crew!
Thinking about the Odin Transmitter/Receiver... http://www.amazon.com/Phottix-Flash...ords=odin+flash

One thing I realized I want to do is be able to trigger a 2nd flash with a flash attached to the camera (without using something like a mounting bracket). Are there options for this? Or do I have to use RF?

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Don't most flashes have a slave mode where they'll fire off of another flash? I know my cheapo yongnuo flash will happily trigger from across the room using my onboard flash as a trigger. Is that not an option for whatever reason?

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

Mr. Despair posted:

Don't most flashes have a slave mode where they'll fire off of another flash? I know my cheapo yongnuo flash will happily trigger from across the room using my onboard flash as a trigger. Is that not an option for whatever reason?

My issue there is range & flexibility. It needs to be in clear site and pointed at it most times.

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
What are you using? Optical slaves (on good equipment, anyway) are much more sensitive and less picky than system flashes using pulse triggering. If you've got a hotshoe flash with a PC socket, you can pop a Wein Peanut or something similar in there to get optical slaving.

Munkaboo
Aug 5, 2002

I've got a 7D and a 580 EXII, but down the line I'd like to remote trigger another flash with my a future flash on top of the camera for events (concerts, weddings).

I'd also like the option of having both flashes set up elsewhere with just a transmitter on the camera. I feel like those are two very different things.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lenstip has a review up for the new Sigma 35/1.4. It's basically the best fast 35 they've tested this far, which says quite a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Munkaboo posted:

I've got a 7D and a 580 EXII, but down the line I'd like to remote trigger another flash with my a future flash on top of the camera for events (concerts, weddings).

I'd also like the option of having both flashes set up elsewhere with just a transmitter on the camera. I feel like those are two very different things.

Put flash on camera.
Plug camera into transmitter via PC Sync.
Put external flash on to or connect flash to receiver via PC Sync.